Killswitch Engage

PDA

View Full Version : Killswitch Engage

THC
01-29-2006, 05:35 PM
Hey everybody(i just got bitched at in the metal forum for posting about killswitch) i just wanted to start a tthrad and talk about this amazing band. I find them more intersed then most metal bands. Lets talk.

PS-Im having a hard time telling the differnet between hardcore, metalcore, and metal. whats the different?

Rankles
01-29-2006, 05:44 PM
Metalcore is metal with hardcore vocals and more hardcore influence.

PiNk_ThE_pUnK
01-29-2006, 05:47 PM
BLIMEY! Rankles in the hardcore forum, wonders will never cease :p:

Anyway the only CD of theirs I have is Alive Or Just Breathing and it's alright, I heard Rose Of Sharyn off The End Of Heatache and thought it was absolute turd. Howard can't touch Jesse at all when it comes to vocals, musically however I haven't been able to tell the difference.

THC
01-29-2006, 05:52 PM
Yeah i like howard to tough. jessie is a better screamer, so hardcore is with screaming vocals? and metalcore is metal with hardcore voacls?

PiNk_ThE_pUnK
01-29-2006, 05:59 PM
It all depends on the genre of hardcore, it seems these days that there's a million different genres. Screamo, tough guy, old skool, new skool, experimental hardcore, mathcore, fashioncore etc etc

The vocals from all those genres are all very very different, apart from maybe tough guy and old skool.

THC
01-29-2006, 06:02 PM
thats f.uck,ed. what would pantera be classified as?

PiNk_ThE_pUnK
01-29-2006, 06:05 PM
Just plain Heavy Metal as far as I know, maybe they're thrash though. Who really cares? They're a great band which tends to jump genres in terms of their fans.

THC
01-29-2006, 06:06 PM
yeah thats true, im pretty sure there thrash or speed metal. like slayer!

Martyr's Prayer
01-29-2006, 11:52 PM
KsE is awesome, I love their DVD. And dude, Rose of Sharyn is great!! I went to one of their shows and EVERYBODY was singing along, especially on Rose of Sharyn. It was awesome. As I Lay Dying played before them to, and they played the best show I've ever seen.

martyr
01-30-2006, 12:11 AM
Is this thread seriously going to happen.

hXcMacbeth3
01-30-2006, 12:23 AM

i fear it just might

J Lock
01-30-2006, 02:53 AM
Guilty pleasure of mine.
I cant help but like an angry black guy.

TheSlayer
01-30-2006, 02:13 PM
I think they're a very good band, saw them live and they put on a show. I think Howard is there best singer.

Martyr's Prayer
01-30-2006, 03:15 PM
It's a matter of opinion between Howard and Jesse. I like Jesse's screaming ALOT better, but Howard has better cleans. I do think Howard fits The End of Heartache album much better than Jesse would have.

dimebag7
01-30-2006, 03:20 PM
yeah same here, jessie a better screamer but not a better singer, jessie wouldnt of fit with the new album

Charlatan_001
01-30-2006, 05:21 PM
yeah thats true, im pretty sure there thrash or speed metal. like slayer!

No, not speed. Just thrash.

And KsE are pretty good. I didn't like Howard at first, but then his vocals grew on me. I like his high-end screaming better than Jesse.

LedZeppelin
01-30-2006, 06:36 PM
ewwwwwww

End of Heartache is an awful, awful cd. It makes me want to kill myself. And not in the good, scenexcore way. First two CD's were pretty good, but TEOH is audiopoop.

Scourge441
01-30-2006, 10:14 PM
To all of the people asking about metalcore, it's hardcore played with heavier distorition and double bass drums. If it were metal with hardcore vocals and other influences, it would probably go in the metal forum. Some bands like Trivium, Shadows Fall, and God Forbid have a thrashier inlfuence, but this only extends to the lead guitars; everything else is straight metalcore.

As for Killswitch Engage, The End of Heartache was the album that got me into them. Their older stuff is a lot better though. Take This Oath, When Darkness Falls, and World Ablaze are good songs, but they just don't compare to Temple From the Within, Just Barely Breathing, or In The Unblind.

stonedkirby
01-31-2006, 02:41 AM
killswitch was my first real metalcore band...i used to like Black Dahlia murder a year before but never followed up in the general metal genre , and continued to listen to my rap crap ( hey , im hispanic and from brooklyn , at least im not white =P) ANYWAY , killswitch and all that remains got me...here...without them i wouldnt be on this forum =D

but yeah , killswitch is a good band. they sold out , fine , theres plenty more bands out there if you dont like it. personally , i dont really like theyre last album , howards singing pisses me off , i loved jesse. anyway , a good place to start , catchy , imaginative , good , and you'll look back at it later after listening to other bands and be like....theyre pretty talented =O why did i stop listening to them?

you know what though , for such a band name , they dont have any really violent or gross lyrics. when i told my mom i was getting into a band called killswitch engage , she looked at me in the typical horrified hispanic mohter way. " Are you gonna start worshiping satan too soon ?" " yes. yes i am." my music scares her , yet she doesnt know what the lyrics are. i dont listen to anything satanic at all , the closest thing would be an occasional crade of filth song. xD

Charlatan_001
01-31-2006, 03:34 AM
Oh that's friggin' hilarious. Killswitch Engage isn't a violent band name at all.

THC
01-31-2006, 06:50 AM
Do you guys think that kse has a bit of thrash influcen? or just straigh metalcore and hardly any metal?

Me2NiK
01-31-2006, 02:11 PM
Don't put (what the **** is a puch? -ed) too much emphasis on genre. It doesn't really matter. Too much emphasis on genre turns you into an elitist.

As for KSE, not a big fan, but eh, okay, I'll listen to them sometimes.

Leftover_Crack
01-31-2006, 06:00 PM
Yuck, and the new singer sucks "Im black, and thats my gimick". I mean all the gangxta's call me an inside oreo ya don't see me braggin.

Charlatan_001
01-31-2006, 07:55 PM
Do you guys think that kse has a bit of thrash influcen? or just straigh metalcore and hardly any metal?

The word (as stupid as it is) "metalcore" has "metal" in it, so it must have some metal in it :rolleyes:

LedZeppelin
01-31-2006, 08:13 PM
Don't put (what the **** is a puch? -ed) too much emphasis on genre. It doesn't really matter. Too much emphasis on genre turns you into an elitist.

As for KSE, not a big fan, but eh, okay, I'll listen to them sometimes.

No, any emphasis on genre turns you into a person who's knowledgeable about music. There's a reason we separate metal from metalcore. How do you think Trivium threads would look in the metal forum next to threads about Darkthrone, 1349, and Cannibal Corpse?

Martyr's Prayer
01-31-2006, 11:04 PM
^Musical elitist.

forever_27
02-01-2006, 10:02 AM
I had a friend who told my I had to listen to them about 3 years ago. He gave me his CD player and My Last Serenade began playing, and a minute late I was hooked. If your a true fan of them, the DVD is an essential buy. I have a lot of respect for them by being able to switch lead singers and still maintain there awesome sound.

We_Wont_Die
02-04-2006, 09:15 PM
I think Life To Lifeless is an awesome song.

dimebag7
02-06-2006, 02:19 PM
Yeah i want that dvd for my bday.

Jonjon_Samoa
02-06-2006, 04:00 PM
No, any emphasis on genre turns you into a person who's knowledgeable about music. There's a reason we separate metal from metalcore. How do you think Trivium threads would look in the metal forum next to threads about Darkthrone, 1349, and Cannibal Corpse?

Well trivium do have a lot of metal influences and many parts of their songs have a similar sound to metallica...listen to the last 2 mins of "rain" it sounds so much like towards the end of metallica's "one". its simply a metal sound which has evolved and personally i think bands like killswitch and trivium are awesome!

GoodCharloteSux
02-06-2006, 05:36 PM
Killswitch has a bit of a thrash influence I would say. Proof: Rose of Sharyn, My Last Serenade, World Ablaze

dimebag7
02-06-2006, 06:59 PM
that was my though also. annd when darkness falls.

LedZeppelin
02-06-2006, 07:55 PM
Killswitch has a bit of a thrash influence I would say. Proof: Rose of Sharyn, My Last Serenade, World Ablaze

Yes, but shitty, pussified thrash. :p:

Rose of Sharyn would kick ass were it not for the annoying formula of all the songs on TEOH. Great riffage.

dimebag7
02-06-2006, 08:07 PM
Yes it isnt the tightest thrash but its ttehre none the less.

hobo467
09-13-2006, 11:10 PM
Honestly, metal is metal; just roll with it.

StuartR
09-14-2006, 02:50 PM
Yeah but where in the HARDCORE forum.

sendmeapick
09-18-2006, 12:28 AM
killswitch engage rule!!! went to their concert and it was crazy! people nearly died (exageration) but it was awesome.. rose of sharon got the whole place moving. i read other threads and lots of people dont like the movement that goes on at shows but if your at killswitch engage expect to be bashed around

VoodooChilDD13
09-18-2006, 08:34 PM
KsE is awesome, I love their DVD. And dude, Rose of Sharyn is great!! I went to one of their shows and EVERYBODY was singing along, especially on Rose of Sharyn. It was awesome. As I Lay Dying played before them to, and they played the best show I've ever seen.

yeah man i was at that same show i think haha

anyways kse has left its original roots but i can still dig it, i think personally like howards choruses and hes very good on stage, but nothing beats jesses scream. the dvd is awesome/hilarious/good/erotic haha buy it. i think these guys have influenced so many bands today and thats why there one of my favs.

and i dont think howard uses the whole "im black" as a gimmic, isnt music about the sound?

mh250nt
09-19-2006, 08:15 AM
I can't wait for the new cd. From what Killswitch says, it's going to be more like AOJB. I think the title "As Daylight Dies" isn't a very original album name but thats ok. I have high hopes for these guys!

Rainmaker
09-21-2006, 05:37 PM
I can't wait for the new cd. From what Killswitch says, it's going to be more like AOJB. I think the title "As Daylight Dies" isn't a very original album name but thats ok. I have high hopes for these guys!

I've heard 5 tracks from the new CD and it's absolutely incredible!

I cannot ****ting wait until november 20th.

random988
09-21-2006, 08:17 PM

Where did you hear the 5 tracks?

Rainmaker
09-22-2006, 09:30 AM
Where did you hear the 5 tracks?

I'm a journo, so I get sometimes get stuff before it's released.

This Is Absolution is my current favourite track out of the five, but they're all jaw dropping.

benchiefjr
09-22-2006, 02:16 PM
the 5-song sampler is floating around on torrents

mh250nt
09-22-2006, 07:20 PM
the 5-song sampler is floating around on torrents

Whats that?

Invictious
09-22-2006, 07:45 PM
I'd say my fav song from KsE is rose of Sharyn.

Well there is an angry black dude screaming there..

I'd call them thrash and metalcore?

random988
09-23-2006, 05:10 AM
Yeah i found the sampler torrent. "This is absolution" is probably my fav as well, Nothing new just a bit more technical then "The End of Hearache"

Charlatan_001
09-23-2006, 09:23 PM
I'd say my fav song from KsE is rose of Sharyn.

Well there is an angry black dude screaming there..

I'd call them thrash and metalcore?

Well, thrash is a brand of metal, so just leaving it as "metalcore" would suffice.

I used to really like KsE, now they're alright. I still think Howard is a better vocalist than Jesse, although on the song "Alive or Just Breathing?" Jesse's vocals are soooo haunting. I don't think Howard could pull that off. Anyways, it's a close one.

My favorite song prob has to be The Element of One

mike130
09-23-2006, 11:42 PM

Agreed, the new stuff is incredible. At least KsE hasn't bombed their new album, as Trivium has...

TeenBite
09-24-2006, 04:48 AM
Don't mention KsE and Trivium in the same comment again. Thanks xx.

I can't wait for the new album. Their mix of melody and heaviness is perfect for me.

mh250nt
09-24-2006, 01:59 PM

I can't wait for the new album. Their mix of melody and heaviness is perfect for me.

I agree with you. I have the five preview tracks and the songs are amazing. They are way beyond my expectations. The instruments are more technical and Howards singing/growls/screams/song writing are better than ever.

Rainmaker
09-28-2006, 06:42 AM

LOL!

I will 2nd this request.

And you were so polite about it too. :D

recoilofdarknes
09-29-2006, 01:34 PM
Killswitch got me into the whole hardcore screaming thing plus they are kisk ass guitarests as well as awsome vocals and lyrics.........still waiting for new album.

jerock21
10-22-2006, 01:44 AM
i was recently able to get the entire as daylight dies cd (dont bash me, i have FULL intent of buying the cd). Its amazing. They stuck with the big sing along chorus', except now all the inbetweens seem heavier. The guitar playing is A LOT better, and i just think it is an overall amazing disc. Its something i think and KsE fan should by, along with the self titled cd, Alive or Just Breathing, The End of Heartache, and of course the (set this) world ablaze dvd. Seriously though, there is a lot more thrash and southern metal influence in their music, and it rocked my balls off.

random988
10-22-2006, 07:05 AM
The whole album is awsome, some of the songs (eg/ eye of the storm, reject yourself) sound like aojb but with howard imo...while other songs are different again eg/ "arms of sorrow" is all clean vocals and has negative lyrics and "my curse" which is very southern metal influenced. I dont dislike 1 song on this album!

StuartR
10-22-2006, 07:18 AM
Do you dislike 2 then?

random988
10-23-2006, 05:45 AM
lol...every song on this cd is good! is that better?

apc--ibanez
10-23-2006, 06:28 AM
Saw this band for the 2nd time on Saturday with Unearth, they are absolutely brilliant live, Adam D is hilarious. I like every one of Killswitch's songs, the new album is great as well.

s1ckn3ss
10-23-2006, 02:15 PM
I already downloaded 5 songs from their new album. It's really good!!!!! Cant wait to hear the entire the album.

metal_matt6
10-23-2006, 04:09 PM
i downloaded most of the new album (and plan on buying it when it comes out) and it is amazing but i feel that they need to get back to there heavyier roots, like the songs i heard are good but there nothing compared to rusted embrace, soilborn, temple for within etc.

mh250nt
10-23-2006, 08:10 PM
i downloaded most of the new album (and plan on buying it when it comes out) and it is amazing but i feel that they need to get back to there heavyier roots, like the songs i heard are good but there nothing compared to rusted embrace, soilborn, temple for within etc.

I agree with you. Now that they have 3 solid full lengths I think its time for them to get rid of most of the singing, experiment with song structure and just get heavier again really. But the 4th disc is a long way off of course.

TheWolfIsLoose
10-25-2006, 06:03 PM
Killswitch is ****in amazing. I love the end of heartache

StuartR
10-25-2006, 06:38 PM
I agree with you. Now that they have 3 solid full lengths I think its time for them to get rid of most of the singing, experiment with song structure and just get heavier again really. But the 4th disc is a long way off of course.

4 full lenghts.

mh250nt
10-25-2006, 07:36 PM
4 full lenghts.

I wouldn't count the self titled as a full length. Or maybe it is.

Sora 01
10-26-2006, 07:51 AM
I just got killswitches new album off of a torrent. Really good so far ive listened to first 4 songs. much more singing and melodic guitar.

StuartR
10-26-2006, 01:19 PM
I wouldn't count the self titled as a full length. Or maybe it is.

Well it's over 40 minutes.

Just because it has bad production doesn't mean it's not a full album.

mh250nt
10-26-2006, 01:35 PM
Well it's over 40 minutes.

Just because it has bad production doesn't mean it's not a full album.

Do you have to be an ass in every post you make?

GoodCharloteSux
10-26-2006, 01:37 PM
Yea please excuse him for making a point. You are an idiot, ofcourse its a full length.

LedZeppelin
10-26-2006, 01:39 PM
Do you have to be an ass in every post you make?

Oh please. Have a sense of humor.

mh250nt
10-26-2006, 01:51 PM
Alright, I guess I was being too harsh on Stewy. My bad

technicolour
10-26-2006, 04:13 PM
They're ok, I only really like the song Vide Nfra or w/e it is, because of it's lyrics.

chobbsy
10-28-2006, 01:05 PM
i love some of there songs, but what im wondering is whether howard uses a vocal modifier when live? it doesnt kwite sound natural and theres a lot of moving going on.... anyone know?

VoodooChilDD13
10-28-2006, 01:11 PM
eh i dunno it seems pretty natural he does move a lot but when he sings hes usually in his captain morgan stance or just chilling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmfWttvYq08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuNMhB4aKNU
i think right here he sounds a little off in the intro then he sounds fine so i think hes all natural. and stuff

i dunno though . :)

chobbsy
10-28-2006, 01:21 PM
i reckon first 1 sounds a little 'fake' seconds 1s pretty real i think though... maybe he uses them on tours to save his throata little or something? :S i dunno..... ahh well.

Rainmaker
10-31-2006, 03:12 AM
Well, like some of you I'm lucky enough to have heard the entire album, lets just say it didn't take me long to pre-order my copy or my tickets for their upcoming UK tour.
Incredible stuff. This band just gets better and better. Eye of the Storm, This Is Absolution, My Curse, Reject Yourself are all killer tracks. The whole album is incredible.

Confined Rage
10-31-2006, 06:29 PM
howard owns jesse at singing

metal_matt6
11-01-2006, 05:30 PM
howard owns jesse at singing

Yes he dose but he couldn't hold a candle to jesse when it comes to screming and souldn't that be was killswitch is all about? I mean all the singing is fine but its not why I fell inlove with killswitch (If jesse never left I bet they'd still be heavy as ****)

narmi
11-05-2006, 07:43 PM
Heard some of the new album, pretty good. Need to listen to it more though

StuartR
11-05-2006, 08:14 PM
If you think Howard is better at singing you need to listen to Seemless. Howard's singing is boring and monotonous.

jeff4slipknot
11-06-2006, 11:09 AM
killswitch engage are a sick band im going to see them play there new album (as daylight dies) in january at nottingham rock city :peace:

mh250nt
11-06-2006, 08:52 PM
I found this today. Its the video for "My Curse". I think its good, could of used more band footage though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arEm5CrBPsU

recoilofdarknes
11-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Get to see KsE TOMMOR!!!!!!!!!! Hell yeah in charlot, tremont, whos goen? I'll let y'all know how it goes, cant wait.................

JIPED
11-09-2006, 07:16 PM
Wish I could go so bad. Stupid Material Science test, no time to drive to Charlotte. Would love to see All That Remains too.

Preszombie
11-10-2006, 12:18 PM
yep, my ears still hert from last night( and my ribs and my forearms), got to shake Howard's hand, Mike D's hand and got a pick from mike, shook all of All that remains hands's, it was so great, howard jumped in the crowd and let everyone sing into the mik Adam was such a dumbass, but very funny. Rock on guys................J

mh250nt
11-10-2006, 05:00 PM
yep, my ears still hert from last night( and my ribs and my forearms), got to shake Howard's hand, Mike D's hand and got a pick from mike, shook all of All that remains hands's, it was so great, howard jumped in the crowd and let everyone sing into the mik Adam was such a dumbass, but very funny. Rock on guys................J

What was the setlist of them and All That Remains if you can remember?

StuartR
11-10-2006, 09:17 PM
ATR's is posted on their forum.

sickmyk
11-11-2006, 04:54 AM
I love their new album. One of the year's best album!!!!!

Havoc_
11-11-2006, 01:15 PM
Uhm i wan't to know, is howard the black singer?
And who's singing on the DVD?

JIPED
11-12-2006, 08:57 PM
Howard Jones is the singer, and yes he's black.

Haven't seen the DVD, but if it's not Jones it's probably Jesse Leach, the original singer.

CaptainOfSmug
11-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Okay so I'm pretty new to Killswitch Engage. What are some fun songs to play. The harder the better. Oh and ummm what is there official tuning. I've seen a few different ones.

StuartR
11-13-2006, 04:43 AM
First album: C or D standard, most likely D.

Everything after: Drop C

Songs: My Last Serenade, Fixation On The Darkness, Just Barely Breathing, To The Sons Of Man.

JIPED
11-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Rose of Sharyn is a fun one to play too. Not all that hard though I guess.

recoilofdarknes
11-13-2006, 02:32 PM
$et list for ATR, umm not sure i know they played a knew song though(they had a chick bass player and a diff. drumer), beside KsE thats when the crowd got the craziest, the DVD, Howard is singing the live stuff, and Jesse is on the old videos. they sound similar but howard has a warmer singing voice(if thats understandable), they played three knew song this "this fire burns"(not on album i think), "My curse," and "As daylight dies." Its so funny to see justin with no hair, but anyways, rock on guys

ps- the lead singer of "All that Remains," said they are holding try outs for a knew drumer, "if you think your good enough, put yourself on you tube." thought i'd pass the word.

StuartR
11-13-2006, 05:16 PM
knew?

ffs

JIPED
11-13-2006, 06:36 PM
This Fire Burns is from wwe: wreckless intent... think its a wrestling game?

Tyler17
11-13-2006, 08:35 PM
Great band and amazing music.....however i like better jesse's lyrics than howard's....both have great voices.

recoilofdarknes
11-14-2006, 10:36 AM
Great band and amazing music.....however i like better jesse's lyrics than howard's....both have great voices.
very true, like both of the lyric types

Quark Soup
11-14-2006, 10:38 PM
I got to see these guys last night in New Orleans. It was amazing. During My Last Serenade I got to sing in the mic with Howard. I got to talk to him after the show, great guy.

CaptainOfSmug
11-15-2006, 08:57 PM
What songs by these guys have solos in them besides Breathe life?

mr. riff
11-16-2006, 06:14 PM
The only other KsE song with a solo that I know of is their cover of "Holy Diver".

I got my KsE dogtag yesterday and the b-side song that came with it, "Be One", is f*cking hella good. Definitely one of my favorites from the new material. You have to preorder the album from certain stores though.

recoilofdarknes
11-17-2006, 02:17 PM
how many songs come with the b-side? i heard about that, but i guess i'll just wait till nov. 21, cant wait right around the conor. Hell yeah!

Mr.Goobles
11-25-2006, 10:08 PM
I think they're a very good band, saw them live and they put on a show. I think Howard is there best singer.

I like Howard alot better. With Jesse I thing they just sounded like every other metalcore band. Howard gives them a more uniqe sound.

Seth Shadows
12-14-2006, 11:39 AM
As Daylight Dies wasnt their best album O_O I like For You, My Curse and Eye Of The Storm.
But most of their songs sound the same. usually with a clean guitar appregio or a pickslide in the intro. Listen to the 5 opening seconds of "this fire Burns" "Eye Of The Storm" and "Break The Silence"

davidson22
12-24-2006, 08:43 PM
As Daylight Dies wasnt their best album O_O I like For You, My Curse and Eye Of The Storm.
But most of their songs sound the same. usually with a clean guitar appregio or a pickslide in the intro. Listen to the 5 opening seconds of "this fire Burns" "Eye Of The Storm" and "Break The Silence"

I think they stepped up in As Daylight Dies. The End of Heartache is still an amazing album but personally i like how the new songs, as far as guitar goes yea there are all very similar but all together the songs still sound great and thats all i care about:)

mr. riff
12-24-2006, 11:00 PM
If you think Howard is better at singing you need to listen to Seemless. Howard's singing is boring and monotonous.

Jesse sounds totally different in Seemless. I couldn't even recognize him by his voice. After I saw one of their videos I was convinced but his vocal styling has changed a lot from when he was in KsE. His "new" voice had to grow on me but now I think it is really good.

AudioInjctdSoul
12-25-2006, 03:27 AM
Jesse ****ing OWNS Howard. He put his entire heart and soul into the first two albums and Howard will never match his passion or intensity. Jesse's screaming was 10x better, his singing was much more distinguished and powerful, and his lyrics had all the meaning that Howard's DON'T. Compare the lyrics to "Temple from the Within" or "Vide Infra" to ANY Howard Jones-penned song and you will see what I'm saying. All he ****in writes about is relationships. There is more to life in that, and the bottom line is at the end of the show, CD, or whatever, I am not left with something to believe in when I listen to Killswitch Engage anymore. Great band, shitty singer. Self-titled and Alive or Just Breathing will never be matched.

mh250nt
12-25-2006, 06:50 AM
Jesse ****ing OWNS Howard. He put his entire heart and soul into the first two albums and Howard will never match his passion or intensity. Jesse's screaming was 10x better, his singing was much more distinguished and powerful, and his lyrics had all the meaning that Howard's DON'T. Compare the lyrics to "Temple from the Within" or "Vide Infra" to ANY Howard Jones-penned song and you will see what I'm saying. All he ****in writes about is relationships. There is more to life in that, and the bottom line is at the end of the show, CD, or whatever, I am not left with something to believe in when I listen to Killswitch Engage anymore. Great band, shitty singer. Self-titled and Alive or Just Breathing will never be matched.

I agree, Jesse was an amazing songwriter and vocalist. I think Howards best work is in Blood Has Been Shed. His vocals and songwriting in BHBS was so much better than his work in KSE. To me it seems like he toned it down a lot to fit in with KSE's style.

I almsot forgot, Jesse did write songs about relationships though, such as "Element of One".

melissa_
12-25-2006, 12:35 PM
I like their music.
I'm not too bothered on the genre they are put into.

AudioInjctdSoul
12-25-2006, 12:53 PM
Well sure..I think it's safe to say there's probably not a band out there who hasn't written a song about a relationship. But when every single song is about that, I have a problem. There is more to life than getting your heart broken. It's not that all the songs are bad, but NONE of them are great, and KsE seems to be on a mission to bring back the power ballad.

drugfreeboy
12-28-2006, 02:39 AM
to me alive or just breathing is THE album to end all albums in metal, hardcore, or metalcore. the lyrics alone put it beyond anything anyone in any genre has done in the last 10 years easily. i mean look at this vide infa lyric "I will stand up for who I am never moved
By condemnation no one is placed higher than another no matter race Or creed or gender we must teach forgiveness and compassion for all life Through understanding of our differences we will find respect for one Another we are all flesh and blood " show me something close to this. you can't not within the last 10 years. there hasn't been an album like this and hasn't been one(in my opinion) since. jesse thank you for one of THE most uplifting albums ever. and its a shame that noone outside of the underground will know about this album.

AudioInjctdSoul
12-28-2006, 03:08 AM
shut up, KsE is about as far from underground as heavy music gets.

drugfreeboy
12-28-2006, 03:56 PM
yeah NOW KsE is as far from the underground as heavy music gets but at the time that alive or just breathing came out it WAS in the underground. since jesse left and howard joined they have gotten alot more mainstream. but just beacause the end of heartache was embraced by mainstream metal doesn't mean that A.O.J.B has gotten the same treatment. ASS.

Gibson_SG_uzr55
12-29-2006, 06:37 PM
Hey everybody(i just got bitched at in the metal forum for posting about killswitch)
I know, I was talking about Slipknot, and got seriously flamed (what, it's all metal to me). I don't get their rules on the bands you can and can't discuss in their. I had to put my thread on the NWOAHM in here, and I'm getting flamed cause it's not considered hardcore.
On topic, I like Killswitch, I love their new song My Curse. All the NWOAHM music has impressed me, especially w/ their guitar work.

Annihilator666
01-03-2007, 04:34 PM
Slipknot would be nu-metal. But for KsE, like the new album and I think it's their best.

ragebass89
01-04-2007, 11:32 PM
I really have to argue that Jesse's vocals are more powerful. Howard is way better imo. I like his live versions of the songs from AOJB better than the album versions.

insideac
01-04-2007, 11:33 PM
lol FUnny story. Turns out, their old singer for the first two albums I think, goes to my church. I talk to him every week

metal_matt6
01-05-2007, 05:18 PM
lol FUnny story. Turns out, their old singer for the first two albums I think, goes to my church. I talk to him every week

tell him to kick the **** outta howard and then join back up with killswitch so they end all this emo bullshit

ctb
01-05-2007, 05:25 PM
KsE, to me, are the greatest Metalcore band ever :p: But as for the singers. Jesse is a better vocalist overall. Howard is great but I'd rather listen to Alive or Just Breathing.

ragebass89
01-06-2007, 03:29 AM
tell him to kick the **** outta howard and then join back up with killswitch so they end all this emo bullshit
How the **** do you say that they are emo? The lyrical style hasn't ****ing changed since Jesse left! So if they're emo now, then they were emo then too! I hate this ****ing argument about emo or not. ****!

StuartR
01-06-2007, 03:01 PM
You must be talking out your ass because any idiot can tell how much the lyrics have changed.

Joboffal
01-06-2007, 03:03 PM
i think the lyrics in 'as daylight dies'

have bin influenced more by political issues rather than hope and stuff like in previous albums

Seeing them in 5 Days! woo

unfathomable_bo
01-06-2007, 03:09 PM
I love KsE, pretty much all their work.

The more emotional/relationship style lyrics don't bother me at all because the music surrounding them is usually class.

I probably prefer Jones as a vocalist over Leach, Jesse was good but his really high pitched puke (lol) screeches ("From sorrow, to SERENITY!") kinda annoyed me, which is a shame because his singing voice is great.

dimebag7
01-12-2007, 11:05 PM

matt you are igorant. Killswitch is at all in no way emo. Just because there softer doesn;t make them emo. Just because his singing isn't heavy, its not emo.

SpiritThief
01-13-2007, 07:52 AM
matt you are igorant. Killswitch is at all in no way emo. Just because there softer doesn;t make them emo. Just because his singing isn't heavy, its not emo.

Yup I agree thats called REAL SKILL. I"m sorry but non-stop sceaming in my book isn't singing and it isn't skill.

OK now onto what I wanted to ask I've liked Killswitch for a while now but I've always only listened to my friends cds and stuff and I've like to know what Killswitch engage cd do you think would be best to get. Ok well whats their best ones like a top 3 pick or something. Got this christmas money burning a hole in my pocket:D

ragebass89
01-13-2007, 08:33 AM
They only have 3, get em all. I seriously can't pick, even though I'd say The End of Heartache is the best, it isn't by much.

goth clash
01-13-2007, 10:25 AM
Is anyone going to KSE today? Cause if so I have bad news for you guys....Apparantly Adam D has a serious back injury and its rescheduled till the 29th

RX Queen
01-13-2007, 10:29 AM
Is anyone going to KSE today? Cause if so I have bad news for you guys....Apparantly Adam D has a serious back injury and its rescheduled till the 29th

I heard about that... I met Adam, Justin and Mike on Thursday at the Manchester show. I got my picture with them all and when I got one with Adam I noticed how he had to like bend down for everyone coz he's so tall. I mentioned it to him and jokingly he said "Haha yeah, that's why I have all these back problems!"

But when I read about him injuring himself again it made me think...maybe he wasn't kidding when he said that to me :confused:

StuartR
01-13-2007, 11:46 AM
Last time I saw them he wasn't on that tour so I'm sure they can cope.

mike130
01-13-2007, 05:26 PM
As Daylight Dies is their best by far IMO. TEOH and AOJB are very, very good but ADD is mind-blowing.

antoniobanderas
01-14-2007, 01:18 AM
all i know is my curse is so overplayed that i cant stand kse
or singers that are black

he sounds like barry white on the courus

ragebass89
01-14-2007, 02:32 AM
all i know is my curse is so overplayed that i cant stand kse
or singers that are black

he sounds like barry white on the courus
I wish I got a ****ing radio station that played My Curse! By the way, what's with the ****ing racism you prick?!

BR00TAL
01-14-2007, 05:38 PM
I can't believe Id only heard Numbered Days until yesterday. What a great song.

RX Queen
01-14-2007, 05:53 PM
I can't believe Id only heard Numbered Days until yesterday. What a great song.

I can't believe they didn't fucking play it live :mad:

Awesome show on Thursday though. I feel bad for the fans who were supposed to be going to the London and Bristol shows. I feel worse for Adam though.

Joboffal
01-14-2007, 05:58 PM
i saw them on thursday aswell.....

i fainted :/ it was dead hot in there

and i can't believe they didnt play element of one, love that song

adam d and his cowbell tho, funny stuff lol

CapnKickass
01-15-2007, 10:29 PM
I first heard a few killswitch engage songs on the radio, then I downloaded a few from the end of heartache, and now I have As Daylight Dies, all good stuff. And I now know how to play most of Hope Is. :)

PiratexZombie
01-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Thier new cd is pretty bad arse. They need to get some solos in there though. If Shadows Fall can do it then so can they.

schecter-rules
01-21-2007, 02:49 PM
Thier new cd is pretty bad arse. They need to get some solos in there though. If Shadows Fall can do it then so can they.

Killswitch doesn't need solos, thats not what they are about. Its all about heavy f*****g riffs and huge vocals. I'm not sure i would like them as much if they solos, but what they do need are more pinched harmonics on the new cd like they play in their concerts.

Is anyone going to any of the upcoming shows with dragon force? That will be kick ass!!!!

recoilofdarknes
01-22-2007, 09:47 AM
KsE is freaken awsome, to bad to hear about Adam, hope they come back around my part so i can see them again

monkey of doom
01-22-2007, 10:05 AM
I love KsE, pretty much all their work.

The more emotional/relationship style lyrics don't bother me at all because the music surrounding them is usually class.

I probably prefer Jones as a vocalist over Leach, Jesse was good but his really high pitched puke (lol) screeches ("From sorrow, to SERENITY!") kinda annoyed me, which is a shame because his singing voice is great.

Its pretty refreshing to see someone else from the metal forum posting in this thread.

Haven't heard much of the Leach era but I can say that Howard Jones is absolutely fantastic. His voice is frickin' huge. I think its pretty good that they don't do solos as well.

I'm kinda new to this band, initially dismissing them but now I'm getting into their stuff. I have the two recent albums (ADD and TEOH). What other albums should I think about getting?

PiratexZombie
01-22-2007, 10:12 AM
Its pretty refreshing to see someone else from the metal forum posting in this thread.

Haven't heard much of the Leach era but I can say that Howard Jones is absolutely fantastic. His voice is frickin' huge. I think its pretty good that they don't do solos as well.

I'm kinda new to this band, initially dismissing them but now I'm getting into their stuff. I have the two recent albums (ADD and TEOH). What other albums should I think about getting?

well Jesse had a pretty good voice so how about their cd alive or just breathing
then some other good bands to try would be Shadows Fall, In Flames, and Trivium

monkey of doom
01-22-2007, 10:54 AM
well Jesse had a pretty good voice so how about their cd alive or just breathing
then some other good bands to try would be Shadows Fall, In Flames, and Trivium

I'll take that recommendation. I'm not too keen on Shadows fall though. Cheers dude.

mike130
01-22-2007, 11:57 PM
Their old stuff is great, better than TEOH but nowhere near the absolute genious (IMO) of ADD. Leach isn't as good a screamer as Jones, though.

I second Trivium and IF, but stick to FEtI and Ascendancy (Trivium), their new stuff (The Crusade) is trashy and outright horrible IMO. In Flames' new stuff might be easier to get into, but I prefer the older stuff better (start with Come Clarity, a great album, if not pure melodeath).

Try Unearth, As I Lay Dying, God Forbid, All That Remains, Still Remains.

Also check out the melodic death section in the metal rec. thread (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=474076) , not metalcore but the genre that influenced it (In Flames is melodeath).

HawkaLuigi
01-23-2007, 03:21 PM
I'm going to their show with Dragonforce in Atlanta with my band.

It's gonna be awesome :D

schecter-rules
01-23-2007, 11:11 PM
I'm going to their show with Dragonforce in Atlanta with my band.

It's gonna be awesome :D

I'm going to the last show of the tour in chicago on april 8th, Its going to be kick ass!!!!

ragebass89
01-23-2007, 11:36 PM
I'm going to the last show of the tour in chicago on april 8th, Its going to be kick ass!!!!
I'll be there too man! Easter Sunday Metal!

hatebreed219
01-23-2007, 11:47 PM
In The Unblind is sick, that song=sex, all of their old stuff is rad. TEOH is a little lame, and I haven't heard the new album.

schecter-rules
01-24-2007, 12:26 PM
I'll be there too man! Easter Sunday Metal!

have you ever seen them before?

PiratexZombie
01-24-2007, 01:31 PM
does any one know if they are coming to DC or Virginia?

HawkaLuigi
01-24-2007, 03:30 PM
does any one know if they are coming to DC or Virginia?

DC - March 2, 3 @ 9:30 Club

I got it out of a magazine with their "No Fear" Tour ad.

ragebass89
01-24-2007, 09:04 PM
have you ever seen them before?
Only whats on the dvd. That's why I want to see them so bad. Anyway, Killswitch and Roadrunner list the tour as having two Chicago dates. The House of Blues website only lists the eighth. Are they playing 2 shows in Chicago or not?

metalmaster362
01-24-2007, 10:14 PM
is it just me or does its the unblind sound like a riff in flames would write

schecter-rules
01-25-2007, 12:29 AM
Only whats on the dvd. That's why I want to see them so bad. Anyway, Killswitch and Roadrunner list the tour as having two Chicago dates. The House of Blues website only lists the eighth. Are they playing 2 shows in Chicago or not?

they are, I saw tickets on ticketmaster for the saturday show, but thought it would be fun to go to the last show. I haven't seen them either, except for the dvd. I'm so pumped to see Adam D.

ragebass89
01-25-2007, 07:56 AM
Yeah, its going to be amazing.

schecter-rules
02-11-2007, 02:17 AM
does anyone know if adam D's back injury will affect the U.S tour!?????

schecter-rules
02-16-2007, 05:13 PM
still wondering if anyone has heard anything if Adam D's back injury will affect the U.S tour?

Dime_forever08
03-08-2007, 04:57 PM
I Just got bitched at for posting about them in the metal forum. But im going to see KSE tonight! I cant wait!

las7
03-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Rules are rules, despite personal opinions. (Look at my sig)

Hope you have a great time tonight

Metallica_Šuke
03-09-2007, 12:25 AM
It's a matter of opinion between Howard and Jesse. I like Jesse's screaming ALOT better, but Howard has better cleans. I do think Howard fits The End of Heartache album much better than Jesse would have.

i agree that Howard is a better singer but Jesse knew what to sing about. if you look at almost all of the songs Howard has written, they're all about love and heartache and all this depressing sh*t. I liked Killswitch back when they wrote songs like Numbered Days, and Fixation On The Darkness. Still, i love their guitar riffs, and those alone gain my respect for this band. ROCK ON KsE!!

sparky303
03-09-2007, 04:41 PM
although metalcore is a debateable topic into what is considered "metal" metalcore is def a genre of metal, no doubt. Indeed it has hardcore influences, but folkmetal has folk influences doesnt make it not metal. And the best sight to find out what is and isn't metal, is metal-archives, if its not on their then it isnt metal!

i am the robots
03-09-2007, 04:57 PM
Indeed. And as for KSE, their first two albums were arguably metalcore, but in all honesty, The End Of Heartache is just metal, and Daylight Dies is just gay.

Also, the Jesse vs. Howard argument. When Jesse was in KSE, he wasn't as well trained as Howard was when he joined KSE, however, his voice is naturally more powerful/better sounding than Howards, and it really shows now that he's gotten proper training. Just listen to the song on The End Of Heartache, Take This Oath, the high screams in the background of Howard's mid-range stuff are Jesse, and the clean singing in the chorus is Jesse, as well as that "break free" part. Also, listen to his stoner rock band Seemless, his vocals are amazing in that.

IbaneZ rg
03-09-2007, 05:25 PM
hay peeps im new to this but i saw peeps talkin bout killswitch and i think the f*****g rock first time i herd them i luved em and now carnt stop lisnin to them

p.s new album kicks ass

i am the robots
03-09-2007, 05:31 PM
Ugh.

Dime_forever08
03-09-2007, 07:14 PM
And just for the person who asked about Adams back injury. I saw them last night and they said he just had surgery and hes doing really well. But i almost crapped cause they had the singer for Damageplan on the other guitar in place of Adam.

schecter-rules
03-10-2007, 04:04 AM

yes, this thread has been happening.

ceXhc
03-10-2007, 04:11 AM
Hey everybody(i just got bitched at in the metal forum for posting about killswitch) i just wanted to start a tthrad and talk about this amazing band. I find them more intersed then most metal bands. Lets talk.

PS-Im having a hard time telling the differnet between hardcore, metalcore, and metal. whats the different?

If it sounds like heavy Punk then it's Hardcore. If it sounds like extremely heavy Metal, then it's Extreme Metal (Killswitch Engage falls into this category). Screaming has nothing to do with it. There's Hardcore vocalists who yell, scream, clean sing, rap, etc. And the same goes for Metal vocalists. What defines the genre is the music itself.

As far as "Metalcore"... it's never really been a distinct genre. The bands labled Metalcore have always technically been Metal (in the early days: Life of Agony, Biohazard... now-a-days: Atreyu, Trivium, Unearth). Metalcore bands tend to share elements that are popular in Hardcore (such as breakdowns and gang vocals), but those elements are not distinctly Hardcore; only associated with it.

m3tz
03-12-2007, 06:38 PM
Just got my hands on the new album.. it's pretty good.
I really like my curse, although my mate just pointed out that the start sounds just like the Lostprophets song "for sure" haha.

mike130
03-15-2007, 12:40 AM
I'm going to L.A. (live in Mexico) this weekend, KsE is playing on saturday.

IT'S SOLD OUT!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!! FUUUUUCCKK!!!!!!

I will do anything to get a ticket to their Hollywood House of Blues concert. Do you guys know any reasonable (no sneaking in, stealing, murdering, etc.) way to get in there? I will seriously pay $100 for that $23 ticket to get in.

stewie123
06-01-2007, 09:32 PM
First album: C or D standard, most likely D.

Everything after: Drop C

Songs: My Last Serenade, Fixation On The Darkness, Just Barely Breathing, To The Sons Of Man.

Also: My Curse, Daylight Dies, Reject Yourself...at least I like to play those.

ragebass89
06-01-2007, 09:55 PM
Its all drop c.

metalmaster362
06-02-2007, 12:27 AM
nope, first album is D standerd

HardAsButter
06-02-2007, 01:09 PM
i love the new album. GOD it's great!!! Howard was the best thing for them when jesse left so abruptly. But i get where jesse was coming from when he left. i think he could have addressed it in a better way though.

sgmetalhead
06-02-2007, 07:19 PM
this is the only band with a cool name that turns out to be really bad that I can think of.

gigson111
06-05-2007, 09:18 PM
Kse is the best band ever. I think their new album is the best, as daylight, and i think that howard did a great job screaming in it. The only thing i dislike about them is that adam being and idiot hurts himself wenever he shouldnt. Hes the best though!

forever_abandon
06-06-2007, 05:04 PM
Lyrically, I think Jesse's much better with his lyrics, notice how i'm not saying Jesse's a better vocalist, personally I think Howard is, but you know just lyrically Jesse was much better in my opinion.

the1
06-06-2007, 05:43 PM
I love Alive Or Just Breathing, but the next two albums were too much like standard predictable metalcore for me. Predictable chord changes. However, Howard is an amzing singer.

Scourge441
06-06-2007, 09:34 PM
I have As Daylight Dies, and it's a really good album. It's generic metalcore, but they somehow make it sound not very generic. Still not as good as the self-titled or Alive or Just Breathing, but really good. Desperate Times, Still Beats Your Name, This Is Absolution, and the title track are killer songs.

Exsuratientoel
10-27-2007, 02:54 PM
I'm loving As Daylight Dies, it's got some interesting stuff on it. My favourite teacks are Daylight Dies, Let The Bridges Burn, This Fire Burns & Reject Yourself. I still think pre-end of heartache albums were best though.

Thebiz
10-27-2007, 04:27 PM
I have both As Daylight Dies and Alive Or Just Breathing, and I prefer ADD to AOJB. They're both great albums, though.

I like how Killswitch Engage is one of the few Metalcore bands that can successfully pull of love songs well without sounding too overly emo, as well.

rose_of_sharyn
10-27-2007, 04:29 PM
ADD is the best album, not a great fan of AOJB but its still a pretty tight album

neilinflames09
10-28-2007, 01:18 AM
The only metalcore band that I like that much. :peace:

Say Ocean
10-30-2007, 08:40 PM
They bore the **** out of me now.

recklessnick
10-30-2007, 11:54 PM
howard>jesse

likeomgtehtuck!
10-31-2007, 03:00 PM
You're dumb.

Wajon
11-08-2007, 11:41 AM
Why is everyone arguing about who's the better vocalist?
They both brought in their own styles. I liked Jesse's screaming and quick vocal changes but in a different way I also like Howards more level, melodic voice and songs..

Frenzied
11-08-2007, 11:45 AM
You're dumb.
You're close-minded.

loxer
11-08-2007, 12:35 PM
howard>jesse

No.

Yngwi3
11-08-2007, 12:56 PM
I personally prefer Howard, as I think he can do all Jesse did and more- Howard's voice when he sings is just...immense.
I can see why people prefer Jesse however, but I also think Howard puts on a better show live.
Can't wait for a new album :D

Thebiz
11-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Haha I love the 5-year-old quality arguments going on in this thread...

But seriously Jesse and Howard shouldn't be compared too thoroughly, their styles of vocals aren't as similar as some would think. Jesse's voice is more gritty and raw, while Howard's is more melodic and powerful.

likeomgtehtuck!
11-08-2007, 03:14 PM
You're close-minded.

I only said that because it's retarted when people compare the two vocalists.

Frenzied
11-08-2007, 03:41 PM
I only said that because it's retarted when people compare the two vocalists.
Fair enough. My apologies.

likeomgtehtuck!
11-09-2007, 02:36 PM
Haha it's cool :cheers:

bartdevil_metal
04-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Hey guys, my first time in metalcore. I don't usually foray into heavier styles than groove metal, but I have a request. Could someone tell me some decent killswitch riffs that are NOT drop tuned? I have a floyd rose and I can't drop tune.

If anyone's interested it's because I need to record a metalcore sample with my valveking and killswitch is the only metalcore band I really listen to.

Dendretic
04-25-2008, 07:18 PM
to be honest, the only song i like by them is my curse which is enough to like the whole band XD

Thebiz
04-26-2008, 03:09 AM
to be honest, the only song i like by them is my curse which is enough to like the whole band XD

Give Rose Of Sharyn, Fixation On The Darkness, and My Last Serenade a try. They will grow on you. :p: