Trying to record through computer. Need some help!

PDA

View Full Version : Trying to record through computer. Need some help!

oreosnbooze
01-30-2006, 10:12 PM
So I bought this mono 1/4" female to 1/8" male jack and I'm using that to plug my RP80 pedal into my computer. It's plugged into the LINE IN, and my guitar is in the RP80..

So it's like this.

Guitar ---1/4" cable---> RP 80 --1/4" to 1/8" adapter----> LINE in

The only problem is.. the sound is very, and I'll emphasize, VERY quiet.

Even at full recording volume, it comes nowhere close to what is necessary. At normal music listening volume, you can only barely hear the sound.

I'm not music expert, and I wonder if this is happening because the adapter I bought was mono and not stereo?

big crouton
01-30-2006, 10:37 PM
hmmm... that's no good.

is it working fine on your amp?

If so, make sure that you're coming out of your Left/Mono output from the RP80. Make sure your connections are all tight.

What program are you using to record?

Beaky886
01-30-2006, 11:27 PM
You could try running it through your amp too. Maybe you arn't doing that because your amp isn't in the same room as your computer.

oreosnbooze
01-31-2006, 06:23 AM
It's working fine on the amp... So you're saying I should run it through the guitar, to the amp, out the headphone jack and to the computer?

big crouton
01-31-2006, 02:03 PM
It's working fine on the amp... So you're saying I should run it through the guitar, to the amp, out the headphone jack and to the computer?
That's an option, though I doubt that it would work any better.

It sounds like your problem lies either within the adaptor, the computer line in, or just your settings on your computer. It shouldn't be a problem with the adaptor, because as far as I know, you just got that brand new. I've never heard of a problem with someone's line in on a computer, though I wouldn't completely rule that out.

So, it's probably a setting on your computer. If you have a volume icon down by your clock on the taskbar, double click that. If you don't, go Control Panel -> Sounds And Audio Devices. Under the Volume tab, and under the section of 'Device Volume' click the Advanced tab.

Now click options at the top left and select Properties. Select 'Recording' and make sure that your line in is checked. Click OK. There should be a fader for your line in, and under it should be a check box. Make sure that the check box is selected and that the volume is up. This should hopefully fix the problem. If not, try plugging into your computers microphone jack and then go through the process described earlier, but select the microphone checkbox.

oreosnbooze
01-31-2006, 02:38 PM
big crouton-

I use a volume controller that came with my soundcard (Audigy Soundblaster2) and, I'm almost positive, it controls the same thing as the volume control in Control Panel.

The volume is fine when I plug the adapter into the mic slot, but the problem is the quality makes playing like this not even worth it.

I was thinking of going out and buying a new stereo adapter instead of the mono one I'm currently using.

big crouton
01-31-2006, 03:35 PM
I don't know how much of a difference that would make (which isn't to say that it wouldn't make a difference. I just really don't know what effect that would have) but you might as well try it out and hope for the best. I hope it works out for you.

Legend88
01-31-2006, 03:42 PM
I am having the same problem and have a mono adapter also....but I get absolutly no sound. I had another mic so I know my PC input works.....It just has me baffled.

Legend88
01-31-2006, 04:18 PM
well I cranked my computer volume full and I can hear a LITTLE sound when I hook up a mic. I guess im on the same page as oreosnbooze...

big crouton
01-31-2006, 04:41 PM
well I cranked my computer volume full and I can hear a LITTLE sound when I hook up a mic. I guess im on the same page as oreosnbooze...
Did you try this:

So, it's probably a setting on your computer. If you have a volume icon down by your clock on the taskbar, double click that. If you don't, go Control Panel -> Sounds And Audio Devices. Under the Volume tab, and under the section of 'Device Volume' click the Advanced tab.

Now click options at the top left and select Properties. Select 'Recording' and make sure that your line in is checked. Click OK. There should be a fader for your line in, and under it should be a check box. Make sure that the check box is selected and that the volume is up. This should hopefully fix the problem. If not, try plugging into your computers microphone jack and then go through the process described earlier, but select the microphone checkbox.
?

Legend88
01-31-2006, 10:39 PM
I tried that earlier, along with some other slightly advanced stuff, so I doubt it is a computer setting. I am pretty much willing to give anything a shot though, since I have already put money in for a cheap mic and adapter :)

big crouton
01-31-2006, 10:57 PM
I tried that earlier, along with some other slightly advanced stuff, so I doubt it is a computer setting. I am pretty much willing to give anything a shot though, since I have already put money in for a cheap mic and adapter :)
Just thought I'd mention it because you never know how computer savvy people are around here.

So, what exactly is your setup? Are you going from an effects pedal to a mic'd amp, where the mic is plugged into a computer? Are you going from an effects pedal straight into your computer? What's the scoop?

That_Pink_Queen
01-31-2006, 11:20 PM
AHHHHH

YOU IDIOTS!

You need to amp up the signal before sending it to the computer. Plug your guitar into your amp, thent he amp into the line in. The line in will not amplify it.

big crouton
01-31-2006, 11:36 PM
AHHHHH

YOU IDIOTS!

You need to amp up the signal before sending it to the computer. Plug your guitar into your amp, thent he amp into the line in. The line in will not amplify it.
That's probably the problem, but I had a GNX4 which I plugged directly into the line in on my computer, and I always got plenty of volume. Perhaps the GNX4 has a different kind of output though. I just assumed that because both are Digitech that they would work the same.