Sxsw

PDA

View Full Version : Sxsw

texas78621
01-22-2006, 03:16 AM
Anyone going? I read that Henry (Rollins) will be in town, giving a talk. I wish the Adolescents would play Austin, that's one band I'd love to see again!

Manos15
01-22-2006, 03:20 PM
Didnt the people on the Real World work there?

Andrewbiles
01-22-2006, 05:41 PM
I'm going to see if I can make it next year even if just for one day.

dougiecrystals
01-22-2006, 05:54 PM
Man, I was just gonna make a thread on this yesterday, good thing you made one.

I have like alot of questions about ..

Well one really..

I've never been to a music festival like this so I reallly don't know how it works..

Main question is, how much does it cost to go?

I was reading a post by the Fall of Troy management that said they'd be flying in and performing at SXSW, followed by exact words "you won't believe the bands we will be playing with, it's free and it's all day!"

Okay, so "free", kinda hard to believe but whatever, I then went to the SXSW website ( http://2006.sxsw.com/) to see how I get tickets and whatnot.

Basically what I got is I have to register and pay $525 do buy a "music badge" to see all the bands play.

That's. Alot.

Especially for a 16 year old with no job (at the moment).

So...

Is that how it works?

I knew it'd cost alot, like my friends who went to Austin City Limits, they payed like 100 or so bucks for the two days.

But....christ..$525?

That just basically ruined my night yesterday.

I was really hoping to go watch Mogwai, Minus the Bear, Plot to Blow Up Eiffel Tower, Broken Spindles, Criteria, etc etc..

Thanks much..

Andrewbiles
01-22-2006, 06:13 PM
^ I think it's a week long and there are usually thousands of bands playing. Biggest A&R event in the world.

dougiecrystals
01-22-2006, 06:35 PM
I know, that's what I thought yesterday.

I mean..you are seeing abuuuuuuuuuuuuuunch of bands.

So to set up allll the stages, and pay the 1000+ bands, and have it run smoothly, and tape it, I guess ticket prices would be pretty high.

But then again...525 bucks.

But even if I could pay for that, I'd still have to drive to Austin everyday ...or get a hotel there (which my parents probably wouldn't allow), whichever one, it'd be expensive.

Damn it...

If only I'da known about this in August, at least I'd only have to pay 350ish dollars..

:(

onlyonehere
01-22-2006, 07:03 PM
Biffy are playing. They played last year. As are People In Planes. I wish. One day.

Gurgle!Argh!
01-23-2006, 03:42 PM
its so expensive because it isnt really a music fans festival, its mostly for industry. itd still be pretty fun though...

TheCondors
02-14-2007, 09:26 PM
Seriously.. it cost that much......crap......there goes my spring break plans then..........................deppression :(

slinks
02-14-2007, 10:01 PM
^Registration ended February 9th anyway.

I'm really looking to go to SXSW in the future, though. Seems like a great time. Maybe next year, once I graduate...

dougiecrystals
02-14-2007, 10:44 PM
Seriously.. it cost that much......crap......there goes my spring break plans then..........................deppression :(

No dog, don't fret.
Eff the showcases.

As the saying/song goes, the best things in life are free, and it's true even with SXSW.

It's all about the free day shows.

That's what I'm planning to do this year as I did last.

I like looking at my post from last year, really makes me laugh.

I'm one year older, and hopefully one year wiser.

So this is what I recommend if you're 500 couple bucks short at the moment.

Check the sxsw site out.
Make a list of the bands you dig.
And then go to their website, myspace, purevolume and anything else you can find to see if, when and where they're playing free shows.

It's always nice to show up early to the shows; the bigger the band, the earlier.

I only went to ONE day last year and it was still awesome.

I actually can't wait till next year when I'll hopefully be going to college in Austin.
If I am, I won't have to worry my current problem: transportation and a place to sleep/shower.