Uncommited

PDA

View Full Version : Uncommited

Rocker4500
01-23-2006, 04:27 AM
Hi
Please help out.
There is a guy in my band (rhythm guitarist) who is really uncommited. I think so, the bass player thinks so, the singer thinks so, and the drummer and him exploded at each other last practice.
It seems like he's drifting in a different direction from the band. He comes back every practice (once a week) and completely forgets all the songs that we practice week after week after week. And the stupid thing is he has written some of them! I remember my stuff, the bassist remembers all his lines, the singer remembers all the lyrics, and the drummer remembers all his beats. Why can't he remember? He now has NO songwriting input to the band and spends most of band practice thinking about going out later, smoking and getting pissed. We don't really want to kick him out because he's a good guitarist and mate. Is there any other way around it?

Cheers

Berdt
01-23-2006, 04:42 AM
How you going mate

Yeah...im in a three piece and.. Ive written every song our band has made...and me and the drummer are REALLY commited to the band but our bass player also always seem to be doing something else. EG...just not rocking up to practice...forgetting the songs although hes improved on that...but sometimes doesnt rock up for practice and when we have a gig, rocks up at our practice before the gig SO ****ING LATE....and its annoying. I havent talked to anyone about it really...im sure im not the only one who feels that way.

Anyway, im sorry but i guess i just wanted tog et that out haha. I dont know how to solve it either. Hes is a GREAT mate of mine... Its hard...its worse than wondering if your girlfriend is seeing another guy hahahaa....far worse and mroe cimplicated.

well, yeah so all im saying is your not alone man... PEACE.

tushmeister
01-23-2006, 05:00 AM
honesty is the best policy
that. and a well aimed piece of boloni, right in the Jugular. when we wakes up he will be numb from the wrists down, solution! he cant guitar so its a valid reason!

I needa life...
Tushy

Kids_For_Christ
01-23-2006, 05:01 AM
mate....just get rid of him....
we had teh same problem with our drummer and we had to get rid of him no matter how good a mate he was he just didnt try and learn anything....so yea just do it already pussy bitch

tushmeister
01-23-2006, 05:14 AM
considering your name is
Kids_for_Christ
you aint afraid to throw out expletives for no reason are you?
it worries me, im not a fan of religion but it shows whats becoming of it

Tushy

Baba O'Riley
01-23-2006, 04:08 PM
He now has NO songwriting input to the band...

I don't think that's really an issue as long as someone is writing.

It seems to me that the main problem is he can't remember how to play the songs. Talk to him about this. Find out why he can't. It may be he's just uncommitted or it may be a more serious problem. He may have a medical problem. You also mentioned he spends most of his time thinking about going out later, smoking and getting pissed. People often turn to drugs in bad times. He just might be going through a bad time now.

When you find the root of the problem you'll how to deal with it better. After that give him some time (and possibly help, depending on what it is) to fix it and if he still isn't better kick him out.

Also make sure that when you speak to him you're not being a total asshole. If you're an asshole he won't listen to you. You have to be nice.

Good luck.

patroller69
01-23-2006, 04:56 PM
Hey im the bassist in rocker4500's band ( curtis as i no him), And i think he is starteing to get the idea that were pissed at him , but he doesnt seem to wanna change. Although i no if we kick him out ill never be able to look him in the eye again.

TimmyHendriix
01-23-2006, 05:17 PM
I had the same problem... our old guitarist would make awsome songs every jam and then forget them. Every singe time... He was a good friend of mine but sooneror later it got old....he wasnt good atguitar anyway but i mean i felt bad and stuff. A sugestion would be recording all your jams on a cassate playr thats wha we had to do.

Primate-Primus
01-23-2006, 06:00 PM
Ask him how much does he want to be in the band, and tell him you don't want to hold him to anything he doesnt want to do. If he says he does want to be in the band, ask why he doesnt remember songs and want to practice, maybe it will get him going or make him realize he doesnt really want to do it. Im having the same problem with a vocalist now, and its tough when youre good friends with them. I had to kick a good friend out of the band a while ago, a kid i had been friends for years for, and now we never hang out... so you basically run the risk of losing a friend.

Rocker4500
01-24-2006, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the advice everybody!