Angus Young Amp Settings?

PDA

View Full Version : Angus Young Amp Settings?

W4T3V3R
02-19-2006, 01:21 PM
What kinda settings does Angus use for songs such as Highway to Hell, Back in Black, they sound similar. Or what is his general settings for Gain/Treble/Middle/Reverb ect.??????

guitarfan93
02-19-2006, 08:04 PM
he turn his treble up and overdrives it to get a very crunchy soun for back in black and he keeps the reverb down

EVH_5150
02-19-2006, 08:06 PM
Gear and Accessories -> Amp setting thread

_5150_
02-19-2006, 09:34 PM
if u want to get close to his sound .... i would say what guitar fan said... u want a overdrive but not alot and dry it up a bit turn the reverb off if u want to get that sound bad enought to pay some money for it well here is somthing u can do . u can just get a ibanez tube screamer ts10 i think and try that or get a peavy bandit 112 which is what i got besides the 5150. the bandit is very veristaleby the way ... but turn the pre gain on 8 or 10 and put it on the vintage thing and and low on 4 mids maybe on 1 hah and 10 on the highs.. presense and everything on 10and renoces is lose ... and thats how i get that sound :D btw my nobs are all jacked up but thats what i got it set on and it sounds just like it

phobos
02-20-2006, 12:50 AM
if u want to get close to his sound .... i would say what guitar fan said... u want a overdrive but not alot and dry it up a bit turn the reverb off if u want to get that sound bad enought to pay some money for it well here is somthing u can do . u can just get a ibanez tube screamer ts10 i think and try that or get a peavy bandit 112 which is what i got besides the 5150. the bandit is very veristaleby the way ... but turn the pre gain on 8 or 10 and put it on the vintage thing and and low on 4 mids maybe on 1 hah and 10 on the highs.. presense and everything on 10and renoces is lose ... and thats how i get that sound :D btw my nobs are all jacked up but thats what i got it set on and it sounds just like it
1 on the mids sounds a little bodyless, no? i dunno if the Peavey's much different than other amps (though i DO know that the solid state Peavey's need to crank up the pre-gain to get more crunch), but the best setting for me is a 4-5 low, 4-6 mid, 7-9 high, if there's a presence setting then that at 6-8. unless you have a Marshall stack, then fives all around usually does it, with a slight boost in the highs. in either case, set gain to preference after using those settings.

and yeah, this is in the wrong forum, but no harm done. just make sure you put this in the right thread next time.

W4T3V3R
02-20-2006, 04:53 AM
Cool thanks, i already have some Peavey Amps anyway so i'll check em out.!

seljer
02-20-2006, 05:12 AM
try something like
gain: 5
mids and treble: 10
bass: 2

nothing else, just vintage Marshalls and his Gibson SG

Slash Jr.
02-20-2006, 09:28 AM
I just do this:

Treble: 7

Bass: 4

Mid: 5

Gain: 5

Reverb: 2

However, much of AC/DC's tone is Malcoms, Angus's and Malcoms tones are SIGNIFICANTLY different.

GibsonSGROCK!
04-14-2009, 12:33 PM
What kinda settings does Angus use for songs such as Highway to Hell, Back in Black, they sound similar. Or what is his general settings for Gain/Treble/Middle/Reverb ect.??????
maybe gain 5/6 bass 5 treble 6 middle 6 and reverb at 7/8

/-\liceNChains
04-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Yea dont abuse the gain. Lots of gain doesnt sound good for the open chord riffs. ^I wouldnt use much reverb either 7 or 8 sounds like way to much.

willieturnip
04-16-2009, 02:30 PM
You can't just have amp settings. They rarely translate to other rigs, if not never.

goony
04-16-2009, 06:18 PM
I just turn everything to 7. Master volume included.

Xolus500
01-04-2012, 03:41 PM
I have a Marshall G30r CD and I did this, sounds pretty cool:
Contour: 0
Treble: 6-7

Xolus500
01-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Reverb: 0

GaryBillington
01-04-2012, 04:17 PM
However, much of AC/DC's tone is Malcoms, Angus's and Malcoms tones are SIGNIFICANTLY different.
This is the most important thing to remember about AC/DC in ANY conversation, not just when you're talking amp settings.

As far as I'm concerned, Malcolm is the true force behind the band and Angus would be completely lost without him.

pachap
01-04-2012, 09:58 PM
This is the most important thing to remember about AC/DC in ANY conversation, not just when you're talking amp settings.

As far as I'm concerned, Malcolm is the true force behind the band and Angus would be completely lost without him.

I am not some sold out AC/DC fanboy, but I have to say you are right on. Malcolm is a very good musician. Sometimes it is more about "what not to play", as opposed to "what to play."

I remember a guitar mag I used to read would have diagrams of rigs that famous musicians used on the back page. It would always be mind-boggling. Guitar to splitter to this rack of effects to this amp, other split to this different rack, with pedal effects the tech actuated because this "awesome" guitarist can't work his own pedal-board and play at the same time.

One issue they did Angus. Guitar -> Cable -> Amp. Got a good laugh out of it.

GaryBillington
01-05-2012, 03:00 PM
I think I've seen similar articles to that over the years!

Didn't he also get listed as the No. 1 most under-rated guitarist in an article on UG a while ago?

MatrixClaw
01-05-2012, 03:14 PM
I have a Marshall G30r CD and I did this, sounds pretty cool:
Contour: 0
Treble: 6-7
And you felt the need to bump a nearly 3 year old thread for this, why? :confused: