Technical Death Thing [Powertab]

PDA

View Full Version : Technical Death Thing [Powertab]

Contraband
02-12-2006, 10:41 PM
I've been adding on for a little while now and changing things for this powertab. It's not finished, but this is what I have so far. Any criticism appreciated, just please don't go "it sucks" and post nothing else; that means constructive criticism (or praise :p: ) Also, realize I'm not a bassist or drummer, I just added some for some more effect - guitar alone sounded empty.

Evian
02-13-2006, 12:29 AM
That was bad. It was too jumbled. Basically a mess of notes. Clean it up and get your ideas straight.

PsychoFreak
02-13-2006, 05:50 AM
No way in hell can you play those arpeggios.

Evian is right. It just seems like a bunch of jumbled notes.

Contraband
02-13-2006, 10:51 AM
The arpeggios are the least of my worries - I just changed it so you can actually play it. Umm...thanks for the criticism I guess, but "it's a jumble of notes" doesn't really help. I guess you guys haven't heard Severed Savior? Cause that's where my main inspiration comes from. I write similarly to what I like to listen to. I've heard people calling Necrophagist a jumble of notes, yet others familiar to the genre say it's art. I mean I appreciate your ratings, but I can't help but look over to that Metallica avatar and the fact that one of you likes Avenged Sevenfold and think...do you know the genre well enough, cause tech death has a lot of dissonant, incoherent sounds (listen to Gorguts' Obscura or a Severed Savior album). Changing the dissonance would make it sound more towards melodic death, which I don't want.

Anyways, I hope I didn't come off as a blatant idiot, but it helps if I have someone who's familiar with the genre, cause if someone doesn't like country and they rate a country tab, they're probably going to rate it poor, not because it's necesarrily poor, but because they're not familiar with it.

Davidian
02-13-2006, 11:08 AM
Wow thats some nice death metal if you can play that then the only problem you will have is finding a second guitarist. Still i would like a real recording much more so if you are coming to that anyday please do post it and pm me.

and Evian If you dont know tech death metal well enough to know it then just shut the fuck up.

Contraband
02-13-2006, 04:04 PM
Yea I can play it, I suppose, but the parts with the fast 32nd note tremelo picking doesn't come off as cleanly as I'd want it too (there were originally just 2 16th notes in a place which now has 4 32nds). And I don't have a band, cause well...everyone here who plays guitar is only willing to play a few sloppy power chords ala Green Day. So if you're expecting a recording, expect 1 guitar with the incoherent rumbling of me doing the rhythm on another layer, a drum machine, bass on power tab and the quality of a webcam. That'd be tough to syncronize, so I'd just do 1 or 2 guitars. But I'll say it again, tech death isn't for everyone - it matters if you like what you're writing right? To be honest, I'm happy with what I have so far (I like dissonance if you noticed), it's just that I didn't follow any structure or think about chord progressions + I'm relatively a noob to guitar compared to the likes of Muhammed Suicmez.

Egrodyne
02-13-2006, 04:10 PM
Wow thats some nice death metal if you can play that then the only problem you will have is finding a second guitarist. Still i would like a real recording much more so if you are coming to that anyday please do post it and pm me.

and Evian If you dont know tech death metal well enough to know it then just shut the fuck up.

Ohh bloody ell carm down you arrogent pansy ;)

Anyway...the genre..well basically thats balls co's if u compare this to art its basically like gettin a monkey to chuck paint at a blank camvas and sellin it for a couple million....its noise with no soul....personally i go for the solo's along the line of avenged sevenfold because their is a good deal of shed like guitar but also intelligance of appegios and workin over well placed chord ideas.....

....My 2 cents :peace:

shoebox81
02-13-2006, 05:14 PM
I didn't really like it at all...

The main thing thats wrong with it is that it's emotionless. music, and art in general, is about conveying emotions. And, don't come back at me saying i don't like it because of it's genre. I like metal and shred. Good metal has emotion. Aggression. And playing hard and fast doesn't make soemthing aggressive. Aggressive themes and good use of interesting chord structures, especially for soloing, is what makes a metal song good.

Again, playing hard and fast does not a good metal song make.

I almost felt as if this song was made out of random, as if it was made by a computer with no sense of emotions. None of your melodies really stick out in my mind.

I would like to point out something good about it, but it's very hard to. The harmony's not bad, but again, it's "cookie-cutter."

I would consider serious revision.

Contraband
02-13-2006, 07:03 PM
I'm getting a lot from Severed Savior and Necrophagist, I realize that you might not think those sort of bands are listenable and that they have no emotion, but the first time I heard Necrophagist I thought that a computer made the music - it sounded so bland. Now that I've delved deeper into the genre exploring more different aspects including brutal death and black metal, I see what it's about. Like I said it's not for everyone, but before saying it's noise with no soul, please consider what you listen to: Avenged Sevenfold. A7X: Hardcore/Metalcore/Screamo. Necrophagist: Technical Death Metal. There is a huge difference. If what you're saying is that the whole genre is soulless music, please go away and rate hardcore alone. If you can't be open-minded let alone listen to the genre, there is no point in listening to you if you pretty much dislike the genre.

And no, a good metal song does not have to be aggressive. You all rate this, and tell me what you think then...

shoebox81
02-13-2006, 07:11 PM
You're right, a good metal song does not have to be aggressive, but that is what, i think, metal is best at. And no, I do not think the whole genre is bad, but theres alot to be said for creativity, and alot of bands in this genre lack that.

Anyways, my comments were not about the genre, they were about your tab itself

saddam
02-14-2006, 02:32 AM
i liked it a lot, very necrophagist like, but i think some parts should be a little faster... . great death metal anyway, good job man!

ethereal sin
02-14-2006, 06:40 AM
I liked it alot. I thought it had a Origin/Necrophagist kinda sound to it, which is good cause both of those bands are badass.

Chubz
02-15-2006, 08:33 PM
okay, dude the problem is noone here listens to your genre, I for one loved it . It was so good i loved the double bass too keep it up this is great stuff

Night_Lights
02-18-2006, 03:08 AM
That was bad. It was too jumbled. Basically a mess of notes. Clean it up and get your ideas straight.

you know you need to be a Death Metal fan to appreciate Death Metal.

exellent work Contraband. Too many low E chugs though.

Spark1284
02-18-2006, 12:11 PM
FUKIN MARRY MEEEE!!!!!!!!
but yeah that was utterly incredible.... its a true bitch to play but my god finish this please i must hear it

Egrodyne
02-18-2006, 01:36 PM
I'm getting a lot from Severed Savior and Necrophagist, I realize that you might not think those sort of bands are listenable and that they have no emotion, but the first time I heard Necrophagist I thought that a computer made the music - it sounded so bland. Now that I've delved deeper into the genre exploring more different aspects including brutal death and black metal, I see what it's about. Like I said it's not for everyone, but before saying it's noise with no soul, please consider what you listen to: Avenged Sevenfold. A7X: Hardcore/Metalcore/Screamo. Necrophagist: Technical Death Metal. There is a huge difference. If what you're saying is that the whole genre is soulless music, please go away and rate hardcore alone. If you can't be open-minded let alone listen to the genre, there is no point in listening to you if you pretty much dislike the genre.

And no, a good metal song does not have to be aggressive. You all rate this, and tell me what you think then...

I listened to the powertab.....personally i liked it from about bar 109 onwards....so the genre obviously has something to offer me even if its very litttle (so not closed minded about it, its just a point of view).....but as you said, the genre's as you described them are very different.....i may grow to like ur music in the future if i can find music simular to that solo part i pointed out, never know ;)

Frostithe
02-18-2006, 06:09 PM
Hmm I prefered yours to the Necrophagist song by quite a long way..... Yours is all good except for bars 16-23 (In my opinion), those bits do sound a bit random but the rest is excellent and I dont even like death metal!

Paint
02-19-2006, 01:10 PM
that was pretty sweet. its along the lines job for a cowboy. which is good. i think that being that tech is sweet whether he uses theory or not. its still impressive. and he did use the diminished scale a lot.

anyway...cool.

Alucard II
02-19-2006, 02:59 PM
i want a recording of that if you get one; thats some top drawer metal man
:cheers:

slash_620
02-20-2006, 06:13 AM
Well reading the first few comments i thought it was going to be awful,but when i listened to it,even though i didn't paticulary like the genre,i thought it was above average.

It doesn't lose anything to that second song you posted so i'm gonna say well done and keep writing.

Murahilin
02-23-2006, 08:31 PM
Haven't read crap in this thread but Sounds like Necrophagist. It was ok...not bad. I like it cause it sounds like something I would come up with when I'm feeling pissed and disoriented. Which is now mostly everyday...my headaches are getting worse :(

Again, noice. I didn't like the drum intro, though. :(

apocalypse13
02-23-2006, 08:53 PM
It sounds good man. Kind of ends abrupt. But, some of the riffs really kick ass. With some nice heavy tone running through it, it could be a solid metal track.

Crit my techno! lol
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=322636

dennmetal
02-24-2006, 01:07 PM
i think it sounds good. I bet in person with drums behind it, it would be sick.