Steve Vai is Overrated

PDA

View Full Version : Steve Vai is Overrated

vikramkr
02-14-2006, 02:41 PM
The emotion and melody in his music is overrated. He overuses the lydian mode when composing his compositions. His use of phrygian dominant sounds are dysfunctional. In theory, his music is at best, strictly mediocre.

paddyo
02-14-2006, 02:42 PM
Great:). Thanks:).

priest.fan.
02-14-2006, 02:44 PM
thanks for that valuable bit of knowledge.

now fu off and take your pretentious opinions elsewhere.

GNR4EVER
02-14-2006, 02:45 PM
You're the same idiot who said Mozart was over-rated yesterday

Stop making these threads you fucking tool, but congratulations on your use of big words and this thread as a cry for attention again :cheers:

apocalypse13
02-14-2006, 02:48 PM
Bwahhaahaha.....................;)

What's up with all the (Insert Popular Guitarsit) i5 Li3K ov3r R8ed!@#$#12 threads nowadays?

karateguy29
02-14-2006, 02:48 PM
yeah prepare for a flame fest,

i can't give my opinion on him though since i dont listen to him much, but judging from what i have heard from him, he's deffinetly not overrated.

PLUS dont say he's overrated untill you can come up with somthing better

yamahano1
02-14-2006, 02:49 PM
have u seen this guy playing live

twittch
02-14-2006, 02:55 PM
and you can do better? youre probably just some 14 year old snot who doesnt know **** about ****. Steve Vai would own your ass on any type of guitar playing so shut your mouth and leave this forum

Dirtydeeds468
02-14-2006, 02:56 PM
Whoa...

Wait! What?!

You...you said...You said Steve Vai doesn't play with any emotion?!

WOW! I've never heard anyone say that about any shredder before!

:rolleyes:

Thanks for reeducating and liberating my mind, douchebag. :rolleyes:

EDIT- Hey, this is the same guy who says you can 'shred' with a powerchord! :haha
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=319003

terrencemaddox
02-14-2006, 02:56 PM
Yeah I'm not even a shred fan but I have listened to some of his music...it's pretty obvious that the man knows what he's doing.

FreedomFighter
02-14-2006, 02:57 PM
True. But people are allowed to voice their opinions.

Except the thread creator. He just sucks a lot of sausauge.

oblique
02-14-2006, 02:57 PM
The emotion and melody in his music is overrated. He overuses the lydian mode when composing his compositions. His use of phrygian dominant sounds are dysfunctional. In theory, his music is at best, strictly mediocre.

That's possibly the most pretentious post ever.

SlashHammett
02-14-2006, 02:58 PM
so vikramkr what kind of musicians do you think arnt overrated?

paddyo
02-14-2006, 02:58 PM
:haha Even the non-shred forumers are kicking this guy out. Get the picture threadstarter? Leave please, now.....For your own good.

apocalypse13
02-14-2006, 03:00 PM
^:haha

guywithaguitar1
02-14-2006, 03:00 PM
"composing his competions"? you are a redundent fuk stick

GreenDayChris
02-14-2006, 03:03 PM
i don't even like Vai, but you're still wrong.

apocalypse13
02-14-2006, 03:04 PM
This has to be the biggest noob asskick in Shred forum history. At least as long as I've been here.

paddyo
02-14-2006, 03:05 PM
i don't even like Vai, but you're still wrong.

:haha:haha:haha:haha:haha Now thats funny! Fair play dude ;)

St-Anger
02-14-2006, 03:06 PM

haha, in 'THEORY' whos theory, yours? so he over uses lydian and you think his phyrigan dominants are disfunctional, how is that bad, maybe he just likes playing like that, if you could write music, or if you were a famous guitarist, maybe you would have the right to critize, but you dont, what did steve vai ever do to you, your not even a goddamn musician i bet, whats your problem, do you find pleasure in bashing people obviously musically superior to you? geez, get a life? thanks.

epy
02-14-2006, 03:06 PM
just wow...

St-Anger
02-14-2006, 03:07 PM
by the way, I barely even litsen to him, ive heard like a few of his songs, in fact, i personally dont like shredding, and hard styles like that much anymore, but you still have to have respect for him as an artist, geez, everbody has there own style.

paddyo
02-14-2006, 03:08 PM
A God doth say: From this hour forth, thy thread shall be nameth "Noob, pwned the hell out of......by noob.....s"

apocalypse13
02-14-2006, 03:08 PM
I don this thread,

"Teh Asskcick of teh noob"

Damn, paddyo had the same thing in mind! :D

paddyo
02-14-2006, 03:09 PM
^haha. I'm sure we can reach an agreement of titles. I really mean mine:D )

apocalypse13
02-14-2006, 03:13 PM
"You! Noob! You hath been pwned by teh noobs and woeful friends alike! Asskick has befallen! Leave, before I unleash the focking Fury"

-Yngwie J. Malmsteen

paddyo
02-14-2006, 03:16 PM
:p: Fair enough...

PooKoo
02-14-2006, 03:25 PM
omgzzz guyz cnt u c tath eh;'s ritE!?1
i men vi iz lyke wayyyy nt as godo az evy1 sez, he cnt evbn rite anyibng memoraertble

'i men jimi page iz lke wayyy betttter cuz u kno hiz muzic wen he cumz on teh radio

lol u guyz r n00bz

pavan
02-14-2006, 03:28 PM
ok guys, cool down.....
dont let this thread run into anymore pages.....

apocalypse13
02-14-2006, 03:30 PM
.....Ok.......:(

PooKoo's post was hilarious though.

PooKoo
02-14-2006, 03:31 PM
haha **** lets let it run forever, who cares? itll just be another random shred chat.

And yess, it has been a while since i n00bspoke

apocalypse13
02-14-2006, 03:33 PM
:haha

It'll undoubtedly be closed, but oh well. Most of the noob death has died down.

pavan
02-14-2006, 03:33 PM
^ dude, totally not worth it. Its not funny anymore.

TURNIP
02-14-2006, 03:34 PM
every one is overrated

apocalypse13
02-14-2006, 03:36 PM
Yeah Pavan's right, I don't think my 30 days is up yet. It might be, but I'm not going to press my luck.

PooKoo
02-14-2006, 03:40 PM
whats not funny ? noob death? noobspeak?

that ****s always funny

slash_620
02-14-2006, 03:40 PM
Yeah Pavan's right, I don't think my 30 days is up yet. It might be, but I'm not going to press my luck.

Good idea.

apocalypse13
02-14-2006, 03:42 PM
:)

I could check my e-mail and find out, but I'm too lazy. :o

Waterboy799
02-14-2006, 04:04 PM
i think a bit of me just died........:sad:

TheUltimateSin
02-14-2006, 04:05 PM
You know what's funny? In another thread I practically predicted this. Some noob came along, posted something incrediably stupid, and we've not heard from him/her since. Apoc, you know what I'm talking about. You were there :D

yamahano1
02-14-2006, 04:17 PM
well i think its safe to say that threadstarter, for one is gay, and shudnt critisise one of the greatest ever

what a bitch

Mr_Hyde
02-14-2006, 04:25 PM
have you seen him live...? if you had ..like moi....you'll understand that hes not one bit overated ;). oh yer...if he favours the lydian mode...which i heard him once said he did in a article...then who cares....everyone has a favourite style ..sound..modes etc. so what if he uses it alot.

ooblah
02-14-2006, 04:26 PM
holy **** dude, how can you make that call? If anything i would say he is under rated compared to all those people on MTV who release pop/punk records and make millions of more money. He is a great guitarist and song writer, give him the credit he deserves.

It is not your right to put down other guitarists because other people look up to them. If its not your thing, its not your thing. Done, end of story. But dont even begin to try to insult him because its undeniable that he is what he is. I salute you Greendaychris! thats a true musician!

apocalypse13
02-14-2006, 04:46 PM
You know what's funny? In another thread I practically predicted this. Some noob came along, posted something incrediably stupid, and we've not heard from him/her since. Apoc, you know what I'm talking about. You were there :D
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316792&page=2&pp=20
That one? rofl, he sucked and needed a rather large prescription of pwnage.

yamahano1
02-14-2006, 04:47 PM
i seen him in glasgow

Resiliance
02-14-2006, 05:00 PM
I agree.

Then again I don't.

Wait - I don't care.

apocalypse13
02-14-2006, 05:02 PM
I think Resi has some kind of option on his PC that says he's always offline. Out of all the posts he's made, only like 7 of them he's been online when I read them. :p:

TheUltimateSin
02-14-2006, 05:34 PM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316792&page=2&pp=20
That one? rofl, he sucked and needed a rather large prescription of pwnage.

:haha That one was hilarious.

I meant down in that sonny-person thread a few threads down where I was saying what most threads turn into. When I said "along the lines of what I said", I was including this exact kind of topic: "So-and-so is waayy overrated", which translates to "This is what I think and I am dumb enough to make an entire thread dedicated to my opinion on one stupid little thing like this".

But yeah. Vai = overrated?? It's great that you think that(well, not really) but we don't care. If that's what you think, listen to something else and forget about it. Don't make an entire thread to say something stupid like that. Guess what? In my opinion, Randall William Rhoads > everyone else. But I don't go around making a thread just to say it because I am smarter than that and I know that not everyone agrees with me. But I don't go around flaunting it like its a proven fact. Think before you post next time.

apocalypse13
02-14-2006, 05:36 PM
Oh I got you. :cheers:

splice
02-14-2006, 05:59 PM
who are you to critisize steve vai?

splice
02-14-2006, 06:02 PM
AND MOZART?????you............

mexican_shred
02-14-2006, 06:06 PM
I think the threadstarter just put the words lydian and Phrygian Dominant to sound "smart" and educated in "theory". Get off ur high horse.

priest.fan.
02-14-2006, 06:46 PM
I think the threadstarter just put the words lydian and Phrygian Dominant to sound "smart" and educated in "theory". Get off ur high horse.

exactly... this is his post in his "power chord shred" thread

Thanks everyone. I'll keep your tips in mind when I'm ****ing shred today with extensive modal playing using the lydian mode. The sharp fourth in lydian gives a mystic feel.

lol. kind of ironic how he mocks vai for using the lydian mode, and then he posts away in another thread about how much he loves lydian. Inf fact he probably doesn't even know what he's saying, it sounds kind of like he's directly copying it from some theory site.

PooKoo
02-14-2006, 06:56 PM
link to that thread! i must see it

vikramkr
02-14-2006, 07:38 PM
I'm glad to see that there is a lot of constructive and intelligent feedback in this thread, like :"You! Noob! You hath been pwned by teh noobs and woeful friends alike!". Go ahead and count the number of times "noob" has been said in this discussion; there is such immaturity here.

Please, tell me what is wrong with voicing my opinion? Show some respect to eachother and have some decency.

Dirtydeeds468
02-14-2006, 07:49 PM
I'm glad to see that there is a lot of constructive and intelligent feedback in this thread, like :"You! Noob! You hath been pwned by teh noobs and woeful friends alike!". Go ahead and count the number of times "noob" has been said in this discussion; there is such immaturity here.

Please, tell me what is wrong with voicing my opinion? Show some respect to eachother and have some decency.

Opinion?

"The emotion and melody in his music is overrated. He overuses the lydian mode when composing his compositions. His use of phrygian dominant sounds are dysfunctional. In theory, his music is at best, strictly mediocre."

That doesn't sound like a shred (no pun intended) of opinion to me. :rolleyes: If you'd stop flaunting your "opinion" on Steve Vai as a goddamn fact of life, maybe we would be quicker to accept you! :rolleyes:

EDIT- I sincerely invite anyone to take a list at all of his posts in his profile. You'll understand what I mean...:haha

mexican_shred
02-14-2006, 07:51 PM

nothing wrong but sounding pretencious kills the whole "opnion thing".

and when u post things like this
Thanks everyone. I'll keep your tips in mind when I'm ****ing shred today with extensive modal playing using the lydian mode. The sharp fourth in lydian gives a mystic feel.
it kills ur standing for being taken seriouly . you just recently started doing lydian and other modal patterns in soloing and ur criticizing someones soloing techinques that are far advaced

rush4life
02-14-2006, 07:52 PM
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

Steve Vai is great!

vikramkr
02-14-2006, 07:53 PM
Opinion?

"The emotion and melody in his music is overrated. He overuses the lydian mode when composing his compositions. His use of phrygian dominant sounds are dysfunctional. In theory, his music is at best, strictly mediocre."

That doesn't sound like a shred (no pun intended) of opinion to me. :rolleyes: If you'd stop flaunting your "opinion" on Steve Vai as a goddamn fact of life, maybe we would be quicker to accept you! :rolleyes:

Sorry, I didn't say "In my opinion..." before the post.

Anyways, people are overreacting. You like Steve Vai? That's great. I don't, and I was expressing my opinion in a completely legitimate way, so enough with the flaming.

priest.fan.
02-14-2006, 08:03 PM
Sorry, I didn't say "In my opinion..." before the post.

Anyways, people are overreacting. You like Steve Vai? That's great. I don't, and I was expressing my opinion in a completely legitimate way, so enough with the flaming.

correction: a completely unlegitimate and unnecessary way. Please read the rules and FAQ before making idiot threads like this.

Dirtydeeds468
02-14-2006, 08:05 PM
Great.

Then there should be no problem here.

"You like Steve Vai?"

"No. Steve Vai lacks emotion and melody. He is grossly overrated. His use of the lydian mode is out of place. His use of phrygian dominant sounds also sound like crap. He is at best, a mediocre player."

See what I mean? Saying something like that makes you look like a total douchebag.

Oh, and by the way, congratulations on mastering "Day Tripper," the "G" Chord and the powerchord! What is shredding again?

GNR4EVER
02-14-2006, 08:05 PM
:haha this threads still here?

vikramkr
02-14-2006, 08:06 PM
My sincere apologies to all Steve Vai fanatics who were appauled by my post. I shall now read the forum rules and the FAQ to insure that my future posts are of higher quality. I admit, that speaking how I did made me sound like a jerk.

Sorry.

haveaniceday233
02-14-2006, 08:08 PM
its ok if you dont like him but dont say hes overrated becuz he isnt

apocalypse13
02-14-2006, 08:09 PM
haha

You're such a moron!

I'll take a line out of priest.fan.'s book and say:

I don't like Limp Bizkit, but I don't go around making "Limp Bizkit Suxors" threads, or "Billie Joe Sucks" threads in the Pop Punk forum because I don't like Green Day!

edit: Too late... Damn :(

mexican_shred
02-14-2006, 08:09 PM
My sincere apologies to all Steve Vai fanatics who were appauled by my post. I shall now read the forum rules and the FAQ to insure that my future posts are of higher quality. I admit, that speaking how I did made me sound like a jerk.

Sorry.
a lot fo the people here who replied where non vai fanatics....

apocalypse13
02-14-2006, 08:11 PM
^That's what's funny. Any semi-knowledgeble person knows that Vai knows music inside and out.

mr_clapton
02-15-2006, 03:39 AM
if steve vai ran for president i think he would win and create world peace and all would obey him forever and ever while he has a fan blowing his hair back

We love you vai

SandmaN211
02-15-2006, 04:34 AM
y does this guy talk like his using a thesaurus for every word?
I shall now read the forum rules and the FAQ to insure that my future posts are of higher quality
wot does higher qualiyt mean?
that speaking how I did? wtf?

Mad Marius
02-15-2006, 04:47 AM

Sorry.

The word you're looking for is "appalled", Mr Linguist.

And there's nothing in the FAQ against having a good/bad oppinion about an artist's music.

But I totally disagree with Vai being overrated. I don't know the structure of his music all that well, but what I hear, I like.

Since you seem pretentious when it comes to music, could you name a famous guitarist who you think is NOT overrated?

EDIT: on second thought, I just saw your "Green Day vs Dream Theatre" thread, so, nevermind.

paddyo
02-15-2006, 05:02 AM

Sorry.

Consider it forgiven dude;) About before though, we were just messing cause people like you were before you realised how stupid it was, come on here everyday with that same ****. Anyways, glad to see that you've realised your wrong doings and that we DO take stuff seriously in here, it just has to be intelligent:).

Resiliance
02-15-2006, 11:34 AM
I think Resi has some kind of option on his PC that says he's always offline. Out of all the posts he's made, only like 7 of them he's been online when I read them. :p:

I have.

apocalypse13
02-15-2006, 12:18 PM
:p:

bat69420
02-15-2006, 12:28 PM
:haha :haha
This is a thread?

The only way you could not that steve vai is skilled is to not be able to listen to music properly. These are the type of people that have trouble learning polly and think simple plan sound original and invented the soft verse/loud chorus formula.

You may not like how steve vai's songs sound, but everything he does is intentional. His scales and the way he uses them gives him a unique sound. Maybe how perfect his technique is and the fact that it looks effortless for him makes it seem easy. But learn a vai song and you'll find that you are lacking as a guitar player. Anyone developed enough to play a steve vai song without disgracing your insrtument should be able to appreciate his technique and skills at the very least.

tom_ledzep
02-15-2006, 01:14 PM
if this guy knew just the slightest bit about music he would have thought twice about saying steve vai is overrated. i would not say steve vai is on the same level as yngwie malmsteen but he still puts a lot into his music...........just listen to tender surrender for example, he is a really creative player and has a very original playing style compared to some shredders.

slash_620
02-15-2006, 01:23 PM
y does this guy talk like his using a thesaurus for every word?
I shall now read the forum rules and the FAQ to insure that my future posts are of higher quality
wot does higher qualiyt mean?
that speaking how I did? wtf?

And why do you have the vo-cab-u-lary(too big for ya?) and gr-a-mat-i-cal(come on,it's only 10 letters) of a 4 year old?

TheI7ark
02-15-2006, 02:21 PM
if this guy knew just the slightest bit about music he would have thought twice about saying steve vai is overrated. i would not say steve vai is on the same level as yngwie malmsteen but he still puts a lot into his music...........just listen to tender surrender for example, he is a really creative player and has a very original playing style compared to some shredders.

Actually on a technical level, Steve Vai blows Yngwie out of the water from a speed standpoint. Not to mention Vai doesn't recycle licks half as much as Yngwie ;)

Seriously, lets all just let this thread die in peace.

Freepower
02-15-2006, 02:46 PM

It looks like you learnt your lesson after this post, but just remember, unless you actually have something to say on the subject, then dont say it. What did you actually say apart from "I dont like steve vai, he overuses some popular modes"?

It's fair enough to make the comment, but at least have something solid to back yourself up with. People have been using the major scale for so long that tbh, overusing the lydian is just great in comparison. :p:

And its because he loves it. :)

You may not like how steve vai's songs sound, but everything he does is intentional. His scales and the way he uses them gives him a unique sound. Maybe how perfect his technique is and the fact that it looks effortless for him makes it seem easy. But learn a vai song and you'll find that you are lacking as a guitar player. Anyone developed enough to play a steve vai song without disgracing your insrtument should be able to appreciate his technique and skills at the very least.

Welcome to the list of people who dont die if i get nuclear weapons.

sixteen times
02-15-2006, 03:32 PM
Threadstarter: you, sir, are an idiot.

Vai > Everyone > You.

If not for his technical ability alone, but for his IMO unparalelled (sp?) originality.

A true virtuoso.

Freepower
02-15-2006, 03:33 PM
^ hell yes. Vai is the pwn, and his ears are like Lane's fingers. Unbeatable.

sixteen times
02-15-2006, 03:37 PM
*Looks at a picture of Vai, more specifically at his ears*

*doesn't notice anything special*

*realises FP was talking about Vai's musical ear*

:p:

neocon58
02-16-2006, 12:32 AM
Repeating the last five pages, but anyhow:

Stop posting.

bat69420
02-16-2006, 12:37 AM
^ hell yes. Vai is the pwn, and his ears are like Lane's fingers. Unbeatable.

Yeah, the man hears everything, from the bass being the tiniest bit too mellow to his guitar being too loud.

RIP to this thread.

~1954~
02-16-2006, 08:22 AM
Damn, Damn! looks like i missed all the fun, i wanted to participate in this arguement.
I dont come on line for 2 days and i miss one of the finest displays of n00berey and verbal aresekicking over a post 3 lines long.

fleabass
02-19-2006, 11:41 AM
in his 10 hour workout Vai does every single scale and diatonic mode in 12 different tempos, i doubt you (threadstarter) could manage this....
Playing with no emotion, theres a new one.........+ he really does play with emotion....

paddyo
02-19-2006, 11:49 AM
^hOkayyy, let this die please:) All valid points have been made.

apocalypse13
02-19-2006, 01:35 PM
Haha I feel stupid now. I was wondering earlier how Resi stays "offline." He just uses invisible mode...

:(

I'm stupid.

paddyo
02-19-2006, 01:54 PM
^:haha.........yep. You are:p:

apocalypse13
02-19-2006, 05:18 PM
:sad:

Freepower
02-19-2006, 05:21 PM
*pat pat*

I always wonder how he has a little plus by his name.... :confused:

paddyo
02-19-2006, 05:25 PM
^:haha The + is for people on your buddy list! Jesus I hope you're joking.....Are you? :eek:

*Spotlight turns on Freepower*

apocalypse13
02-19-2006, 05:31 PM

*remembers that I'm just as stupid*

:(

Freepower
02-19-2006, 05:53 PM
Lol, i thought it was, but then another of my buddies didnt have it. Ah well. Now i need to find out why the OTHER guy didnt have one.

Damn you resi, first i lose to yngwie, now you!

Stratwizard
02-23-2006, 12:55 PM

Please tell me, how emotion can be overrated?

seljer
02-23-2006, 01:04 PM
Please tell me, how emotion can be overrated?

That it doesn't contain as much emotion as people say it does?

Though yes, Vai rocks, this thread is stupid, and so are those "does music contain emotion" flamewars

JackWhite1988
02-23-2006, 01:55 PM
I think I may be one of the few on this board that loves metal guitar AND blues guitar. I have to be in the mood for Vai. He's good but as good as his playing is, its almost not human. Like a rocket ship taking off or something, wankfest's can get old after awhile though.

Metal/shred I look up at Marty Friedman, Tipton/Downing, Schenker, Lynch, DiMartini and even a hint of the classically influenced Blackmore (who Yngwie Malmsteen modeled after)

Stratwizard
03-06-2006, 08:36 AM
"does music contain emotion"

No it doesn't. The musician and the listener does.

seljer
03-06-2006, 11:47 AM
No it doesn't. The musician and the listener does.

well yeah, of course I said those arguements about it are stupid, I'm going to quote The Who:

I'm singing this note 'cause it fits in well
With the chords I'm playing
I can't pretend there's any meaning here
Or in the things I'm saying

But I'm in tune
Right in tune

and then later in the song

I'm singing this note 'cause it fits in well
With the way I'm feeling
There's a symphony that I hear in your heart
Sets my head a-reeling

But I'm in tune
Right in tune
I'm in tune
And I'm gonna tune
Right in on you (right in on you)

:)

Ramihg
03-06-2006, 02:02 PM
Listen.. I dont like judging people by as soon as i hear anything from them but...
You sir, are an idiot. arent you the one that posted this?

Hello everyone. When I am trying to shred using power chords, my fingers start to slant to the right, and it's really bugging me. Can anyone help?

Heres the link btw: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=319003

Back to the point, you are in NO position to critisize one of the greatest guitar players. You obviously are just copy & pasting from a lessonand you do not know what the hell you're talking about.

Go shred some power-chords.. n00b

EDIT: Just read the whole thread.. too late.. sorry :p..

public property
03-06-2006, 11:30 PM
Steve vai sucks, hes too old

mr_clapton
03-07-2006, 01:22 AM
i hope your joking man^

mingles
03-07-2006, 01:58 AM
Steve vai sucks, hes too old

seriously. all he does is play power chords. He could at least learn a solo or two. What a hack. :p:

Mad Marius
03-07-2006, 02:32 AM
Yeah, who listens to Steve Vai anyway? Do you ever hear him on MTV? That's because he's not popular, and if an artist is not popular, that means his music sucks.

EDIT: It never ceases to amaze me how useful topics die and rot and only get 7 or so replies, and whenever some loser posts something completely dumb and shocking like "Steve Vai sucks!!1" "Satriani hates Malmsteen!!11" "Malmsteen is fat", bam! 100+ posts.

Freepower
03-07-2006, 03:59 AM
^ sad, isnt it? But there are some seriously worthwhile threads, and also gems of wisdom scattered around in even these crapholes.

Mr_Hyde
03-07-2006, 04:49 AM
blah blah blah....quite frankly no gives much of a fuuck what you think abotu vai. opinion...i coulnt care. so....why dont we all forget about this shiit topic and create somethign inspiring and worth typing huh? good ol chap.

wil
03-07-2006, 06:43 AM
How exactly does one define the term 'overrated'?
If you buy a music magazine--not a guitar one but one like Uncut, or Q etc--, chances are there'll be some article about Clapton, Hendrix, Slash, the Ramones, Keith Richards etc in there and while im not going to go as far to say these players are particularly overrated--and risk throwing more fuel on a fire that should have burned out by now--i was just wondering, in what respects is Steve Vai overrated?
By whom?
Is his legato playing overrated?
--Watched G3 live in Tokyo.... :eek:

Is his alternate picking overrated?
--Listens to Passion and Warfare.... :eek:

Is his style and technical ability overrated?
--Tries to play the Attitude Song.... :eek:

Well, what is it then?

'He overuses the lydian mode'---well, let's run him out of town with pitchforks and fire then, until he promises to forget all the theory he knows and promises to only use the pentatonic and blues scale.

' His use of the phrygian dominant sounds are dysfunctional'---do you even know what that means? How exactly can someone's music be said not to function properly? I dont understand...please, enlighten me...His use of the phrygian sounded fine to me, last I heard.

'In theory his playing is mediocre'--what? Do you mean 'in theory--as in. on paper--its mediocre or 'it's my theory that he's mediocre'? You really arent making much sense--I've heard better constructed arguments from a three year old, and im not joking.

Stratwizard
03-07-2006, 08:47 AM
^lol wil you pretty much pwned him. :p:

wil
03-07-2006, 09:16 AM
I think this guy must be a windup or something---if you thought his statement at the beginning of this thread was daft then...http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308928 think again...if the link doesnt work then check out a 'Closed' thread in Musician talk about the chord 'C'...

heavymetal13
03-07-2006, 10:17 AM
yamahano1... your a F****** idiot... you know **** about guitar... kinda obvious becuase you obvious play a yamaha.. real musicien there bud

priest.fan.
03-07-2006, 10:58 AM
^ who said yamahas are bad... :confused:

and this is the threadstarters myspace :haha :haha

http://www.myspace.com/slickvikmusic

Resiliance
03-07-2006, 11:24 AM
yamahano1... your a F****** idiot... you know **** about guitar... kinda obvious becuase you obvious play a yamaha.. real musicien there bud

Yamaha make great stuff.

Nice going, ****wad.

public property
03-07-2006, 11:25 AM
especially for a company that dosen't specialise in musical instruments but motor cycles....I actually only realised that their sign is a wheel recently, having owened a yamaha for over year :p:

wil
03-07-2006, 11:36 AM
I played a friends 150 yamaha pacifica and it stays in tune and plays better than a 400 mexican strat i played on---nothing wrong with Yamaha.

Stratwizard
03-07-2006, 12:17 PM

What's wrong with Yamaha dude? :confused:

RustyGold
03-07-2006, 04:16 PM
Meh. I'm not into Vai, his guitar playing...too flamboyant for my tastes...I'm more into neo-classical Malmsteen and Michael Romeo...

But Vai still rocks...

pentagram_man63
03-07-2006, 04:50 PM
Whoa...

Wait! What?!

You...you said...You said Steve Vai doesn't play with any emotion?!

WOW! I've never heard anyone say that about any shredder before!

:rolleyes:

Thanks for reeducating and liberating my mind, douchebag. :rolleyes:

EDIT- Hey, this is the same guy who says you can 'shred' with a powerchord! :haha
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=319003

Lol, I dont think this guy has a clue.

perpetual shred
03-07-2006, 05:11 PM
I played a friends 150 yamaha pacifica and it stays in tune and plays better than a 400 mexican strat i played on---nothing wrong with Yamaha.

yamaha pacificas are awesome guitars. imo probably the best guitars in their price range in the world.

Neon Knight
03-07-2006, 07:32 PM

:rolleyes: sperm-shitter

mexican_shred
03-07-2006, 07:34 PM
^ who said yamahas are bad... :confused:

and this is the threadstarters myspace :haha :haha

http://www.myspace.com/slickvikmusic
im glad someone else found it

vikramkr
03-07-2006, 09:14 PM
THIS WHOLE THREAD WAS A JOKE. GET OVER IT AND STOP FLAMING. I didn't know it would go this far...

Mad Marius
03-08-2006, 01:28 AM
^Better listen to him guys, he's "gangsta". Know what I'm sayin'? He'll bust a cap in yo' ass 'fore you can say "da hood".

fleabass
03-08-2006, 03:43 AM
lol /\

Stratwizard
03-08-2006, 06:27 AM
THIS WHOLE THREAD WAS A JOKE. GET OVER IT AND STOP FLAMING. I didn't know it would go this far...

Shut up dip****. Why shouldn't we flame you? You're ignorant rapper-wannabe, who makes retarded threads and has a crappy avatar.

wil
03-08-2006, 06:54 AM
A joke?-well, i guess you're right in some aspects---i dont know where you got your 'informed' comments about Vai's playing, but you didnt even sound convinced yourself, as well as using the most bizarre choice of words i've ever heard--i think people were going to a bit animated in their responses, dont you?? To many people--not really myself, but...---going into a shred forum and saying Vai is 'overrated' is not too dissimilar to walking into the Vatican and saying the Pope is 'overrated'-

vikramkr
03-08-2006, 12:50 PM
Shut up dip****. Why shouldn't we flame you? You're ignorant rapper-wannabe, who makes retarded threads and has a crappy avatar.

I acknowledge that I am not African-American in my raps (I rap about curry). I never knew that so many people would consider this thread as a serious one and waste their time flaming. Sorry, I don't have time to waste in Photoshop making cool Vai avatars for hours on end.

vikramkr
03-08-2006, 12:50 PM
^Better listen to him guys, he's "gangsta". Know what I'm sayin'? He'll bust a cap in yo' ass 'fore you can say "da hood".

;)

vikramkr
03-08-2006, 12:52 PM
A joke?-well, i guess you're right in some aspects---i dont know where you got your 'informed' comments about Vai's playing, but you didnt even sound convinced yourself, as well as using the most bizarre choice of words i've ever heard--i think people were going to a bit animated in their responses, dont you?? To many people--not really myself, but...---going into a shred forum and saying Vai is 'overrated' is not too dissimilar to walking into the Vatican and saying the Pope is 'overrated'-

Yeah my bad. I thought since it was a joke, people wouldn't throw hissy fits. This won't happen again.

flamencogod
03-08-2006, 01:37 PM
come on think about it

all over the world there must be thousands of so-called shredder... only a few are very popular (vai, satch, petrucci etc.) They are overrated!

Stratwizard
03-08-2006, 01:42 PM
Why are they overrated? If they're popular they must be doing something right.

Resiliance
03-08-2006, 02:11 PM
If they're popular they must be doing something right.

Don't be so sure of that.

Stratwizard
03-08-2006, 02:30 PM
^What do you mean?

flamencogod
03-08-2006, 02:46 PM
there are thousands of players you have never heard of who can play and compose at the level satch, vai etc. do, but those famous ones get 1 billion times as much credit for it so they are way overrated

Stratwizard
03-08-2006, 02:52 PM
It's stupid to say that someone is overrated because he's famous. It would be more reasonable to say that those unknown guitarists are underrated.

Resiliance
03-08-2006, 04:00 PM
^What do you mean?

That popularity should never EVER be taken as a sign of quality.

Stratwizard
03-09-2006, 01:49 AM
How do you define quality?

Axegrinder#9
03-09-2006, 02:18 AM
jesus **** this thread...

Sweetbabyjezuz
03-09-2006, 02:44 AM
How do you define quality?

By how well the person plays, not by their popularity.

If Steve Vai had 1 fan in the world, and it was me, i'd sit there and say "holy **** this is quality because this is some awesome playing".

If Steve Vai has the millions of fans he has now... i sit there and say "holy **** this is quality because this is some awesome playing".

not "You know..this is awesome, but everybody else knows who he is, so therefore, it's not awesome"

EDIT: Heh after reading the post it came across as angry towards Start, which is wasn't, I was just joining in on the convo w/ my personal view in relation to the other poster's comments, not Strats.

Brendan DEwald
03-09-2006, 03:30 AM
I think before u can say some sucks u have to be able to kick there ass at guitar and everything else . So i hope u can play everysingle of his songs and play it twice as fast and better. Peace out

fleabass
03-09-2006, 03:53 AM
I think before u can say some sucks u have to be able to kick there ass at guitar and everything else . So i hope u can play everysingle of his songs and play it twice as fast and better. Peace out

amen

~1954~
03-09-2006, 05:52 AM
Yeah my bad. I thought since it was a joke, people wouldn't throw hissy fits. This won't happen again.

Yeah, you sure made it sound like a joke with those coments about 'Over usage of the Lydian mode' and ' phygrian ... dysfunctional ... ' Whatever it was- Nice one. :rolleyes:

^And to the discussion above, Music is all a matter of taste- its not about how one person can be better because theyre faster or more complex- Thats sport. Do people think that Vai doesnt worry about how his music sounds, spends hours in the studio working on it and writing it.
It shouldn't be about 'You have to kick someones ass on guitar to say they suck' but music should be about taste- if you dont like they way something sounds, regardless of how good they are on their instrument, then, its perfectly alright to say so, surely?

Real Musicians need an audience- they need feedback- they need people to say what sounds good, what sounds bad etc.

Im not trying to say Vai sucks, because I like his music.

Stratwizard
03-09-2006, 08:44 AM
By how well the person plays, not by their popularity.

If Steve Vai had 1 fan in the world, and it was me, i'd sit there and say "holy **** this is quality because this is some awesome playing".

If Steve Vai has the millions of fans he has now... i sit there and say "holy **** this is quality because this is some awesome playing".

not "You know..this is awesome, but everybody else knows who he is, so therefore, it's not awesome"

EDIT: Heh after reading the post it came across as angry towards Start, which is wasn't, I was just joining in on the convo w/ my personal view in relation to the other poster's comments, not Strats.

Yes, I'd do that too. Allthough, there are people who say that about Slash, for example. Our opinions about the "quality" are not any better than the Slash fan's.

Resiliance
03-09-2006, 09:08 AM

Bull****.

vikramkr
03-09-2006, 10:21 PM
Yeah, you sure made it sound like a joke with those coments about 'Over usage of the Lydian mode' and ' phygrian ... dysfunctional ... ' Whatever it was- Nice one. :rolleyes:

^And to the discussion above, Music is all a matter of taste- its not about how one person can be better because theyre faster or more complex- Thats sport. Do people think that Vai doesnt worry about how his music sounds, spends hours in the studio working on it and writing it.
It shouldn't be about 'You have to kick someones ass on guitar to say they suck' but music should be about taste- if you dont like they way something sounds, regardless of how good they are on their instrument, then, its perfectly alright to say so, surely?

Real Musicians need an audience- they need feedback- they need people to say what sounds good, what sounds bad etc.

Im not trying to say Vai sucks, because I like his music.

Well from reading these forums I thought it was pretty obvious that everyone on these forums praises Steve Vai.

vikramkr
03-09-2006, 10:23 PM

That Brendan, is bull****. Are you saying that before you can judge a musician, you have to be better than that musician? Nonsense...

pavan
03-09-2006, 10:24 PM
oh man. Please stop.

~1954~
03-10-2006, 08:05 AM
Well from reading these forums I thought it was pretty obvious that everyone on these forums praises Steve Vai.

That may be so, but the point i was trying to make is that the praise should be for the sound of the music, not for the speed or how Complex and Technical it is, or that
he uses unusual Gregorian Modes or whatever.
In the same way that if you dont like someones music it should be more about that you dont like way the music sounds, not that they have overused the Lydian mode.

StickIt2DaMan
03-10-2006, 09:16 AM
It's stupid to say that someone is overrated because he's famous. It would be more reasonable to say that those unknown guitarists are underrated.

I agree when you look at it from more then just guitar playing like if you were to look at some peoples ability to market their music which I'm sure we all know is important in most all cases. And all the time they took to get where they are. I think if you put all those things into perspective then he is not overrated.

By the way I'll probably end up having to edit this at some point, because I guarntee I missed something that made me sound like an idiot

X-Boy
03-10-2006, 09:18 AM
The first thing i thought after reading the title was " **** YOU !! "

WeeGie
03-11-2006, 07:20 AM
Steve VaI & Every other guitarist alive > Threadstarter.

Gabuydachk
03-13-2006, 09:16 PM
and i suppose you can play faster, more creatively, and with better style than Steve Vai

Righteous
03-13-2006, 11:54 PM
going into a shred forum and saying Vai is 'overrated' is not too dissimilar to walking into the Vatican and saying the Pope is 'overrated'-

Wow, I was reading through this thread just now and I really want to sig that...

Stratwizard
03-14-2006, 09:51 AM
Just... just stop bumping this thread, will you? :rolleyes:

flame843
03-14-2006, 08:12 PM
Yeah, A7X ownz should close this one ;)

To threadstarter: If Steve Vai is overrated, then who isn't?

SGRocker0791
03-14-2006, 08:14 PM
Steve VaI & Every other guitarist alive > Threadstarter.

:cheers:

numbfig09
03-15-2006, 01:22 AM
True. But people are allowed to voice their opinions.

Except the thread creator. He just sucks a lot of sausauge.

:cheers: haha i like that....

but dude, wtf?....vai is God...listen to anything by him, there is emotion everywhere

esp1988
05-11-2006, 04:26 AM
u stuid idiot if u think steve vai is overrated then every guitarist in the world is overrated.
saying vai is overrated is as stupid as saying micahelangelo is not all that fast.

Stratwizard
05-11-2006, 08:50 AM
u stuid idiot if u think steve vai is overrated then every guitarist in the world is overrated.
saying vai is overrated is as stupid as saying micahelangelo is not all that fast.

Was that post really necessary? You bumped a completely needless thread. Besides, you're so pathetic with all the spelling errors and bad grammar that you couldn't even properly flame the dumbass, who started the thread.

You know what? Just go and make a ****ing harakiri.