The ONLY Sublime Thread

PDA

View Full Version : The ONLY Sublime Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

HiImKindaNewAnd
08-28-2008, 09:29 PM
Sublime, whether they are punk/ska or not (I don't think they are, but I don't really care that much) suck.
This.
The only people I know that actually like them are stoners and frat boys (they're pretty much the same thing, I know).

Iluvpowerchords
08-28-2008, 10:19 PM
I like Sublime.

They made good songs.

Though the lyrics are, at times, pretty terrible.

neidnarb11890
08-28-2008, 10:22 PM
I don't like Sublime.
But then this is a thread to discuss Sublime, so I really have no place here.

*leaves*

lolmnt
08-28-2008, 11:25 PM
The song Seed rawks.

I used to be a Sublime fanboy, not so much now.

rank-n-file
08-30-2008, 12:15 AM
I don't like Sublime.

*leaves*

Oh wow thanks heaps dude.

This band rules, 40oz. To Freedom is soooo good.

vartanspartan
08-30-2008, 03:04 AM
Sublime have some really good songs but I think overall they're pretty overrated.

bman10030
09-20-2008, 10:47 PM
every band thats ever used distortion used a lot of power chords. but im not gonna argue with the other stuff you said because thats subjective and your not right or wrong, because its opinion.

but please, learn to spell the word "suck"
Krist Novaselic wasn't a bad bassist. At least his tone was sweet.

But listen to his bass lines, they're alright.

lavazza
09-21-2008, 07:04 AM
I don't like Sublime.

*leaves*

I love you.....should we find the next TomTom Club?

blocky
10-29-2008, 12:52 AM
my favourite song is the live version of burritos sometimes labelled as "Fighting Blindly" that opens with brad declaring "this is the drunkest I've ever been... but I think I'm gonna play one of my favorite songs..." and then somethinga bout duct tape
just love the sound of the song, even if its not as technical as the album version
thoughts?

psychokandy
10-31-2008, 12:11 PM
I like Sublime (what I've heard anyways), my fav song is 40oz to Freedom :).

Dollparts_lana
11-01-2008, 02:57 AM
Sublime are definatly one of my most favourite bands!!! Brads voice is the strongest most beautiful instrument....Man... what a loss...

But I tell ya, Sublime aren't a band who will fade away. They're iconic I reckon
Sublime is the best summer music :)

Hardknocks
11-03-2008, 09:39 PM
Dude, I bet finding a single Sublime bootleg would make you rich. Sublime rules. They had the best albums of the 1990s and were a fresh breath of air, compared to grunge(Not that grunge was bad, grunge rocked, but Sublime was also different.) They really pushed the boundaries of the reggae sound touched upon by the Police and other bands, but they're actually much more fun than the Police and are very street-wise. There's something about their music that is still entertaining, even today.

Are there legal places for hearing Sublime demos, or, Bootlegs?

jimmyjimbo72
11-15-2008, 09:38 AM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=999611

Woozye
11-17-2008, 06:37 PM
Sublime is great :p: just wanted to be part of the thread

Holy.
11-29-2008, 12:59 AM
I'd just like to clear up some confusion.

Sublime is NOT a ska band. A lot of people I've met label them as a ska band for some odd reason. Yes, there are some ska'ish songs, but a majority of Sublimes songs are reggae and punk.

*breathes*

Ok, I feel better now.

Evanm888
11-29-2008, 03:18 PM
Santeria is the first song i leaned to play all the way through, as in note for note. I don't think sublime will ever fade, seeing as they are still popular today. I think sublime will undergo the Hendrix-effect: people will be wearing their shirts and listening to their albums 30 years from now.

-O_O-
12-14-2008, 11:08 PM
Does anyone have ANY idea what the song Had A Dat is about? I've read the lyrics several times and still do not know.

Holy.
01-06-2009, 12:01 AM
Does anyone have ANY idea what the song Had A Dat is about? I've read the lyrics several times and still do not know.
I always thought it was about stress on the road/playing.

I saw a comment on a website one day and I thought this dudes comment was somewhat right:

"This song explain how Brad felt living his life on the stage. His life was a show; exaggeration, lies, that's why he felt so bad. But then comes the sweet reggae music, where he can find a piece of happiness saving him from turning crazy."

Either way though, the song is badass.

the glue man
01-07-2009, 04:09 AM

Sublime is NOT a ska band. A lot of people I've met label them as a ska band for some odd reason. Yes, there are some ska'ish songs, but a majority of Sublimes songs are reggae and punk.

*breathes*

Ok, I feel better now.

They hardly have any punk songs either, and when they do they sound like Bad Religion or the Descendents (not that it's really a bad thing). They even covered both bands' songs.

Jaguarman
01-12-2009, 04:03 PM
wow i just pulled out robbin' the hood for the first time in forever and i think i enjoy lincoln highway dub even more than the real santeria

rasveer
01-12-2009, 09:06 PM

*breathes*

Ok, I feel better now.
this man speaks the truth

pbiggie
01-19-2009, 07:20 AM

*breathes*

Ok, I feel better now.
I think they also have lots of hiphop influences.

Who else has the tribute to sublime CD?

My favourites are jack johnsons cover of badfish/boss dj and greyboy allstars version of doin time

Holy.
01-27-2009, 12:38 AM
They hardly have any punk songs either, and when they do they sound like Bad Religion or the Descendents (not that it's really a bad thing). They even covered both bands' songs.
No your right, they didn't have a lot of their own punk songs. All of their other punk songs are covers, which isn't bad thing.

Actually, looking from their three studio albums, I think they have only 5 of their own fully punk songs. The rest are covers or partial punk.

Nirvatallica
04-06-2009, 06:17 PM
yea ok eric was a great basssit and bud was a great drummer and brad was awsome. nirvanas bassist suked and so did there drummer kurt cobain songs sucked and all he used was gay power cords and grunge crap. nirvana was alrite but if you really look at them they suk.Dave Grohl is easily in the top 10 drummers of all time. And you sound like you're still in middle school talking like that.

DisgruntledDuck
04-08-2009, 07:42 AM
Maybe it's just a different culture in the UK, but I don't associate Sublime with annoying "frat boys" or stoners. In fact, I remember a time I was smoking up with people and I suggested Sublime as music to listen to; we listened to "Santeria" in harmony, but when I put on "Smoke Two Joints" I was called a cliche. That hurt. I think it helps that Sublime really aren't as well known here; I always get a kick out of introducing people to the band and normally people really like what they hear.

They made some really decent music that was at peace with itself and the world around it. Awesome to listen to whether or not you smoke weed or not.

Current Top 5:

1. 40 oz to Freedom
2. Doin' Time
3. April 29, 1992 (Miami)
4. Same In The End
5. What Happened

SKAtastic7770
04-29-2009, 02:23 PM
I don't think sublime is that good. I feel a need to express my opinion and hope that I'm not the only one. I mean some of there songs are great but feel that half of their stuff is garbage. Maybe its because songs like Santeria and 40 oz. to freedom are so good that people don't really question their other material, but I find that there are many other ska, or punk groups that consistently make better music.

Teeth2483
04-29-2009, 07:59 PM
Who else has the tribute to sublime CD?

Not me. But I saw Fishbone the other week and they played Date Rape.

So...damn...good.

Italy's Finest
04-30-2009, 10:30 AM
Sublime is awesome man lol all guitarists should practice and listen to bradley's epic stylee. As for comparing him to kurt cobain, that guy is so depressing, honestly... id rather listen to bradley anyday. In one of bradley songs .. he even says "I'd never commit suicide."

clincher09
05-29-2009, 10:09 PM
I needed someone to shed some light on the song What I Got for me. I downloaded the album version and today I heard a version on the radio that sounded really different. It still sounds like Sublime but alot of the song is different and it is sung differently.

amorebelladonna
06-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Sublime is awesome man lol all guitarists should practice and listen to bradley's epic stylee. As for comparing him to kurt cobain, that guy is so depressing, honestly... id rather listen to bradley anyday. In one of bradley songs .. he even says "I'd never commit suicide."

Kurt always said he would never commit suicide.

Airace20
06-07-2009, 02:39 AM
Haha awesome! I was listening to Caress Me Down when i stumbled across this thread. Great music, i love chillin to it. Rip Brad.

occub
06-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Love this band, I live and grew up in Garden Grove.... first time I heard the song in High School I thought it was the coolest thing ever, the album was a soundtrack to my younger days. If I could only take one CD to a deserted island it would be 40 oz to Freedom..

S_U_B_L_I_M_E
06-07-2009, 08:56 PM
I love Sublime, always have, always will. But one thing that urkes me is when people are like "Sublimeis my favorite band in the world!!!!!!!!!!" and what are the only songs they know? Caress Me Down, Badfish, and Santeria..... Now I'm not saying those songs suck, Badfish is a damn good song, but I believe if your going to get into a band you should atleast listen to their underground ****. Not just their popular ****.

Now, back on topic. I think Sublime is the best band in the universe. I listen to them all day, everyday. I dont think ill need to listen to another band. Back in the day, me and my buds would get real baked and play/listen to Sublime. It still brings back memories when I listen to Scarlet Begonias, Everytime I hear Waiting For My Ruca, I think of the first time i got high, The first time i ever heard Sublime. I wouldve never started playing the bass if it werent for Erics baddass bass lines. Damn I Love Them, RIP Brad and Lou Dog :'(

ripdime04
09-01-2009, 08:33 PM
sublime is so ****ing good. best band to put on when your just blazing. nothing like tokin up with some close pals and listening to sublime

JAHellraiser
10-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Bump time! So, how does everyone feel about the 'reunion' that recently happened?

Rancid Ivy
10-28-2009, 06:53 PM
Bump time! So, how does everyone feel about the 'reunion' that recently happened?
Apparently, Brad trademarked sublime so that only HE could play/be in a band called Sublime.

Now their getting legal troubles and maybe their gunna need to change name.

JAHellraiser
10-28-2009, 07:19 PM
Apparently, Brad trademarked sublime so that only HE could play/be in a band called Sublime.

Now their getting legal troubles and maybe their gunna need to change name.
Oh really? Didn't know that. Of course I'm not really concerned about the name, but moreso the tunes :p:

Rancid Ivy
10-28-2009, 07:48 PM
Oh really? Didn't know that. Of course I'm not really concerned about the name, but moreso the tunes :p:
yeah, me too, but it'd be funny to hear a band called something toehr then Sublime say their playing an original, then play Santeria or whatever :P

JAHellraiser
10-28-2009, 09:22 PM
yeah, me too, but it'd be funny to hear a band called something toehr then Sublime say their playing an original, then play Santeria or whatever :P
:haha: yeah that's true. I just hope that if they make new music that it doesnt blow up in their face and either makes them "sell-outs" or "have-beens for trying to recreate the only part of their career that was successful"

daytripper75
11-03-2009, 03:16 AM
I think if the band wants to get back together they need to try something new. Don't just try to recreate what the band was. Change the name, play a few Sublime songs live, but mostly focus on writing new material.

nashawa
11-03-2009, 03:23 AM
I agree. Sublime is what it is, and I'm pretty certain that trying to recreate it would tarnish its legacy.

Holy.
11-06-2009, 09:20 PM
So I listened to that Rome guy on Youtube - he's not bad. I think the whole situation of two original band members playing with a dude they excepted as good is pretty interesting, but being an avid Sublime fan, I don't know how long my respect will last for them.

I hope Bud and Eric will man-up and change the name of the band, they got themselves into something they should have seen WAY up the road to the "reunion".

Punx Rox
11-06-2009, 10:00 PM
ya sublime is key, does anyone on UG play sublime and what do you do to get brad nowell's tone? peace

i get a good sublime tone with my SG and a mild distortion and a little reverb. the SG's humbuckers gimme a nice chunky tone, i think it sounds better than the strat type sound brad uses.

peace out and keep it real listenin to sublime

:rasta:

Rancid Ivy
12-31-2009, 02:26 PM
TIME TO REVIVE THIS THREAD WOO!!!!! :D :D

I'm falling in love with Sublime all over again for some reason :)
What do you guys think about them reuniting without Brad?

Gnomefry
12-31-2009, 04:44 PM
^He was a major part of the band. Not so much a good idea. Before his death, Bud and Eric acknowledged that Brad Nowell was the sole owner of the name Sublime. They should use a different name. Things like that can ruin a bands name, like Smashing Pumpkins. Billy Corgan's a douche.:shrug:

Anyway, I've been hooked on Garden Grove and Smoke Two Joints for some reason lately.

Rancid Ivy
12-31-2009, 05:17 PM
^He was a major part of the band. Not so much a good idea. Before his death, Bud and Eric acknowledged that Brad Nowell was the sole owner of the name Sublime. They should use a different name. Things like that can ruin a bands name, like Smashing Pumpkins. Billy Corgan's a douche.:shrug:

Anyway, I've been hooked on Garden Grove and Smoke Two Joints for some reason lately.

I know, I wouldn't mind though if they started a NEW band, kinda like a...sublime continuation or something like that? Kinda like what Foo Fighters woulda been if Krist of Nirvana woulda joined Dave in it...if you know what I mean haha

BTW, do you guys know how I can get a sweet sublime bass tone?

JAHellraiser
04-08-2011, 01:26 AM
Jeez this needs a bump.

RockThe40oz
04-08-2011, 07:15 AM
We were all kinda happy to let it drift off into the depths of the forum.

lolmnt
04-08-2011, 06:01 PM
I can't believe I used to love this band passionately. Oh sixteen year olds.

RockThe40oz
04-08-2011, 06:53 PM
The first few pages of this thread are hilarious.

greenday2003
04-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Whats the deal with that new icon release, is it like the tracks re-done or what?? Im to lazy to google it!!

brohl
05-14-2011, 08:40 PM
Awful.
gtfo.

Iluvpowerchords
05-14-2011, 08:46 PM
:haha

That comment is like 5 years old.

Iluvpowerchords
05-14-2011, 09:03 PM
This thread has made me nostalgic though.

I can't believe I used to love this band passionately. Oh sixteen year olds.

i kno rite?!

I guess their music isn't really atrocious but the lyrics are really something only someone in their early to mid teens could fall for.

It's kinda cool to look at the music I used to listen to back then and see what has aged well though. I still had pretty good taste back then. I was waaaaaaay into Ted Leo then and that shit still kicks copious ass. "Me and Mia" got better as I got older. I didn't even know what it was about then.

Tom Waits aged similarly.

And then I think about stuff like Black Flag and The Dead Kennedys and how much I liked them and how I don't even listen to them anymore.

Especially DK. I probably have not listened to one of their songs since I hit college.

Also I used to like Ween.

Let's make this thread worth the space it is occupying by talking about the evolution of our listening habits!!!

neidnarb11890
05-15-2011, 12:08 AM
I used to listen to a lot of punk. Go figure.

iwannabesedated
05-15-2011, 01:35 AM
I'm still curious why Sublime is here. I always thought of them as Raggae/Alternative, not really ska or punk.

iwannabesedated
05-15-2011, 01:36 AM
My listening habits don't move in a straight line. They go in cycles. I do a week or two of hardcore, then a week or two of 60s rock, then a week or two of the Stooges and MC5, etc.

Then there are groups that I never tire of like Nirvana, Local H, Black Flag, REM, The Ramones, Mudhoney, The Melvins, etc. I also listen to them in cycles I guess, but I'm more likely to break them out even when I'm listening to other stuff.

neidnarb11890
05-15-2011, 01:41 AM
then a week or two of 60s rock, then a week or two of the Stooges and MC5, etc.
:confus:

FirstCall
05-15-2011, 02:05 AM
How can you not like Sublime honestly.

lolmnt
05-15-2011, 11:14 AM
How can you not like Sublime honestly.They aren't good.

due 07
05-15-2011, 12:18 PM
How can you like Sublime honestly.

I ask myself this every day.

Robbin'TheHood
05-15-2011, 12:24 PM
I ask myself this every day.

Why are you posting in this forum if you don't like them? It's kind've a retarded waste of your time.

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g415/NaiveMelody/NOyouDidnt.gif

SuperBlob
05-15-2011, 12:38 PM
It's kind've a retarded waste of your time.
...that's the first time I've ever seen anyone get that wrong that way around.

What the hell.

welchmann
05-15-2011, 01:04 PM
Lets get this going http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0shW8_5hVVI
Sublime with Rome thoughts

Mr Pringle
05-15-2011, 08:45 PM
Lets get this going http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0shW8_5hVVI
Sublime with Rome thoughts

Well, I was a bit skeptical when I found out about the whole reincarnation thing, however i've kinda grown towards it and am now embracing it with open arms. I think it would be great to see them live and i'm keen for the new album.

due 07
05-15-2011, 08:59 PM
Why are you posting in this forum if you don't like them? It's kind've a retarded waste of your time.

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g415/NaiveMelody/NOyouDidnt.gif
I find it interesting. Same reason I like to research serial killers.

jakesmellspoo
05-16-2011, 09:19 PM
I find it interesting. Same reason I like to research serial killers.

serial killers are awesome! (to research) i wanna see that albert fish movie

JAHellraiser
07-16-2011, 05:16 AM
Well I'm kinda disappointed with the Sublime with Rome album. They nail the ska/reggae feel and laid back vibe, but it's really, really missing that heavy punk element that they originally had. I guess theres nothing much you can do...RIP Brad and Lou Dog

due 07
07-16-2011, 07:01 AM
serial killers are awesome! (to research) i wanna see that albert fish movieI'm like two months late on this reply, but there's an Albert Fish movie? I don't usually pay attention to the current film climate, since I don't watch much movies. But this sounds interesting.

jakesmellspoo
07-16-2011, 12:05 PM
I'm like two months late on this reply, but there's an Albert Fish movie? I don't usually pay attention to the current film climate, since I don't watch much movies. But this sounds interesting.
yeah, it's on netflix instant watch if you have access to an account. first read about that psycho in this college serial killer book my aunt's fiance has. had this really cool drawing of him and his hallucinations of jesus on the cross

due 07
07-16-2011, 12:23 PM
Cool. I guess today I'll finally try and figure out how to work my parents' Netflix.

amosrock
07-23-2011, 04:27 PM
Well I'm kinda disappointed with the Sublime with Rome album. They nail the ska/reggae feel and laid back vibe, but it's really, really missing that heavy punk element that they originally had. I guess theres nothing much you can do...RIP Brad and Lou Dog

I haven't listened to the album yet. I've only heard Panic and Can You Feel It. Both songs I love. Hoping to check the album soon. Most of the reviews I've read have said similar things to what you said. Honestly that intrigues me the most. My favorite Sublime stuff is the ska/reggae stuff.

I really think Rome's voice is perfect for the style. Very similar to Bradley Nowell. They did a great job with finding someone who would fit in well.

Portobello_Road
08-01-2011, 03:57 PM
My band wrote a tribute song to Bradley Nowell. Super sick, if you are interested in listening to it you can check it out here...

www.portobelloroadmusic.com

The song is titled Space Oddity. I have been a sublime fan since I don't know when!

kylepianoman
08-19-2011, 01:41 PM
If any of you don't have a hard copy for the Sublime self-titled CD, on amazon for the rest of August it's only 5 dollars which is an awesome deal.

http://www.amazon.com/Sublime-Explicit/dp/B000W02060/ref=br_lf_m_1000371251_1_8_img?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&pf_rd_p=1313128622&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000371251&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1YPGRQ5XDNZGJ4QXSKPS