Agalloch

PDA

View Full Version : Agalloch

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Broadsword
11-20-2008, 10:19 PM
Hopefully you'll enjoy it - it's practically essential for any fan of Agalloch, Folk, and Black metal.

And @ Calm: I'll most likely have the I Troldskog Faren Vild tab done by this weekend, both a powertab and GP.

Broadsword
11-21-2008, 06:37 PM
Double post because I'm awesome.

I just finished and submitted the only I Troldskog Faren Vild GP tab in existence. :p:

If for some reason it doesn't get accepted, here's the Gp5/Gp4/MIDI of it. I'll have a powertab done probably tomorrow. I'd say this tab is anywhere from 85%-90% accurate. Some of the note placements and durations during the solos are off, I still can't make up my mind whether nor not there's actually octaves in the chorus-y riff, and I'm unsure about the riff before, during, and after the first two solos.

But enjoy.

:cheers:

BringMeTheCalm
11-21-2008, 07:17 PM
Dude you should have posted that in the Ulver thread. It's not even a "hot thraaad" yet... :(

Also this sounds wicked right.

dminishedthingy
11-21-2008, 11:20 PM
i love having a unique tab
that is, until someone exports your GP file as text and posts it on some other website without giving you credit :mad:

Broadsword
11-22-2008, 12:25 AM
Dude you should have posted that in the Ulver thread. It's not even a "hot thraaad" yet... :(

Also this sounds wicked right.

Ack, I know, I know... but I already said in this thread I'd do it, and the only people that would look at the Ulver thread would be... well, you guys. :haha

I'm thinking about tackling Ghost... next. I've got everything before the first verse, but after that, I know it's gonna be fucking tricky. There's a lot of stuff going on in some sections.

And I'll have a good deal of free time during the holidays... anyone got some requests?

Dmnished: Personal experience?

Taydr
11-22-2008, 01:56 AM
i love having a unique tab
that is, until someone exports your GP file as text and posts it on some other website without giving you credit :mad:
I've never understood why anyone would do this. Just seems stupid to me, I mean sure you can pass off the work as your own, but the chances are no-ones gonna care anyway (however I do appreciate the work tabbers put in). Seems like a waste of time to me.

Hopefully you'll enjoy it - it's practically essential for any fan of Agalloch, Folk, and Black metal.
Absolutely love it, well what I've heard of it. Somehow I managed to get sidetracked about two minutes into I Troldskog Faren Vild. Listening to it again now though and it sounds amazing.

And I'll have a good deal of free time during the holidays... anyone got some requests?
I would love for the drum line to be added to the existing Limbs tab. Tried it myself but either my ears or the tabs wrong and I mucked it up by about 20 bars in. Also I don't know how you feel about doing power metal, but I'd love a GP of Manowars version of Nessun Dorma.

Magero
11-22-2008, 02:28 AM
^I believe Marskell has a drummed out tab for Limbs.
He did quite well.

Taydr
11-22-2008, 02:50 AM
^I believe Marskell has a drummed out tab for Limbs.
He did quite well.
Did he upload it? The only version I found on here doesn't have the drums.

korinaflyingv
11-22-2008, 06:13 AM
Manowars version of Nessun Dorma.
is one of the most hilarious pieces of music i have ever heard

Marskell
11-22-2008, 06:30 AM
Did he upload it? The only version I found on here doesn't have the drums.
i tried to upload it dude and they didnt accept it

add us on msn and i can send you the one i did

pm me for addy

Broadsword
11-22-2008, 11:44 AM

Noooooooo, your avatar. :(

misanthropy_inc
11-22-2008, 11:47 AM
Noooooooo, your avatar. :(qft :sad:

korinaflyingv
11-22-2008, 11:48 AM
... my avatar wasn't that good....

:(

misanthropy_inc
11-22-2008, 11:49 AM
... my avatar wasn't that good....

:(qfl :sad:

poopsmith666
11-22-2008, 11:49 AM
change it back. I will never remember who you are otherwise

korinaflyingv
11-22-2008, 11:51 AM
it's on my other computer...

dminishedthingy
11-22-2008, 04:19 PM
there's nothing wrong with a little change every now and then, right?...

and yes, i've seen a text version of my tab somewhere :haha

korinaflyingv
11-22-2008, 04:28 PM
so does nobody like my new face of tumnus avatar?

poopsmith666
11-22-2008, 04:38 PM
nope. every single human being hates it except you.

korinaflyingv
11-22-2008, 04:43 PM
*waits for the person who drew it to stumble upon this thread*

Taydr
11-22-2008, 05:30 PM
i tried to upload it dude and they didnt accept it

add us on msn and i can send you the one i did

pm me for addy
Why wouldn't it be accepted. It's not like there's an abundance of Agalloch tabs. Anyway PM coming.

Yep, and I wanna perform it as a joke at school. Sorta pretend to be all serious about doing one of the greatest arias ever, and then wam, Manowar. And I'd still pass solo performance with it.

korinaflyingv
11-22-2008, 05:46 PM
Yep, and I wanna perform it as a joke at school. Sorta pretend to be all serious about doing one of the greatest arias ever, and then wam, Manowar. And I'd still pass solo performance with it.
phewww

Taydr
11-22-2008, 05:57 PM
phewww
Though I was thinking of doing Van Cantos version of Kings of Metal as my serious performance :p:.

But in all seriousness and back on topic, I'll probably do Hallways of Enchanted Ebony for one of my solos next year, unless anyone has any other suggestions, and a good reason for me to consider changing what I concentrate on.

korinaflyingv
11-22-2008, 06:02 PM
Though I was thinking of doing Van Cantos version of Kings of Metal as my serious performance :p:.
lol, just looked this band up. best cover band ive heard in a while

Taydr
11-22-2008, 06:07 PM
lol, just looked this band up. best cover band ive heard in a while
Yeah, I got their album "Hero" yesterday, got some originals as well as covers. Couldn't stop laughing at the manowar cover. The cover of Fear of the dark is good as well. But their cover of wishmaster...... that was funny, but it's still good. Actually now that I think of it, it would be quite funny to hear them cover agalloch or opeth.

korinaflyingv
11-22-2008, 06:19 PM
A'cappella Agalloch would sound quite good, in a non-funny way, I think. As for A'cappella metal originals... doesn't sound the greatest thing ever, I'd rather just hear hilarious covers of songs I love.

Taydr
11-22-2008, 07:58 PM
A'cappella Agalloch would sound quite good, in a non-funny way, I think. As for A'cappella metal originals... doesn't sound the greatest thing ever, I'd rather just hear hilarious covers of songs I love.
I think that how it's done would decide if it's funny or not. Though it would work well if done right. But yeah the covers are definitely better than the originals.

Broadsword
11-22-2008, 07:59 PM
so does nobody like my new face of tumnus avatar?

Actually, you know what, keep it. It gives you an air of sophistacation (don't ask why...), and goes quite nicely with UG Classic.

Yes, everyone. UG Classic. I use it. Deal with it.

korinaflyingv
11-22-2008, 08:24 PM
UG Classic is the best. Or rather, I never bothered to change, and don't see any use in doing it now.

And I know you said don't ask.... but, why?

Broadsword
11-22-2008, 08:43 PM
Yeah, I said don't ask because I can't explain it. It just is. :p:

It's one of those kind of things...

korinaflyingv
11-22-2008, 08:48 PM
Fair enough. I must say it's odd to have a (I assume straight) man tell me I have an air of sophistication...

Broadsword
11-22-2008, 08:55 PM
I didn't realize that phrase had a sexuality connotation to it. :haha It must be different over the pond...

...or maybe I'm unknowingly gay. I'd prefer it to be the former.

Regardless, what Agalloch songs HAVEN'T been tabbed? I'm thinking of tackling Of Stone, Wind, and Pillor + Haunting Birds... what else is left?

BringMeTheCalm
11-22-2008, 08:59 PM
Of Stone Wind and Pillor has been tabbed.

You should make a power tab for Tomorrow Will Never Come. I find they make things easier. Also, You Were But A Ghost, Falling Snow, Our Fortress quadrilogy, The Wilderness, This Old Cabin, She Painted Fire III, I Am the Wooden Doors, PANTHEIST, and we need an Isle of Summer power tab / other less awesome MIDI tab thing.

Broadsword
11-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Only the intro. And if you're referring to the Powertab you showed me waaaaay back when, quite a bit is missing/wrong, if memory serves me right.

I think dminished said he was working on SPF III. I'll take up OSWAP, This Old Cabin, and Pantheist. Falling Snow sometime, *possibly* Ghost in the not so near future, no way in hell for OFIB (rofl), The Wilderness I thought Blood(insert number here, can't remember) was working on, I have (not mine) a drumless GP version of I Am The Wooden Doors, and Isle of Summer maybe.

I'll say no to the Manowar, they are definitely NOT my thing, sorry. :(

BringMeTheCalm
11-22-2008, 09:16 PM
I dunno, I think the OSWAP power tab is pretty solid. It just doesn't have the acoustic guitar, but that uses the same chords as the as the distorted intro so it doesn't matter.

Broadsword
11-22-2008, 09:25 PM
It's been awhile, so I may be wrong. Could you upload it here? I may as well turn it into a GP anyways.

BringMeTheCalm
11-22-2008, 09:32 PM
Well it's in this thread somewhere. I don't want to upload it as it's not my work...

Taydr
11-22-2008, 09:41 PM
That's fine, it was really just an idea for a joke. If I go through with it I can just head on over to the IMSLP/petrucci library thing and get the score there, or find a MIDI online and arrange it like Manowars version.

With Agalloch I think more GP's would be good, and some other tabs that are just intro's could be completed. Generally just fixing tabs and tabbing out untabbed songs. I'd do it myself but I can't transcribe by ear to save my life. I may still give it a go though, because as far as I'm concerned you can't get better at something you without doing it.

Broadsword
11-22-2008, 09:44 PM
I meant just post it again in this thread. :p: You could make me crawl through months of pages, and I know you for being three types of rogue and scoundrel, but surely you're not that cruel.

EDIT: ^ Aye, definitely. I spent a good ten minutes cursing at the computer for not being able to to get some of the solo in the Ulver right.

BringMeTheCalm
11-22-2008, 09:54 PM
I meant just post it again in this thread. :p: You could make me crawl through months of pages, and I know you for being three types of rogue and scoundrel, but surely you're not that cruel.

Oh, I tried that, but it only lets me post it here once...

So..

ON YOUR KNEES BOY. AND BE SURE TO CRAWL OVER THE SPIKES/INSECTS MADE OF FIRE.

Taydr
11-22-2008, 09:57 PM
EDIT: ^ Aye, definitely. I spent a good ten minutes cursing at the computer for not being able to to get some of the solo in the Ulver right.
Before my computer got wiped I had a program that slowed songs down without changing the pitch. Somehow I thought it would make things easier. Sure it made getting the notes slightly easier, but getting the rhythm went right out the window. Any tips for getting better other than just trying and trying?

EDIT: ^ You heartless bastard :p:

Broadsword
11-22-2008, 10:15 PM
Oh, I tried that, but it only lets me post it here once...

So..

ON YOUR KNEES BOY. AND BE SURE TO CRAWL OVER THE SPIKES/INSECTS MADE OF FIRE.

You can rename the zip file. :mad:

My old media player that came with my soundcard before it got zapped in a lightning storm could do that too, it was great for getting the notes in solos right. But the only advice I have (and it's not much, I've only tabbed two songs), is to always have a guitar with you when your figuring it out, along with GP. It's also handy if you know beforehand how scales and intervals sound. If you are familiar with them already, all you need to know is the key of the song and you're good to go.

Taydr
11-22-2008, 10:23 PM
My old media player that came with my soundcard before it got zapped in a lightning storm could do that too, it was great for getting the notes in solos right. But the only advice I have (and it's not much, I've only tabbed two songs), is to always have a guitar with you when your figuring it out, along with GP. It's also handy if you know beforehand how scales and intervals sound. If you are familiar with them already, all you need to know is the key of the song and you're good to go.
I have a rough idea of how scales and intervals sound, enough to generally recognize them. Having a guitar and GP at the same time will be a problem till I get a laptop though, as I can't exactly have my gat outta my room when anyone else is home, and the computer is in the dining room. Oh well, I'll do what I can anyway, maybe I'll have to get used to writing sheets again :shrug:

BringMeTheCalm
11-22-2008, 10:28 PM
You can rename the zip file. :mad:

Nope, still doesn't work...

Sorry.

Broadsword
11-22-2008, 10:36 PM

You can make a new zip file. With a new name.

You can rename the PT tab if you have to. Or even export that Pt tab into a midi. And still go through the previous processes.

OR, I can just transfer the song from my desktop to my laptop.

But I know, deep down inside your twisted form, you still have a heart.

BringMeTheCalm
11-22-2008, 10:44 PM
There is...no good in me.

Just kidding.

Luke... just once let me look at you with my own eyes...
-But if you take the mask off, you'll die..!
Nothing can stop... that now...

Broadsword
11-22-2008, 10:59 PM
:D

Somehow I'd knew you would incorporate a SW reference.... in some form or fashion.

BringMeTheCalm
11-22-2008, 11:00 PM
Naturally.

So hows about you go bump my lyrics thread in my sig. They're pretty basic, but they got no comments...

Broadsword
11-22-2008, 11:15 PM
Consider it done, good man.

Taydr
11-22-2008, 11:20 PM
So hows about you go bump my lyrics thread in my sig. They're pretty basic, but they got no comments...
Agalloch influenced? They're good, I may give them a full crit later when I feel up to it. But until then I'm not gonna go bumping it just to say well done.

Now perhaps you'll be kind enough to check out what I've got up for my solo project. Not much yet, but it ain't got any views. Links in the sig.

BringMeTheCalm
11-22-2008, 11:31 PM
Pretty good stuff man. It's very atmosphering. The bells really add to the atmosphere.

Broadsword
11-22-2008, 11:44 PM
I didn't particularly care for the keys but everything else was good. It made me feel like I was part of a ceremonial procession.

Taydr
11-23-2008, 12:00 AM
Thanks guys, nice to know it turned out alright. I don't have any recording gear so It was all done with GP and audacity. Thought it wouldn't work all that well, but I guess it did.

@BMTC: Atmospheric was what I was aiming for. Glad I achieved that.

@Broadsword: There aren't keys in that, it's a violin. Guess that didn't work so well.

Mr. Twelve
11-23-2008, 03:39 AM
I'm really drunk right now and Agalloch is perfecg. I can just zone out and be in tyhe zone. A bit redundent but whatever. hahahahahah.

korinaflyingv
11-23-2008, 07:25 AM
Now perhaps you'll be kind enough to check out what I've got up for my solo project. Not much yet, but it ain't got any views. Links in the sig.
That was really cool. The bells were nice, but I thought they were too high in the mix. I also thought it sounded more like an intro than a proper piece, are you going to develop it into a longer piece or leave it as it is?

seljer
11-23-2008, 10:21 AM
hmm.... do you pronounce Agalloch without the c?

2mins2midnite
11-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Agalloch is up there in my top list along with iron maiden megadeth dreamtheater and what not

Broadsword
11-23-2008, 12:17 PM
I'm really drunk right now and Agalloch is perfecg. I can just zone out and be in tyhe zone. A bit redundent but whatever. hahahahahah.

Exactly. :p:

@Broadsword: There aren't keys in that, it's a violin. Guess that didn't work so well.

Whoops. I thought it might be, but I didn't want to look like an idiot saying there was. Looks like it happened anyways haha.

Yeah, the production didn't really do it justice.

Taydr
11-23-2008, 04:17 PM
That was really cool. The bells were nice, but I thought they were too high in the mix. I also thought it sounded more like an intro than a proper piece, are you going to develop it into a longer piece or leave it as it is?
They are a little high in the mix, unfortunately no matter how much I tweaked around with it in audacity I couldn't get it right. It was either to high, or to low. Fortunately that's just a demo made with GP, and I plan on recording everything next year.

The idea I had for this demo/ep is to have a short piece as an intro and another as an outro to the album. The concept is an atmospheric, almost depressive quality throughout, so I wrote this piece to sorta bring that mood into it, while the outro (which I'll upload after running it through audacity) is "happier", sorta taking that mood away again, so as not to leave the listener in that "sadder" state. I hope that makes sense. But that piece is staying as is, apart from being recorded properly.

Whoops. I thought it might be, but I didn't want to look like an idiot saying there was. Looks like it happened anyways haha.

Yeah, the production didn't really do it justice.
It really doesn't come through very well. No matter what I did in audacity I couldn't make the violin sound any less "synthy", but like I say, it's just a demo, an idea of what the final thing will sound like, if you will.

But comments like this really help me. I know now that I will have to really work on my violin playing, or find someone who plays violin well to actually record the part, as opposed to using a synth. I also know that I can get away with synth bells, but I have to work on the final mix alot harder. Thank you all, I really appreciate it, it's nice to know that there's interest for stuff like this, and it motivates me to keep working on it.

Some other ideas I had were possibly doing a cover of an agalloch or ulver song, or arranging an atmospheric folk version of a song from another metal genre, perhaps tallulah by sonata arctica (I've already arranged it somewhat in GP). I don't know if any of you have heard of Emilie Autumn, but I was thinking perhaps of using electric violin and distortion pedal, to create almost a unique atmosphere, thats harsh, and yet soft depending on the overall atmosphere in the song. Any thoughts on these ideas?

Once again thank you, and if there's anything of yours you want me to listen to and comment on I'd be happy to.

korinaflyingv
11-23-2008, 05:45 PM
Ah cool. Well can't wait to hear the finished product, am really looking forward to it.

Once again thank you, and if there's anything of yours you want me to listen to and comment on I'd be happy to.
you could crit the agalloch cover and other tunes on my profile if you wish

dminishedthingy
11-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Only the intro. And if you're referring to the Powertab you showed me waaaaay back when, quite a bit is missing/wrong, if memory serves me right.

I think dminished said he was working on SPF III. I'll take up OSWAP, This Old Cabin, and Pantheist. Falling Snow sometime, *possibly* Ghost in the not so near future, no way in hell for OFIB (rofl), The Wilderness I thought Blood(insert number here, can't remember) was working on, I have (not mine) a drumless GP version of I Am The Wooden Doors, and Isle of Summer maybe.

damn, i've been gone one day and you've got one and a half new pages (on 30 PPP)

but SPF might take a while, its really hard to pick out...
i might try Ghost or This Old Cabin soon
/late

Taydr
11-23-2008, 10:26 PM
Did a bit of playing around on the violin just before, and I started to get a semi-decent sound out of it, so I thought "lets arrange an Agalloch lead part and get to working on playing". So what song is recommend for me to arrange? What do you guys think would be the easiest?

progbass
11-23-2008, 10:28 PM
atmosphere wise? Limbs fo sho. Replace those haunting guitar leads in the beginning with violins and other strings.

Hoes would through their panties at you for it.

dminishedthingy
11-23-2008, 10:43 PM
definitely, limbs would sound great
The Melancholy Spirit's solo would sound cool too

progbass
11-23-2008, 10:57 PM
I was just playing TMS on guitar...forgot how awesome it was

Taydr
11-24-2008, 01:12 AM
Limbs it is then. Somehow though I doubt it's gonna go to well. Nevermind, that'll be my holiday project, learning agalloch on the violin.

And for anyone interested I'm gonna try to get some recording time next week, so if I'm lucky I may have some final versions up in a couple weeks.

Marskell
11-24-2008, 04:17 AM
Taydr check your PM's

Taydr
11-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Taydr, do you have violin lessons? I'm not sure if I want to buy a violin because I keep hearing it's 'impossible' to learn it by yourself, but so far I've learned alot of things by myself.. Help me out! :)
Actually I don't take lessons. Me trying out the violin started when I was helping out with cleaning out our music departments store room. I saw a whole bunch of violins, and asked the HOD if I could take one home to play around with. I did ask why we didn't have string lessons at our school and he said it was because there was no interest :( . So I took it home about halfway through last year, sat down and tried to tune the thing. The e broke, so I left it for a while. About a month later I got new strings for it, tuned it up, and since then I've played around with it some.

First thing I learned was the first part of the four seasons (just the first couple phrases though). Now nearly a year after last playing, I picked it up again, and while I couldn't play any real tune, I was getting a decent sound out of it, and my notes were within about 20 cents of pitch. Just 10 minutes ago I got the "bouncing technique" down properly. All I did in the way of looking things up online was wiki for the tuning when I first got it.

So I would say that not only is it not impossible, it's not all that hard either. Although I think what enables me to pick it up and play so quickly and without much practice is a talent for music. I'm not trying brag, just saying that you may well find it harder than I did. I would definitely recommend online stuff at the very minimum though, and a teacher would be worth it, although from what I hear violin lessons are expensive, so that may well be out of the question for many people (including me).

If you can borrow a violin from somewhere, perhaps your school if you still go to school, or someone who plays violin, and see how you go before buying one yourself. If you think that you can teach yourself, and don't think buying a violin will eventually become a waste of money, then go for it. Just remember that they are expensive for the better quality ones, though I have seen some cheaper electric violins that sounded quite decent. Just like buying a guitar, you would have to try a number within your price range to find the one that's right.

I found these two sites in my bookmarks, so I presumably thought that they would be helpful when I first bookmarked them so I hope these can help you some with learning how to play.

Handbool of Violin Playing - Online Tutorial (http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/violin-playing/violin-playing.html)
Violin Lessons - Online Tutorial (http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/panda/13/mmst/less1.htm)

Hope all that helps you.

Broadsword
11-25-2008, 05:28 PM
I didn't expect to see violins being discussed in the Agalloch thread. :p:

Guess what time it is: yep, you guessed it, song-plugging time. This go 'round I'm ripping off later Katatonia and Opeth's Damnation, except it's almost pretty much bass driven - a first for me.

Crits/comments mucho appreciated. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1007444

GBcommander
11-25-2008, 07:24 PM
^That was a great song. I can defintely see the Damnation type influence in it. Although I do think your last one was better, I think this one is very well done for what you were trying to accomplish. Dont really have any complaints lol.

Broadsword
11-25-2008, 09:02 PM
Thanks man. And you, too, dminished.

BringMeTheCalm
11-25-2008, 10:35 PM
Yo guys, this is completely off topic, but I'm using Tuxguitar to write a song (that will sound Agallochian in nature) but um, my sound is gone. I don't know how to get it back and the problem isn't with the mixer or the computer speakers. What a load of wank.

Broadsword
11-25-2008, 10:37 PM
Did you listen to it as a midi file, by chance? Regardless, double click your sound icon on the tool bar and make sure the SW synth volume isn't muted. That's all I can think of.

dminishedthingy
11-25-2008, 10:37 PM
double click on the volume icon and make sure MIDI volume is turned up

Broadsword
11-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Beat you. :p:

Vict'ry is mine.

dminishedthingy
11-25-2008, 10:39 PM
haha damn...
i didn't realize what you said at first though, i read it as "Steven Wilson synth volume" :haha

BringMeTheCalm
11-25-2008, 10:43 PM
It randomly came back after I used power tab. I'm good now. Thanks guys. I still hate using computer programs to write stuff but sound makes it easier.

RedDeath9
11-25-2008, 10:48 PM
haha damn...
i didn't realize what you said at first though, i read it as "Steven Wilson synth volume" :haha

:haha

Yes, so among the songs I am writing right now is a Wintersun/Agalloch style song. You know, kinda symphonic, kinda melodic, kinda proggy.

Actually, it's going to sound more like Wintersun but I had to add Agalloch in there to keep it on-topic.

Broadsword
11-25-2008, 10:50 PM
How odd lol.

Now get teh writing - and thankee for the comment on my song. And to answer your question in the thread, aye, definitely vocals. The song was pretty much built around the imminent inclusion of vocals, although I don't have a vocal line down yet. :p:

I haven't written anything fellating Agalloch in a while... I think I'm gonna do an epic undertaking for my 20th song.

And wtf @ Steven Wilson volume... someone has spent a bit too much time the Opeth thread, methinks. ;)

BringMeTheCalm
11-25-2008, 10:55 PM
Haha I was going to go on an Agalloch binge before I listened to your song and realized I should write some songs.

Shortly after that I decided to **** electronic programs in order to compose natural folk. I decided it's either got to be pencil (not even pen) and paper or mind.

On that note, what are some very autumnal chords? I'm thinking F.

Broadsword
11-25-2008, 11:10 PM
I can't go a day without Guitar Pro. :( It's the most useful thing ever for writing songs, imo. It forced me to learn time signatures, and has pounded intervals, chords, and progressions into my head by experimenting around with note values. Although I dig the approach your taking... I somehow doubt Agalloch use GP haha.

Autumnal chords, ye say?

Some particular ones:

-0--0--0-----------
-0--0--3-----3--7
-2--0--0--0--0--0
-2--2--2--3--4--4
-0--3--3--3--5--5
----------1-------

I could go on for ages, but practically if it involves a third and open note in there somewhere you'll get "the feel." Of course, chord progressions play a large factor into this as well.

hippiebass
11-25-2008, 11:23 PM
G42Add9 sound good and the descending(or ascending) half step from/to the F makes it kind of sad sounding.

I just went camping on this really clam lake and in the morning there was mist all over the lake and we had a canoe, so i took this canoe out and almost got lost while listening to Agalloch on a misty lake full of alligators. It was pretty fun.

RedDeath9
11-25-2008, 11:36 PM
Some particular ones:

-0--0--0-----------
-0--0--3-----3--7
-2--0--0--0--0--0
-2--2--2--3--4--4
-0--3--3--3--5--5
----------1-------

Damn, I love all of those.

Broadsword
11-25-2008, 11:53 PM
a misty lake full of alligators. It was pretty fun.

RedDeath: Those are pretty much the templates to making those melancholic chords. Just switch around the base thirds with powerchords, keep an open note, and add a high end note wherever your finger can reach and if it's in key. :p:

RedDeath9
11-25-2008, 11:59 PM
Lately, I've doing more... using more... Chromaticism? In my chords/songs. I think it started when I made probably the evilest, most brooding chord progression I've ever done (in my DT song for that competition thing)

Broadsword
11-26-2008, 12:01 AM
I can't do crap if I try wielding chromatics. One time I wrote this death metal song and.... I don't like to talk about it.

You got a link to that song?

RedDeath9
11-26-2008, 12:04 AM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15335328&postcount=48

The chords that I'm talking about come in the second half of the song (bars 161-172)

yeah, I might have exaggerated when I said evilest and most brooding. :p:

EDIT: chromaticism is going out of scale/using "passing tones" or whatever, right?

hippiebass
11-26-2008, 12:13 AM

RedDeath: Those are pretty much the templates to making those melancholic chords. Just switch around the base thirds with powerchords, keep an open note, and add a high end note wherever your finger can reach and if it's in key. :p:
I've lived near water in Florida all my life, and I've found that alligators won't hurt you unless you find one of the ones that someone has fed before. They just attack on sight.

EDIT: chromaticism is going out of scale/using "passing tones" or whatever, right?
Passing tones are generally in key, chromaticism is using notes out of key, but it depends on what scale you're modulating around because sometime using notes out of key outlines another key like adding a #7 in a song in a natural minor key or adding a b3 in a song mostly in a major key.

Broadsword
11-26-2008, 12:21 AM
I think so... I'm no theory vocab buff but that sounds right.

That was cool song. Although I think the acoustics starting at bar 121 were more "evil" sounding lol.

And, ah, I think this thread has derailed a bit. To keep this hoss on the trail, the bass presence on Ashes: I'm glad they decided to make it a bit more pronounced, most noticeably on OFIB.

hippiebass
11-26-2008, 12:28 AM
AP Music Theory FTW!
Yeah the bass does sound good in AATG although it was also good in The White. Only kind of on topic but does anyone know how they recorded OFIB pt 3? I \'ve heard of like the wall of sound recording technique thing that some guy used in '51 I think, but Agalloch took it a little further. It had something to do with recording the echoes and stuff.

Taydr
11-26-2008, 01:46 AM
I can't go a day without Guitar Pro. :( It's the most useful thing ever for writing songs, imo. It forced me to learn time signatures, and has pounded intervals, chords, and progressions into my head by experimenting around with note values. Although I dig the approach your taking... I somehow doubt Agalloch use GP haha.

Autumnal chords, ye say?

Some particular ones:

-0--0--0-----------
-0--0--3-----3--7
-2--0--0--0--0--0
-2--2--2--3--4--4
-0--3--3--3--5--5
----------1-------

I could go on for ages, but practically if it involves a third and open note in there somewhere you'll get "the feel." Of course, chord progressions play a large factor into this as well.
All my writing these days is done on GP. Invaluable tool for musicians imo. Loving them chords as well. I just made a prog using the first four, and I have no doubt it's gonna become a full song.

Broadsword
11-27-2008, 01:20 PM
@ Hippie: I dunno, but whatever they did, the last half is godly.

@ Taydr: I wrote a song way back in the summer for a song competition in the Tabs and Chords forum, I made use of those types of chords quite a bit. If you wanna check it out: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=951350

And now, I present you all, after hours of work last night, the only Of Stone, Wind, And Pillor GP tab in existence, which I just submitted. I'd say it's about 95% correct - certainly much more than the powertab that BMTC found, which was awful in a lot of places. :( And before the point can be brought up, I only used that tab as a reference for note durations; everything else was tabbed by ear or I had already figured out previously, as a lot was missing/incorrect in the powertab.

Happy Thanksgiving. :)

EDIT: And by just submitted I meant midnight last night, it's already accepted. :p: *Proud tabber of two Agalloch songs*

BringMeTheCalm
11-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Good work, Broadsword. The world needs more Agalloch tabs even if they are for guitar pro...

Hey, speaking of GuitarPro/programs that are better because they are free and not GuitarPro, such as TuxGuitar... How does one let the notes ring on these programs for more realistic acoustic sounds?

dminishedthingy
11-27-2008, 02:58 PM
Guitar Pro isn't free?

<_<

>_>

Taydr
11-27-2008, 04:45 PM
@ Taydr: I wrote a song way back in the summer for a song competition in the Tabs and Chords forum, I made use of those types of chords quite a bit. If you wanna check it out: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=951350

And now, I present you all, after hours of work last night, the only Of Stone, Wind, And Pillor GP tab in existence, which I just submitted. I'd say it's about 95% correct - certainly much more than the powertab that BMTC found, which was awful in a lot of places. :( And before the point can be brought up, I only used that tab as a reference for note durations; everything else was tabbed by ear or I had already figured out previously, as a lot was missing/incorrect in the powertab.

Happy Thanksgiving. :)

EDIT: And by just submitted I meant midnight last night, it's already accepted. :p: *Proud tabber of two Agalloch songs*
I'll check that song out when I've got some more free time. Awesome that you tabbed out OSWaP.

Guitar Pro isn't free?

<_<

>_>
Nope, even the cheapest versions cost a few megs to "obtain".

Minor Ebonblood update for all who are interested: Title, track order, and album art have been decided, and there's another song uploaded.

korinaflyingv
11-27-2008, 04:56 PM
Minor Ebonblood update for all who are interested: Title, track order, and album art have been decided, and there's another song uploaded.
hmm I really didn't like Sunrise, at all, if I'm honest.
But I listened to Nightfall again, I actually love it now... apart from that cymbal at the end, that annoys me

Broadsword
11-28-2008, 11:55 AM
So, I had some free time before and after the festivities yesterday, and I don't know if it was some awesome turkey or what, but the end result is another tabbed Agalloch song. :)

In case it doesn't get accepted before the weekend, I present you Pantheist. I skipped out on the timpani (I think that's what it is, anyways...), but I'm pretty sure the rest song is near spot on except for a few notes I was a bit dubious about. And I think I'm starting to get the hang of this whole tabbing thing. :D I may try OFIB pt 1 or This Old Cabin next...

:cheers:

BringMeTheCalm
11-28-2008, 12:36 PM
Sounds pretty good. It's already on the site and I've played through it twice. (Love me some Agalloch tabs).

Do OFIB!

Broadsword
11-28-2008, 12:45 PM
Yeah, I didn't realize how fast they go through with accepting the tabs haha.

I'll try OFIB pt. 1. It doesn't seem *too* complex... although I shouldn't make early judgments.

BringMeTheCalm
11-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Good. Get to work. I expect to see it tomorrow.

:p:

:mad:

dminishedthingy
11-28-2008, 01:00 PM
haha thats what i though about SPFATS 3, but the production makes it really hard to pick out the individual parts...

I'm doing pretty good on Ghost so far though

Broadsword
11-28-2008, 01:08 PM
Sweet, I didn't know you were tabbing Ghost. But don't give up on SPF!

If OFIB doesn't prove to be too difficult, I'll aim for a Sunday finish date - because I'll be honest, Pantheist was really easy. But who knows, I still have some leftover turkey so that will undoubtedly help.

Broadsword
11-29-2008, 06:37 PM
:)

BringMeTheCalm
11-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Sounds pretty good!

Fun to play.

Broadsword
11-29-2008, 07:58 PM
Thankee. I'm contemplating doing Bloodbirds next... just maybe. Or maybe something from The White. If anyone has some suggestions...?

Marskell
11-29-2008, 08:26 PM
please do summerisle reprise....i will seriously send you love if you did that

blood8815
11-29-2008, 08:48 PM
Thankee. I'm contemplating doing Bloodbirds next... just maybe. Or maybe something from The White. If anyone has some suggestions...?
This Old Cabin

dminishedthingy
11-30-2008, 12:02 AM
Well I'm halfway through Ghost, just need the leads up to the "I DAMN THIS OAK!" part pretty much, should be done in a day or two

BringMeTheCalm
11-30-2008, 12:15 AM

Bloodbirds.
Bloodbirds
Bloodbirds.

Etc.

Broadsword
11-30-2008, 12:16 AM
Schweet.

I dunno what I'll do next, I plan to tackle any and every Agalloch song I can since I've suddenly found a nascent ability to tab songs. :haha I may as well attempt Bloodbirds since I'm on a roll... if the layering doesn't whoop me arse.

EDIT: ^Uncanny timing.

BringMeTheCalm
11-30-2008, 02:41 PM
Someone needs to tab In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion. The tab we have on the site is alright, but it's not complete and it's just the acoustic parts.

Man it sounds so fun...

eazy-c
11-30-2008, 03:07 PM
Someone needs to tab In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion. The tab we have on the site is alright, but it's not complete and it's just the acoustic parts.

Man it sounds so fun...

This.

I wish I wasn't **** at tabbing.

Crutchy
11-30-2008, 05:32 PM

Man it sounds so fun...

There's a tab on 911tabs (I think) that's pretty good.

BringMeTheCalm
11-30-2008, 05:34 PM
Sweet, I'll go check it out.

Also we need a Tomorrow Will Never Come PowerTab and/or GuitarPro.

Broadsword
11-30-2008, 08:15 PM
About two minutes into Bloodbirds... I doubt I'll finish it today, and probably not until mid next week due to college and all.

dminishedthingy
12-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Bumped for dt's thoughts

destroy_techno
12-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Pretty damn good.. What album should I.. Aquire.. First? :p:

Slaytanic1993
12-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Pale Folklore

dminishedthingy
12-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Pale Folklore for more folky stuff, Ashes Against the Grain for more post-metally stuff, or The Mantle for the great combination of both.

You can't go wrong haha.

destroy_techno
12-01-2008, 07:01 PM
I think I'll go for Pale Folklore :cheers:

Crutchy
12-01-2008, 07:07 PM
I say you should go for The Mantle. Best album, I think.

BringMeTheCalm
12-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Woo, DT's finally getting into Agalloch.

Also I agree with Crutchy.

\Powerslave/
12-01-2008, 07:13 PM
It's pretty much unanimous that The Mantle > the rest, I agree. Although I personally like Ashes Against the Grain more than Pale Folklore, but they're both great.

dminishedthingy
12-01-2008, 07:14 PM
It's pretty much unanimous that The Mantle > the rest, I agree. Although I personally like Ashes Against the Grain more than Pale Folklore, but they're both great.
Pale Folklore>The Mantle

The Goat has spoken.

korinaflyingv
12-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Ashes > The Mantle and PF

The Faun has spoken.

hippiebass
12-01-2008, 07:21 PM
The Mantle and Pale Folklore>Ashes, but The Mantle=Pale Folklore

Crutchy
12-01-2008, 07:23 PM
Why is it that we go through this everytime someone comes in and asks which album they should listen to? :haha

\Powerslave/
12-01-2008, 07:24 PM
It's turning into the Opeth thread concerting albums isn't it :haha?

The Mantle >/= Ashes >Pale Folklore.

BringMeTheCalm
12-01-2008, 07:26 PM
The Mantle > The White (yeah I went there) > Pale Folklore > Ashes Against the Grain > From Which of this Oak > Of Stone Wind and Pillor > All other things

The Calm hath spoken.

Broadsword
12-01-2008, 08:01 PM
The Mantle>Pale Folklore>Ashes>The White>OSWAP>FWOTO>Everything else.

The Elk hath spoken.

destroy_techno
12-01-2008, 08:04 PM
This is worse than Opeth comparisons :haha

I'll just get some of them and form my own opinion

The Whipper hath spoken

xwearesinking
12-01-2008, 08:06 PM
how abot this:

they are a good band, and you should listen to all their albums before deciding if you like them or not.

dminishedthingy
12-01-2008, 08:35 PM
No, you should love them no matter what you hear

/blatant fanboyism

Crutchy
12-01-2008, 08:39 PM
The Mantle > Ashes > Pale Folklore > The White > FWOTO > OSWAP > Everything, ever.

The Leather-bound book hath spoken.

progbass
12-01-2008, 09:23 PM
1. Pale Folklore
1. The Mantle
1. Ashes Against the Grain
2. The White EP
3. Of Stone, Wind, and Pillor
4. Demonstration Archive
5. Tommorow Will Never Come
6. Grey EP

Hath no fear, Proggy is here.

BringMeTheCalm
12-01-2008, 11:39 PM
I'm starting to think that Tomorrow Will Never Come is Agalloch's best piece...

progbass
12-01-2008, 11:42 PM
but the remix of Celebration brings it down some on a whole...

but I do love playing that song.

BringMeTheCalm
12-01-2008, 11:59 PM
Oh, I just meant the song.

I love Agalloch acoustic pieces.

I've been binging on neofolk lately...

Broadsword
12-02-2008, 12:05 AM
I've been binging on neofolk lately...

Bands. Rec me some, man.

BringMeTheCalm
12-02-2008, 12:11 AM
Bands. Rec me some, man.

I actually got this list from Wikipedia and I intend to download at least one album of those I don't have anything from.

(I have to put it in another post so the internet doesn't freeze.)

Also, Death in June has free downloads on their site so it's legal and that's good.

I got Take Care & Control. It's not actually very folky, but it's ridiculously awesome.

BringMeTheCalm
12-02-2008, 12:15 AM
Agalloch
Argine
Ataraxia
Belborn
Blood Axis
Changes
Current 93
Darkwood
Death in June
Der Blutharsch
Empyrium
Fire + Ice
Forseti
Harvest Rain
H.E.R.R.
In Gowan Ring
Lord Wind
Luftwaffe
Nature And Organisation
Nest
Neun Welten
Neutral
:Of The Wand & The Moon:
Ordo Rosarius Equilibrio
Orplid
Rome
Sol Invictus
Sonne Hagal
Spiritual Front
Sturmpercht
Tenhi
The Moon lay hidden beneath a Cloud
Ulver
Unto Ashes
Waldteufel
Werkraum
The Winding

progbass
12-02-2008, 12:21 AM
so JWW has joined (yet another) side project band called Indelible.

the band just released their Introduction EP from Audio Savant Studios (JWW owns it)

Its free for download, I can provide links

They describe it as a mix of Ulver, Portishead, Zero 7, and Peeping Tom

very electronic, very good.

features guys from Especially Like Sloth as well.

BringMeTheCalm
12-02-2008, 12:23 AM
Yeah! LINK ME!

progbass
12-02-2008, 12:28 AM
inbox sir

you should check it

EDIT: Introduction EP is amazing

Broadsword
12-02-2008, 12:42 AM
Big ass list

Time to don the ole pirate cap, methinks.

Crutchy
12-02-2008, 01:21 AM

Oh, I get it.

Clever.

Marskell
12-02-2008, 01:54 AM
so JWW has joined (yet another) side project band called Indelible.

the band just released their Introduction EP from Audio Savant Studios (JWW owns it)

Its free for download, I can provide links

They describe it as a mix of Ulver, Portishead, Zero 7, and Peeping Tom

very electronic, very good.

features guys from Especially Like Sloth as well.

Linky?

also had my first listen to Drudkh....verrry verry verry agalloch esque

BringMeTheCalm
12-02-2008, 09:28 AM

Yarr

I think I'll start with Current 93. I need the big 3 of Neofolk...

Kepulix
12-02-2008, 11:45 AM
Big ass list
Many of those are martial industrial neo-folk, quite different from the Tenhi/Nest/Agalloch style, but good nonetheless

irnbrurules
12-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Soooo, I haven't looked in this thread for a while so I was just wondering if there was any news about the band? Last I heard there was a live DVD coming out and they were recording the new album, has there been any developments on these? Thanks. :)

BringMeTheCalm
12-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Nope, there's no new Agalloch news... :(

Also, guys looking for neofolk, check out this band Kiss the Anus of a Black Cat (that is really their name). They seem to folk pretty hard.

dminishedthingy
12-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Good job BMTC, that ridiculous band name killed the Agalloch thread :haha

edit: the big three of neofolk being Sol Invictus, Death in June, and Current 93?
Death in June is probably my favorite of the three, Sol Invictus close behind. I just can't get in to Current 93.

Broadsword
12-05-2008, 10:14 PM
You got that Ghost tab done yet? :p:

progbass
12-05-2008, 10:15 PM
You got that Ghost tab done yet? :p:

yeah thats like my 3rd favorite song from Mantle! :mad:

dminishedthingy
12-05-2008, 10:15 PM
I'm quite the procrastinator you know...
I've been busy on GP with my own stuff lately, so I haven't gotten too much more done. But never fear! I'll have it eventually haha. We can't all tab the simple songs B...

progbass
12-05-2008, 10:17 PM
okay......

so how about Agalloch. Word on the street is they are my favorite metal band.

GBcommander
12-05-2008, 10:17 PM
This isnt really Agalloch related but since I know most of you guys use Guitar Pro alot I thought Id ask it here. This is probably really noobish but I was looking at a Tab of a song and I noticed that it had 8 Eighth Notes and then 2 Sixteenth notes. Now the question is how come when I do something like that it says bar exceeded or something like that, but yet that tab(the one I was looking at) is fine? Because I only can have 8 Eighth Notes per bar. So thats why I dont understand.

progbass
12-05-2008, 10:18 PM
it was in 9/8 instead of 4/4?

Broadsword
12-05-2008, 10:19 PM
I'm quite the procrastinator you know...
I've been busy on GP with my own stuff lately, so I haven't gotten too much more done. But never fear! I'll have it eventually haha. We can't all tab the simple songs B...

Quiet you! Your giving my secrets away!

@GB: Change the time sig?

dminishedthingy
12-05-2008, 10:20 PM
okay......

so how about Agalloch. Word on the street is they are my favorite metal band.

Aside from Grim Bizkit of course. Which reminds me, you need to check out my profile song, its fukking nu-cro.

Agalloch are definitely the best band in the world though. I secretly got my friend into them a while ago. He knows I'm into a lot of shoegaze, so he asked me to give him some stuff to chill to. He laughs at my constant Agalloch fellation, but I got the last laugh when he told me how awesome "Odal" and "Limbs" (which I didn't label on the cd) were. :dance:

GBcommander
12-05-2008, 10:20 PM
Quiet you! Your giving my secrets away!

@GB: Change the time sig?

It was all in 4/4 I believe.. let me check.

Ok, wow Im dumb nevermind lol.

Umm, Broadsword do you think I could PM you asking you about GP? I have a few questions.

blood8815
12-07-2008, 04:07 PM
someone needs to tab all of This Old Cabin, i only have the beginning leading up to the long instrumental part

I_hate_kyle
12-07-2008, 04:32 PM
So I just recently got into Agalloch and I gotta tell ya... it's some of the best music I've ever heard. I wish I'd gotten into them sooner. I'm obsessed with Not Unlike The Waves at the moment.

Broadsword
12-07-2008, 06:10 PM
^ We all have that same regret.

Umm, Broadsword do you think I could PM you asking you about GP? I have a few questions.

Yeah, sure. I'll answer 'em as best I can. :)

GBcommander
12-07-2008, 10:09 PM
^ We all have that same regret.

Yeah, sure. I'll answer 'em as best I can. :)

Sent. :)

Agalloch needs to release new material NOW!

BringMeTheCalm
12-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Man, so I'm listening to Bloodbirds, and ya know what I'm thinkin'? I'm thinkin' "Man I wish I could play this along as it's so sexy and it should be tabbed by someone, Broadsword, for example." if only, huh?

progbass
12-07-2008, 10:24 PM
yeah if only

speaking of tabbing, i started (and almost finished) a new song today

Broadsword
12-07-2008, 10:38 PM
@GB: Answered.

Man, so I'm listening to Bloodbirds, and ya know what I'm thinkin'? I'm thinkin' "Man I wish I could play this along as it's so sexy and it should be tabbed by someone, Broadsword, for example." if only, huh?

I hate you.

Yet I can't help this warm fuzzy feeling inside me. This is truly a warped state of existence I live.

I might have more incentive if someone rated my part I tab

BringMeTheCalm
12-07-2008, 10:48 PM
I hate you.

Yet I can't help this warm fuzzy feeling inside me. This is truly a warped state of existence I live.

I might have more incentive if someone rated my part I tab

That's love, man... That's love.

And it appears that some unknown person has rated it.

MetalMessiah665
12-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Who could it be? Well, the hunt is on, gentlemen.

dminishedthingy
12-07-2008, 10:54 PM
I'll rate yours if you rate mine. :p:

MetalMessiah665
12-07-2008, 10:55 PM
I'll rate yours if you rate mine. :p:
THAT's WHAT SHE SAIDDD!!!!!1!!!!!!1!!! zomgz olololololololol

EDIT: I got a one :sad:.

dminishedthingy
12-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Not in the Agalloch thread man, we've managed to keep it pure. It's our haven from the rest of the metal forum. :haha

Broadsword
12-07-2008, 10:57 PM
Dude, Calm, you have a new profile pic... When did you change it? That pic just screams "well-educated connoisseur of neo-folk". Seriously, you look like the missing member of Agalloch.

I'll try and get a Bloodbirds tab up by midweek, I've got some exams and finals threatening to whoop my ass.

MetalMessiah665
12-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Not in the Agalloch thread man, we've managed to keep it pure. It's our haven from the rest of the metal forum. :haha
Fine. Sowwy :sad:. I'll be in the Opeth thread.

EDIT: Yeah, that's a pretty awesome profile pic.

BringMeTheCalm
12-07-2008, 10:59 PM
Dude, Calm, you have a new profile pic... When did you change it? That pic just screams "well-educated connoisseur of neo-folk". Seriously, you look like the missing member of Agalloch.

:haha Thanks man! That's wicked good. I put it up yesterday.

dminishedthingy
12-07-2008, 11:00 PM

I'll try and get a Bloodbirds tab up by midweek, I've got some exams and finals threatening to whoop my ass.
:haha That's exactly what I said.
*Feels proud for convincing Calm to put up a beard pic*

I've also been working on an Agallochy song of my own recently (and another epic folk song, don't worry :p: )

progbass
12-07-2008, 11:11 PM
<.<

>.>

C4C?

EDIT: Holy balls, nice beard Drew

korinaflyingv
12-08-2008, 07:24 AM
tru dat. nice beard.

EDIT: does anyone else get a fox offering them cafe au lait at the end of poem by yeats? :confused::confused::confused:

hippiebass
12-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I never noticed that before. I just gave FWOTO a listen and I have to say, those are some of the best vocals Haugm does. Especially in The Wilderness.

Firenze
12-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Holy fucking shit. I just listened to these guys for the first time today...

This is incredible.

GBcommander
12-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Holy fucking shit. I just listened to these guys for the first time today...

This is incredible.

Welcome to the greatness that is Agalloch :)

What song or album did you listen too?

Firenze
12-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Well, I clicked a link for Limbs.

Now I'm just listening to everything they have on YouTube.

edit: Gimme some song recs. :)

GBcommander
12-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Well, I clicked a link for Limbs.

Now I'm just listening to everything they have on YouTube.

Listen to Falling Snow. Its the greatest Agalloch song ever.

Firenze
12-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Loading it now, cheers :cheers:

Broadsword
12-10-2008, 12:16 PM
Hallways of Enchanted Ebony. Definitely listen to that one.

Marskell
12-10-2008, 03:46 PM
the melancholy spirit is pretty amazing as is summerisle reprise

Firenze
12-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Cheers guys :cheers: I'm downloading their discography as we speak.

GBcommander
12-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Hallways of Enchanted Ebony. Definitely listen to that one.

Either that or Falling Snow are my favorite Agalloch songs at the moment. I just love the twangy acoustic guitar sound of Hallways.

dminishedthingy
12-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Odal is one of my all-time favorites, and according to itunes its my #1 most listened to song.

GBcommander
12-10-2008, 05:30 PM
Odal is one of my all-time favorites, and according to itunes its my #1 most listened to song.

Not a big fan of Odal. Dont really know why either. Thats like the only song I dont listen to when I play The Mantle. :p:

Broadsword
12-10-2008, 05:38 PM
Either that or Falling Snow are my favorite Agalloch songs at the moment. I just love the twangy acoustic guitar sound of Hallways.

That's a clean guitar playing. :p:

dminishedthingy
12-10-2008, 05:45 PM
Not a big fan of Odal. Dont really know why either. Thats like the only song I dont listen to when I play The Mantle. :p:
:mad:
That's gotta be their most atmospheric song, and it's definitely the best instrumental.
(Yes, my favorite song isn't on PF :p: )

BringMeTheCalm
12-10-2008, 05:48 PM
How does one get the sheer majesty of Agalloch's clean tone with their amp?

I...need this power.

Broadsword
12-10-2008, 05:49 PM
Odal isn't my favorite song by them but I agree on both points.

Not to mention it's depressing as hell.

EDIT: ^ Same, man. :( Pale Foklore has pretty much the best clean tone ever.

korinaflyingv
12-10-2008, 06:04 PM
How does one get the sheer majesty of Agalloch's clean tone with their amp?

I...need this power.
really bright single coils, chorus pedal gets you fairly close. but i've never managed to quite nail it.

GBcommander
12-10-2008, 10:31 PM
That's a clean guitar playing. :p:

Are you serious? Thats like.... the sexiest clean tone to ever exist.

Broadsword
12-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Yeah, I thought it was pretty easy to tell. :haha

I need to fix my first guitar... it may have been just a Yamaha Pacifica but I'll be damned if the bridge single coil didn't have a sexy tone. My current guitar has two Humbuckers... for the lose.

dminishedthingy
12-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Mine too.
My single coil guitar is a "Fender Starcaster" though, so I doubt it'll do much more good :haha

GBcommander
12-10-2008, 10:59 PM

I need to fix my first guitar... it may have been just a Yamaha Pacifica but I'll be damned if the bridge single coil didn't have a sexy tone. My current guitar has two Humbuckers... for the lose.

I thought it was like some classical or acoustic guitar. :haha

I wonder if my guitar has a sweet tone like that...

Time to try it out.

Edit: Sweet... it does.

Firenze
12-11-2008, 05:51 AM
Got the discography, so far I haven't heard a single song that I didn't love.

korinaflyingv
12-11-2008, 07:43 AM

Yamaha pacificas arent bad at all actually. Thing is, even with a single coil in my guitar, and a nice clean amp, I still can't quite get that lovely tone than only Agalloch seem to be able to master... oh well, at least I've got their distorted tone pretty much nailed.

Broadsword
12-11-2008, 09:20 AM
For which albums? The only distortion tone I can get reasonably close to is Pale Folklore's. Then again it's the only one of theirs where I've took the time (along with Slay's help) to figure out. All I know is they use lots of mids.

@ Firenze: :cheers:

korinaflyingv
12-11-2008, 09:23 AM
Ashes tone is pretty easy to achieve with my amp on normal settings. Then you boost the **** out of the mids for instant PF. although I've never actually played anything off PF so I don't use that tone much (my normal tone is much nicer)

Broadsword
12-11-2008, 09:23 AM
What amp do you use?

korinaflyingv
12-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Laney AOR combo. Basically a Marshall clone, but MUCH more gain, and kinda fuzzier aswell. Perfect amp for black metal.

Broadsword
12-11-2008, 09:33 AM
Nice. I use an Ashdown Fallen Angel, I got damn lucky with it. They were being discontinued last year + Xmas discount so I got it for $380 new as opposed to the original $700. Not bad at all for a tube amp. It's a bit lacking on the gain side, though, my old solid state Marshall AVT had loads more gain. But what it lacks in gain in makes up for in bass, that thing has fucking presence. Even with the bass on 0 it still sounds like it would be on halfway with the Marshall. :haha It does give a great Pale Folklore tone-esque tone though, so that's all I particularly care for.

Firenze
12-11-2008, 10:07 AM
Hah, sounds like me with my Crate. I got it discount for 420 bucks when it was worth 880 before that. :headbang:

korinaflyingv
12-11-2008, 11:36 AM
I beat both of you, my amp was free :p:

Broadsword
12-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Ghey. :(

I wish I had a better comeback...

Regardless: anyone know off of the top of their head what brands/models of acoustic guitars they use?

korinaflyingv
12-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Have no idea, but I wish my acoustic sounded as shimmery as on Birch White :liplick:

Also, my Agalloch long sleeve tshirt just arrived! :D Technically I'm not supposed to know this, it being a christmas present and all, but whatever... it certainly feels odd having to sign for your own presents.

Broadsword
12-11-2008, 01:05 PM
I'm gonna (finally) place an order for the plain logo Agalloch tee this Christmas. I've put it off for far too long, I just hope they don't sell out or already are, etc.

I'm also going to be buying a basic recording setup, an interface + mic, and once I get the hang of recording down I'm gonna cover a song... probably Agalloch's version of Kneel to the Cross like I stating lol. Thing is, I'm gonna be a buying a dynamic mic. Anyone know how much a dynamic mic will reduce the quality/acousticy-ness of an acoustic?

korinaflyingv
12-11-2008, 01:18 PM
I'm gonna (finally) place an order for the plain logo Agalloch tee this Christmas. I've put it off for far too long, I just hope they don't sell out or already are, etc.

I'm also going to be buying a basic recording setup, an interface + mic, and once I get the hang of recording down I'm gonna cover a song... probably Agalloch's version of Kneel to the Cross like I stating lol. Thing is, I'm gonna be a buying a dynamic mic. Anyone know how much a dynamic mic will reduce the quality/acousticy-ness of an acoustic?
You really should, they aren't sold out I don't think, and they (assuming you mean from omega order?) are pretty efficient at delivering, I mean mine got here in under 2 weeks, and that's to the UK.

And good luck with recording, acoustic guitars are probably the most fun thing to record, as there's so much you can do with them. In my experience, dynamic mics sound great if you double track with a condenser, but on their own, pretty meh for acoustics. Just quite dull sounding, kind of ironic them being called "dynamic" mics. But then again I've only used relatively expensive condensers and relatively cheap dynamics, so I dunno how a pro quality one would match up.

eazy-c
12-11-2008, 01:36 PM
I always use condensers for guitars. In fasct, I use them for pretty much everything.

AKG C1000 FTW.

korinaflyingv
12-11-2008, 01:40 PM
condensers ARE win
but placing a dynamic at one end of the guitar and a condenser at the other can yield some pretty interesting results.

Marskell
12-11-2008, 03:29 PM
I always use condensers for guitars. In fasct, I use them for pretty much everything.

AKG C1000 FTW.

condensers are amazing for acoustic guitar and vocals but other than that i use a DI straight into a mixer

eazy-c
12-11-2008, 03:43 PM
You totally lose the room with DI though.

Marskell
12-11-2008, 03:45 PM
You totally lose the room with DI though.

if i want to create an atmosphere, i multi track like Devin. i just dont like getting all that dodgey backround noise when using a condenser

eazy-c
12-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Acoustic screen?

Marskell
12-11-2008, 03:54 PM
plausable but i dont have one myself. also i love the detail you get from running direct into the mixer

eazy-c
12-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Meh, I'm just like doing it the old fashioned way.

Feels more natural.

EDIT: Like Agalloch.

dminishedthingy
12-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Not as natural as Immortal though :haha

eazy-c
12-11-2008, 04:01 PM
Recording in a forest FTW

korinaflyingv
12-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Meh, I'm just like doing it the old fashioned way.

Feels more natural.

EDIT: Like Agalloch.
precisely
DI works for some things (especially bass)
I quite like clean electric guitars DI
but distortion + DI, most of the time = utter fail. it's like it's too present in the mix, but when you try and make it stand out less, you just make it inaudible

eazy-c
12-11-2008, 04:12 PM
precisely
DI works for some things (especially bass)
I quite like clean electric guitars DI
but distortion + DI, most of the time = utter fail. it's like it's too present in the mix, but when you try and make it stand out less, you just make it inaudible

I hate DI bass.

I just hate DI in general.

I once had to play a gig DI'd straight to the PA with no amp, it was the most awful gigging experience ever.

korinaflyingv
12-11-2008, 04:15 PM
I hate DI bass.

I just hate DI in general.

I once had to play a gig DI'd straight to the PA with no amp, it was the most awful gigging experience ever.
heh, maybe i like it cos i dont have a bass amp to compare it to :p:

and yeah, that sounds like a terrible gig. do the soundmen not actually care what the bands sound like?

eazy-c
12-11-2008, 04:17 PM
I'm a bassist, my band didn't even care what I sounded like.

The soundman was a dick anyway, didn't have a clue what he was doing.

korinaflyingv
12-11-2008, 04:18 PM
ah
well DI is quite a common thing for bassists around these parts, it's just something you have to accept.

Broadsword
12-11-2008, 04:20 PM
You really should, they aren't sold out I don't think, and they (assuming you mean from omega order?) are pretty efficient at delivering, I mean mine got here in under 2 weeks, and that's to the UK.

And good luck with recording, acoustic guitars are probably the most fun thing to record, as there's so much you can do with them. In my experience, dynamic mics sound great if you double track with a condenser, but on their own, pretty meh for acoustics. Just quite dull sounding, kind of ironic them being called "dynamic" mics. But then again I've only used relatively expensive condensers and relatively cheap dynamics, so I dunno how a pro quality one would match up.

Right now I'm primarily concerned with distortion - well, actually, recording in general. :p: I'm ready to manifest my guitar pro creations into real songs. Actually, now that I think about it, I'll have some scholarship money leftover next semester so I may buy a brace of condensers as well.

Any of you guys familiar with drum programs? Any advice on them, what sounds good, user friendly, etc.?

eazy-c
12-11-2008, 04:20 PM
I s'ppose.

Anyway, Agalloch, pretty good band.

I've been digging the White lots recently.

EDIT: For drums I usually write them in GP then export the MIDI and just use that. I'm thinking or acquiring Drumkit from Hell though

dminishedthingy
12-11-2008, 04:22 PM
Right now I'm primarily concerned with distortion - well, actually, recording in general. :p: I'm ready to manifest my guitar pro creations into real songs. Actually, now that I think about it, I'll have some scholarship money leftover next semester so I may buy a brace of condensers as well.

Any of you guys familiar with drum programs? Any advice on them, what sounds good, user friendly, etc.?
I've heard good things about drum kit from hell.
Now I just need to find a flute/sitar/brass/contrabass program... :p:

The White is win, that and Nest's Woodsmoke are some of my favorite neofolk albums.

korinaflyingv
12-11-2008, 04:22 PM
EZDRUMMER
seriously, that thing pwns, especially when you add drumkit from hell to that.
but if you don't have cubase or similar software with VST instrument capability, Acoustica Beatcraft is the next best thing.

I've heard good things about drum kit from hell.
Now I just need to find a flute/sitar/brass/contrabass program... :p:
Logic Pro has all of those....
but it'll cost you a Mac + 400

dminishedthingy
12-11-2008, 04:26 PM
I don't have either of those :(
I probably won't start recording for a while, but when I do I just want something better than the cheesy MIDI tones on my keyboards haha.

korinaflyingv
12-11-2008, 04:28 PM
I don't have either of those :(
I probably won't start recording for a while, but when I do I just want something better than the cheesy MIDI tones on my keyboards haha.
well cubase is free (sort of :p: ) then you can download lots of vst instruments, I downloaded an asian instruments one, so I'd imagine you can get sitar type stuff aswell

Broadsword
12-11-2008, 04:30 PM
EZDRUMMER
seriously, that thing pwns, especially when you add drumkit from hell to that.
but if you don't have cubase or similar software with VST instrument capability, Acoustica Beatcraft is the next best thing.

Explicate, please. :(

I believe my dad has a copy of Cubase something-or-another, and the interface I plan on getting comes with the LE versions of a sleuth of recording software, so I think I'm covered there.

eazy-c
12-11-2008, 04:31 PM
The problem I get is that the good VSTs are bloody massive.

korinaflyingv
12-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Explicate, please. :(

I believe my dad has a copy of Cubase something-or-another, and the interface I plan on getting comes with the LE versions of a sleuth of recording software, so I think I'm covered there.
VST is basically when you replace a MIDI instrument with your own samples. So instead of crappy MIDI sounds, you get more realistic sounds.

And if your dad has cubase, you're pretty much good to go. I actually hate cubase, but it's the best program you can get for free (Logic is the best I've used, but it's only for Mac, and if you want it for free, it takes months to download)

progbass
12-11-2008, 04:44 PM
so if i get Cubase, I can import my midis into actual instrument sounds?

Also, Goat, where is a good place to start with Nest?

korinaflyingv
12-11-2008, 04:47 PM
so if i get Cubase, I can import my midis into actual instrument sounds?
yep.
but the VSTs cubase comes with are ****, mostly, so you have to download your own

Broadsword
12-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Ah, I see.

While we're still on the subject of recording, I'd like to release a set of three (rough?) songs by, optimistically, early February. I'd like to pursue the experimental songs I've been writing lately, but I don't think a basic home setup in the hands of an unexperienced lad would produce good results. So I'd like to do what I do best, my progressive, melodic, Agalloch influenced metal.

If I were to upload a zip file with all the songs I've written of that style, would anyone be so kind as to give suggestions as to which ones to record? I know I ask this way too much in this thread, but I'd really appreciate the input. :D

progbass
12-11-2008, 04:50 PM
I would, I would like a crit on a song I posted a couple days ago too....

Broadsword
12-11-2008, 04:51 PM
I would, I would like a crit on a song I posted a couple days ago too....

How'd I miss that one?

I'll get you crit when I'm back home of college.

dminishedthingy
12-11-2008, 04:52 PM
I thought it was good, the drumming was probably my favorite part. The rest was good, but some of the riffs just seemed... iffy to me I guess.

progbass
12-11-2008, 04:53 PM
I thought it was good, the drumming was probably my favorite part. The rest was good, but some of the riffs just seemed... iffy to me I guess.

wrote it a couple years back, well the main riff

anyways, Nest....where to start?

dminishedthingy
12-11-2008, 04:55 PM
I believe they only have two, Woodsmoke's the only one I have, but it's great.

korinaflyingv
12-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Ah, I see.

While we're still on the subject of recording, I'd like to release a set of three (rough?) songs by, optimistically, early February. I'd like to pursue the experimental songs I've been writing lately, but I don't think a basic home setup in the hands of an unexperienced lad would produce good results. So I'd like to do what I do best, my progressive, melodic, Agalloch influenced metal.

If I were to upload a zip file with all the songs I've written of that style, would anyone be so kind as to give suggestions as to which ones to record? I know I ask this way too much in this thread, but I'd really appreciate the input. :D
that's the key word of this paragraph. honestly, you will not get it done by february. i planned to have an EP out last winter, then postponed it to summer... you can probably guess by the lack of shameless plugging how that turned out...

but yeah, upload the zip and i'll crit away

progbass
12-11-2008, 04:57 PM
great I'll look for it later....

and I stole owe you an awesome album....

dminishedthingy
12-11-2008, 05:04 PM
If you can find me one of 666's live albums, we're even :haha

Broadsword
12-11-2008, 05:13 PM
that's the key word of this paragraph. honestly, you will not get it done by february. i planned to have an EP out last winter, then postponed it to summer... you can probably guess by the lack of shameless plugging how that turned out...

but yeah, upload the zip and i'll crit away

That's what I'm afraid of. :( I have a minimal amount of recording experience, but I really don't know what I'm doing. But I do have one thing on my side: a burning passion. This has been a long time in coming, and once I start I'm not stopping. I just hope a month from now I'll remember this post. :p:

ZIP coming up soon.

korinaflyingv
12-11-2008, 05:20 PM
That's what I'm afraid of. :( I have a minimal amount of recording experience, but I really don't know what I'm doing. But I do have one thing on my side: a burning passion. This has been a long time in coming, and once I start I'm not stopping. I just hope a month from now I'll remember this post. :p:

ZIP coming up soon.
I have a burning passion too man, but trust me it starts to die down once you realise how **** your recordings are (although they will start to get better). Just don't set yourself a deadline for finishing, and don't be afraid to re-record loads of things if you're not satisfied (and if you're as much of a perfectionist as I am, believe me - you will NOT be satisfied with the first few takes of anything). Sorry to burst whatever bubble you may have had, but February is just not a realistic deadline, especially if you don't know what you're doing. I often sit down to record and end up just learning more about micing techniques, etc instead. Which is frustrating when you look back at your week and have nothing to show for it... but it is invaluabe experience. You probably ought to take at least a month to learn HOW to record before properly attempting songs.