Ten Years after

PDA

View Full Version : Ten Years after

bronyraur7o
02-12-2006, 04:24 AM
what do you guys think of TYA. Personally i love them. I think alvin lee is the man. what do you think

Masknought
02-12-2006, 04:27 AM
cant get enough of em.

bat69420
02-12-2006, 04:29 AM
Ive only heard 'id love to change the world'. Its pretty good.

Mellow Gold
02-12-2006, 04:38 AM
I tried getting in to TYA some time ago but I found it hard to find stuff by them.

skydogzoso1986
02-12-2006, 04:55 AM
great band! i own the album ssssh which is a great mix of blues and rock. i love alvin's guitar playing

Pl3h-B0y
02-12-2006, 06:42 AM
Alvin lee is pretty much amazing. I'd love to change the world is the first song i heard by them and i love it. But I also like i'm going home and sweet little sixteen

TheHeartbreaker
02-12-2006, 08:04 AM
They are one of my favorite bands. The albums I own are:

Ssssh
A Space In Time
Live at the Fillmore East
Recorded Live
Cricklewood Green

Sadly, my dad used to have more, but sold them thinking they'd be reissued, which they weren't. I'd give almost anything to find some more of their stuff.

For those of you who haven't listened to much of them, I'd definetly give them a chance. I'd highly recommend buying a live album because the recording and mixing (etc.) quality on their albums isn't too good. Originally they were taken as a joke, and were never expected to go anywhere. After a while, they were given more of a chance, which can be seen in their later albums, especially A Space In Time, which is an awesome album. If you want a TYA CD, but don't have enough money for a live album, definetly try A Space In Time. Besides the familiar I'd Love to Change the World, you'll find yourself loving everything they've got on the album from their relaxing accoustic songs to the album-ending jazz-influenced Uncle Jam.

Trully a great band, who don't get the respect they deserve. Alvin Lee is a great guitarist, and also a great vocalist, who, had the best range of probably any vocalist in the late 60s/early 70s.

Sadly, the band TYA and Alvin Lee broke up. TYA still tours, but with a different guitarist. If they got back together with Alvin, even though his range of voice has fallen, his guitar skills are still top-notch, I'd definetly go.

frippogenics
02-12-2006, 02:07 PM
I've got A Space In Time, and I enjoy it much.

dougarini
02-13-2006, 12:24 AM
its funny, i just watched a long documentary on woodstock, and one of my favorite bands was tya, and i had never heard them before, they really blew me away

TheHeartbreaker
04-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Hey, there's some pretty sweet videos on YouTube of Ten Years After. Just type in "Ten Years After" in the search box, and you'll get a few different links. Most of them are "I'm Going Home" live from Woodstock, but there's a couple other songs there too.

Here's a link to my favorite performance on the site:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIECUYIVo5w&search=ten%20years%20after

"Bad Scene" from the album Ssssh.

fenderfreak101
04-01-2006, 02:17 PM
i downloaded a CD of them off Itunes, and i have some of their stuff on vinyl.

Alvin Lee is god.

Jarrett Moore
04-01-2006, 06:06 PM
There not bad

freewheelinbird
04-02-2006, 02:27 PM
how does alvin lee play so fast

Pl3h-B0y
04-02-2006, 02:41 PM
Cause he can :D

TheHeartbreaker
04-02-2006, 05:17 PM
how does alvin lee play so fast

I have no ****ing idea, but it's not just the fact he plays fast... he makes it sound good and never messes up.

He is extremely underrated, that's for sure. Not only can he solo well, but he writes some really catchy riffs.

fenderfreak101
04-02-2006, 05:43 PM
I have no ****ing idea, but it's not just the fact he plays fast... he makes it sound good and never messes up.

He is extremely underrated, that's for sure. Not only can he solo well, but he writes some really catchy riffs.

He messes up occasionally if you listen to their live stuff like at Woodstock. nonetheless, still amazing.

Brandon860
04-02-2006, 07:59 PM
i just fixed my 8-track player I got a garage sale last year and popped in there Rock and Roll Music To The World Album, awesome stuff

Dirtydeeds468
04-02-2006, 10:49 PM
All I know is, he's got a great signature guitar. :D

http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/products/signature/lee/AlvinLee.html

Infinite-Reason
04-02-2006, 10:56 PM
Been into them for a while now. Some ones I just discovered are The Bluest Blues (AMAZING solo), Slow Blues in C, and One of these Days

the best of...
04-03-2006, 02:32 AM
i love them.

Ranger01
04-03-2006, 05:23 PM
he is probly one of the greatest Rock/ Blues guitarists of all time. I'm Going Home is probly one of my favorite CR songs of all time. (he plays fast cause he practices his songs alot and he Used To Be on acid about 99% of the time)

SlinkyMcdougall
03-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Im thinkin about buying his signature Gibson in the future....It looks damn sweet. the naked 57 gibson pickups and the sinle seymour duncan single coil in the middle....I figure thats gotta be a great guitar for anything ranging from classic punk to classic blues. And the locking stopbar too, thats a great touch. However, its really pricey....like 3,500. Maybe I'll just get a regular ES-335 instead...

TheHeartbreaker
03-12-2007, 03:48 PM
His guitar is absolutely beautiful. Doesn't it come with the stickers on it? :p:

Ranger01
03-12-2007, 04:24 PM
Ya, it has the stickers. For getting a similar guitar cheaper I recommend the ES-335 satin, and then buy a couple stickers (mainly the Red & Black peace symbol, its on all his Es's).
The matter of the middle pup is just going to a local shop and asking for it to be put on. As for the TP6 locking tailpiece just buy one, take off your stock tailpiece and put the TP6 on.

TheHeartbreaker
03-12-2007, 06:07 PM
w00t for stickers! :p:

SlinkyMcdougall
03-18-2007, 09:49 AM
Im actually thinkin about just getting an Epiphone Dot and then customizing that one. Replacing most of the parts of course

TheHeartbreaker
03-18-2007, 01:31 PM
That would be cheaper, definitely, but if I decided to buy one, I'd save up for the Gibson instead.

Groucho_Marx
05-28-2007, 03:23 PM
One of the first tunes I learned was TYA's 50,000 Miles Beneath My Brain.

TheHeartbreaker
05-28-2007, 06:42 PM
That's a great song. I actually tabbed a couple of songs by Ten Years After and submitted them to the site, but that was a couple of years ago, now, and my ear wasn't quite as good (both of my tabs got five stars, though).

So... to try and revitalize this thread... favorite studio albums?

Supreme WarHawk
05-29-2007, 02:01 AM
the only studio one I have is Shhhh. and it's pretty good. but nothing compares to there live stuff.

Cptbeefheart
05-29-2007, 09:28 AM
A Space in Time and self-titled are my favorite studio albums, but as others have said, nothing compares to the live stuff.

TheHeartbreaker
05-29-2007, 05:56 PM
I'm actually not too big on A Space in Time. To me, it seems more of a solo project for Alvin. The other members of the band seem absent on most of it.

al_
05-29-2007, 06:35 PM
All I have is A Space in Time. The songs are great in it but could someone (TheHeartBreaker im pointing at you since you seem to have heard alot) recommend me some album with some more intense guitar workouts then A Space in Time. Im Going Home on woodstock blows me away... definitely one of the highlights of the event.

TheHeartbreaker
05-29-2007, 07:45 PM
Live at the Fillmore East is an amazing live album with some really great guitar.

As for studio albums, look at some of their early albums such as Undead and Sssh.

I, however, find their live music to be the most "explosive", but their studios albums aren't bad.

Supreme WarHawk
05-30-2007, 02:09 AM
^ yeah, Fillmore East is awesome. and I Woke Up this Morning on Sssh has crazy guitar on it. like super crazy.

i(ncubus)play
05-30-2007, 04:50 PM
I'd love to change the world, but I don't know what to dooooo. So I'll leave it up to you. Great tune

Supreme WarHawk
07-26-2007, 04:49 PM
weeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrd.

I saw them last night. it was really weird.

first, I hadn't heard about it until 3 days before. so I get a couple friends and my dad to go with me. we show up at this tiny little building, with a little poster out front. we're there an hour before the doors open, no one's there. so we wait there, probably 10 more people show up before it opens.

we then get seats in the front, because no one's there. we're literally 3 feet away from them. probably another 50 people show up. so that's like 65 people total. at most. so they play for almost 2 hours, and it was the best concert I've ever been to, though I haven't been to many. Alvin Lee isn't with them anymore, but the other 3 are and the new guy Joe Gooch kicks serious ass. he was amazing. and Leo Lyons blew me away. crrrrazy fingers.

so after they finish, they just hang around and I get to talk to them all and get a poster signed. it was bad ass.

TheHeartbreaker
07-26-2007, 08:05 PM
That's awesome that you got to see them live, though I'm not a big fan of Joe Gooch myself (plus he has the worst last name ever :haha ).

I'd love to see the band reunite with Alvin, but it's doubtful. As far as I know, he doesn't play that much anymore (he's supposed to be a quiet, shy guy).

Supreme WarHawk
07-29-2007, 05:20 PM
^ First of all, he has the BEST last name ever.

and second, I wasn't sold on him when I heard he was the frontman, but after seeing him live, I can say I was WAY wrong. he played the songs perfectly and his voice went well with all the songs. He was great.

TheHeartbreaker
08-06-2007, 10:19 AM
Do you live in the States, because if so there's a chance they'll play by me sometime (assuming I haven't missed them).

I've only watched videos of Gooch playing, but there's something about Alvin playing with Ric, Chick, and Leon that makes Ten Years After Ten Years After.

Also, what was the set list like (if you remember)?

Supreme WarHawk
08-06-2007, 07:26 PM
yeah, I live in northern california. and I do know what you mean about alvin not being there, and I was skeptical at first, but it was awesome.

the set list was awesome. started with I woke up this Morning, had almost all my favorites in there (Hear me Calling, I'm Going home, I'd love to change the world, choochoo mama, Love like a man, Good morning little school girl, etc.), and a few new ones that I hadn't heard which were pretty good too.

school girl was amazing. best one they played. also ric had a drum solo.

TheHeartbreaker
08-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Nice. Ric is a really great drummer, but heavily underrated.