[Powertab] Right now I'm bored...

PDA

View Full Version : [Powertab] Right now I'm bored...

Andrewbiles
01-19-2006, 05:12 PM
Yeah, that's right, so I thought I'd come here and submit this track. It currently has the title '16-01-06' as that's when I wrote it (what I have so far), but it's still in progress. I was just hoping for a little bit of crit on what I have on the current status of it and possibly an idea of where someone else pictures it would lead?
You may want to take out (or decrease) the number of repeats for some parts as the tempo's not the fastest and most of the parts take a while.

As always, comment on mine and I'll do the same in return (if you could leave a link though that'd be great).
:cheers:
Andrew

Night_Lights
01-19-2006, 06:56 PM
hmm it is kinda boring. might want to get rid of the staccato in the begining.

also change your key on the powertab to F# major (like, youve written something in F# major, but the powertabs showing C major)

and i say this a lot, but please use measures :p:

Andrewbiles
01-20-2006, 06:28 AM
Don't know how to change the key on powertabs, and I'm not bothered by it so.... no :p:
As for measures, they just take up unnecessary space (in my opinion), and I would add them in, but they annoy me when I'm following the tab. I'm not trying to write a professional piece of sheet music so I don't see the need for all this stuff, I'm more of a standard tab man, but just use powertabs to allow other people to hear the tracks with the timing (and for me to remember it).
Thanks for taking a listen though and commenting back, it is appreciated :cheers:

Horvat
01-20-2006, 06:56 AM
Kinda cool. Has a weird mood to it. Reminds me a bit of that song Mad World.

Horvat
01-20-2006, 07:05 AM
Oh and right at the very end, in section 17, the very last one, instead of doing:

0 x 0 twice,

you should do

3 x 3 and then maybe

5 x 5

If that makes sense.... Sorry, I couldn't be stuffed coding it.
Anyway, it's up to you, just my suggestion.
Oh, and maybe some piano/bass/choir in the background would really give a lot more feeling to this song. You should add some.

Andrewbiles
01-20-2006, 09:51 AM
Might just try that, cheers, I'll see how it sounds and if it's easy enough to play (can't see that it'd be much of a problem). :cheers:
I will add some more stuff in as it gets more complete, just want to get the basics of it done before adding a ton of new instruments and it's only about 1/2 way through at the moment I'd say.
Thanks again, anything you've got you want comments on?

Pure_Morning
01-20-2006, 12:03 PM
Wow I like this. At the end of bar 5, you should end with a Bb (A string, 2 fret) then go into the riff. Apart from that, its good.

Andrewbiles
01-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Yeah, I think you're probably right about that ending note, although I do kind of like the idea of the progression (on the A string) going 2, 1, and then an implied 2 with the Em harmonics. I'll give a few plays this weekend and try and decide between the two and try and get a bit further on with the song.

(anything you want me to check out?)

slash_620
01-20-2006, 04:49 PM
I never knew you wrote powertabs,when did you start?i've been away for a long time.

Anywhoo,sounds pretty cool,i would tell you to use bar lines and key signatures but i don't think your going to lol.I love the way the two guitars go together,sounds really great in places,though a bit of is a bit 'over-my-head' if you can understand what i mean by that.

Check out my knew song if you can.

Andrewbiles
01-20-2006, 05:51 PM
Only recently, just got fed up forgetting all these riffs/chord progressions/rhythms I made up and thought it'd be sensible to use it, don't use it for actual tabbing, it drives me mad.

Glad you liked the part with the second guitar, I kind of understand what you mean by the "over-my-head" remark, sometimes when I listen back to it I'm not too sure about keeping it but other times I love it.

Of course I'll check out your track :cheers:

slash_620
01-21-2006, 10:07 AM
Lol,i thought you wouldn;t understand what i meant by that,it's hard to explain,in more simple terms-part of the music isn't 'involving' enough(dam,even i'm confusing myself here)like i'm listening to it but i'm not really listening to it,you know like when your in a lesson and the teacher suddenly asks you what she just said and you have no idea even though you were listening?

Andrewbiles
01-21-2006, 12:15 PM
Oh, I like that kind of thing so that's alright by me. Catchy songs aren't really what I try to write but rather something to fill a void, so I guess... thank you :D
It's slowly building at the moment though, I've got a few slightly different riffs that I'm planning to include somewhere along the line and then it'll probably slow down a bit and have a solo in there towards the end.

guywithguitar
01-23-2006, 11:43 AM
I liked it... I can see how it "fills a void" like you said. The only thing that I would change is the intro. I like the actual notes and such, but I dont like the actual rhythm they are played in, which sounds a bit random to me. It could be that it has only three measures (which it does, even though there are no bars), so maybe you can try it with four. Anyway, to end on a positive note, I think the whole song in general is preety good, nice job :)

zephyrclaw
01-27-2006, 07:01 AM
I enjoyed it, andrewbiles. It reminds me a little of my own style, I suppose, so I understand what you mean about "filling a void". With a little instrument tweaking and addition, it could end up sounding like a slow, mysterious film score-style piece. Some strings would do just the trick. I like how you have a recurring theme; even though it's repetitive, it makes good background music, as you've mentioned. I'll be interested to see how it all turns out.

Andrewbiles
01-27-2006, 10:16 AM
Well if I add more instruments to it I'll make them so it's not so repetitive, I know it is at the moment and I get bored listening to the parts repeating so I understand something needs to be done. I'll definately consider strings, and probably a piano but it's just finding the time to add to it at the moment. I want to fit a riff that goes something like this.....

|-------------------------------
|---------------8p7-------------
|-------------------x-x-7p0-----
|-2-----9p7-----------------4p0-
|-2-x---------------------------
|-0---0-----0-0-----------------

... later on in the track and I'm slowly trying to build the speed in the track rather than leaving it at 75bpm or whatever it is.
Thanks for the comments

dream{M}theater
01-29-2006, 11:49 PM
raise the tempo a bit?