our sound needs HELP

PDA

View Full Version : our sound needs HELP

Chancelor101
01-16-2006, 08:09 PM
me and 2 friends are going to start a band (were looking for a drummer and singer). We just bought a crappy PA system just to be a little louder. But me and the other guitarist have way different amps so it sounds way different. should we try to use the same amps or what? we dont have much money or anything so dont tell me to get a million cabs or somthing....lol. AND when we all get together the other guys never get serious, they just sit there and play random crap, while i sit there frustated and confused, how can i tell them to get serious? AND the bassist doesnt think we should make our own songs. he thinks all people want to hear is cover songs. How can i get him in the mood to write original songs?

sorry kinda long

TrappedUnderIce
01-16-2006, 08:11 PM
In my opinion get new band members.

Al least in my town, there's almost NO SCENE for cover bands.

Chancelor101
01-16-2006, 08:16 PM
thats what im saying, cover bands are gay..... i dont want to play master of puppets my whole life. lol. o and the part about getting new members, theyre like my best friends thed be pissed.

KaLiStO
01-16-2006, 08:17 PM
same thing happened to me in high school. Get new band members, or you and your friend learn drums and attempt to sing, then start recording songs by multitracking. If you give your other band members something to listen to, they'll get more motivated to learn it, it's hard to start from scratch with the whole group together.

druz15_UG
01-16-2006, 08:18 PM
Yeah man my bands like that. We need a singer. the drummer is real good and he and I are quite serious but the other guitarist\bassist just pisses around if we wont play what he wants to play

druz15_UG
01-16-2006, 08:20 PM
And plus the guitarist in question is like my 2nd best friend, well.. maybe 3rd, and if I ditch him, not only will he be pissd 4 eva, there are like, no good rhythm guitarists @ mi school

That_Pink_Queen
01-16-2006, 08:23 PM
^Type correctly...you just look dumb. And don't double post. Thanks.

druz15_UG
01-16-2006, 08:27 PM
^^ sorry, too much cellphone use!!!

Chancelor101
01-16-2006, 08:27 PM
well they have alot less experience than me (not bragging) and i dont want to try and be the boss, its just they turn there stuff up real loud when im trying to make somehting and then i cant hear what im playing so i get pissed and quit, and all they do is "HEY LETS MASTER OF PUPPETS AND FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS OVER AND OVER!!!" and the reason why the bassist doesnt want to make any songs is because his friend (35 year old crack attict who plays guitar) tells him that people dont want to hear your own music. o and highscool gets in the way too. lol, i have issues.

druz15_UG
01-16-2006, 08:34 PM
^^^ Holy crap you are in like, the exact same position as me!!! I'm better than the other guitarist (he actually can't even change to another chord very well cause he's so busy trying to solo!!) and his tiny 2w amp can't compete with my 120w so he makes me turn mine down, then cranks his full and gets mad when I turn mine up. Yesterday at band practice we played 'One' by metallica and he wanted to play the lead part but he couldn't rememmber it so we sat there for 10 minutes while he figured it out, and I told him like 10 times that I already knew it and finally he said , oh, ok I'll play rhyhtm then... then he couldn't rememmber that either!!!

Chancelor101
01-16-2006, 08:39 PM
you might as well be my twin....lol maybe we should ditch our bands and make our own? lol.

druz15_UG
01-16-2006, 08:42 PM
Probably won't work. I live in New Zealand, a small island a few hundred miles away from Australia

EDIT: small "hole" of an island.

Not actually that small, just too far away from anyone who cares about rock

Chancelor101
01-16-2006, 08:44 PM
o jesus i didnt know people lived in new zealand lol. all i know about that place is lord of the rings was made there lol. i live in weird ass america lol.

druz15_UG
01-16-2006, 08:45 PM
yeah, nobody knows about us... because we are all hobbits!!!

Chancelor101
01-16-2006, 08:53 PM
hobbits are cool lol.

Dutch_Apples
01-16-2006, 11:45 PM
Anyone who says cover bands are gay usually plays 1 gig every few months. I think it's important for EVERY band to know some covers no matter what level they are at, especially if they are starting out. I don't know where that guy lives, but in my area.. there is almost no scene for ORIGINAL music. Let me put it this way:

I know of this one band who has been in the area for over 10 years. They play mostly covers but have released a few CDs, got plenty of press/media, radio play, etc. They make $3,000-$5,000 a gig and I heard a few days ago that they make over $150,000 a year just doing music. That's not bad for doing covers, is it? Will they ever land a major record deal? Probably not, but it's important to know the story behind this.

I also agree that you should find serious band members. I remember when I was younger and experienced the same thing you did. This was about 5-6 years ago. Everyone I know who did that back then no longer plays an instrument! Think about the future.

Don't worry about the same amps. When birthdays, summer jobs, Christmas comes around you can get better equipment then.

Freunleven
01-17-2006, 08:20 AM
Every band plays covers. Most people don't start out writing their own material, or just wake up one day and out of the blue decide to pick up a guitar. Usually, there is some sort of inspiration - a song or album that just lights the fire inside of the person - and they learn to play the songs that they want to listen to. The songs that inspire them.

If I'm not mistaken, even "famous" and "successful" bands play covers when they play live. Metallica even released a two-disc set of cover tunes a few years back.

However, if you want to record your own material, get with the drummer and multitrack a few tunes. Maybe borrow the bassist's . . . . uh, bass and put the bassline under it. Make a few copies, and give them to the other guys in the band. If they don't like the songs, look around for another singer to put vocals over top of 'em. Just remember to make it clear that you're not trying to break the band up - you just want another outlet for your creativity.

Once you've got a nice three-song (or more) demo of original material, let some people who aren't in your band listen to it. If the response is positive, get back with the other two guys and let them know what's going on. If they'd like to add these new songs to your set, that's cool. If not, it's nothing personal, but now you and the drummer have another band (once you find a bassist, and maybe another guitar player).

As far as staying focused goes, even when learning covers, my band will pick a song at the end of one practice for everyone to have learned when we come back for the next practice. We each take turns picking the next song, so everyone's influences are covered. It's led to an interesting mix of tunes - Weezer, Metallica, Blues Traveller, Disturbed, Eric Clapton, Guns 'n' Roses, etc. There are some songs that I don't particularly like, but I play 'em to keep everyone else happy and together.

Dong ma?

:satan:

Chancelor101
01-17-2006, 08:34 PM
that really gave me an idea of what to do Freunleven. Thanks everyone.