Pedals and Settings for Pink Floyd tone

PDA

View Full Version : Pedals and Settings for Pink Floyd tone

Playdoh14
02-20-2006, 12:37 AM
Im wondering what type of pedals or amplifier settings are good for a pink floyd/ david gilmour sound. If yall know what type of pedals he used... or you use to achieve that sound, Id be very appreciative of the insight. Thanks.

Playdoh

TreeOfHalfLife
02-20-2006, 12:42 AM
david gilmour used soooooooo many pedals through out pink floyd and solo albums...he said now that he uses an arrangement of boss pedals and from the concert dvd his midi board, and a volume pedal...he had custom amps and custom old strats but he said that hes been using stock amps and stock strats for recent...dont know what kind of amps though..not really much help...but best guess would probally be strat, boss pedals like overdrive or light dist. through a fender tube amp

GuitarPlayinSmi
02-20-2006, 01:00 AM
He also uses EMG pickups as well, that's a factor in his sound.

Playdoh14
02-20-2006, 01:04 AM
how does he get that real fuzzy sound, that rounds off the notes and makes them all see to merge...

JayJayE
02-20-2006, 04:37 AM
For starters

Big Muff
MXR Phase 90
a good echo (try Boss DD-6 or Ibanez DE-7)
a good chorus (Small Clone, although hes never used one, is good)
a Uni-Vibe

plus

a Strat w/ single coils
a good clean Britsh style amp sound (low gain, eq bass 3, mids 9-10, treble 7-8)

a said above he uses soooo many pedals, but these are the most important I feel

JayJayE
02-20-2006, 04:39 AM
He also uses EMG pickups as well, that's a factor in his sound.

true but he's only been using them recently. A typical Strat with stock pickups should be fine, since thats what he used until the 90's and I personally prefer his "classic" 70's sound.

seljer
02-20-2006, 05:09 AM
guitars are Fender Strats, any vintage type singlecoils will do, or nowdays those EMG SAs he has

amps are something with a lot of headroom: Hiwatt (he even has a sig. model with them) or you can just try something like a Fender Twin Reverb (he used them quiet a bit in the studio)

distortion (well fuzz) in many solos:
for everything up to Dark Side of the Moon it was a Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face
for everything from Wish You Were Here and onwards it was a EHX Big Muff Pi

otherstuff:
a nice delay pedal of some sorts (he had tape delays)
an MXR Phase 90 or other phaser (since he got bored of carrying those leslie cabinets all the time)
a Univibe (which is also a phaser)
some kind of chorus pedal

and he had a clean boost pedal turned on practically all the time (he doesn't use it anymore with the EMGs however)

as for amp settings: crank the mids and treble, cut the bass, add a bit of reverb

bradbradbrad
02-20-2006, 05:13 AM
From the Settings Thread:
David Gilmour
Bass: 10
Middle: 6.5
Treble: 10
Gain: 1.5

or

Gain-2-3
Treble- 7-8
Mids- 9-10
Bass- 5-6
Reverb- 60-70%

robmarsden01
02-20-2006, 08:19 AM
Seljer pretty much said it all- a strat, fuzz, compression (he used heaps of it, both live and in the studio), a clean boost and some delay are all pretty much essential for his sound. Make sure you boost those mids as well!

StuC
02-20-2006, 08:25 AM
Just to add to things, throughout his carreer in pink floyd, he used HiWatt amps. I dunno what models though.
:cheers: Stu

EJ NL
02-20-2006, 02:28 PM
http://www.gilmourish.com

All you need...

JJK
02-20-2006, 03:43 PM
http://www.gilmourish.com

All you need...

Beat me to it. :)

Gutch220
02-26-2006, 10:47 AM
Just to add to things, throughout his carreer in pink floyd, he used HiWatt amps. I dunno what models though.
:cheers: Stu

DR103's