Having trouble making practice more fun

PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble making practice more fun

MNrocker
01-21-2006, 04:29 PM
Lately, practice for my band has gotten dull. We only usually practice 1-2 times per week, and all we ever do is run through out set list and then stop. It seems that practive has gotten dull lately, (at least for 3/4 members), like it is not as fun as it used to be (we've been together for about a year). ANyone have ideas or suggestions to make band practice more fun for everyone?

Masknought
01-21-2006, 04:39 PM
try and write new songs? challenge the whole band to try another genre out or something, maybe you wont want to play songs from another genre, but it will help you as musicians to just try and jam along in them.

OR

have everyone switch instruments. :haha
basically, try and really mix things up.

taxman27
01-22-2006, 02:37 AM
try and write new songs? challenge the whole band to try another genre out or something, maybe you wont want to play songs from another genre, but it will help you as musicians to just try and jam along in them.

OR

have everyone switch instruments. :haha
basically, try and really mix things up.

Actually, more and more bands are doing that now. A friend's brother's band did it at a gig and my old band thought about doing that (We broke up before we could even think about doing that). Of course, everyone must know how to play more then one instrument, but it's still awesome if you can. Another thing you can do is stretch songs out. Jam on songs and improvise on them for a little bit. It helps make practice more fun and helps make ideas you could have never thought of otherwise.

Rodders
01-22-2006, 03:31 AM
I'd pratice less, it seems like your loseing your creativeness. Maybe have a break, think of some new songs, and work on those. Do not play your old songs until you have some new ones, or you'll get stuck in a rut.

Rocker4500
01-22-2006, 06:19 AM
Try and write at least 2 new songs for each pratice and learn them up.

semus
01-22-2006, 08:53 AM
JaM aRounD!

Baba O'Riley
01-22-2006, 11:35 AM
try and write new songs?

:cheers:

Learn some new material. Either write it or play a cover.

MNrocker
01-22-2006, 11:56 AM
sweet, thanks for all the help. I'll try these out at the next practice