Frank Zappa

PDA

View Full Version : Frank Zappa

igotabcrich32
01-23-2006, 07:10 PM
Theres like no Zappa talk here, one of the most amazing guitarists, and just pure genious, i know some people here like them, but for the most part what do you guys think of him

Apostrophe is probbaly my favorite album of his, out of like the 80 something albums he has released

RokyRacoon68
01-23-2006, 07:20 PM
I love Apostrophe, but I find "Were only In It for The Money" to be his best.

Uncle Salty
01-23-2006, 07:30 PM
Apostrophe and Overnite Sensation, and Joe's Garage are my favs, Why does it hurt when I pee? and stinkfoot are my favorite songs

frippogenics
01-23-2006, 08:22 PM
Freak Out! is a great album, can listen to it all the way through.

We're Only In It For The Money is probably my favorite album. It has less track stregnth than Freak Out, but the overall album in its entirety is better.

Uncle Meat is a scattered mess of good songs, but no track really stands out.

Apostrophe's opening suite is great, but it loses steam near the end of the album.

Sheik Yurbouti is his least experimental album that I own. The first 10 or so songs are fantastic, but the album loses even more steam than Apostrophe.

I'd recommend any of the albums I've mentioned. As well as Hot Rats.

igotabcrich32
01-23-2006, 08:45 PM
Yeah Sheik Yerbouti is a great album in my opinion (Flakes and broken Hearts Are For Assholes are the best songs)

i'm trying to get as much Zappa as possible, but my list is looking a bit shabby, so far i have, i need to get more.

Apostrophe
Crusing With Rubean and The Jets
Festival Hall, 73' (bootleg)
Freak Out!
Hot Rats
Joes Garage act 1
Joes Garage act 2 & 3
Just Another Band From L.A
One Size Fits All
Sheik Yerbouti
The Grand Wazoo
Were Only In It For The Money

deadhead313313
01-23-2006, 08:46 PM
I LOVE Frank Zappa. Definately in my top 3 artists. Love all his albums, especially Joes Garage, Hot Rats, Roxy and Elsewhere, You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore 2. All great. A lyrical and guitar genius.

ź├Fire¤nside╗
01-23-2006, 09:24 PM
I want to get Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar, heard some good things...I have 4 Zappa albums at the moment.

jayr123guitar
01-23-2006, 10:00 PM
Zappa is a true genius. The guy released more material than I could ever even have the time to fully absorb. I love Shut up & play Yer guitar, Weasels ripped my flesh, Freak out and all and any high quality live bootlegs that are out there. Check this out while you're at it: http://www.youtube.com/w/Frank-Zappa---Peaches-en-Regalia?v=ucs8OqhryJk&search=frank%20zappa

That_Pink_Queen
01-24-2006, 03:41 AM
Gotta love the stache too :p:

seljer
01-24-2006, 10:15 AM
Apostrophe's opening suite is great, but it loses steam near the end of the album.

Apstrophe (the song off the album) is a pretty cool jam. I've also be continously listening to Uncle Remus for the past few days for some reason (love that piano).

skydogzoso1986
01-24-2006, 10:36 AM
that's a great video man! i love the way he moves :) i really have to check him out, i know a couple of songs, but never really took the time of checking him out

frippogenics
01-24-2006, 12:54 PM
Apstrophe (the song off the album) is a pretty cool jam. I've also be continously listening to Uncle Remus for the past few days for some reason (love that piano).

Apostrophe is a really good song, I just meant the end as a whole doesn't match up to the beauty and hilarity of the first 4 tracks.

guywithaguitar1
01-24-2006, 01:08 PM
Gotta love the stache too :p:

Yes he definetely has a badass goatee

power freak
01-24-2006, 05:35 PM
Personally I think Apostrophe(') is one of Zappa's weakest albums... Nowhere near as good as Sheik Yerbouti or Overnite Sensation!

At this very moment Waka/Jawaka is my favourite but that is likely to change within 24 hours, Sleep Dirt is pretty cool too. For a more "sing-a-long" type thing Live at Roxy would be my choice.

:cheers:

Sherman901
01-24-2006, 06:02 PM
I thought I'd like Zappa. Then I listened to his "We're Only In It For The Money" and it was just... noise. I didn't like it at all. It's so ****ing wierd.

deadhead313313
01-24-2006, 06:04 PM
Well, like, you shouldn't give up on his music right away. His music is tough to get used to, but once you do, it just ****in sticks on you. Maybe try a few more of his albums (Joe's Garage, Roxy/Elsewhere), and see what you think of that.

MeGaDeth2314
01-24-2006, 07:21 PM
I always go through this stage where I forget how much I love Zappa, then I listen to him and realize that he's one of the most creative, original, and best guitarists there ever was. The only album I own is Shut Up And Play Your Guitar, but I've heard his other stuff, and I love it.

self-made_page
01-24-2006, 09:11 PM
I have We're Only In It For the Money, but I'm not terribly impressed with most of it. There's maybe 4 good tracks, but the rest seems like filler.

But I love Titties & Beer.

frippogenics
01-24-2006, 11:10 PM
^ That's my favorite Zappa album. The only thing that I don't like is the noise collage songs.

TribalJMD
01-25-2006, 02:36 AM
just remember...."watch out where the huskys go, dont you eat that yellow snow"

Rhinosaur Bones
01-25-2006, 03:26 AM
The Mothers of Invention NEVER have filler on their albums, especially not Freak Out!, We're Only In It For the Money and Absolutely Free. I have about 14 burnt albums of both Zappa and the Mothers, and I'm slowly working my way through all of them, figuring out which ones I want to buy real copies of.

By the way, anyone who digs weirdness and Frank should listen to the song Billy the Mountain. It's an epic tale.

RokyRacoon68
01-25-2006, 09:35 PM
Freak Out! is a great album, can listen to it all the way through.

We're Only In It For The Money is probably my favorite album. It has less track stregnth than Freak Out, but the overall album in its entirety is better.

Sheik Yurbouti is his least experimental album that I own. The first 10 or so songs are fantastic, but the album loses even more steam than Apostrophe.

I'd recommend any of the albums I've mentioned. As well as Hot Rats.

I agree about Apostrophe, the first four are amazing,but I like Cosmic Debris and Uncle Remus a lot also. Stink Foot is my least favorite along with Apostrophe, just dont find anything great about that instrumental....

ferchersan
01-26-2006, 11:30 PM

Uncle Meat contains some of the early Mothers most complex stuff. Check out "Nine Types Of Industrial Pollution", A Pound For A Brown (on The Bus) and one of Zappa's greatest themes- "King Kong"

ferchersan
01-26-2006, 11:43 PM
Well, like, you shouldn't give up on his music right away. His music is tough to get used to, but once you do, it just ****in sticks on you. Maybe try a few more of his albums (Joe's Garage, Roxy/Elsewhere), and see what you think of that.

Listen to what deadhead313313 said (even though he spends the bulk of his allowance on sniffing glue and Grateful Dead tickets).

Why don't you also try You Are What You Is, it has Steve Vai on it

igotabcrich32
01-27-2006, 04:51 PM
I dont like You Are What You Is at all, if i had t ochoose any of the Vai era it would be Tinsel Town Rebellion, it has a cool version of Peaches En Regalia

mmonster
01-27-2006, 05:50 PM
check out frank zappa and the mother's of invention live @ the filmore.

jeb uh die uh
01-27-2006, 09:12 PM
You Are What You Is and Zoot Allures are quite good also.

Punk Poser
01-27-2006, 09:28 PM
Zoot! Allures is my favorite album by Zappa. I especially love all three instrumentals and the song "The Toture Never Stops".

ferchersan
01-28-2006, 03:19 PM
So, does anybody have any of the NEW Zappa releases? I have FZ:OZ (excellent small band show from Sydney 1976-Terry Bozzio, Roy Estrada, Napoleon Murphy Brock, Andre Lewis & FZ.) Have any of you got Joe's Corsage, Joe's Domage, Joe's Xmasage or Everything is Healing Nicely? So many new releases, i still haven't got the Dub Room Special dvd either. Oh, yeah, i also got the very excellent DTS/CD Halloween. Check out www.zappa.com for more info

BloodOverBlonde
01-29-2006, 06:49 AM
I recently bought both Freak Out! and Hot Rats and I'm in love with both of them. Such a glorious, weird sound, especially on Freak Out! I've noted every album everyone's said and will look into buying some of them.

Dookie_1988
01-29-2006, 06:54 AM
My favorties are actually 'Jazz from hell' and 'Make Jazz Noise Here'...

yes most of the tracks are of the King Crimson school of trippy, but they are very clever...

:cheers:

McClean05
01-29-2006, 03:03 PM
Havn't heard enough of Zappa.
I Heard that ''Sexual Harassment in the Workplace'' is suppose to be great?? :confused:

aphoristicdemon
01-29-2006, 03:04 PM
Titties and Beer

CFlydn9
06-01-2006, 10:13 PM
I have never bought a frank zappa album, but heard a few of songs and like dthem, what the best album to buy first.

mmonster
06-01-2006, 11:20 PM
try Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention Live @ the Filmore,Overnight Sensation,just another Band From L.A.,Roxy & Elsewhere,Joe's Garage.Apostrophe-to name a few

psychodelia
06-01-2006, 11:32 PM
Apostrophe isn't bad to start with.

I just bought his stuff with the LSO... apparently Zappa wasn't too happy with how it turned out, but I've been enjoying it so far. I don't think it's a good introduction to Zappa, though.