three guitarists???

PDA

View Full Version : three guitarists???

woodyfromaus
01-16-2006, 07:13 AM
hey
me and a couple of mates want to start a band and were wondering if three guitarists is workable?? like not in every song but yeh is it possible and would it sound alrite????

ixque
01-16-2006, 07:15 AM
do not play the same thing all three together, especialy with distortion cause the soud will suck horrible

Guitar_Joe
01-16-2006, 07:16 AM
yeah id say so one of you oculd alway just play power chords as the bass if there weren't enough parts to go around

SvnStringMaster
01-16-2006, 07:18 AM
two words, iron maiden

Rocker4500
01-16-2006, 07:27 AM
Easy -

Lead guitar plays solos and melodic fills,
Rhythm guitar plays power chords and other riffs,
3rd guitar plays acoustic and strums/picks open chord shapes.

woodyfromaus
01-16-2006, 07:59 AM
two words, iron maiden

yeh mate i know bout iron maiden but only one of our guitarists is anywhere near that level....

skydogzoso1986
01-16-2006, 08:01 AM
listen to other bands that have 3 guitarists like fe lynyrd skynyrd. they manage to do very different things like playing slide on several songs

BlakeIsAGod
01-16-2006, 08:12 AM
In my band we have 3 guitars, and heres how it works for us: 2 of the guitars play harmonized lead parts while I play rhythm and sing. It works out really well for us. Also they both have diffrent skills and strengths. One of them is really good at writing killer licks & riffs(Intro to "I Want to Conquer the World" By Bad Religion), while the other can write amazing solos(Led Zeppelin,A7X) while i write the really quick 2-6 note melodic riffs(the prechorus riff in "Lets Hear It For Love" by the Smoking Popes) . You should figure out everyones strengths and weaknesses and really base everyones parts off of that.

EZLN libertad
01-16-2006, 08:21 AM
have one guitarist doin like rhythm, and the other 2 doing individual notes or whatever, nothing to complicated

kaliba
01-16-2006, 08:24 AM
yup it can be done just look around and you'll see. just remeber its not a contest with each other... unless its a contempory band. just working out where to harmonise and what style you want. another band to look at is radiohead. but you'll find on alot of albums many guitars have been dubbed in a song

Sir Edwin CBE
01-16-2006, 11:07 AM
You could have a band with 4 guitarists and 2 bassists if you really wanted to.

#1 guitar - lead
#2 guitar - power chords
#3 guitar - power chords an octave up/down
#4 guitar - open chords

#1 bass - harmony with lead guitar
#2 bass - chord roots

PICKS r4 DICKS
01-20-2006, 05:50 PM
i think lynyrd skynyrd had 3 guitarist, but im not sure. but id say have a lead do like solos and single note riffs, then have a rhythm do what the bass is doing, then have a rhythm playing something diffrent from the bass and rhythm-bass. and never have 3 distortions, one at the most. if you have 2 the person on clean will get drowned out.

-12point6-bass-
01-21-2006, 09:47 AM
Sir Edwin CBE: Now you mention it I was actually at one point going to be in a band with 2xbass. In fact, I think if you work on it I could be pulled off. And then you would have an awsome sounding band... IMO obviously.

Woody: It would work fine. Same goes as I said above though you'll need to get these three guitarists together and work on some sort of sound that works. If you think it will sound good go for it.

Punk Rocker
01-21-2006, 11:24 AM
i think that would be awesome. My bandmates wouldnt hear of it but I think that would rock,literaly.

Hardin
01-21-2006, 02:13 PM
Have one do Rythmn, one do lead, and one can be the miscillaneous...have that third person do fills, open chords, acoustic guitar, slide guitar, etc. worked out fine for my band until we realized that our third gutarist had a nipple ring so we kicked him out

freedom35
01-21-2006, 02:19 PM
Hey, It can't be that bad, hell my first band had a singer Seven guitarists, a bassist, and a drummer <--- No Joke

california girl
01-21-2006, 05:05 PM
3 guitars, of course, good idea. just gotta split the earnings among more people tho, lol
hate that! :D

mishra
01-22-2006, 12:25 AM
or, you could have the rhythm guitarist, and two lead guitarists that trade off solos and whatnot.

apc--ibanez
01-22-2006, 06:22 AM
Hey, It can't be that bad, hell my first band had a singer Seven guitarists, a bassist, and a drummer <--- No Joke

how did that work?

lead_zeppelin
01-22-2006, 06:36 AM
Sure, Iron Maiden's lead guitar is played by two guitarists and it KICKS ASS! :D

semus
01-22-2006, 08:51 AM
ye, ppl said it before - Iron Maiden.

they have 3 guitarists.
but dont do it unless u know how.
not everyone is iron maiden :)
they combine the guitars in a very origianl way, and uses it the way it should be used,
they dont just get 3 guitar players to do the same thing...

the only negative part is that they all want to solo...

GreenDayChris
01-27-2006, 09:24 AM
yeah, but as others said don't have anyone playing the exact same part, using different chord shapes, like your CAGED system, or harmonise the lead.

chris4
01-27-2006, 06:24 PM
I'm sure it's workable. The Beatle started out with three guitarists and Lynyrd Skynyrd has their signature 3 guitar sound. It might even help to make your band unique from others in your area. Good luck.

Malte
01-28-2006, 09:12 AM
is one of the guitar players also involved in singing?
gt. 1: lead
gt. 2: rhythm
gt. 3 (singer): additional rhythm in chorus

Ryboy6767
02-16-2006, 09:37 PM
yeah other than iron maiden, switchfoot does it for some of their songs. if youve heard their newest single "stars" its awesome cause its a really rich sound.

nOtReGiStErEd
02-19-2006, 08:21 PM
You can work out riffs (rythm) for two guitars and have another playing melody lines. Check out some Zwan, escpecially live footage, as they had three guitarists.

tonello
03-23-2011, 09:40 PM
When I picked up guitar in High School, some friends asked me to join their band as singer. I told them I didn't want to just sing, so I asked to also play rhythm guitar and the other two could switch off rhythm and lead duties. Currently, we have written 12 songs for our strange musical combo, consisting of 2 lead guitarists/ backing vocals, 1 rhythm guitarist/ clean vocals, 1 bassist/ unclean (screamed and "throaty") vocals, and a drummer. It works out, you just gotta know how to do it. I think that if you decide to do it, if one is a singer, I'd have the other two play lead (I occasionally take lead on songs that need only a simple solo) and the singer play rhythm. Look at the Foo Fighters or Iron Maiden. It is definitely comprehensible.

kangaxxter
03-24-2011, 12:42 AM
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Why'd you bump this? This thread has been around in the forums for longer than you have.

AlanHB
03-24-2011, 01:29 AM
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Why'd you bump this? This thread has been around in the forums for longer than you have.

It's amazing what old threads people find.

tonello, this thread was made about 5 years ago. In the future just pay attention to the date up the top, and if you're really keen to make a post on this topic don't worry, every 2-3 weeks people post the same topic again.

Mithaearon
03-24-2011, 05:19 AM
Can't see why not. Lots of great bands have three guitarists suchs as Pearl Jam and (now that Pat Smear is back) Foo Fighters

It is slightly harder as you all have to watch what you play so it doesn't come out as a muddy mess but with a little practice and thought it can sound quite good.