a few questions.

PDA

View Full Version : a few questions.

inmysleep
01-21-2006, 10:53 PM
alright 1st up how good should the band be and how many songs should they have before the first gig.

2nd how important is a rythmn guitarist. i play lead and rythm and i write two parts for some songs but is it that important or could the bass just fill in for it.

CemtaryDrive10
01-21-2006, 11:09 PM
In theory, bass could fill in for rythmn........ but then youd lose the bass sound if you just use bass for rythmn guitar.....

as for the first question...... idk about how good you should be...... definitly should have chemistry and be used to playing with eachother though...... and you dont have to have your own songs at first you could start off as a cover band and while your doing that start writing your own stuff so youve already got some fans before you put your own songs out......

inmysleep
01-21-2006, 11:10 PM
nah we have 2 originals. we want to have at least 4 before a show but weve actually only been playing together for little over a month. so

Rocker4500
01-22-2006, 06:24 AM
A rhythm guitarist could have all or no value. It just depends how you write. A bonus to having rhythm guitar is that the rhythm guitarist can play straight open chords, and the lead guitarist can play the equivilent barre chords. However, people like Townsend, Page and May all incooperated both roles into their songs.

Baba O'Riley
01-22-2006, 11:33 AM
Question 1: "How good" is a relative term. But you should be able to play all of the songs well. There should be little or no mistakes playing wise and the band should be tight. The number of songs you need depends on the gig. If you're getting a short gig you obviously don't need a lot of songs and vice versa.

Question 2: As earlier said, it really depends on how you write. For example if your songs generally have the same guitar part for the whole song then it shouldn't really matter. However, if your songs don't sound that good with the bass being the "rhythm" part then yes you'll need a rhythm guitarist.

Bulletbass man
01-22-2006, 11:37 AM
my first show we had only covers. Actually we had only been practicing for 2 weeks and the one kid was moving so we just threw together a show. Our second show i had about 4 originals but we played 2 and a instrumental build up to Ironman. Realistically theres no need for a rythm guitarist if yourguitarist is good enough he doesn't need one. Bass can easily supply music for under solos and under riffs. Rythm guitar just adds to it a bit.

inmysleep
01-22-2006, 12:55 PM
well i dont have an insane amount of lead stuff besides a solo here or there or the occasionly lead but the rythmn for it is usualy just a powerchord or sumthing not sumthing a bassist couldnt handle i suppose.

taxman27
01-22-2006, 02:38 PM
alright 1st up how good should the band be and how many songs should they have before the first gig.

2nd how important is a rythmn guitarist. i play lead and rythm and i write two parts for some songs but is it that important or could the bass just fill in for it.

1. As long as you can play the songs without consistently messing up your good. For set list, it depends on what type of gig your playing. I would assume your not playing a talent show type thing so I'd say enough to fill a 45 minute to an hour time slot.

2. What do you think? There's no definite answer to that. If you think you need it, then you do. If you think you don't, then you don't.