keyboards+punk=?

PDA

View Full Version : keyboards+punk=?

Punk Rocker
01-21-2006, 11:30 AM
is there any way on gods green earth that keyboards can fit into punk/metal. Cuz my friend wants to start playing keyboards and asked if we would let him in the band if he got good.

xmrchainsawx
01-21-2006, 11:36 AM
its possible.
everything is possible.

seljer
01-21-2006, 11:40 AM
They can definatley fit into metal, very well too.

Not so sure about the punk part but I'm pretty sure you could work them into it somehow.

GreenDayChris
01-21-2006, 11:42 AM
they can fit into your more 'fun' punk songs, check out 'Drinking and Driving' by the Business or some Sham 69 songs have keyboard/piano bits in (Hurry up Harry and Hersham Boys, I think have some)

jof1029
01-21-2006, 11:51 AM
i have seen a few punk bands that use keyboards, though most of them have one of the guitarists or bassists play keyboards at times. but keyboards do work in punk bands. ever heard of the band something corporate? i know you are going to say they are pop-punk, and i agree, but thats still a form of punk. point is, they have a piano player in their band. you dont have to limit yourself to just the traditional punk instruments (guitar, bass, drums) in a punk band, just look at dropkick murphys. more instruments = more chances to be creative.

the same thing holds true for metal, though i dont listen to much metal so i cant give examples. but i know i have heard keyboards in some of the metal songs i have heard. if your friend gets good enough, let him try out for the band. dont let him in just because he is your friend though, let him in because he is good and fits your style.

Sir Edwin CBE
01-21-2006, 12:04 PM
keyboards + punk = punk

Hardin
01-21-2006, 01:57 PM
Having a keyboard will only help you be more creative as long as the keyboard player is fairly skilled. Think about it...would you rather have more original music or do you it to be the genetic punk sterotype: guitar/bass/drums?

BuryMeInBlack
01-26-2006, 02:43 PM
Although you dont see that many keyboards in metal or punk music, it will make you different which is good. You never know they may add more to the band than just keyboard music.

cokesodanotdrug
01-26-2006, 02:52 PM
punk is punk...you could add a harp player to punk and it'd still be punk, it'd be hard to do, but i'm sure someone could do it. punk is punk no matter what.

asking if having a keyboard is punk is like asking if you're different because you put on two pairs of socks, or you're wearing women's under garments! :rolleyes:

Baba O'Riley
01-26-2006, 05:08 PM
Of course you can have a keyboard in a punk or metal band. Just because an instrument is typically not used in a style of music that doesn't mean it can't be used. In music rules are meant to be broken.

Having a keyboard in a punk/metal band will give your band a more unique sound and originality is something every musician should strive for.

Also keep in mind you can get many different sounds from a keyboard. So if you're worried it'll "sound corny" a lot of that depends on what sound you pick.

My opinion: if this guy gets good enough (and considering we're talking punk music that's not very good :p: ) try him out. If it works out, great. If not, don't worry about it.

psychodelia
01-26-2006, 05:29 PM
Having a keyboard will only help you be more creative as long as the keyboard player is fairly skilled. Think about it...would you rather have more original music or do you it to be the genetic punk sterotype: guitar/bass/drums?

He has a point.

Audio_State
01-27-2006, 07:39 PM
listin to A Llama Eats A Giraffe (And Vice Versa) by ShowBread i know there hardcore but the keyboard is awesome.

neocon58
01-29-2006, 02:06 AM
is there any way on gods green earth that keyboards can fit into punk/metal. Cuz my friend wants to start playing keyboards and asked if we would let him in the band if he got good.

I say omit the keyboard and enjoy life as a typical boring rock band with nothing that every other local band can't offer.

I particularly like the idea of keys and synth in music. I like the way Steve Vai uses synth in some of his songs. Things like strings can be done with a synthesizer as well, and if you do it properly, strings in rock tunes, particularly serious ones, work well.

TheRattležnake
01-29-2006, 02:14 AM

Man you can definitedly have keyboards in punk/metal. Actually i never saw it before and i know that Motioncitysoundtrack is Not punk/metal but theyr keyboarder rocks out sooo hardcore its funny.

Rocker4500
01-29-2006, 09:29 AM
If it makes you sound more unique, then I'd definatley mix keyboards and punk.

yatta
01-29-2006, 08:20 PM
3 words: motion city soundtrack ;)

jklsadj;sadjfak
01-30-2006, 12:39 AM
definatly. dropkick murphys put in a bagpipe. keyboards definatly do-able. That way you can have very unoriginal songs, but the keyboarder will make it seem like, whoa, these guys or so original.