Are Martin/Taylor guitars really worth the money?

PDA

View Full Version : Are Martin/Taylor guitars really worth the money?

Cecil Gonzales
01-27-2006, 10:13 AM
I'm still using my crappy aria for an acoustic at the moment and no matter what I try to alter the tone it still sounds pants.
I've decided that I have to bite the bullet and upgrade to a better guitar.

I've read a lot of reviews saying that Martin and Taylor guitars are the bees knees when it comes to acoustics but none of the music shops near me stock them; so I haven't been able try one for myself.

I'm looking at spending between 400-800 but most the guitars in these ranges are
1000 upwards - Are they really worth the money, or are you just paying for the name?

Has anyone got/tried any of these guitars? If so is there a particular you'd recommend?

punks-not-dead
01-27-2006, 10:21 AM
ive played a martin plenty of times, its not mine but two close freinds have one and i practically call it mine, and yes they are worth it, every aspect about them is practically godlike in terms of a guitar, the neck has great action and plays beutifully so i recomenned shelling out the cash for one adn i plan on doing the same my friend. Good luck with your decision

joyful womble
01-27-2006, 04:48 PM
i would have a look and play at an avalon gold series, if you can. very nice guitars, made here in northern ireland. might perhaps be a bit dear though. but i have to say that martins are very nice indeed, i've played one and it had a great neck/action and sounded amazing, really sang out.

Bulletbass man
01-27-2006, 04:50 PM
Martins are well worth the money. My friend has a martin acoustic electric. Its amazing. If you can scrounge up the cash get it.

moe_d
01-27-2006, 06:15 PM
the middle and high end guitars from martin and taylor are worth the money
the low end however arent.

the_white_bunny
01-27-2006, 06:21 PM
i have a 1000 doller taylor.......

uhhh youll cream your self over the tone

Liam Alan
01-27-2006, 06:28 PM
Two of the Best sounding guitars I have ever heard are a 1966 Martin D-28 and a Clarence White D-28. I can't decide which was better the White model's Spruce top or the 1966 Brazilian Rosewood. Both are amazing. I have a D-16 which I could be happy with forever. Or until I get my Gibson J-45 Rosewood :D.

zeta5
01-27-2006, 06:30 PM
I would say yes. I personally haven't tried out a Martin or a Taylor (at least not the upper end), but you can tell the difference from a Takamine G-series and a Gibson Songwriter. The craftsmanship of acoustics get better with more expensive prices. With pleasure comes pain.

Cecil Gonzales
01-28-2006, 06:00 AM
Cheers for the advice - I think I'm gonna have to make the trip to somewhere that sells them and try a few out for myself

smashngrab1991
01-28-2006, 12:41 PM
I tryed my friends dads realy high end martin he bought about 30 years ago. I thought it was way too basy sounding and not enough sustain, however the action and playability were superb, too bad it sounded a bit crap...

the_white_bunny
01-28-2006, 05:52 PM
I tryed my friends dads realy high end martin he bought about 30 years ago. I thought it was way too basy sounding and not enough sustain, however the action and playability were superb, too bad it sounded a bit crap...

martins have more bass

taylors have more treble

martin when you buy the guitar the sounds will stay the same for ever

taylor as they age the sound alters for the better

dgonz
01-28-2006, 10:40 PM
Both make some great guitars, just a personal preference between the two. It depends on what you're looking for.

In general, most people want something that sounds great to them and inspires them, is good enough quality to last as long as they'll want to use it, and won't cost an obscene amount of money (what that means to them).

Some people find this in a $500 Seagull, some in a custom $25,000+ Jeff Traugott fingerstyle guitar, some in a Martin or a Taylor. For a whole lotta people, Martins and Taylor can fit that bill pretty well. Both make some great higher end guitar (their $1000+ lines), and between the two, their different feels and tones appeal to a huge chunk of the guitar playing audience.

My recommendation is to play some of the best, highest end guitars you can so you KNOW what you want in a guitar - the neck, the feel, the tone, the bass, the mids, the looks, etc. Then come back here or look online to find the closest to that as you can find within your price range. In general, I would say if you look over $600 or so, most bigger name brands have something that might fit that bill to a lot of newer players that would be asking that question in the first place.

When I first started getting into guitars, there was a whole lot of "This one seems cool, so I'll get it.", followed by more of "Damn, I wish I would have played this other thing because this is what I really wanted."

If you have the opportunity, play a Martin D-18 or Taylor 310 or higher - then go from there. Note what you like and don't like...

- neck feel
- tone
- playability
- better for fingerstyle or strumming
- looks