the Runaways

PDA

View Full Version : the Runaways

waterproofpie
02-01-2006, 07:00 PM
have been one of my favorites lately
and I figured I haven't been on here much
and it's time for a thread that didn't suck/involved streetlight manifesto.

discuss.

pistols
02-01-2006, 07:36 PM
I've only heard cherry bomb, and that was great, can you recomend an album for me?

While we're on it, whas it the slits, the runaways or both that malcolm mclaren had the idea of signing and turning into the female sex pistols?

johnnynemo
02-02-2006, 11:35 AM
Big ups to waterproofpie for making a Runaways thread (and 5,000 punk points for insulting Streetlight Manifesto).

Malcolm wanted to sign the Slits, as the Runaways were living about 6,000 miles away and were under the thrall of their own svengali, namely Mr. Kim Fowley.

In Ari Up's words l'People told us we couldn't play music. Malcolm McLaren wanted us to be the female Sex Pistols. He even told us to change our bass, but the bass is what made the Slits!'

Cool Runaways video:
http://www.youtube.com/w/%5Bmusic-video%5D-The-Runaways---Wasted?v=m5sh60mB9y0&search=Runaways

skiracer271
02-02-2006, 01:17 PM
I havent heard much, but the song school days is really ****ing good.

johnnynemo
02-02-2006, 05:00 PM
Interesting Runaways factoid:

The Runaways covered the Sex Pistols song "Black Leather" on their album 'And Now....The Runaways".
After the Runaways broke up, in 1979, Joan Jett went to England and tried to get her solo project going. While there, she did three songs, one of which was her cover of The Arrows 1975 song "I Love Rock And Roll", with Paul Cook and Steve Jones of The Sex Pistols.

Three years later, she re-recorded it and it went to #1 and stayed there for 7 weeks.

waterproofpie
02-02-2006, 06:16 PM
I heard that version with Steve Jones on it,
atleast that is what the mp3 was labelled. When I read it, I didn't know they actually DID collaborate so I was a bit sketched out.

And to Nemo--thank you for being one of the few non-lame people on this site who likes good music that like to post in threads I make!

johnnynemo
02-02-2006, 07:05 PM
I'm just glad that there are people your age who listen to great bands, like the Runaways.

Most of the people my age have either heard it and "moved on" or were too busy listening to Madonna and Debbie Gibson at that crucial age, to be interested.

It used to bother me that punk, which was MUCH more open to people of different races and genders, than metal, or any other types of music, was largely white and male, when I first got into it.
An example was that there were three girls who very involved in the scene when I first started listening to punk; 2 owned a store and 1 put on shows.

Barring them, it was just a bunch of guys beating on each other.
The only girls I saw at shows, had been dragged there by their boyfriends.

I used to look at the pics of Sue Catwoman, Siouxsie, Jordan from the Ants, Shanne from the Nips, Poly Styrene, Penelope Houston, et al and say "There used to be alot of women involved in punk, what happened?"

And then I'd look at the guys beating each other up and realize why they left.

Then the riot grrl thing happened for awhile in the 90s, and womyn were taking it back again.
I was elated, but it became sort of a "womyn only" thing, so it didn't really feel a part of it.

Now, with re-emergence of punk, I expected to see ALOT more girls fronting punk bands, doing zines, etc.
Some have and have done a great job, such as Brijette West, from the NY Loose, but I still hope to see more punk girls burning pictures of Avril LaVigne.

waterproofpie
02-02-2006, 07:55 PM
I always see girls at shows here but whenever I talk to guys at them they're suprised. I've been told, "girls still listen to punk? good job", "wow, a girl at a show who doesn't listen to emo", and my favorite "oh I didn't know you liked the music, I thought you were here with a boyfriend or something".

Haha, I guess thats the price you pay for wearing blank t-shirts and jeans.

misfitsdisciple
02-02-2006, 07:58 PM
this band sounds really great.

as to what nemo said, i would have to agree that the punk genre is somewhat devoid of the female persuasion. i wouldnt know to what degree though, i've only been into it for a couple years. and every single girl i've seen at shows was an emo or hardcore. and every girl i've dated has their own opinions on music. but its probably because i havent really gotten farther than 2 towns that play shows.

pistols
02-02-2006, 09:15 PM
^True what you said nemo. I've never met a girl that liked punk rock in my life.

By the way, i see you mentioned the nips. You know of any good albums, even though its not likely I'll be able to find one?

Mach_Baron
02-02-2006, 10:18 PM
damn---i'm old.

whyvern
02-02-2006, 11:00 PM
On the subject of womyn in punk rock.

I spelt the word like that as a joke... get over it!

Anyways, I've noticed that the punk scene has no problem attracting girls to shows and getting them interested in DIY stuff... the problem is we still have gender divisions in our communities. In Alabama it's really bad. Girls never dance because it's too violent or they subconciously think that punk rock dancing is supposed to be for guys only. I disagree, but I'd rather the kids here work it out on their own than have someone like Requiem come to town and tell us how to run things just because it worked for them.

johnnynemo
02-03-2006, 10:20 AM
^True what you said nemo. I've never met a girl that liked punk rock in my life.

By the way, i see you mentioned the nips. You know of any good albums, even though its not likely I'll be able to find one?

Most of the girls that I met, who were into punk, got into punk via having dated a punk rocker.
Nothing wrong with that, as I had friends who got me into punk bands, and such.

Punk just seemed marketed towards boys, with the violent imagery, black clothing, etc.
Lots of little boys ran around dressed in army gear, screaming at each other, while playing war.
It's a small step from that to being in a hardcore band and screaming a song like AF's "Eliminator".

It's also a small step from yelling "audibles" at the football game, to yelling straight edge lyrics at the hardcore show.
Plus, you can wear you sweat pants and sneakers at both, so that's a plus.
(Sorry, but couldn't miss an opportunity to make fun of jocks).

It is a large step for a girl to go from what is expected of her by society, i.e. the whole dressed in pink, sugar and spice and everything nice, stereotype to coloured hair, black clothing and spikes.
I've mentioned this before, but I know several girls who were sent to mental hospitals for changing so radically, as their parents were freaked out and couldn't handle it.

I just thought that after The Donnas, Avril Lavigne, Kelly Osbourne, etc., there would be more girls getting into punk, entirely on their own, since it's more "accepted" now.

Like Shanne of the Nips.
Speaking of which......

http://gullbuy.com/buy/2003/5_20/nips.cfm

QueenOfNoise
02-10-2006, 07:49 PM
I love the Runaways! Cherry Bomb, indeed is a good song. It was actually a song they made with Kim Fowley (manager) in a couple of minutes (Thats why its mostly repetitive). They made it quick so Cherie Currie could audition to it. Obviously she made the cut. Their music sounds even better on vinyl LP then on CD. The members of the band always consisted of Sandy West, Joan Jett, and Lita Ford; but they went through bass players like toilet paper...vicki blue, jackie fox, etc. Cherie Currie was in as vocals, then just out.

travel sized
02-10-2006, 08:12 PM
I haven't heard a lot of their stuff, but I've heard the odd song here and there and they're quite good. Plus I enjoy some of Joan Jett's solo material. I'm pretty sure Joan Jett and the Blackhearts are playing at the Warped Tour this year. Anyone else heard this? I read it on Warped Tour's site, so I'd assume it's probably true. Unless I misread everything...

waterproofpie
03-17-2006, 09:15 PM
Sorry for the major bumpage but..

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=56967442

I just heard about this. I'm pretty pumped. I didn't know too much about the history of the Runaways so much as their music, so this'd be interesting

(I didn't know they were 16 when they started!?)

Ampeg J
04-10-2006, 11:28 PM
They have an official site.

http://www.therunaways.com/

They have so many songs that i like that i could pretty much list their entire catalogue.

My current faves are"Take it or leave it" ( Queens of Noise LP ), "Wasted" ( Waitin' for the Night LP ), "C'mon" ( Live in Japan LP ), and "Midnight Music" ( Debute LP ).

texas78621
04-11-2006, 01:53 AM
Have you seen Edgeplay? Great documentary on the Runaways.

Johnny, I'm proud to say that I got into punk all on my lonesome (no boy needed) :) And I also didn't need any guy to make room for me to slamdance, I just jumped on in there... what a blast that was!

ScummerVacation
04-11-2006, 02:39 AM
Born... to be bad.

waterproofpie
04-11-2006, 09:59 PM

Check out my last post in this thread

whyvern
04-12-2006, 06:01 PM
They have an official site.

http://www.therunaways.com/

They have so many songs that i like that i could pretty much list their entire catalogue.

My current faves are"Take it or leave it" ( Queens of Noise LP ), "Wasted" ( Waitin' for the Night LP ), "C'mon" ( Live in Japan LP ), and "Midnight Music" ( Debute LP ).

holy ****, we're from the same state... I probably know you.

Ampeg J
04-29-2006, 02:13 PM

It was excellent!

A shame that Joan was not in it, as perhaps THE principle songwriter of the band, her input was sorely missed.

I wish they would have a reunion. Even if it were just for a short period of time, and with a few limited tour dates.

Video tape it, package it, sell it, and I'm buying!

Ampeg J
04-29-2006, 02:14 PM
Indeed :)

Same city for that matter ;)

whyvern
04-29-2006, 04:26 PM
are you in school?

nosedivekarma
04-30-2006, 08:33 PM
The Runaways? Total ****ing geniuses, full stop.

Ampeg J
05-07-2006, 02:01 PM
are you in school?

Nope, i have had to join the machine, and become a cog in the wheel.

( I work for a living :P )

Ampeg J
05-07-2006, 02:01 PM
The Runaways? Total ****ing geniuses, full stop.

*Testify* :peace:

the glue man
05-07-2006, 02:22 PM
I see tons of girls in the scene here. My best friend is a girl and listens crust.. which I'm not very fond of, but yeah. There's also a bunch of Mexicans (including me), but I still mostly see white males and females. Not much of anything else though, I still wanna see an all Asian band.

And for the Runaways, me gusta. :)

Prince
05-07-2006, 02:23 PM
http://www.myspace.com/eskapo
asiancore ladies and gentlemen

whyvern
05-07-2006, 09:08 PM
and a damn good band at that.

I wish I got to see them live.

Ampeg J
05-16-2006, 08:14 PM
and a damn good band at that.

I wish I got to see them live.

You can always get a copy of the "Live in Japan" Video.

It was what i had to do to satisfy my craving for live Runaways rock n Roll.

The sound quality is not the best, but it is SO worth the effort to find a copy if you are a true fan!