Backing tracks with Audacity?

PDA

View Full Version : Backing tracks with Audacity?

danastasi
02-07-2006, 07:51 AM
Hey Guys,

I downloaded a couple of backing tracks and played along with them. I was wondering if I can use the drums and bass from a program like guitar pro and turn them into a backing track? Most of the tracks I download anyway sound like midi files anyway......

I know you can export a guitar pro tab as a midi file - is there any way to mute the guitars and just have the bass as a backing track??? Will that work?

If not through guitar pro, how? Any other suggestions would be awesome!!!

Cheers Guys,

Dan :devil:

pentagram_man63
02-07-2006, 07:55 AM
In Guitar Pro there should be separate tracks for guitar, bass and drums etc. Try muting one out, deleting it entirely or just deliting the notes from it. Anyway theyre tabs, not actual backing tracks. BT's come with the guitar taken out.

www.guitarbt.com

^ Lots of good backing tracks (you need to resgister) all in mp3 format so you can just import them into Audacity (theyre not MIDI, theyre real recorded instruments).

danastasi
02-07-2006, 07:58 AM
www.guitarbt.com

^ Lots of good backing tracks (you need to resgister) all in mp3 format so you can just import them into Audacity (theyre not MIDI, theyre real recorded instruments).

Cool - Cheers,

But how do I make one or create one for a song?? Or cant I?

I got the backing track for Puritania by Dimmu Borgir - It sounded pretty MIDI to me...... :confused: thanks any way!

Cheers

Dan

pentagram_man63
02-07-2006, 08:04 AM
Make one or create what? A backing track?

The ones off guitarbt.com were recorded by people, thats how theyre made. Its just a recording of the track without the guitar.

Archaon
02-07-2006, 08:16 AM
My friend I don't think Audacity allows the use of midis, the current stable version does not support it, or at least last time I checked.

However, what you want is still possible.

First, go to audacity and select Stereo for the input device.
Next, go to Guitar Pro and mute the tracks you don't want to hear.
Then in GP, go to File>Export>WAVE

Click Ok. Start the song. It will record it through the stereo speakers. Then when the recording is done you can import it into Audacity. Unfortunately I had to learn through mistakes :P

Hope this helps mate.

pentagram_man63
02-07-2006, 09:18 AM
^ Er... lol once you export it as a Wave you dont have to re-record it :bonk:

Sorry danastasi I didnt know thats what you meant. If you wanna turn a GP MIDI file into one that you can play over in Audacity:

1. As that other guy said, mute the tracks you dont wanna hear (i.e. the guitars) in GP.
2. Click file > export > Wave
3. Select My Documents or wherever you wanna export it to(this basically turns the MIDI Guitar Pro file into an audio one that Audacity can work with as it does not support i.e. cannot work with MIDI)
4. In Audacity click project > import audio > then double click on the file you just exported.

Then just click record and you can play over it.

EDIT: But the Guitar Pro MIDI sounds crap, I would use it as a backing track, I would get a real .mp3. Or just record the whole thing yourself.

Archaon
02-07-2006, 07:13 PM
^penta, last time I tried which wasn't too long ago it said that I had to press play on GP for the thing to record. Oh well.

Enjoy anyway.

danastasi
02-08-2006, 03:35 AM
Thanks Guys!

I'll try that then!

Cheers,

Dan :devil:

Archaon
02-08-2006, 08:40 PM
Oops, I made a mistake, now I realize it lol. My bad.

You can either export it as a WAVE (although when I did that I don't think it worked)
or you can set "Stereo" or speaker or whatever as input device in audacity, hit record, then go to GP and hit play. It'll record the sound being put through your speaker.

Cheers! And no problem!