Difference between Valve and tube Amps??

PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Valve and tube Amps??

Tiamat
01-21-2006, 08:18 PM
Whats the difference between the two, and how are tube amps better> Also, are valve/tubes in all speakerboxes or just amps, eg what would be in the Behringer BG412V http://www.behringer.com/BG412V/index.cfm?lang=ENG ?

Any help is great, thanks.

guitar_o_gold
01-21-2006, 08:19 PM
there the same damn thing

seljer
01-21-2006, 08:20 PM
Valve = british word for it
Tube = american word for it

as for whats in that that Behringer BG412V you linked: 4 12" BUGERA 50W speakers maybe?

Tiamat
01-21-2006, 08:21 PM
there the same damn thing

then why does everyone say get a tube amp as opposed to a different one?

Well, okay i didnt know that lol :confused:

then whats the difference between Normal amps as opposed to tube/valve? and same 2nd question in post 1.

guitar_o_gold
01-21-2006, 08:27 PM
go look in the articles i have seen something on their differences there before

Tiamat
01-21-2006, 08:31 PM
go look in the articles i have seen something on their differences there before

okay thanks mate, i'll check it out now.

seljer
01-21-2006, 08:33 PM
Normal amps as opposed to tube/valve? and same 2nd question in post 1.

If you're talking about between solid state amps and tube/valve amps:

Solid state amps use solid state circuitry (transistors and other stuff based on semiconductors), tubes amps use vacuum tubes.

Vacuum tubes were invented quiet some time before solid state circuitry which is more durable/reliable/smaller/cheaper and such but we guitarists don't like that. When overloaded vacuum tubes distort in a very round way compared to solid state circuits where its just fuzzy crap when you run out of headroom. Tube amps sound much better than solid state amps 90% of the time.

Tiamat
01-21-2006, 09:00 PM
If you're talking about between solid state amps and tube/valve amps:

Solid state amps use solid state circuitry (transistors and other stuff based on semiconductors), tubes amps use vacuum tubes.

Vacuum tubes were invented quiet some time before solid state circuitry which is more durable/reliable/smaller/cheaper and such but we guitarists don't like that. When overloaded vacuum tubes distort in a very round way compared to solid state circuits where its just fuzzy crap when you run out of headroom. Tube amps sound much better than solid state amps 90% of the time.

okay, so that behringer BG142V would be a solid state amp?

seljer
01-21-2006, 09:06 PM
okay, so that behringer BG142V would be a solid state amp?

that Behringer is just a speaker cabinter. 4 speakers in a box.

Gabel
01-24-2006, 01:40 PM
^Seconded. Always listen to seljer's words of wisedom.

An amp cant give sounds of its own. You need a cabinet for that. A cabinet contain speakers. They have different sizes on them are: 6,5 (only used in 10 watt amps) 8 (often used in 15 w amps) 10 (often used in 30 watt solid state amps) and the 12 (used in most solid state amps over 50 w and on most tube amps with 30 watts or over) inches. Also are cabinets consisting of different amount of speakers, most common are the 4x12 (consisting of four 12inch speakers). If you buy what is called a head, you get an amp. For this you need an external cabinet, often making something called stack or half stack. A stack is often an amp head (on top), a 4x12 with an angeld front and a 4x12 with a straightt front. The most famous stack is of course made by Marshall, as the left on the picture: http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=4100
Half stacks are a stack but with only one cabinet.
Then theres combos. These are as a ap head combined with one (or sometimes two or four) speaker. These are what most people buy. For an example they take up less space and you dont need to spend alot for a cabinet for an example. I myself have a combo. Some also have external speaker sockets, wich means that you can unplugg your speaker and use external speakers (like a 4x12) to get more volume. Then it works like a head. For a picture of combo check here: http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=DSL401

And the only differencs in valve and tube amps is the name. Tube amps are often preferred over solid state, since there sounds is alot better. Some famous tube amps is the Vox AC-30, Marshall JCM800, Marshall JCM900, Fender Twin Reverb, Fender Bassman, Mesa Boogie Dual Retifier and many more.