Boston

PDA

View Full Version : Boston

Stop Messin'
02-02-2006, 03:51 PM
Here's an amazing band nobody talks about anymore. Songs like Smokin'(one of the first pain in the ass guitar riffs i ever learned) Foreplay/Long Time, Party, Cool The Engines, Higher Power. Not to mention some crazy album covers. Tom Scholz is a great guitarist that nobody ever mentions and seems to have forgotten about. He has a great tone that you can pick out right away.

MetzBlaze
02-02-2006, 04:00 PM
Boston is f***in' incredible! Just an awesome band.

SuburbanCowboy
02-02-2006, 04:22 PM
I would like to hear more from them. What would be a good album to start with... greatest hits or something else?

Baba O'Riley
02-02-2006, 04:44 PM
^I'd say start with Self-Titled.

Yeah Boston were a good band. Tom Scholz is underrated. He pioneered such a great guitar sound.

BrainDamage
02-02-2006, 05:01 PM
^^I like their self-titled a lot :)

But that's all I've heard.

MetzBlaze
02-02-2006, 05:59 PM
Their self title was their only Incredibly popular album. The second one tanked. Listening to Forplay/Long Time Is so awesome to listen to on vinyl with overhead speakers.

terrencemaddox
02-02-2006, 06:02 PM
great songs, great melodies, ripping guitar sounds

KingBrendan5149
02-02-2006, 06:06 PM
i like them

ZoSoII_13
02-02-2006, 06:19 PM
I love early Boston, however, fairly quickly after the first album, they started using synthetic drums, and the sound became too processed. Overall I'd say, great band.

TheHeartbreaker
02-02-2006, 06:47 PM
Their first two albums are... absolutely mindblowing; Tom Scholtz is a genius. Just as ZoSo said before me, early Boston was much better than later Boston. I love how you described their sound as becoming "too processed", which is definetly a good way to put it. Scholtz, being an MIT graduate (atleast, I believe he graduated), was a smart ass guy and like most smart ass guys probably was into more computerized stuff and thus this was why things came out as more "processed".

However, I feel that this band, despite their few good albums, is one of the greatest bands to come out of America EVER. Probably not the best when you look at bands such as The Allman Brothers, Grateful Dead, Creedence Clearwater Revival, etc., but they were definetly meaningful in creating some of rock's "anthems" such as More Than A Feeling, which I thank Scholtz for writing every day because it's just so perfect.

A way I can really relate to this band is that their music is perfect. Like, even though I'm not a huge fan of their later stuff, just listen to how good it sounds musically. I myself am a perfectionist when it comes to writing stuff, where everything must flow well and sound good, despite how difficult it is or is not to play. I mean, five years is how long More Than A Feeling took to write and record to the finalized version and (I believe) the first album took seven years of devotion before it was released.

get-born
02-02-2006, 07:09 PM
i love boston

Stop Messin'
02-02-2006, 08:15 PM
I love early Boston, however, fairly quickly after the first album, they started using synthetic drums, and the sound became too processed. Overall I'd say, great band.

The drums on the Star Spangled Banner was the only thing i didn't like, it sounded to plastic and clinky. But overall it was a great song.

jusp75
02-02-2006, 09:47 PM
I have all the boston albums.

Tom sholtz is a genius

Canadiens1160
02-03-2006, 07:31 AM
Here's an amazing band nobody talks about anymore. Songs like Smokin'(one of the first pain in the ass guitar riffs i ever learned) Foreplay/Long Time, Party, Cool The Engines, Higher Power. Not to mention some crazy album covers. Tom Scholz is a great guitarist that nobody ever mentions and seems to have forgotten about. He has a great tone that you can pick out right away.Honestly the songs you listed are just about all that is worth diving into. I loved Boston when I first heard them, but have grown pretty tired of em. Very cheesy sound now that I have been exposed to a lot of classic rock from a broad variety of bands.

I appreciate the musicianship, but the meshing of different, disparate elements is what makes rock and roll, and I can only listen to so many perfectly produced songs before forcing myself to vomit.

Also, props to T.S. for basically composing the first album entirely on his own. Kind of funny and slightly lame though when you find out the first album was basically one guy and he had to go out and form a 'real' band to play it live when the record hit the charts.

Pl3h-B0y
02-03-2006, 11:30 AM
I like boston
one of their best songs, I have to say, is Rock n' Roll Band, a ****ing amazing song

JkHalen
02-03-2006, 02:53 PM
Amazingly great band. I saw them live last year and they kicked ass! Definenetly best concert ever...or maybe 2nd..Van Halen was extremely good also :)

rayIII
05-03-2006, 10:11 PM
does ANYONE know any site where I can download Boston music videos/live videos? I tried Bearshare/Limewire and well.... check for youself :rolleyes:

Cptbeefheart
05-03-2006, 10:48 PM
I dont really know. Sorry.
Anyway my feelings about Boston are this. The debut album is mind blowing. Every song is a classic. But after that, the only good song they ever made again was Don't Look Back. The album Dont Look Back was not good other then the title song IMO. Scholz is great, but I think they ran out of gas.

Gezus666
05-03-2006, 11:00 PM
Dude, boston is way overlooked, kinda like Brian may. But man, Ya gotta love tom. A freaken genius .

Pl3h-B0y
05-04-2006, 02:54 AM
does ANYONE know any site where I can download Boston music videos/live videos? I tried Bearshare/Limewire and well.... check for youself :rolleyes:

well, i downloaded all the boston songs i have from limewire

get-born
05-04-2006, 03:22 PM
awesome album covers

distilledspirit
05-04-2006, 03:31 PM
I gotta be frank...one (or two) hit wonder.

TheHeartbreaker
05-04-2006, 03:52 PM
^^I wouldn't say one or two hit wonder.

I mean, here's some of their commonly played songs...

More Than A Feeling
Foreplay/Long Time
Peace of Mind
Don't Look Back
Rock n' Roll Band

That's five already (well...I think six because Foreplay/Long Time are different tracks *I think*), plus a few more. Also, most "One Hit Wonders" fade out after an album, but Boston kept bringing stuff after their debut.

distilledspirit
05-04-2006, 04:29 PM
True.

rayIII
05-04-2006, 07:45 PM
^^I wouldn't say one or two hit wonder.

I mean, here's some of their commonly played songs...

More Than A Feeling
Foreplay/Long Time
Peace of Mind
Don't Look Back
Rock n' Roll Band

That's five already (well...I think six because Foreplay/Long Time are different tracks *I think*), plus a few more. Also, most "One Hit Wonders" fade out after an album, but Boston kept bringing stuff after their debut.
don't forget Smokin', and Amanda ;)

TheHeartbreaker
05-04-2006, 09:03 PM
^^Yeah, I know. And even with those two they've still got a few more to add to the list.

Parker_CB
05-15-2006, 12:48 PM
Ya Tom is an amazing guitarist. I listen to Boston almost everyday.

Let's not forget about Kimberly the bassist. : )

TheHeartbreaker
05-15-2006, 04:14 PM
^^Yeah, she's pretty hot. ;)