[powertab,midi]Experimental Piece

PDA

View Full Version : [powertab,midi]Experimental Piece

Garb
01-29-2006, 12:29 PM
I think yesterday was musical genius(compared to previous days) for me....This has got to be by far the best I've ever written.

Missing one measure bar, but that's because if I had the measure bar in that particular line, the solo would've been messed up and there wouldn't have been 4 beats in one measure... But other than that, I put measure bars after every 4 beats. The violins are messed up too, I accidentally left them on 6string EADGBe, and I was too far in to change the parts so I left them like that. And I'm not sure about the cello tuning..I put it on ADCG, but I'm not sure if it's right pitch...Hope you all like!

psychodelia
01-29-2006, 12:49 PM
I liked measures 78 to 98 the best, the piano and guitar stuff didn't do it for me. The randomn string stuff worked well with the rhythmic background.

EDIT: Listened again, and I definitely like the all-string part. Maybe you could make a song revolving just around that? Some of the intervals are really cool.

Garb
01-29-2006, 01:04 PM
Thanks... The only thing I play out of all those is guitar... So I'm surprised it turned out as well as it did....Especially the cello/violin part; I was sure I was gonna ripped apart for that. lol

slash_620
01-29-2006, 02:29 PM
to random for me...

Mack56
01-29-2006, 03:27 PM
well, i don't know what to make of this. i mean it sounds alright, but it's just so random. It's sorta confusing.

dream{M}theater
01-29-2006, 08:27 PM
First of all, it sounds like you wrote this piece based off guitars (since i see alot of power chords and reg. guitar chords in the piano parts), so it would be pretty unrealistic to play as a "piano" song.
Secondy, it would be pretty unrealistic to play as a song overall, considering you used many different instrutments
Thirdly, it seems that you went way out of your way just to made the song sound experiemtal, and it ended up sounding very random and each part of the song doesn't fit together as a song as a whole. It sounds like bits and peices of many different songs and very random^ as Mack said.

I really liked some parts of it, but as a song as a whole, i would give it a 2/10

Garb
01-29-2006, 08:52 PM
Well, as I said above I don't play any of those instruments except guitar, so yeah, everything is based off of guitars.... I didn't really go out of my way to make it sound like that, I thought it went quite smoothly, I got a lot of positive feed back from the locals(Okay, so parents and friends aren't gonna tell you that you fail at music..But still..) so I figured, "Hey, this might be something to redeem myself a little with UG since they don't like me/anything I do at all!"...I guess I still can't compose music....Better luck next time, eh?

piratepirate
01-29-2006, 09:35 PM
i sort of liked the randomness, and a lot of it transitioned well in my opinion. However, soem others brought up some practical issues which i think are valid. This song would be pretty much impossible to play on a lot of the instruments you intended it for. But hey, theres definately a lot of good in this piece. I'd say its a tad incoherent, maybe add a few repeating melodic hooks to tie the piece together.

JonBonDon
02-04-2006, 08:01 AM
like the others said. it`s to random. The instruments are well aranged but as a whole song it`s really to random. sounds all a little bit virtuoso like. But there are also many good licks and progressions in it. so keep up your work.

poopikins
06-20-2006, 05:23 PM
Very weird and probably impossible to play in real life...but very interesting none the less. To me it sounded like listening to somebody's musical stream of consciousness... You should probably take some of the better riffs from the song, clean them up, and use them in different, better organized songs.

Guitar_&_bass_1
07-28-2006, 10:53 AM
if you made an album of this, i would buy it, nuff said. :D (please look at mine too hehe)

Schecter86
07-28-2006, 01:50 PM
yah it was random, like said before, but was also arranged good, like said before too, lol, it keeps you listening to it, which is a good thing, crit any of mine if you get a chance, the links are in my sig, thanks!!!

afortuneinlies
07-28-2006, 04:40 PM
i'm going to be honest, there wasn't a single part in that song that i enjoyed. It just seemed like it was completely empty...scarcely was there more than a single chord per bar...and the piano didn't make sense since it was pretty much common guitar chords....and if you look at the compostitional mistakes in powertab...there are 59. I'm not saying that you need to stop writing music...no one needs to stop writing music (except linkin park) Brutally honest criticism is the best way to motivate someone to do their best at trying harder and not settle for a single negative reaction. keep workin dude.

Spark1284
07-28-2006, 04:46 PM
it was annoying and random and impossibly fast in some parts... bars 77 to 98 or so had a mahavishnu orchestra vibe and for that area there it seemed like you knew what u were doing... but after that u resort back to the old riff, which wasnt to fancy. id suggest maybe right progressive music, or at least if ur gonna right something that doesnt make sense, use some better riffs

HumanitysDeath
07-28-2006, 05:47 PM
As someone else said, too random for me.
A lot of it didn't flow very well.
The guitar and piano went pretty well.
But then the violin? Didn't go with it at all. It was a completely different mood and everything.
There was a guitar solo, before the violin stuff, that I liked a lot. It sounded very good.

It was sketchy. I think the whole violin and cello stuff was just ridiculously out of place.
Other than that it was okay.

Crit my latest?
Link in sig.

i3lackmagik
07-28-2006, 06:37 PM
I think the main problem with this piece is that you have let if become far too influenced by blues. In the cello and violin passage, you lose this influence, and it works out much better. During the piano and guitar parts, if you let go of the tonalities that you are used to playing and hearing in popular music, the results will be much more fitting to compliment the string section. As it is, these sections seem less experimental than random phrases put together over chords in the hopes of sounding cool. For example, bars 130-131 don't make much sense, since you have played an Eb, F, and F# over an E5, but no E! Movable patterns won't work unless you move them the same distance as the chords. It needs more work.

~i3~

piquet
07-30-2006, 11:27 AM
Jazz-fusion/classical blues on crack. That was definately something new for me.

chocolatguitar
07-31-2006, 05:38 PM
that was certainly...experimental.

a bit too random for me, but i don't know if i have room to talk based off the randomosity of my song. it sounded strange during some parts...just like...out of key or something. i don't know.

crit mine?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=404900