band name

PDA

View Full Version : band name

zwart_gitaar
01-22-2006, 09:28 PM
Hey, I was wonderin' if its legal for two diffrent bands to have the same name or close to it? I plan to name our band doppleganger if the drummer is cool with it?
thanks dudes :peace:

wingedgopher
01-22-2006, 09:30 PM
its not if the name is copyrighted

hoobariffer87
01-22-2006, 09:37 PM
I think it's a bad idea whether it's illegal or not. Don't you want to be unique?

zwart_gitaar
01-22-2006, 09:57 PM
Yea. i''m just checkin just in case

cokesodanotdrug
01-22-2006, 11:14 PM
you can't copyright a band name, please read the FIRST post in "THE ONLY BAND NAME THREAD" or w/e, it goes through all the information about band names and do's and dont's one thing from me...DON"T if whoever they are *pardon my ignorance* finds out, it's very annoying, my band has the same incedent and we don't know what to do..it's incredibly annoying and can kill you guys. :peace:

Rocker4500
01-23-2006, 04:03 AM
There's so many names to choose from, if it's similar to someone else's name you should change it for sure.

Nadz
01-24-2006, 06:54 AM
you can't copyright a band name, :

register it as a company or business name and you can

Dutch_Apples
01-24-2006, 12:00 PM
The band name is a service mark, and you have to pay like $400 to get one. If you know of another band using the name you want, it's best NOT to use it. No variations either, like you can't name your band You Too because it's too synomous with another band. And like for instance you if you want to name your band, Silver; you can't spell it Sillver.

The best thing to do is come up with some different names and do the BEST search you can do online and such. Myspace is good to look it up and type in "(insert band name) band" into yahoo.

The general rule if later down the road, you do find another band using it, the band who used it first gets it. But the service mark is VERY important.

cokesodanotdrug
01-24-2006, 02:41 PM
The band name is a service mark, and you have to pay like $400 to get one. If you know of another band using the name you want, it's best NOT to use it. No variations either, like you can't name your band You Too because it's too synomous with another band. And like for instance you if you want to name your band, Silver; you can't spell it Sillver.

The best thing to do is come up with some different names and do the BEST search you can do online and such. Myspace is good to look it up and type in "(insert band name) band" into yahoo.

The general rule if later down the road, you do find another band using it, the band who used it first gets it. But the service mark is VERY important.
alright I'm going to ask you a question seeing as nobody in the band name thread replied to me...

my band Red Revolution, have had our name since atleast 2003, apparently a week ago my bandmate found a Red Revolution from cali that claims to have started in 2004, but the only information linking them to any date is their myspace, we sent them a message telling them "one of us is going to have to change the name, and it's not going to be us" but they responded with "wtf? hella weird!! we're not changing it either" what should we do?

Nadz
02-08-2006, 10:59 AM
it wont really matter unless one of you gets big. but if it does happen and you have evidence you had the name first your fine, and they'll will have to change theirs

cokesodanotdrug
02-08-2006, 02:23 PM
register it as a company or business name and you can
you can't copyright it, you can trademark it, but not copyright. and why the hell would you register it as a company or busuness? you're band may be a group that earns money, but you're in no way your own business. perhaps I'm wrong about that but whatever.

"it wont really matter unless one of you gets big. but if it does happen and you have evidence you had the name first your fine, and they'll will have to change theirs"-Nadz

thanks :-) luckily the problem was resolved they changed their name..unfortunatly for them, they changed it to a band name much more used than our name (we were the only ones using out name, there were about eighty differeny people using their new name)

matthew123
02-26-2006, 07:33 PM
Donkey Raping **** Eaters