Mathcore??

PDA

View Full Version : Mathcore??

guitarwannabe16
01-25-2006, 04:59 PM
Im probably gonna sound like an idiot for asking but what's mathcore? and what are some bands that would fall into this genre?

chase09
01-25-2006, 05:08 PM
mathcore is when math teachers jump and bang on desks, and scream to make music. obviously. some bands would be the Gay Geometry Guys and Anal Lube Algebra

xmrchainsawx
01-25-2006, 05:08 PM
Mathcore, also known as tech hardcore or chaotic hardcore, is a style of hardcore punk recognized for a high level of technical musicianship. The subgenre has its roots in bands like Botch, Deadguy, Kiss it Goodbye, Knut and Rorschach, Starkweather and is currently being promoted by bands such as The Dillinger Escape Plan, Daughters and Converge.

The music is usually filled with discordant, somewhat technical riffing, complex time signatures and song structures, and usually indecipherable lyrics. Songs played by bands of this style tend to vary from mere seconds in length to over 15 minutes and rarely feature a conventional verse-chorus song structure. Other styles of music, such as blues-rock and free jazz have been known to inspire various mathcore bands.

credit: wikipedia.org

edit: typo

guitarwannabe16
01-25-2006, 05:10 PM
ah ok i kno wut it is now

Primate-Primus
01-25-2006, 05:44 PM
I'm a fan of mathcore an I'm interested in seeing where it goes in the next few years, i think its getting bigger with the popularization of bands like Dillinger Escape Plan andBetween The Buried And Me

Cadd99
01-25-2006, 08:53 PM
I'm a fan of mathcore an I'm interested in seeing where it goes in the next few years, i think its getting bigger with the popularization of bands like Dillinger Escape Plan andBetween The Buried And Me
BTBAM are not mathcore.

guitarwannabe16
01-26-2006, 01:41 AM
would the chariot be considered mathcore?

Gomorrah
01-26-2006, 06:29 AM
No.

Other than Dillinger Escape Plan, Into the Moat, Psyopus, Ion Dissonance are all pretty good.

telemaster1952
01-26-2006, 09:27 AM
Mathcore, also known as tech hardcore or chaotic hardcore, is a style of hardcore punk recognized for a high level of technical musicianship. The subgenre has its roots in bands like Botch, Deadguy, Kiss it Goodbye, Knut and Rorschach, Starkweather and is currently being promoted by bands such as The Dillinger Escape Plan, Daughters and Converge.

The music is usually filled with discordant, somewhat technical riffing, complex time signatures and song structures, and usually indecipherable lyrics. Songs played by bands of this style tend to vary from mere seconds in length to over 15 minutes and rarely feature a conventional verse-chorus song structure. Other styles of music, such as blues-rock and free jazz have been known to inspire various mathcore bands.

thats prob one of a few people who can give you a good definition of mathcore or mathmetal

canvasOBSCURE
01-26-2006, 03:29 PM
would the chariot be considered mathcore?

hahahah

Primate-Primus
01-26-2006, 07:32 PM
BTBAM are not mathcore.

hahaha okay. we'll call them grindcore/metalcore with a substantial amount of odd meters and complex guitar parts that display a very high level of musicianship instead.

Combat
01-26-2006, 08:26 PM
its not that funny to be laughing at the chariot and NJ as mathcore. like it says in the definition, mathcore can be stuff that is less complicated like Botch, Converge and The Minor Times. Or it can be what most people think of it as... bands like Psyopus, DEP and such. pretty much as long as the band is dischordanant and has weird time signature changes. Then its considered mathcore, thats how i thought of it.

HairierThanPwn
01-28-2006, 12:58 AM
BUT
NJ and the Chariot know two moveable chords:

|--4--
|--7--
|-----

|--0--
|--0--
|--0--

:)

Cadd99
01-28-2006, 01:21 AM
BUT

|--4--
|--7--
|-----

|--0--
|--0--
|--0--

Haha. So true. I hate NJ.

They're Putthedistortionto27causewecantplayguitarforshnat-core if anything.

Cadd99
01-28-2006, 01:24 AM
hahaha okay. we'll call them grindcore/metalcore with a substantial amount of odd meters and complex guitar parts that display a very high level of musicianship instead.
Do you think when they're asked what genre they define themselves as they say "Yeah dood, we're 100% mathcore yo. Straight up."

Don't kid yourself. They're metalcore.

Edit: Oh yeah, and for these types of stupid genre debates, this morning I took every core band in my iTunes library and renamed all their genres to "Core". Makes everythign so much easier.

_Clayman
01-28-2006, 01:28 AM
hahaha okay. we'll call them grindcore/metalcore with a substantial amount of odd meters and complex guitar parts that display a very high level of musicianship instead.and a very low level of songwriting ability
and idiot can mash together 20 riffs that have nothing to do with each other into a song

it stinks

p.s. ive never heard anyone outside this board refer to this stuff as mathcore. the name is truly your own

Cadd99
01-28-2006, 01:32 AM
and a very low level of songwriting ability
and idiot can mash together 20 riffs that have nothing to do with each other into a song

it stinks

It's hard to write 20 good riffs in the first place. Considering that each one of the listed bands has, let's say, 30 songs, that's over 600 good riffs. For just one guitar. For both guitars and the bass that's over 1800 riffs.

Oh yeah, and the drums too... let's not go there.

_Clayman
01-28-2006, 02:03 AM
It's hard to write 20 good riffs in the first place. Considering that each one of the listed bands has, let's say, 30 songs, that's over 600 good riffs. For just one guitar. For both guitars and the bass that's over 1800 riffs.

Oh yeah, and the drums too... let's not go there.
no one said the riffs were good
they're usually horrid dischordant nonsense and mindless noodling that sounds "mad tech bro"

i could start a grind band tomorrow and have dorky kids in girl pants with pink hair jock my **** like its the bible

Craigo
01-28-2006, 10:38 AM
and a very low level of songwriting ability

it stinks

p.s. ive never heard anyone outside this board refer to this stuff as mathcore. the name is truly your own

Umm... Most mathcore bands do that. And - the tempo and signiture changes mid song and things... It's chaos that is so organisaised it sounds disorganised. That's the magic of it :)

SingTheDeadSong
01-28-2006, 10:50 AM
Fear Before The March Of Flames owns your soul

_Clayman
01-29-2006, 10:38 PM
yeah, if you kiss dudes

Gomorrah
01-29-2006, 10:40 PM
yeah, if you kiss dudes

Haha I can't decide to sig that or keep my new one.

hXcMacbeth3
01-29-2006, 10:40 PM
good one
:rolleyes:

thestrumbum
01-29-2006, 11:30 PM
yeah, if you kiss dudes
hahahaah my man this was good.

guitarwannabe16
01-30-2006, 02:06 PM
this is kinda off the point of this thread

leviathanvolta
01-30-2006, 09:06 PM
they're usually horrid dischordant nonsense and mindless noodling that sounds "mad tech bro"

i could start a grind band tomorrow and have dorky kids in girl pants with pink hair jock my **** like its the bible

Most mathcore bands take alot in from jazz and are extremely techinical and no its generally not mindless noodling also were talking about mathcore not grindcore so what you could do with a grind band is irrelevant also no mathcore is not a term exclusive to this board it was in a ****ing guitar world (no im not saying that makes it better im just saying that its obviously not something just made up on this board)

dead_kennedy
01-31-2006, 03:11 PM

this is true. but i like 'mathcore' regardless.

Paint
01-31-2006, 03:18 PM
mathcore is when bands scream 1 2 3 4!!!! 5 6 7 8!!!!! 9 10!!!!!

531!!!! 7 8 9!!!! SEVEN ATE NINE!!!

no seriously, i always thought that mathcore is when the musicians of a "core" genre used MATH to write songs. like certain time signatures played over a different time signature or used the fret numbers to make certain chords based on the FRET number. or like, how many guitars or drums or strings on an instrument there are and figure out an equation or theory.

5 6 7 8!!!!!

Paint
01-31-2006, 03:28 PM
wait...can there then be like...mathrock? mathjazz? mathpop? mathmetal? mathmetalpopcore? electromath? can there even be a thing called...fearbeforecore? and maybe FORKER? FOURCORE!?!?! FOURSCOREANDSEVENYEARSAGOCORE!!!! DECORE?? SEPRACORE!! DIS-CORE-DENT-CORE?!?! thiscorethatcore? CORE-RUPTION?!?!

kthxbye

NY518
02-01-2006, 08:18 PM
Stop with the sub genres god damn.

mr.joopy987
02-01-2006, 09:39 PM
Not really. And they aren't mathcore.

YAY_FOR_PIE
02-04-2006, 11:43 AM
The only Mathcore CD I have is Miss Machine by The Dillinger Escape Plan, and it's great. I recommend it to anyone who likes Mathcore.

SingTheDeadSong
02-04-2006, 01:29 PM
Not really. And they aren't mathcore.

Fear Before The March Of Flames is a mathcore/hardcore band from Denver, Colorado. Formed in 2002, the band consists of Adam Fisher (Guitar, Vocals), Brandon Proff (Drums), David Marion (Lead Vocals) and Michael Madruga (Bass). Their current sound (as of "Art Damage" ) can be described as experimental hardcore drawing influence from the likes of Converge, The Blood Brothers, and Botch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_Before_The_March_Of_Flames

LACESOUTFOREST
02-04-2006, 06:48 PM
a wise man once said muber 12 is mathcore

i said

maybe

dougiecrystals
02-04-2006, 08:42 PM

Word. I was going to say that you were virtually a hundred percent correct, but you credited it from Wikipedia, which is actually a pretty legit and reputable site.

SilentSpectacle
02-04-2006, 08:47 PM
Fear Before The March Of Flames is a mathcore/hardcore band from Denver, Colorado. Formed in 2002, the band consists of Adam Fisher (Guitar, Vocals), Brandon Proff (Drums), David Marion (Lead Vocals) and Michael Madruga (Bass). Their current sound (as of "Art Damage" ) can be described as experimental hardcore drawing influence from the likes of Converge, The Blood Brothers, and Botch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_Before_The_March_Of_Flames

For all we know you wrote that Wikipedia. Or someone as retarded as you did.

jazzmetalguitar
02-05-2006, 11:55 AM
ok....math-core is as the article described it technical hardcore based around the spontanaiety of time signature changes...so...there are...as the article said two main sub-sub-genres of mathcore...blues influenced and jazz influenced...there for botch and coalesce and the bands they heavily influenced such as norma jean and the chariot are blues-based math-core with do not use the technical complexities which are present in jazzy math-core...which includes bands such as psyopus, into the moat, ion dissonance and such...now can this be settled?

Nephren-Ka
02-06-2006, 01:45 AM
The End - "Within Dividia" may be worthy of a listen

HairierThanPwn
02-07-2006, 08:28 PM
The only Mathcore CD I have is Miss Machine by The Dillinger Escape Plan, and it's great. I recommend it to anyone who likes Mathcore.

No ****.

EmoSlayer666
02-07-2006, 09:48 PM
I think all you guys are wrong with the whole scene of Metalcore.. Metalcore is just a Hybrid of Hardcore music with a more Metal Sound.. Using Metal riffs, and having a little more Melody in the Lyrics.. ie.. Killswitch Engage, God Forbid, Shadows Fall, Overcast.. To which Overcast started the whole Metalcore genre.. Former Overcast vocalist Brian Fair (who is now in shadows fall) was in a band with Killswitch Engage's bassist Mike D'Antonio.. They practicvally invented Metalcore.. Later on in 1998 Overcast Broke up and Brain went to Shadows Fall, and Mike D hooked up with Aftershock's guitarist's Joel Stroetzel and Adam Dutkiewitz to later on form Killswitch Engage with Vocalist Jesse Leach.. Later on becoming the biggest Metalcore band today.. if you still dont know what metalcore sounds like just listen to Shadows Fall or Killswitch Engage..

Primate-Primus
02-07-2006, 09:56 PM
I think all you guys are wrong with the whole scene of Metalcore.. Metalcore is just a Hybrid of Hardcore music with a more Metal Sound.. Using Metal riffs, and having a little more Melody in the Lyrics.. ie.. Killswitch Engage, God Forbid, Shadows Fall, Overcast.. To which Overcast started the whole Metalcore genre.. Former Overcast vocalist Brian Fair (who is now in shadows fall) was in a band with Killswitch Engage's bassist Mike D'Antonio.. They practicvally invented Metalcore.. Later on in 1998 Overcast Broke up and Brain went to Shadows Fall, and Mike D hooked up with Aftershock's guitarist's Joel Stroetzel and Adam Dutkiewitz to later on form Killswitch Engage with Vocalist Jesse Leach.. Later on becoming the biggest Metalcore band today.. if you still dont know what metalcore sounds like just listen to Shadows Fall or Killswitch Engage..

em.. I think the subject is mathcore not metalcore. But thanks anyways!

EmoSlayer666
02-08-2006, 12:19 PM
Oh ****t never mind...Sorry.. about that.. :bash:

helloassholes
05-29-2006, 10:11 PM
mathcore involves chromatics, atonal or symetrical scale shapes and off time/ odd time signatures. botch, converge, btbam, the minor times, and norma jean are nowhere close to this characterization. metalcore does not = mathcore. look up behold the arctopus, dep, or orthrelm.

MEmmett
05-30-2006, 01:58 PM
Converge and Dillinger Escape Plan are 2 examples of mathcore, but I would say Dillinger Escape Plan are equally influenced by free jazz.

Between The Buried And Me arent mathcore.

JobForACowboy
05-30-2006, 08:14 PM
converge??? i really dont think converge are mathcore at all

but dep = tech metal/mathcore 101, also btbam is categorized as tech metal.

SilentSpectacle
05-30-2006, 08:16 PM
also btbam is categorized as tech metal.

Whoever you got that categorization from is wrong. It's obvious that BTBAM aren't metal, and they are obviously tech, but not in the way that mathcore is.

ouchies
05-30-2006, 08:24 PM
im pretty sure tech metal/tech hardcoreis the same thing as mathcore.

BTBAM is just a wierd band, they sort of made their own genre.

And mathcore bands I like are converge, into the moat, the number 12 looks like you, dillinger escape plan, and ARCHITECTS

JobForACowboy
05-30-2006, 08:36 PM
btbam = mathcore/tech metal d00d

SilentSpectacle
05-30-2006, 08:51 PM
btbam = mathcore/tech metal d00d
Yes sir, genre-master.

JobForACowboy
05-30-2006, 08:51 PM
i get that alot.

jazzmetalguitar
05-31-2006, 09:19 PM
okay....A) converge does use chromatics and atonals....B) they messed with time sigs before a lot of these bands were around(listen to the saddest day)...and i <3 all good math core....its so lovely and it makes my brain explode in the most joyous way

Craigo
06-02-2006, 05:33 AM
BUT

|--4--
|--7--
|-----

|--0--
|--0--
|--0--

Old.

Craigo
06-02-2006, 05:34 AM
mathcore is when math teachers jump and bang on desks, and scream to make music. obviously. some bands would be the Gay Geometry Guys and Anal Lube Algebra

Sigged.

jazzmetalguitar
06-07-2006, 07:58 PM
wait...can there then be like...mathrock? mathjazz? mathpop? mathmetal? mathmetalpopcore? electromath? can there even be a thing called...fearbeforecore? and maybe FORKER? FOURCORE!?!?! FOURSCOREANDSEVENYEARSAGOCORE!!!! DECORE?? SEPRACORE!! DIS-CORE-DENT-CORE?!?! thiscorethatcore? CORE-RUPTION?!?!

kthxbye

well uhm...actually...there is a genre called math rock....some bands that could fit into this genre are like king crimson, rush, and to some degree pink floyd...more recently tabula rasa and sleepytime gorilla museum etc....math metal is also a genre which is similar to progressive and tech metal, or to some degree avant-garde metal bands...so stop the poor sarcasm and do your research

m3tz
06-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Anyone who likes mathcore should seriously check out Into the Moat

Kgoodrich
03-12-2008, 10:23 AM
i just want to throw in a LOL in this thread.