For experienced band players...

PDA

View Full Version : For experienced band players...

bouncingbassist
01-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Heya. My band has a gig tomorrow night, and I was wondering if anybody could give us any ideas for getting the audience going / involving them? Original ideas would be better, but anything that'll get them on our side would be great! Thanks.

gpb0216
01-20-2006, 11:31 AM
John Lennon once wore a toilet seat around his neck and the Beatles did OK. You might give it a try.

But if that doesn't appeal to you, and I must confess I've never tried it, just go out there and really enjoy yourselves. I've played hundreds and hundreds of gigs and have tried all kinds of things to get people involved. What has always worked best, and what my bands have always come back to, is a tight band truly having a good time. You can't fake it, but when you're on, the crowd naturally gets into what you're doing and you can take them wherever you want to go.

Good luck, and please let us know what you did and how it worked.

fallinsuburbia
01-20-2006, 11:36 AM
toilet seat...

SlashHammett
01-20-2006, 11:37 AM
get ur singer to get the crowd to do things like , if theres some repeated lyrics , get them to sing along , or maybe just wave there hands in the air or clap... the main thing is just to play good music

MidnightHours
01-20-2006, 11:38 AM
dont play ****ty music...

lykeorbzorkor
01-20-2006, 11:51 AM
DANCE. enjoy yourselves, **** the audience.

semus
01-20-2006, 11:58 AM
well, i have the same situation this thursday.
first gig, and we're afraid of a cold crowd..

i think the best thing to do (there isnt much you can do), is to have an instrumental
intro to the show, a 1-1.5 min of energy and power instrumental bit to fit your music' style.
the band im in plays some kind of rock, so we just had the guitar and bass
do a chord every 4 beats, and the drummer builds up tension with each, say 16 beats.
after 4 times we do that, the drummer plays somethin really rythmic, the bass plays the
same chord progression as before, and the guitarist has a little time to solo something cool.
the whole thing is 1.5mins, and exactly after it, we just go off the first song,
hopefully the crowd will be warmer.

\m/CoBhC\m/
01-20-2006, 12:21 PM
im not in a band but i have been to some ****ty shows before. the best thing NOT to do is stand in one spot or do the same little trick thing over and over again (for example, dont swing ur guitar behind u every five minutes) because then whta would happen is that the crowd would get disinterested and disconnect from the music. what really gets me going is when they talk between songs. as well when even if its not in the song write a breakdown in there and get the audience to chant things (like in trivium's "gunshot to the head of trepidation") same sort of idea. get ur bandmates to switch sides because nobody likes seeing the same person dance around for two hours even if they are pretty sweet players. but, most importantly, HAVE FUN!!!! if the audience see you having fun they will enjoy themselves as well. i hope i was useful even if i'm not in a band or ever played a gig.

and to the person who has the bunny, i will assist in his global domination scheme.

\m/CoBhC\m/
01-20-2006, 12:47 PM
see!!!! ^

\m/CoBhC\m/
01-20-2006, 12:47 PM
with a few mods of course mwahahahaha

bouncingbassist
01-20-2006, 12:55 PM
ha ha ha I like it!!

`NeXxuS`
01-20-2006, 02:52 PM
with a few mods of course mwahahahaha

Use the EDIT button....

the only thing you can do is enjoy yourself... if your trying to hard the crowd will know...

generally when a lead singer starts talking to the crowd is when I stop listening... my advice is not to say a single word, just play your set with some energy and then leave...

PICKS r4 DICKS
01-20-2006, 05:31 PM
go out there naked with socks on your dicks like rhcp

Hardin
01-21-2006, 02:24 PM
Moon the Audience

Light your guitar on fire

Jump into the audience

Invite peeps from the audience to sing and laugh at them when they suck

fallinsuburbia
01-21-2006, 03:49 PM
light some part of your clothing on fire. that may get their attention. i would pay good money to see someone set themselves on fire.

california girl
01-21-2006, 05:04 PM
a)during a solo get your singer to throw candy into the crowd.
b)hand out balloons
c)plot your guitarist(or any member) in the corwd, and play one song with a mate who isint in the band, then kick them off after one song and shout abuse at them, then, pick out the real member of your band from the crowd and play the rest of the set. classic stuff :D
d)if all else fails, spit at the crowd and run away... (that should get them moving!)
:D

Rocker4500
01-22-2006, 06:39 AM
b)hand out balloons
c)plot your guitarist(or any member) in the corwd, and play one song with a mate who isint in the band, then kick them off after one song and shout abuse at them, then, pick out the real member of your band from the crowd and play the rest of the set. classic stuff :D
d)if all else fails, spit at the crowd and run away... (that should get them moving!)

the candy thing is genius!~!~!

psychodelia
01-22-2006, 12:31 PM
b)hand out balloons

Letter C is actually a pretty funny idea.

Somebody above said the best thing is to be a tight band that enjoys what it's doing, and thats the best thing. It'd help if you didn't look like zombies, but dancing isn't going to make up for crappy music. Little tricks like putting the guitar behind your head do work, but they will not make up for a great solo (or lack thereof). If you do want to do a trick like that, do it ONCE, or it will get old. As long as you look like you're actually having fun it will probably go well.

fallinsuburbia
01-22-2006, 01:19 PM
never repeat anything. lots of things get old fast. the only thing i could watch again and again and never tire of is someone getting hit anywhere on their body with an instrument.

SG_MANIAC
01-26-2006, 04:57 AM

I was gunna say that :p:

what you could do is buy a shitty SHITTY little guitar for a few bucks second hand and at the end smash the shit outta it :D

Rocker4500
01-26-2006, 02:27 PM
Why smash ANY guitar?
Someone has worked long and hard to make that instrument no matter how ****ty. Just give it to the youngest kid in the front row. He could go on and do great things with that guitar.

Smashing guitars is just disrespectful.

Syn Harvest
01-28-2006, 08:50 AM
ok heres an idea i came up with at the end of the set we finish with a good fast song and have a cool little improv solo at the end we set our lead guitarits hands on fire and it burns blue. looks awesome. also we have set our mic stands on fire toobut we are scared of it spreading get clearance from the venue before u set **** on fire though.

also move around

and dont sound like ****

CheckOutSerafin
01-28-2006, 04:23 PM
during a solo get your singer to throw candy into the crowd.

:cheers:
Nice one, I think I'll try that.

kirbyrocknroll
01-28-2006, 06:02 PM
Have fun, basically. The crowd will feel if you're having fun.

matthew123
02-26-2006, 07:43 PM
take a **** then eat it and rub it all over ur body
R.I.P GG Allin

Desperadoy
05-27-2011, 05:58 AM
I enjoy Green Day, but don't do that shout-the-name-of-the-venue crap Billie Joe Armstrong does more than once. It gets old, and then it gets annoying.

holycow
05-27-2011, 06:02 AM
I enjoy Green Day, but don't do that shout-the-name-of-the-venue crap Billie Joe Armstrong does more than once. It gets old, and then it gets annoying.

why did u bump this 5 YEAR OLD THREAD!!!???

'93
05-27-2011, 12:55 PM

or take that to the next level and do a flea version of woodstock

JasperPryce
06-09-2011, 01:42 PM
I know it's out there, but we did a show a while back and one of our friends asked if he should come in dressed as a green man and dance around the bar. We loved the idea and the show went really well, so we're trying to incorporate that idea again. It definitely got the audience involved.