fav. political songs by your fav. bands

PDA

View Full Version : fav. political songs by your fav. bands

DownDark
02-13-2006, 09:42 PM
You all know what my favorite band is and my favorite political songs by them are:

White Man (details the plight of the American Indian)
Hammer To Fall (dealt with the danger of nuclear weapons)
One Vision (the song itself was inspired by their showstopping performance at Live Aid)

Not much but it's enough to prove a point. Now it's your turn...

unkabonka
02-13-2006, 09:46 PM
Honestly, I don't really like bands that go political with thier music; it sort of ruins it for me (being a conservative and most bands liberal... :) Eh, I do like Taxman though.

DownDark
02-13-2006, 09:47 PM
^of course you rule out The Clash, right?

TheJoeyH Show
02-13-2006, 09:47 PM
The Holidays Are Here (and We're Still at War) - Brett Dennen

Guitar_junkie
02-13-2006, 09:50 PM
war pigs black sabbath

wonderboy47
02-13-2006, 09:53 PM
Honestly, I don't really like bands that go political with thier music; it sort of ruins it for me (being a conservative and most bands liberal... :) Eh, I do like Taxman though.
That's pretty much what I was thinking.

In "2 Minutes to Midnight" by Iron Maiden, Bruce sings something about killing the unborn in the womb, that's about as close as a song has gotten to appealing to my political views.

Rock1986
02-13-2006, 10:07 PM
Us and Them- pink Floyd

DownDark
02-13-2006, 10:45 PM
Us and Them- pink Floyd

In what way is that political?

Don't take that the wrong way... I believe you but could you please explain what makes it political?

sirpsycho85
02-13-2006, 11:30 PM

lol bc taxman represents a conservative policy against high taxation.

being a liberal, i have many more choices. i'd say the greatest is "fortunate son" by CCR.

ufossuck
02-13-2006, 11:40 PM
My favourite political artist is Neil Young. Most of his songs on politics are about events that happened hundreds of years ago (Alabama, Southern Man, Cortez the Killer, etc.) which makes me like them a little less. Of course, "Ohio" and "Rockin' in the Free World" are two of his best songs, so that all works out quite well. I also enjoy The Guess Who's "Share the Land," which many people thought was about communism. Also, I've never heard the song, but I love Lou Reed and I've seen the lyrics for "Sex With Your Parents (Mother****er Part II)" which seems kinda messed up, but makes fun of Bob Dole and conservatives, which I'm all for.

Prince_Marquis
02-13-2006, 11:47 PM
"Ohio"-Neil Young
"Revolution"-Beatles
"All Along the Watchtower"-(Well it kinda sounds)
"Children of the Grave"-Black Sabbath

Would "Peace Train" be considered CR?

frippogenics
02-14-2006, 12:43 AM
John Lennon "Working Class Hero," not partisan, but political nonetheless.

rx_eb
02-14-2006, 04:21 AM
That's pretty much what I was thinking.

In "2 Minutes to Midnight" by Iron Maiden, Bruce sings something about killing the unborn in the womb, that's about as close as a song has gotten to appealing to my political views.

that's not classic rock

Would "Peace Train" be considered CR?

cat steven's one?

BloodOverBlonde
02-14-2006, 07:23 AM
Us and Them is about war. Admittedly, I had to read a Roger Waters interview to realise that but if you listen to the lyrics properly you'll realise it. If you count The Times They Are A-Changin' I would say that. How has no-one mentioned Creedence Clearwater Revival. Possibly the most prolific political band (Or songwriter) around Vietnam. Fortunate Son and Who'll Stop The Rain are my favourite Vietnam ones by them but there's also The Midnight Special, which seemingly deals with the depression:

'You wake up in the morning
Hear the work bell ring
March over to the table
Hear the same old thing

There's no food upon the table
There's no food down in the pan
But you better not complain, boy
You'll get in trouble with the man'

Da G Man
02-14-2006, 12:40 PM
well my favourite band is rage against the machine so i got a few to choose from but i say No Shelter or Wake Up

SomeEvilDude
02-14-2006, 01:18 PM
Pink Floyd - Us & Them, most of the stuff on The Final Cut (don't like Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert or Southampton Dock, but it's a great political album otherwise).

Cream - Politician

Jimi Hendrix - Machine Gun

Mr. Mojo Risin
02-14-2006, 03:00 PM
Masters of War - Bob Dylan

Liam Alan
02-14-2006, 03:19 PM
well my favourite band is rage against the machine so i got a few to choose from but i say No Shelter or Wake Up

*Cough*This is the Classic Rock Forum*Cough*

Anyway,

Any Neil Young political rules. Dylan's "Masters of War" is just brutal. Also all of the lines from his "A Hard Rain Is-a Gonna Fall" are the beginning of all his songs he didn't have time to finish because of the world blowing up. Really magnifies the song after knowing that. (Which is hard because the song is so epic on it's own.)

get-born
02-14-2006, 03:35 PM
War Pigs- Black Sabbath

"Politicians hide themselves away
They only started the war
Why should they go out to fight
They leave that all to the poor"

^a great song that dosent hide the truth

Ohio- Neil Young

"four dead in ohio"

^an awesome song about killings at a vietnam protest in ohio

and last but not least...

Great Whit Buffalo- Ted Nugent

"the indains needed food,
skins for a roof,
they only took what they needed babe,
they left the buffalo for the proof,

but then came the white man,
with his thick and empty head,
couldnt see past the billfold,
wanted all the buffalo dead"

^more music based than anything, but still ted's best work and one sweet song

TimiHendrix33
02-14-2006, 03:35 PM
Ohio-Neil Young/Crosby,Stills,Nash,and Young
Masters Of War-Bob Dylan
Blowin' In the Wind-Bob Dylan

Us And Them-Pink Floyd

Us and Them
(Waters, Wright) 7:40

Us, and them
And after all we're only ordinary men.
Me, and you.
God only knows it's not what we would choose to do.
Forward he cried from the rear
and the front rank died.
And the general sat and the lines on the map
moved from side to side.
Black and blue
And who knows which is which and who is who.
Up and down.
But in the end it's only round and round.
Haven't you heard it's a battle of words
The poster bearer cried.
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

[spoken]
"I mean, they're not gunna kill ya, so if you give 'em a quick short,
sharp, shock, they won't do it again. Dig it? I mean he get off
lightly, 'cos I would've given him a thrashing - I only hit him once!
It was only a difference of opinion, but really...I mean good manners
don't cost nothing do they, eh?"

Down and out
It can't be helped but there's a lot of it about.
With, without.
And who'll deny it's what the fighting's all about?
Out of the way, it's a busy day
I've got things on my mind.
For the want of the price of tea and a slice
The old man died.

JimmyStradlin33
02-14-2006, 03:46 PM
Yeh us and them is brilliant. I dont know whether it could be called political, but born to runs about the working class etc and i love that.

Maet
02-14-2006, 04:12 PM
Music should stay out of politics, and politics out of music if you ask me. The two just don't mix, and shouldn't.

BloodOverBlonde
02-14-2006, 04:56 PM
Music should stay out of politics, and politics out of music if you ask me. The two just don't mix, and shouldn't.

I agree with the second part, politics should stay out of msuic, but some of the most emotive music is political. It's a great device for extracting emotion from people.

DownDark
02-14-2006, 07:04 PM
I agree with the second part, politics should stay out of msuic, but some of the most emotive music is political. It's a great device for extracting emotion from people.

The Clash, anyone?

duststones
02-14-2006, 08:19 PM
Oviously Unknown Soldier

Morrisons dad was an admiral and wouldnt let his men listen to Doors albums during 'Nam...

Imagine the Balls Jim had to write something like that.

Strokesofgenius
09-13-2006, 01:23 AM
BYOB system of a down

stonegolem13
09-13-2006, 04:22 PM
Its been said before but i'll say it again The Final Cut (album) is completely about politics. Maggie who is referred to in the songs is Margaret Thatcher (Prime Minister of Britain at the time) and it deals with the Second World War which Roger's father died in.

BlueOyster23
09-13-2006, 05:55 PM
"The Fletcher Memorial Home" Pink Floyd
"War Paigs" Black Sabbath
"Children Of The Grave" Black Sabbath
"Indian Reservation" Paul Revere & The Raiders(it's kind of political)
"Masters Of War" Bob Dylan
"The Times They Are A-Changin'" Bob Dylan
"Let's Impeach The President" Neil Young

...etc.

VoodooChild15
09-13-2006, 07:13 PM
To everyone who's saying music shouldn't be political, I say that musicians should write about whatever the hell they want to. Anyway, most of my favorites have been said, but I have to add Machine Gun by Hendrix.

Bob_Dylan108
09-14-2006, 02:01 PM
Most songs off of Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, Saturday Night Special, and Sweet Home Alabama by Skynyrd.

Bob_Dylan108
09-14-2006, 02:07 PM
Oh yeah, Thing's Goin on-Lynyrd Skynyrd too.

Dirk Gently
09-14-2006, 02:09 PM
A lot of already mentioned. Also, "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World" by Neil Young and "Born in the USA" by Bruce Springsteen. With Neil Young, you expect great political music. With Bruce Springsteen...him writing something so bitter, so biting was pretty unexpected. And it was so well done.

JackWhite1988
09-14-2006, 02:49 PM
Although not classic rock, Megadeth in my opinion is the best political metal band of all-time.

As far as classic rock, I'd say:

Bob Dylan
Jefferson Airplane
Black Sabbath
CCR
some Springsteen

people say The Doors but the band themselves will tell you they aren't a political rock band.

VR05
09-14-2006, 05:11 PM
Donovan- The War Drags On, The Universal Soldier

Frank Zappa (he was very politically inclined)- Trouble Every Day, I'm The Slime, Who Needs the Peace Corps? (I know there's a lot more, but I can't really think right now)

Jefferson Airplane- Volunteers, Today

Buffalo Springfield- For What It's Worth

The Who- Won't Get Fooled Again

etc.etc... some of my favorite songs and all great songs too, but I really disagree with who ever said politics should stay out of music and vice versa, I think it's a good topic to write a song about, and lets the musician let a lot of emotion out.