staying focused...

PDA

View Full Version : staying focused...

TimePheonix
01-20-2006, 09:42 PM
when my band meets we try to get stuff done, but we can never stay focused long enough to write something. any ideas on how to stay focused?

~timepheonix

WlCmToTheJungle
01-20-2006, 09:45 PM
i have the same problem

xmrchainsawx
01-20-2006, 09:51 PM
take out all the distractions.

I used to lock me and my band in my garage until we came up with something.

well, my dad did. We'd have to play what we had for him and he'd then unlock the door.

phoenix_88
01-20-2006, 09:56 PM
get everyone motivated somehow.

just buckle down and say listen. this is what we're going to do blah blah all that
don't be really too demanding cause that will get you nowhere.
just find something to do/play, and stick with it and take away any huge distractions.

phoenix_88
01-20-2006, 09:57 PM
sorry.

or try writing a riff or something outside of practicing... and then you'll be more prepared when you actually do practice.

or try making everyone learn a cover etc.

Dutch_Apples
01-21-2006, 05:12 AM
Don't write at band practice. My other band mates keep thinking that we should write together so everyone can have their own input. I totatly disagree with this for 2 main reasons:

1. Songwriting royalties
2. We have a 6 piece band and things will get hectic.

I perfer to come in with a song already finished, or pieces of one and co-write with 1 or 2 other people. After the song is finished, then you can arrange with other members. The band at last practice tried to "write a song" together and I finally got mad and told them it wasn't songwriting, it was just organizing a jam.

If you don't have any distractions, a big problem would be you don't have any creative songwriters in the band. If that's the case, seek outside help.

Sir Edwin CBE
01-21-2006, 05:47 AM
Sounds like a songwriting problem - wrte a song before the practice and then go and see what happens.

xmrchainsawx
01-21-2006, 10:42 AM
1. Songwriting royalties

Are you guys on a major or indie label, because if not, that stuff shouldnt matter right now.

TimePheonix
01-21-2006, 06:57 PM
this is what happened with the previous members that were in my band:

we met all day and decided to write some songs, and our vocalist kept acting like an idiot and trying to jump over chairs when we would try to get a song started. he also kept throwing chairs at the walls for no reason other than he thought it was fun. this caused us all to quit. and my other guitarist went and formed his own band, because the vocalist pissed him off. so our vocalist went off to college, and me and the bassist decided to try it again. so he changed over to guitar, and our drummer joined back up, and i have to sing and play the songs, and we went and found a bassist.

now all my other guitarist thinks that writing songs is playing songs like "she hates me" and "i just wanna live" as backing tracks and soloing over them. and thats all he does when i get everyone focused enough to write songs, and it takes away from seriousness of what we want to do. so really it seems like im the only one that wants to play. and i cant kick him out of the band, because there is not alot of good guitarists in my school and he knows a ton of theory.

so really my problem is two things :
1) he gets the band unfocused and keeps them unfocused after i try and get them to focus.
2) he never wants to create his own stuff.

i have thought about putting them in their own room for like a half hour and see what they can write so we have some kind of base to start on. would this work?
thanks for the replies so far.

~timepheonix

Baba O'Riley
01-22-2006, 11:43 AM
Have practices with only the band members who actually write. Think about it. What's the point of having people who don't write at a practice dedicated to writing? They'll just be distractions.

patroller69
01-26-2006, 02:02 PM
We have never really had dat problem cus we normally just come up with a riff or something then briefly discuss a topic for what the song could be about. Then i go away nd come up with a few possible basslines and lyrics, the drummer does the same for beats etc. Then we all meet up again at next practice and pitch the ideas to each other , nd mix everything together to get a song.

you could try doing that. :peace:

Rocker4500
01-26-2006, 02:22 PM
Be sure to have a song ready that you can pitch to the band so that they can write their own stuff. If you do that, you will start to rise above and the other members and they will see that you are way more commited. This will make them a) Get commited because they believe in the band and want to also be Mr. Commitment, or b) Realise that your way to serious and all they want to do is have fun, and quit.
It's a perfect way to filter out who in your band is as serious as you, and will leave noone in doubt about where they stand.

TimePheonix
01-26-2006, 07:10 PM
all right. thanks for the help. me and my friend who's not in my band went over to my drummers house and we wrote a full song within like an hour and a half. he is thinking about coming over to my band and bringing his vocalist, and then me and him would be guitar, our other guitarist would be kicked out cause he has no iniative, and i would sing background vocals. thanks for all the advice.

~TimePheonix

Rocker4500
01-29-2006, 09:36 AM
all right. thanks for the help. me and my friend who's not in my band went over to my drummers house and we wrote a full song within like an hour and a half. he is thinking about coming over to my band and bringing his vocalist, and then me and him would be guitar, our other guitarist would be kicked out cause he has no iniative, and i would sing background vocals. thanks for all the advice.

~TimePheonix

That's it! Just try and do the dual songwriting thing on a regular basis!

mong12345
01-29-2006, 04:23 PM
my band recently started just making up some random riff and if it sounds cool we add to it just to throw in some simple chords/powerchords and get a basic drum beat and then we record it all through a cheap old tape recorder go off and improve by ourselves, it really seems to work cuz wen we meet up again we've improved tonnes and move onto the solos in just 4 hours ish per week