"ONLY" Led Zeppelin Thread

PDA

View Full Version : "ONLY" Led Zeppelin Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89

jono034
02-20-2006, 03:43 AM
here we go. . . blah blah blah!

no spam, no zep threads outside of this one.

:peace:

CheckOutSerafin
02-20-2006, 04:16 AM
Allright then...

To start, what is your favorate album?

Diceman42
02-20-2006, 04:23 AM
here we go. . . blah blah blah!

no spam, no zep threads outside of this one.

we could have done with a classier introduction to the ONLY zep thread EVER.
i mean werent they all about the style and the class?

and fav album = all cept presence. that album is no good in the middle. and maybe coda... its really uninspired.

DieN
02-20-2006, 09:40 AM
3rd reply, yay!
I "discovered" Led Zeppelin this winter. Now I own the first 5 albums.
My favourite is Led Zeppelin 2 followed by 3 and HotH. :)

Stula1031
02-20-2006, 10:13 AM
OK since this is a post on the first page I have decided to make it an FAQ. This is to solve all of the common and stupid questions people ask about Zeppelin so we can refer newbies to it when they ask them. If you want to add something to this PM me.

Where can I hear the backward messages on Stairway?

Jeff Milner was one of the first people to post it on the Internet her is his site:
http://jeffmilner.com/backmasking.htm

Are they real?

Well that?s a matter of opinion. In my opinion it's something unintentional and it's your mind playing ticks on you. Here is where I got that idea. This is a letter that was written to Jeff Milner: http://jeffmilner.com/?p=663.

It could be real. It could not be real. Nobody knows for sure. Nobody will probably ever know.

What's all this about Led Zeppelin being thieves?

Well, the members of Led Zeppelin were big on the blues and a lot of their most famous songs are uncredited covers or versions of old blues songs.

Some of them we are positive they 'stole" (I.E. Whole Lotta Love, Since I've been Loving You)

Some of them are similar and/or different versions of the songs (Dazed and Confused, Babe I'm gonna leave you)

Some are suspected but not positively "stolen" (Opening riff to Stairway, Black Dog song structure)

Others are original (Kashmir, No Quarter,)

Where can I here the original songs?

Here are the suspected songs:

http://www.led-zeppelin.org/multimedia/index.php?m=roots

These are just clips. Make your own judgment on whether or not they stole

I'll add more later I just thought this could be useful.

OMGIZZLEZ
02-20-2006, 10:27 AM
my favorite album by them is III . I adore Gallowes Pole.

Stula1031
02-20-2006, 10:30 AM
^Me too I don't own three but I have heard every song off of t. It's on my most wanted list:p:

III is there best album next to PG. i don't care what anyone says. Then I guess my third favorite is IIII just cus it has all the classic stuff on it.

haveaniceday233
02-20-2006, 10:36 AM
lll is awesome i also love the BBC sessions thats so awesome

Stula1031
02-20-2006, 10:39 AM
^ I've only heard some of the BBC stuff but from what I did hear its awsome.

OMGIZZLEZ
02-20-2006, 10:46 AM
i dont have III either, i ordered it though, should come soon, i have some songs from it on my mp3 though. BBC stuff rules.

FreddieMercury
02-20-2006, 11:21 AM
good i dont have to listen to any more of that thief in other threads

Derigiberble
02-20-2006, 11:35 AM
euch.......

ok one post and thats me done, i'll leave you all to cry away about l3D z3PpL1n!!11oneone all you wish.

Personally, i find them bland and boring but can understand why people would be interested in them from a musical perspective (if you like heavy overdriven slushed out solos and screaching vocals).

Anyway, basically, i can't post in here no more because I know it will just turn into a MASSIVE Page slamming thread for me where everyone gets annoyed at me because Page is an arse blah blah blah..........

So have fun ;) and PLEASE DONT POST ABOUT THEM IN OTHER THREADS :peace:

yEsTeRdAy`
02-20-2006, 12:56 PM
My favorite album of theirs is Led Zeppelin 2. Next would be 3.

:liplick:

FreddieMercury
02-20-2006, 01:10 PM
my favorite songs are the one that the original song writers had before they were stolen

Stula1031
02-20-2006, 01:14 PM
^ I like them too. Some old blues songs though are a little too slow for me but I do like the original You Shook Me and You Need Love. They are both great songs.

BTW we ALL know Zeppelins stole lyrics. but let it be known they were deffinetly not the only band who ripped off the blues. Besides the lyrics they ripped weren't even great to begin with.

Iruleeverything
02-20-2006, 02:30 PM
euch.......

ok one post and thats me done, i'll leave you all to cry away about l3D z3PpL1n!!11oneone all you wish.

Personally, i find them bland and boring but can understand why people would be interested in them from a musical perspective (if you like heavy overdriven slushed out solos and screaching vocals).

Anyway, basically, i can't post in here no more because I know it will just turn into a MASSIVE Page slamming thread for me where everyone gets annoyed at me because Page is an arse blah blah blah..........

that was uncharacteristic, where's the page bashing your known for :p:

anyway my favorite album would have to be the box set because thats what I have for led zeppelin, it has most of there songs but they don't put them in the order of which album they are on.

TimiHendrix33
02-20-2006, 03:29 PM
My favorite Led Zep albums are:

1. IV
2. I
3. HotH
4. II
5. III

On the whole "Page steals" thing,I don't think he stole that much,he just used some popular blues riffs that could be confused with other songs.

Diceman42
02-20-2006, 03:51 PM
euch.......

Led Zeppelin is overdriven sludge?! what the hell do you listen to?? Remi Shand?

EDIT: i find it interesting how his name is basically Derigible, which is basically another name for the Zeppelins.

TimiHendrix33
02-20-2006, 04:19 PM
Alright,I want to learn a Led Zeppelin solo. Which one?

musicmatchbox18
02-20-2006, 04:21 PM
I love the BBC sessions...

taxman27
02-20-2006, 04:23 PM
^I also find it interesting that David Lee Roth is in his avatar, even though he just condemned heavy overdriven solos and screeching vocals. But anyway. My personal favorite is Physical Grafitti, though I still don't have the self-titled one, which could take over.

DownDark
02-20-2006, 04:24 PM
my favorite song from III has to be Out On The Tiles. I just LOVE the chorus!

jono034
02-20-2006, 04:57 PM

What? lol. . . Class? You mean to tell me that screwing women with sharks is now considered class? You mean to tell me that consuming alcohal and drugs by the boat-full is considered class? Say what you will about their music, which was great IMO, but they arent a classy bunch of guys :rolleyes:

And I wasnt taking a shot at the band with my intro, I was taking a shot at the members of this forum picking them for a 3rd (or maybe even 4th) thread. It has to be tiring by now.

CornLord
02-20-2006, 05:03 PM
I figure since I voted for this thread, and since Led Zeppelin is my second-favorite band (although I haven't been listening much to them recently), I should post here.

My album ranking goes like this (although it's subject to change :D):
1. Led Zeppelin
2. Physical Graffiti
3. Led Zeppelin III
4. Led Zeppelin II
5. Presence
6. Led Zeppelin IV
7. Houses of the Holy
8. In Through the Out Door
9. Coda (but that's expected, seeing as how the songs were unreleased until that point and songs are usually unreleased for a reason)

DownDark
02-20-2006, 06:09 PM
what do you guys think of the song Hey Hey What Can I Do? I think that it's a great song and shouldn't have been left only as a b-side but actually put onto the album.

KingBrendan5149
02-20-2006, 06:24 PM
altough i'm kind of disappointed that The Beatles didn't win, a Led Zep thread is definitely fine with me. definitely one of my favorite bands.

here's how i would rank their albums: 1. Led Zeppelin I
2. Led Zeppelin II
3. Physical Grafitti
4. BBC Sessions
5. How The West Was Won
6. Led Zeppelin IV
7. Led Zeppelin III
8. Houses Of The Holy
9. Presence
10. In Through The Outdoor

that was actually quite hard because i quite enjoy all of those. but yeah, Zeppelin rules.

Uncle Salty
02-20-2006, 08:24 PM
How about the one to What is and What Should Never Be?
My favorite album that I just got for christmas is Houses of the Holy

Zosorocker1
02-20-2006, 09:07 PM
Zeppelin is the greatest, check out my name fools. And this is by far the best string on all the forums because it talks about the greatest band ever: LED - ZEPPELIN. The only reason why they dont want us posting zep **** on other forums is becuase it would scare them with too much good music, then they would start crying. I love shattering gay-emo fantasies.

Iruleeverything
02-20-2006, 10:23 PM
Zeppelin is the greatest, check out my name fools. And this is by far the best string on all the forums because it talks about the greatest band ever: LED - ZEPPELIN. The only reason why they dont want us posting zep **** on other forums is becuase it would scare them with too much good music, then they would start crying. I love shattering gay-emo fantasies.

At least an only led zeppelin thread keeps people like this from spamming up other threads, hey timihendrix you should learn the solo to stairway to heaven :rolleyes:

xX*Zeppelin*Xx
02-21-2006, 05:24 AM

How about you just learn the rain song?

Derigiberble
02-21-2006, 03:52 PM
led zeppelin huh? arent they emo, why are they in classic rock? uless.... OMG!!!!!!!! arent they the original emo band????? OMG OMG OMG

:haha winner is you

^I also find it interesting that David Lee Roth is in his avatar, even though he just condemned heavy overdriven solos and screeching vocals. But anyway.

euch... i like David Lee Roth, i didn't say i like EVH or any of the guitar solos, in fact EVH was much better for his riffs. As for screeching vocals, when you can sing like DLR, i'll give you credit.

Led Zeppelin is overdriven sludge?! what the hell do you listen to?? Remi Shand?

EDIT: i find it interesting how his name is basically Derigible, which is basically another name for the Zeppelins.

Led Zeppelin is overdriven sludge, IN MY OPINION.

And yes, my name is kind of like derigible which is another name for a zeppelin, which means i MUST therefore like Led Zeppelin..... good link :rolleyes:

Garf72
02-21-2006, 04:33 PM
for someone really up for a zeppelin thread, you really know how to kill the discussion right away :rolleyes:

as for the zeppelin bashing, save it for someone who cares, it's not going to cause any good in a place where people come to talk about their favourite band

OMGIZZLEZ
02-21-2006, 04:36 PM
To Derigiberble: stfu and leave quit saying Led zeppelin sucks in a led zeppelin only thread, your just gasping for attention, otherwise if you realy hated Led Zeppelin that much you wouldnt take the time of day to come in here and spam ****.

anywho, i have Led Zeppelin II, IV(Zoso),HotH,and Early/Latter Days. I ordered I and III outa a BMG music catolauge, i have some money so what Zepp album should i buy next? im thinking either Physical Graffiti , but you guys boast your opinon.

moe_d
02-21-2006, 04:45 PM
My favourite album would have to be III or Coda.
Somepeople misunderstand Coda and think its stuff that they recorded in their latter days. It actually wasnt its songs that were unreleased throughtout their time as a band, and it's great!
Whats your favourite concert's or bootlegs?
Mine would have to be:
-Houston, The Summit, May 21, 1977
-Royal Albert Hall, Jan 9th 70
-Toronto, Maple Leaf Garden's, Sept 4th 71
-Earl's Court, London, May 24th 75

Stula1031
02-21-2006, 06:03 PM
I got one in '68 the first one none to man. its very sick

Bmm386
02-21-2006, 06:21 PM
I want to learn the Immigrant song, does anyone know how hard it is?

TheUltimateSin
02-21-2006, 06:23 PM
good i dont have to listen to any more of that thief in other threads

my favorite songs are the one that the original song writers had before they were stolen

Ok, firstly, this thread isn't just for Page. It's for the entire band. and secondly, this thread isn't for people like you to unite and bash the band. So either post something useful or stay out.

Anyways, I'd have to say Led Zepplin II is my favorite album, although in reality the first 6 are all pretty much tied as far as I'm concerned.

I wonder.....Did anyone actually enjoy Coda?

BrainDamage
02-21-2006, 06:54 PM
and fav album = all cept presence. that album is no good in the middle. and maybe coda... its really uninspired. :eek: Presence is awesome!

Over the past few months, Physical Graffiti and Presence have really grown on me.

my favorites are:
1. Physical Graffiti
2. II/Presence
3. HOTH

xX*Zeppelin*Xx
02-21-2006, 07:04 PM
^ eh, I didn't much care for Presence. It's worth buying for Achilles Last Stand alone, though.

TheHeartbreaker
02-21-2006, 07:06 PM
what do you guys think of the song Hey Hey What Can I Do? I think that it's a great song and shouldn't have been left only as a b-side but actually put onto the album.

One of my favorite songs by them. It is trully well done; beautiful in every way. I don't mind that it wasn't put onto the album, since I own it as a B-Side anyways. :p:

My favorite Zep album(s) would be Zeppelin II and Physical Graffiti, but I've bitched about them enough in other posts, so I'll just leave it at that.

Anyways, Zeppelin is my favorite band (for those who haven't guessed). I think that they are one of the most talented bands ever, and though they did steal some stuff, which was wrong, I felt as though they atleast created something good out of that "stolen material" (unlike Vanilla Ice with Under Pressure). I love Zeppelin because they are very easy listening, and though their music is simple (usually composing of a main riff, bridge, verse, and solo arranged together into a song), the emotion and work that goes into it is great. Any of their albums I could listen to over and over again, and never get bored of them.

OMGIZZLEZ
02-21-2006, 08:27 PM
^^ spoken like a true Zeppelin fan. I tried playing Going To California yesterday but i just couldnt get it. lovely song though. Can anyoen here play it?

DownDark
02-21-2006, 09:25 PM
don't even get me started with Vanilla Ice stealing Under Pressure :mad:

we'll leave that for another thread :D

moe_d
02-21-2006, 10:46 PM
As you all may noticed the "stolen" stuff from the band was in the early days of the band and I believe that they needed something to kickstart themselves which they did because zeppelin exploded in 68-69 just when the band started.

Derigiberble
02-22-2006, 02:14 PM
To Derigiberble: stfu and leave quit saying Led zeppelin sucks in a led zeppelin only thread, your just gasping for attention, otherwise if you realy hated Led Zeppelin that much you wouldnt take the time of day to come in here and spam ****.

euch, when did i say Led Zeppelin sucked? i said in my opinion that i didnt like them, theres no problem with that is there? :)

as for the gasping for attention, your damn right i am, im an attention *****, but then what good do you think replying to my posts is going to do? your just fueling my kicks babey :p:

TheUltimateSin
02-22-2006, 02:26 PM
:haha It's hilarious when people try to start crap with you Derig.

Anyways...

Seriously, did anyone actually enjoy Coda? It just didn't seem right to me.

CornLord
02-22-2006, 02:57 PM
^ I don't mind it, I just never listen to it.

BrainDamage
02-22-2006, 03:45 PM
^ eh, I didn't much care for Presence. It's worth buying for Achilles Last Stand alone, though. Achilles Last Stand is great. My two favorites on the album, though, are Nobody's Fault But Mine and For Your Life.

moe_d
02-22-2006, 04:08 PM
coda is soo good.

dionysus85
02-22-2006, 05:53 PM
i turn my back on UG for 2 minutes and an "only zeppelin" thread pops up
whats this the 4th one now... sigh :)

anyway
i haven't listened to zeppelin in months and months, i might go put on III or something

BlueOyster23
02-22-2006, 06:07 PM
My Government teacher saw Led Zeppelin live in '71, lucky bastard.

BTW, "Hey Hey What Can I Do," great song or greatest song?

Stula1031
02-22-2006, 06:36 PM
^Good song.

Anyways I love Zeppelins version of the "Train Kept a Rollin'" its awsome.

OMGIZZLEZ
02-22-2006, 07:20 PM
euch, when did i say Led Zeppelin sucked? i said in my opinion that i didnt like them, theres no problem with that is there? :)

as for the gasping for attention, your damn right i am, im an attention *****, but then what good do you think replying to my posts is going to do? your just fueling my kicks babey :p:

happy to help lol.

anywho, my cd's came in today!! Now i have I , III , and a back-up IV. I ordered IV along with the others and then a day later i found my copy i had lost in a box in the basement. Oh well, gota have a backup of one of the greatest cd's of all time lol.

Stula1031
02-22-2006, 10:12 PM
^ lol whatever man.

Does anyone else have the Yardbirds "Little Games" cd with Jimmy Page. After reading horrible reviews I decided to get it anyways. I actually like it a lot. It's not as good as Roger the Engineer but its still pretty good.

synester_gates
02-23-2006, 10:54 AM
I dont really like led zepplin. There just not my style.

My Style of music:
Loud guitar
Impressive Lyrics
Face Melting Solos

ledhead73
02-23-2006, 02:43 PM
You do realize that style of music you just described is called hard rock and was pioneered by Zeppelin, right? Or was it just a bad joke?
Oh, FYI. its Zeppelin not Zepplin.

knerken
02-23-2006, 05:11 PM
About Jimmy stealing stuff, I really believe that EVERYONE in music EVER have stolen something from someone, at least once! The reason that Jimmy Page stealing riffs and such is being so blown up, is that he is concidered a genius, so it makes it much more "fun" to blame him for those things...

But, I understand that most of you are sick of hearing that, so I'll shut up! :D

Btw. just a little question... Which Zep album is being called their "selftitled"? Is it I or IV? As I've understood it, none of them really have a name...

lead_zeppelin
02-23-2006, 05:14 PM
^Led Zeppelin I till III are all selftitled (ok... with a roman number after it) and IV doesn't really have a title so most people call it Led Zeppelin IV

Garf72
02-23-2006, 05:15 PM
Led Zeppelin I is only called that after Led Zeppelin II and III were named in numbers ,if you get me, so is self titled. Led Zeppelin "IV" is also known as "Untiled", "Zoso" and "4 Symbols" too as they never gave it an official name when it was released.

crazynickman
02-23-2006, 05:20 PM
I discovered III about a year ago and could not believe what i was missing- Gallow's Pole, BronYrAur Stomp (whatever) and actually Hats of To Roy Harper is good, no matter how weird. II and IV are my favorites though, and I've been listenin to them since the age of about 6 or 7. I thank my dad for that.

KingBrendan5149
02-23-2006, 07:45 PM
Gallows Pole has to be my favorite Zeppelin song right now.

TheHeartbreaker
02-23-2006, 07:53 PM
About Jimmy stealing stuff, I really believe that EVERYONE in music EVER have stolen something from someone, at least once! The reason that Jimmy Page stealing riffs and such is being so blown up, is that he is concidered a genius, so it makes it much more "fun" to blame him for those things...

But, I understand that most of you are sick of hearing that, so I'll shut up! :D

Btw. just a little question... Which Zep album is being called their "selftitled"? Is it I or IV? As I've understood it, none of them really have a name...

I sort of agree with what you say. Yes, I think pretty much every musician has stolen pieces of music and such from other musicians to create their own music, but as you said, a lot of the reasons Page is so highly flamed is 1) He's considered one of the best, and people who don't share this opinion use this as reasons as to why he's not 2) He stole stuff pretty directly; usually musicians don't actually "steal" stuff, but just use other music as a high influence. Page and Plant took lyrics and music as they had been in other songs and used them in theirs.

cap'nkirk
02-23-2006, 08:27 PM
^ Well, that's all fine and dandy, but that's just a straight blues trick. In Blues music, artists would use each other's lyrics all the time. That's why no bluesmen ever filed a lawsuit against them, (as far I've heard anyway). When you listen to Muddy Waters, you'll hear some Howlin' Wolk and vice versa, so on and so on. The songs Led Zeppelin used were typically American blues standards. Musicians in the UK were eating up the blues as fast as they could get it in the late 50s and throughout the 60s, naturally they're going to do some of the same things that the players they listened to were doing, even using lyrics from other songs. It's all about the music relating to the listener in blues, Led Zeppelin picked up on this. So, who cares? There's only so many keys, so many chords and whatnot, As much as Page took, he also gave back which some of the most original music made. So, it evens out, it's not like Rap where you sample a song and just ruin it (most times anyway).

Stula1031
02-23-2006, 08:32 PM
I forget who said this but it's one of my favorite quotes

"Those English kids... they wana play the blues so bad.. and they do play the blues SO BAD"

:haha it always made me laugh.

crazynickman
02-23-2006, 08:38 PM
^^i think sonny boy williamson

BlueOyster23
02-23-2006, 09:02 PM
^ Well, that's all fine and dandy, but that's just a straight blues trick. In Blues music, artists would use each other's lyrics all the time. That's why no bluesmen ever filed a lawsuit against them, (as far I've heard anyway). When you listen to Muddy Waters, you'll hear some Howlin' Wolk and vice versa, so on and so on. The songs Led Zeppelin used were typically American blues standards. Musicians in the UK were eating up the blues as fast as they could get it in the late 50s and throughout the 60s, naturally they're going to do some of the same things that the players they listened to were doing, even using lyrics from other songs. It's all about the music relating to the listener in blues, Led Zeppelin picked up on this. So, who cares? There's only so many keys, so many chords and whatnot, As much as Page took, he also gave back which some of the most original music made. So, it evens out, it's not like Rap where you sample a song and just ruin it (most times anyway).

Know I'm not sure, but I think that Willie Dixon filed a law suit against them, for saying that "Bring It All Back Home" was a Page/Plant creation(on the inside of LZ II record), and supposedly copying bits of "Whole Lotta Love." Not sure though.

About stealing music, most all music is plagerized, musicians want to be like their inspirations, so they copy them as best they can.

Okay, back to Zeppelin, anyone buy the No Quarter CD? Two words, f***in' awesome!

OMGIZZLEZ
02-23-2006, 10:15 PM
^^ No Quarter CD??? i havnt heard of that one, you mean Houses of the Holy? Boy, am i gona feel stupid if you dont lol. I finally got the intro and first verse of "Going To California"
Its probably my favorite Zepp song right now, besides Tangerine

CornLord
02-23-2006, 10:49 PM
^ I think he means the Page & Plant album titled No Quarter, released in 1994.

I discovered III about a year ago and could not believe what i was missing- Gallow's Pole, BronYrAur Stomp (whatever) and actually Hats of To Roy Harper is good, no matter how weird. II and IV are my favorites though, and I've been listenin to them since the age of about 6 or 7. I thank my dad for that.
Oh man, I love Hats Off to Roy Harper.

DownDark
02-24-2006, 07:28 AM
^I thought it was called Unledded

Garf72
02-24-2006, 07:32 AM
Unledded was like an Unplugged set i think and No Quarter was studio recorded. not really sure having not heard either but i think that's the case

DownDark
02-24-2006, 02:51 PM
oh because I have Unledded on DVD and it's actually pretty good.

me_and_my_esp
02-24-2006, 02:59 PM
a wise man once said -

"Oh geez god no!" (i will love you if you know who!)

well, at least all Zep will be in here

my fav album is Phsyical Graffiti.

CornLord
02-24-2006, 06:03 PM
^I thought it was called Unledded
I believe it's called No Quarter: Jimmy Page and Robert Plant Unledded.

BrainDamage
02-24-2006, 06:08 PM
^^I think that's it. I've seen it many times in stores, but never brought myself to buying it. Is it worth it?

CornLord
02-24-2006, 06:15 PM
^ Not particularly, but that's just my opinion.

TheHeartbreaker
02-24-2006, 07:47 PM
Oh man, I love Hats Off to Roy Harper.

Yeah, it's actually a great song. The fact is that the guitar piece gets a bit repetitive and the beginning is really... odd, but it's still a nice American-bluesy song that has some pretty good lyrics.

"Gave my baby a twenty dollar bill,
If that don't get her, Sure my shot, shot, shot-gun will,
Yeah, I gave my baby a twenty dollar bill,
If that don't get that woman, I'm sure my shot-gun will."

:haha Great lyrics.

xX*Zeppelin*Xx
02-24-2006, 08:10 PM
I finally got the intro and first verse of "Going To California"
Its probably my favorite Zepp song right now, besides Tangerine

I learnt it on the mandolin just there :p: The guitar part seems fairly straight forward though.

My favourite songs atm are;

Going to California
That's the Way
Tangerine
The Rain Song

..and I can't get "In the Light" out of my head.

I went through a phase a while ago were I didn't listen them but I've recently got really into them again.

OMGIZZLEZ
02-24-2006, 08:19 PM
I learnt it on the mandolin just there :p: The guitar part seems fairly straight forward though.

My favourite songs atm are;

Going to California
That's the Way
Tangerine
The Rain Song

I went through a phase a while ago were I didn't listen them but I've recently got really into them again.

dude thats awsme, i wish i had a mandolin.

TheHeartbreaker
02-25-2006, 09:54 AM
dude thats awsme, i wish i had a mandolin.

Yeah, as of late, I've like, really thought about getting one. I decided I better just stick to guitar and focus more on that, though, since I play guitar in my band.

I went through the same thing with "In My Time of Dying". I'd pull out my iPod before and after class and just listen to it over and over.

Also, those accoustic songs you mentioned; all are awesome. My favorite accoustic work by Zeppelin would either be Babe I'm Gonna Leave You or Ten Years Gone (which, as you know, is some accoustic guitar, some electric guitar).

OMGIZZLEZ
02-25-2006, 11:56 AM
Yeah, as of late, I've like, really thought about getting one. I decided I better just stick to guitar and focus more on that, though, since I play guitar in my band.

I went through the same thing with "In My Time of Dying". I'd pull out my iPod before and after class and just listen to it over and over.

Also, those accoustic songs you mentioned; all are awesome. My favorite accoustic work by Zeppelin would either be Babe I'm Gonna Leave You or Ten Years Gone (which, as you know, is some accoustic guitar, some electric guitar).

I just learned "Babe Im Gona Leave You" about a week ago, awsome song.
I remember a while back when i got Early/Latter days , when i heard Ten Years Gone, it was my favorite song, i listened to it over, and over and over.

edit: i had to cut out were you quoted that guy.

taxman27
02-25-2006, 12:09 PM
^Ten Years Gone is awesome. There are so many guitars on that song it's unbelievable. But my favorite lick is the one that they lead lick that they repeat at the end. It's just so freakin sweet. Now I have the Knebworth (1st night) Dvd and I can finally watch it live.

CornLord
02-25-2006, 07:29 PM
You must have a long time between classes to listen to that whole thing!

OMGIZZLEZ
02-25-2006, 07:45 PM
^lol, i wish i had that long of a time inbetween classes, or a iPod. I went to Guitar Center today and it was awsome, i was playing a guitar and i started playing "Babe Im Gona Leave You" then this guy went and started playing a guitar and started playing the same song. Then he started playing Over The Hills and Far Away, then he stopped and i started playing Whole Lotta Love and he joined in like 2 seconds after i started. We cranked the amps so loud, it was dual Zeppelin, it was ****ing awsome.

TheHeartbreaker
02-25-2006, 07:50 PM
I just learned "Babe Im Gona Leave You" about a week ago, awsome song.
I remember a while back when i got Early/Latter days , when i heard Ten Years Gone, it was my favorite song, i listened to it over, and over and over.

edit: i had to cut out were you quoted that guy.

I had started to learn that song recently. I haven't learned any of it as of late because I've been working on some Allman Brothers songs too. I'll probably start back up on it again and pick up where I left off soon. Definetly a great song, as you have mention; the chorus is so heavy.

Good stuff to :headbang: to.

Stula1031
02-25-2006, 08:14 PM
I used to Jam with my friend a lot to Whole Lotta Love.. not any more. I write my own stuff so I havn't played Zeppelin in a while. Very fun music to jam to.

Maet
02-25-2006, 10:03 PM

If by Style & Class you mean Sex & Drugs, then yes. Yes they were.

Anyway, Led Zeppelin will (to me) never cease to be an average band that stuck out for some reason....

*cough*stairway*cough*

IronMurph
02-25-2006, 10:08 PM
If you don't have the BBC Sessions, get it. Listen to Thank You on disc 2. It is the greatest version of that song.

DYEguitarist
02-26-2006, 12:59 AM
I was about to get the BBC Sessions put it sold out when i got the cash and the store hasnt restock it and it was about two months ago and its pissing me off, so I bought How The West Was Won and that cd kicks ass. I love Immigrant Song and Dazed and Confused on it

9mmpainpill
02-26-2006, 02:24 AM
If by Style & Class you mean Sex & Drugs, then yes. Yes they were.

Anyway, Led Zeppelin will (to me) never cease to be an average band that stuck out for some reason.....

They "stuck out" because they were prolly the most talented musicians who ever played together, and without them ALL and I mean ALL rock/metal bands that came after them would have been different........not to mention all of the guitar heroes that say that they prolly wouldnt have even picked up a guitar if it wasnt for them...they stuck out because they defined "virtuosity" and took it up a level.

mercedesisbenz
02-26-2006, 03:12 AM
what do you guys think about jimmy page's interest in the occult and mr. crowley? I'm pretty sure jimmy gave ozzy the idea for the song when they met and started talking about all that(read that somewhere dont quote me on it).

knerken
02-26-2006, 07:46 AM
what do you guys think about jimmy page's interest in the occult and mr. crowley? I'm pretty sure jimmy gave ozzy the idea for the song when they met and started talking about all that(read that somewhere dont quote me on it).

I think it's just weird and untrue...

OMGIZZLEZ
02-26-2006, 11:16 AM
^ i agree

ledhead73
02-26-2006, 12:53 PM
Well, Page has or had a definite interest in Crowely to say the least. Page himself was no devil worshipper or anything, but he was most certainly a student of magic, or "magick" as both Page and Crowely would say. However I think once Led Zep ended and he got clean, he basically grew out of it. Now he doesn't even like to talk about it in interviews. As for him inspiring Ozzy's Mr. Crowley, I don't think there was a direct connection. Page was certainly not the only British rock musician that was into Crowely at the time.

bluewildangel
02-26-2006, 03:07 PM
hey im new to led zep. iv bought their greatest hits (latter days/early days) n LOVE it soooooooooooooo gd. bt i ws wondrin wher i shld go frm here

TimiHendrix33
02-26-2006, 03:47 PM
^Get Led Zeppelin IV (A.K.A. ZoSo) or I.

KingBrendan5149
02-26-2006, 03:49 PM
If you don't have the BBC Sessions, get it. Listen to Thank You on disc 2. It is the greatest version of that song.

:)

OMGIZZLEZ
02-26-2006, 04:55 PM
bluewildangel you should get IV(Zoso) or Led Zeppelin III. Those are my current favs.
But out of those two since your new to Zep i strongly suggest IV(Zoso). Its got alot of great songs on it you would love, Example : Stairway to Heaven,Rock N Roll,Black Dog, all those good ones.

CornLord
02-26-2006, 05:54 PM
hey im new to led zep. iv bought their greatest hits (latter days/early days) n LOVE it soooooooooooooo gd. bt i ws wondrin wher i shld go frm here
The self-titled debut; it's probably my favorite and it has a lot of their bluesier stuff.

KingBrendan5149
02-26-2006, 07:17 PM

i'd start w/ Led Zeppelin I and just go in chronological order upward. that's what i would do. Led Zeppelin I through Physical Graffiti are all excellent albums so you won't go wrong with any of those. Presence is pretty good (but not excellent) and I was never really a fan of In Through the Outdoor. BBC Sessions and How the West Was Won are also amazing as well.

i hope that helps a little.

TheHeartbreaker
02-26-2006, 08:02 PM
^^I pretty much agree with everything that KingBrendan said. Get Zeppelin I and go up from there.

Most people, for some reason or other, don't like Presence and/or In Through the Outdoor. I, however, like both, but I see the reasons people don't like these albums. I'll recommend them to you, but you should definetly see if you like them by listening to samples or burrowing a friend's CD if they own it.

If anything, if you like the Zep's sound, you'll be a bigger fan of Presene than In Through the Outdoor, which has John Paul Jones (their bassist) emphasizing his keyboard work more than his basswork. While I do enjoy the album, I'll admit it's not my favorite by them.

crazynickman
02-27-2006, 09:55 AM
bluewildangel you should get IV(Zoso) or Led Zeppelin III. Those are my current favs.
But out of those two since your new to Zep i strongly suggest IV(Zoso). Its got alot of great songs on it you would love, Example : Stairway to Heaven,Rock N Roll,Black Dog, all those good ones.

AND four sticks and when the levee breaks

Moof
02-27-2006, 05:08 PM
Led rocks

trepkos
02-27-2006, 05:33 PM
I love when the levee breaks, its like a massive flood plus earthquake PLUS mudslide PlUS John bonham on drums and jimmy on slide guitar and robert plant on harmonia.
I really like the wanton song, its very underrated.

CornLord
02-27-2006, 06:22 PM
If anything, if you like the Zep's sound, you'll be a bigger fan of Presene than In Through the Outdoor
I agree. I actually really like Presence.

ledhead73
02-27-2006, 09:02 PM
I must be the only Zep Head who loves each album just as much as the other.

OMGIZZLEZ
02-27-2006, 09:21 PM
^ of course, your the cardinal of Zeppelinism. Actually im gona PM heartbreaker right now to join.
Im buying PG soon. My Grammar teachers husband is cool, he subbed for my spanish class, and i was like "hey....we all finished our work, i got a CD in my back pack can we put it on?"
Sub: Does she let you do that
Me: No, but your cool
Sub: What is it?
Me : Zeppelin III
Sub: Really? you kids are into that? I love Physical Graffiti
Me: Actually i dont know who all in here likes them but.....lets just put it in

best spanish class ever.

ledhead73
02-28-2006, 01:26 PM
You know what is really pissing me off these days? The fact that almost no one knows who Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, JPJ, or Bonzo is these days. You meet a kid on the street and he thinks Led Zeppelin is a guy. "Oh yah Led Zeppelin, he's good right?" The same goes for Pink Floyd. That God damn media hell that is MTV makes sure kids know who Jimi Hendrix is, who Clapton and the Beatles are, but f*ck me if they actually know who David Lee Roth is. GOD DAMN IT!

ledhead73
02-28-2006, 01:39 PM
The same goes for that mind-f*ck you call Rolling Stone magazine. All they do is say that to like classic rock you just need to own The White Album, come on. Did anybody see that sham of a list they made of the 100 greatest guitarists? Jimi Hendrix #1 that is debatible, as is Kurt Cobain not only being on the list, but being ahead of guys like EVH and Angus Young. The media has always hated Led Zeppelin and it is time I tell all the younger guys and gals in here, that they always will. In the early days when Led Zeppelin I came out Rolling Stone hated it and called the band all hype, the band has since hated the media because no matter what they put out it got terrible reviews. They are the biggest selling hard rock band of all time, hype my ass. Their albums are selling better than most current artists. Hell, when How the West Was Won came out in '03 it hit number 1. Not bad for a band that hasn't been around for more than twenty years. This is turning into a rather boring rant, but F*CK me, I don't care. Everyone who reads this has to enlighten someone else and tell them what is what. Put down that ****ty 50 Cent "album" and get a Cream record. Throw away that terrible album "Thriller" because you think it is retro-cool, and buy 1984. I don't care, buy KISS if you must, just tell whoever you know to stop listening to most modern music, because it SUCKS. Listen to artists that are actually musicians. Buy Led Zeppelin IV and be a better person.

Garf72
02-28-2006, 02:43 PM
what does everyone think of the Song Remains the Same?
i've been watching it recently after getting into Houses of the Holy and it's great, the show itself is one of the best i've seen.
the sound isn't particularly good i thought, and the trippy scenes (Page climbing up rocks, JPJ scaring his wife ****less wearing a mask, on horseback etc.) were a bit much as well

Bloozy
02-28-2006, 05:09 PM
At one time or another, each Led Zep album has been my favorite since I became a fan 25 years ago. Someone asked if anyone "enjoyed" Coda; damn right I did. Alright, so the songs lack, but it was new Led Zep at the time. "Poor Tom" and a few of those other songs struck a chord, and still do. The great thing about this band is that once you've gotten a taste for all their well-known songs that everybody mentions, you can start mining the not so well known songs and like those as much. I'm talking about songs like "Carouselambra" or "I'm Gonna Crawl", "Custard Pie", "In the Light", and a dozen others . In other words, Led Zep is a band that keeps on giving. (Yeah, I know they were a band that kept on "taking" too, thats less important to me).

R0CKER1220
02-28-2006, 05:20 PM
i am one of the cardinals of Zeppelinism. One day in science, the upperclassmen were taking a test or something like that, and my science teacher kicks ass and he let us hook up our iPods to his computer. Most kids were putting on rap and **** like that. I have a shuffle and i finally got Zeppelin on it the night before, i went up there, put on Black Dog, The Immigrant song, among others. It kicked ass. Then this stupid girl wanted to put on some **** from a disney movie, my teacher didnt want a fight, and said one more song for me. Now looking back, i should have put on Achilles Last Stand, that would have pissed her off so much. I had to stand next to my iPod and gaurd it for fear of someone not understanding the greatness. Then my science teacher thanked me for a pleasent change in the music. He's an old hippie.

DYEguitarist
02-28-2006, 05:54 PM
Yea, my TechEd loves Led Zeppelin too. He gave me some extra credit because I wore a Zeppelin shirt to School one day

dudus_remanet
02-28-2006, 06:37 PM
The same goes for that mind-f*ck you call Rolling Stone magazine. All they do is say that to like classic rock you just need to own The White Album, come on. Did anybody see that sham of a list they made of the 100 greatest guitarists? Jimi Hendrix #1 that is debatible, as is Kurt Cobain not only being on the list, but being ahead of guys like EVH and Angus Young. The media has always hated Led Zeppelin and it is time I tell all the younger guys and gals in here, that they always will. In the early days when Led Zeppelin I came out Rolling Stone hated it and called the band all hype, the band has since hated the media because no matter what they put out it got terrible reviews. They are the biggest selling hard rock band of all time, hype my ass. Their albums are selling better than most current artists. Hell, when How the West Was Won came out in '03 it hit number 1. Not bad for a band that hasn't been around for more than twenty years. This is turning into a rather boring rant, but F*CK me, I don't care. Everyone who reads this has to enlighten someone else and tell them what is what. Put down that ****ty 50 Cent "album" and get a Cream record. Throw away that terrible album "Thriller" because you think it is retro-cool, and buy 1984. I don't care, buy KISS if you must, just tell whoever you know to stop listening to most modern music, because it SUCKS. Listen to artists that are actually musicians. Buy Led Zeppelin IV and be a better person.

:cheers:

It's been thirty plus years and rolling stone still can't admit a Major mistake.

I didn't read every post, but I hope someone has mentioned Ten Years Gone as a favorite...

sirpsycho85
02-28-2006, 06:53 PM
^ some of that is absurd. i like zeppelin, and RS has certainly not been fair with their reviews, but as for the generalization on modern music...i'd take bands like the white stripes or libertines over ACDC or kiss in a second, and that's just bands that were big in this young millenium. Going back into the nineties and you get my point.

TheHeartbreaker
02-28-2006, 08:51 PM

It's been thirty plus years and rolling stone still can't admit a Major mistake.

I didn't read every post, but I hope someone has mentioned Ten Years Gone as a favorite...

Did I not?

That must've been a different post, then. Ten Years Gone is probably my favorite song off of Physical Graffiti after In My Time of Dying. It's absolutely beautiful, and one of those few songs that gets me quite emotional. The music is great, and I think that this song is where Plant had one of (if not his best) lyrical writings. The story behind the song is almost unreal; as if it's something from a movie.

Excellent, excellent song.

OMGIZZLEZ
02-28-2006, 08:52 PM
I agree with LedHead73 150,000,000%.
also im now the cardinal assistant of Zeppelinism. :D

Living-90s
02-28-2006, 09:05 PM
My Fave Zeppelin Album would Be Led Zeppelin II, I love Moby Dick and HeartBeaker, Whole Lotta love

R0CKER1220
02-28-2006, 09:11 PM
I agree with LedHead73 150,000,000%.
also im now the cardinal assistant of Zeppelinism. :D
which cardinals assistant are you? if you're min go get me a sandwich! :peace:

KingBrendan5149
02-28-2006, 10:16 PM

what a diverse and interesting world of music we would have if everyone listened to classic rock.......

boredretard
03-01-2006, 06:08 AM
can you guys tell me some good albums frome them? i really love them but i only have a couple of songs that i downloaded.

TheUltimateSin
03-01-2006, 07:48 AM
can you guys tell me some good albums frome them? i really love them but i only have a couple of songs that i downloaded.

Try any, particularily II, Physical Graffiti, or IV. Their all a little unique-sounding in their own way.

boredretard
03-01-2006, 08:17 AM
ok, i saw ll once but i didnt buy it

TheUltimateSin
03-01-2006, 09:37 AM
You should get it the next chance you have. It's definetly up in the top of my favorites list.

BlueOyster23
03-01-2006, 06:13 PM
Yea, my TechEd loves Led Zeppelin too. He gave me some extra credit because I wore a Zeppelin shirt to School one day

My Algebra/Geometry teacher saw me wear my Led Zeppelin shirt(cover of Led Zeppelin I), and she said, "I like your shirt....it's a play on words," I tried to explian to her, but she didn't realize it was the album cover, worst off is that her husband is a huge fan of early Led Zeppelin.

OMGIZZLEZ
03-01-2006, 08:23 PM
which cardinals assistant are you? if you're min go get me a sandwich! :peace:

yeah i looked at your sig, and when you said "Im the cardinal of Zeppelinism" so yeah, heres that samich.

knerken
03-02-2006, 08:37 AM

:cheers: I agree A LOT! Except the thing about "Thriller"... It's the best non-guitar album ever made! Not hype at all! MJ is also a VERY talented musician, beats EVH by many miles!

... but this is kinda off-topic, so I'll shut up again! :D

ledhead73
03-02-2006, 01:29 PM
You know in my long rant about the crap that comes out these days, I never said that people should only listen to classic rock. If thats all you do listen to then I am sad for you. Personally I like the jazz stylings of Dave Holland as well the genius that is Beethoven. I just commented on the fact that in the past twenty years bands like Led Zeppelin and the Beatles have become extinct. In the industry of today the hottest act around is only actually hot for maybe a year. Look at the horror that was the Spice Girls, biggest thing ever right. And we all can see that that was music that could stand the test of time. Wrong. Today music is a business of fakery just selling artists who actually have no talent and just making them look the part. I can't remember who said it, but "No matter how much lipstick you put on a pig it is still a pig." I'm not saying that everyone needs to like the Beatles or the Rolling Stones, all I am saying is like MUSIC!! Rap is not music, it is a ****ty form of beat poetry, minus talent. I am also not saying all modern music sucks. People like Beck and the White Stripes are at least trying to do things inventively instead of just hardly bashing out two different chords throughout a song, cough, Green Day, cough. The moral of this terribley boring rant, it is okay to like any kind of music you wish, just make sure it is music.

ledhead73
03-02-2006, 01:32 PM
But anyway, why is it that when people mention great Zep songs The Rain Song is almost never among them? That is probably the most beautiful song Page and Plant ever wrote together. Sure it is not Stairway, but I think it has a beauty that STH lacks. God the mellotron never sounded so good!

TheHeartbreaker
03-02-2006, 03:14 PM
^^You basically answered your own question: "It is not Stairway,". The Rain Song is indeed a beautiful, beautiful song, that I, much like you, believe you be mentioned among some of their greats, but musical tastes and such are different among different people. Some people prefer Zeppelin's heavier side, rather than their acoustic music, but I myself am a huge fan of either.

Also, a lot of people who aren't "big" Zeppelin fans, as in they've only heard what's on the radio, aren't likely to have heard this song before.

I agree, though, it probably is one of their best pieces of work and it is extremely beautiful.

Anyways, I guess I'll open another topic for discussion:

Why do you guys think that Stairway to Heaven is regarded as, not only Zep's best work, but as one of the greatest songs ever?

blues_rocker
03-02-2006, 03:42 PM
Because it remains entertaining over 8:02, the solo goes with the song so well, the lyrics are pretty good. I love the flute like thing in the song as well. But I don't believe it deserves all the hype it gets, although it is great.

TheHeartbreaker
03-02-2006, 04:12 PM
FYI, it's not a flute, but actually a keyboard/piano. ;)

It's a common misconsemption. The first time I heard the song, I was like, "What's up with the flute?", because it does, in fact, sound a lot like a flute does.

ZoSoII_13
03-02-2006, 04:24 PM
I agree about the Rain Song, as it is among my favorite songs of all time. As to the Stairway question, I just think its got all the goods of an amazing song. Not as good as a Rain Song type in my opinion, but it's still awesome.

JimmyStradlin33
03-02-2006, 04:31 PM
I think stairway when it came out there wasn't really anything like it. Now there are so many songs that follow that structure. Also it was a combination of a lot of the styles they had shown before but not combined together, e.g folky type intro fingerpicked acoustic then some gentle rock chords etc into a bluesy solo and then finishing off with some heavier rock. Awesome.

Maet
03-02-2006, 06:08 PM
Listen to artists that are actually musicians. Buy Led Zeppelin IV and be a better person.

Buy 'Time Out' and then you might just be able to post with credibility.

TheHeartbreaker
03-02-2006, 07:44 PM
I think stairway when it came out there wasn't really anything like it. Now there are so many songs that follow that structure. Also it was a combination of a lot of the styles they had shown before but not combined together, e.g folky type intro fingerpicked acoustic then some gentle rock chords etc into a bluesy solo and then finishing off with some heavier rock. Awesome.

Yeah, I definetly agree with you. I was going to see what people posted before telling my opinion of the song, but musically, it is almost perfect. It is beautifully played, from start to finish; incredible work by all the musicians. Though Bonham only played for a couple minutes and apart from the intro, Jones was heavily overshadowed by Page, the musical level of talent and skill was incredible.

Another reason I think people like the song is because of it's lyrics. Many people still try to figure out exactly what the song is about; I even did a project on trying to "decipher" and interpret the song last year.

Mr. Eko
03-02-2006, 08:06 PM
I bet that went well... :wtf:

TheHeartbreaker
03-02-2006, 08:25 PM
^^Actually, there were two parts to the project; one where you type up a report on your interpretation, and another part where you present.

When I was about to present, we had a fire drill. We were suppose to pass out a copy of the poem to the class so they could take notes on it, but because of the fire drill, I couldn't get to anyone that day.

The next day, I finished handing out copies, but for some reason she didn't see me do it.

On the presentation part, I got an 84 because I "Didn't give everyone a copy of the poem,", which I did. She's a Red Sox fan and I'm a Yankees fan, so that probably had something to do with why so many points were taken off of my grade.

I did good on the written part, tough, so, that's good. I'll tell you what I basically intepreted. I interpreted Stairway to Heaven to be a metaphor or whatever the hell those things are called about an acid trip or something. I just bull****ed most of it and just took my idea from what my friend said his uncle thought it was about. Coincidentally, I could find a lot of things that could work as "drug references" in the song.

Angus77
03-03-2006, 04:34 PM
The song has a lot of sexual references as well, especially in the part that everybody is hyped up about because of the Satanic undermessages, either way...

Mr. Eko
03-03-2006, 06:57 PM
Ah....I see.

Yankees pwn.

Rock1986
03-03-2006, 07:06 PM
Freakin ST. Louis Cardinals BABY!!

ledhead73
03-03-2006, 10:25 PM
You know Maet if you weren't such an ignorant little child maybe you'll realize that all I said was for people to like music where thought was put into it. You are a very sad young person who is extremely condescending, almost as bad as myself. You list off a jazz album like "Time Out" as if I had no idea what you were talking about. I was born before that album came out you snot-nosed little prick. I've heard it and to be honest I didn't really like it all that much. Just because its time signatures are rather complex doesn't mean I automatically like it. I respect it because it is without a doubt good music, unlike a lot of "music" today. As to you attacking me because I said buy Led Zep's untitled fourth album and be a better person I just have one thing to say to you: THIS IS THE LED ZEPPELIN FORUM YOU FATHEAD!

ledhead73
03-03-2006, 10:38 PM
As to Stairway, you guys are, for the most, part right. When it first came out no one had ever heard a song like that. But I believe the reason it was and is so well recieved is because of the whole light and shade philosophy that Page had. He is quoted as saying he didn't want to be the greatest guitarist, but he wanted to affect people with his music. He expressed himself through the guitar much like Plant did with his voice and lyrics and Jones and Bonzo with their instruments. Stairway is ultimately one of the few true expressions of artists through their craft. The track builds slowly, continually adding pieces and taking you on a musical journey. Each instrument is vital to the piece as a whole and has something to say. Robert's lyrics are somewhat vague, yet remain universal. Essentially the song relays the message that redemption of the soul is never fully out of your own reach. It is an age old idea that has been seen continually through out history. Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" is actually not far removed from the subject matter of Stairway. Also the reason STH works so well is the slow build and then the oh-so cathartic release that is Jimmy's solo. If a song ever truly needed a solo it was Stairway to Heaven.

Guitarplaya27
03-03-2006, 10:46 PM
Yes that is a good song very new for the time period

knerken
03-04-2006, 09:03 AM
I'm a rock n roller, and I like simple catchy songs and not really fond of complicated and epic songs, but Stairway is such a masterpiece that it's impossible for me to not like! :D

Stula1031
03-04-2006, 10:36 AM
Stairway is overrated but its still good.

However right now I'm realy into Zeppelin's acoustic stuff! Thats where Page shined IMO

HelpImARock
03-04-2006, 11:48 AM
Essentially the song relays the message that redemption of the soul is never fully out of your own reach. It is an age old idea that has been seen continually through out history. Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" is actually not far removed from the subject matter of Stairway. Also the reason STH works so well is the slow build and then the oh-so cathartic release that is Jimmy's solo. If a song ever truly needed a solo it was Stairway to Heaven.

Actually the song is simply a tale about a wealthy woman who tried to throw money around to secure a spot in heaven, which is almost a complete opposite of the protaganist and story in A Christmas Carol.

ledhead73
03-04-2006, 12:11 PM
Well that is how she starts out, trying to buy her way in. Using money instead of having a good soul. The song says that if she continues on this path she won't get to heaven, hence "there's still time to change the road your on". Kind of getting off track, but that is essentially the meaning of A Christmas Carol. Scrooge thought that all he needed was money, but with the help of three spirits he had an epiphany and changed his life.

lucky911charms
03-04-2006, 07:21 PM
Has Anyone noticed that the song"Trampled under foot" sounds a little like "very Superstiusous"by Stevie Wonders. But that is just me.

TheHeartbreaker
03-04-2006, 09:26 PM
^^Honestly, I can't think of any similarities between the two songs, even though I haven't heard "Superstitious" for sometime now.

"Trampled Underfoot" is definetly one of my favorite Zeppelin tunes; besides the fact that the riff is quite catchy, I love all the sexual inuendos Plant uses, making the song quite humerous.

For those of you who haven't seen this song performed live, I'd recommend you find someone who owns the Zeppelin "desert" DVD, or you go out and buy or rent (if it's rentable) it yourself, because the live version of Trampled Underfoot is absolutely amazing; an extended jam with Page and Jones that is absolutley beautiful.

KingBrendan5149
03-04-2006, 09:34 PM
For those of you who haven't seen this song performed live, I'd recommend you find someone who owns the Zeppelin "desert" DVD, or you go out and buy or rent (if it's rentable) it yourself, because the live version of Trampled Underfoot is absolutely amazing; an extended jam with Page and Jones that is absolutley beautiful.

Iruleeverything
03-04-2006, 10:01 PM
Stairway is overrated but its still good.

However right now I'm realy into Zeppelin's acoustic stuff! Thats where Page shined IMO

agreed :cheers:

Maet
03-04-2006, 10:57 PM
As to Stairway, you guys are, for the most, part right. When it first came out no one had ever heard a song like that.

No one ever heard a rock song like that. That's my only real complain about your post. More emphasized by the fact that you go on about history and literature in your post aswell.

Certain classical songs far surpass Stairway on basically all levels you just mentioned, except perhaps the lyrics/vocals department where some don't contain any. Ravel's Bolero for example is of roughly the same length and contains a slow build and adding pieces and pieces to make it more complete and full. The only difference is a lack of vocals, and it goes out with a bang. Not to mention the tricky 3/8 time signature. Many of Gustav Holst's works are of similar characteristics. Suite in F for Military Band which includes March, Song Without Words My Love, Song of the Blacksmith and Fantasia on the Dargason are epic in their arrangements and mastery of rhythm and dynamics. Then theres Igor Stravinsky's Ballets such as Firebird, The Rite of Spring and The Nightingale which are long (clocking in at over 30 minutes each), and again contain masterys in most of, if not all, musical elements such as time, rhythm, dynamics etc.

I'm not arguing you, just stating that Stairway was likely the first epic rock song, but hardly the first epic song in general.

trepkos
03-05-2006, 10:42 AM
I like epic classic rock, it makes my ears ring better than other epic stuff.

OMGIZZLEZ
03-05-2006, 11:04 AM
^x2 i agree on that, its such a big deal cause its like all soft, then you just get this face melting solo, and then some it goes from loud to soft. its just the perfect blend.

Quadrophenia 78
03-05-2006, 03:19 PM
euch.......

Quit bein a bitch page is arguably the best gitaurist of the 20th century

CornLord
03-05-2006, 05:16 PM
I love all the sexual inuendos Plant uses, making the song quite humerous.
That's the one thing I don't like about Trampled Underfoot.

As far as the "why STH is popular" thing, I think a lot of it has to do with the supposed "Satanic" messages in the song and the fact that the song changes from soft to harder to a solo that people love to a soft ending. It showcases almost all of the band's skills.

TheHeartbreaker
03-05-2006, 07:22 PM
^^Honestly, I don't think that the "Satanic" messages seemed to effect the popularity of the song itself too much. I mean, a lot of songs have "Satanic" messages besides "Stairway to Heaven" - including the "Pokemon Rap".

Sometimes it's just coincidence that words played backwards sound like other words, and sometimes it's just total bull**** (which many people believe is the case with "Stairway to Heaven"), but then you've got people who are talented enough to purposefully play songs backwards and actually create words (Pink Floyd's "Empty Spaces").

I'll admit that this idea of "Satanic" messages (notice I'm constantly putting "Satanic" in parentheses, because I myself don't believe that the stuff is real) did inspire a lot more people to listen to it to try and determine if the song was in fact "Satanic", but whether or not this was ever discovered/hoaxed didn't seem to effect how great people realized this song was.

TheUltimateSin
03-05-2006, 07:28 PM
Quit bein a bitch page is arguably the best gitaurist of the 20th century

Actually, that is just your opinion on him, which is fine. I personally put Randy Rhoads, Ritchie Blackmore, Marty Friedman, and a few others way above Page on my list. But, that is my opinion.

And for your information, Derig is thelast person you want to be getting into a Page argument with. Especially if you're new here. Just thought I'd inform you of that. :)

Anywho......

That's the one thing I don't like about Trampled Underfoot.

As far as the "why STH is popular" thing, I think a lot of it has to do with the supposed "Satanic" messages in the song and the fact that the song changes from soft to harder to a solo that people love to a soft ending. It showcases almost all of the band's skills.

All of the people I know like Stairway because of the structure that it has that you just specified. I mean, regardless of the popular demand for bashing the song, it's a really good song as far as I am concerned. Personally, I prefer When the Levee Breaks over STH, but it's still a good song anyway.

CornLord
03-05-2006, 07:48 PM
I'll admit that this idea of "Satanic" messages (notice I'm constantly putting "Satanic" in parentheses, because I myself don't believe that the stuff is real) did inspire a lot more people to listen to it to try and determine if the song was in fact "Satanic", but whether or not this was ever discovered/hoaxed didn't seem to effect how great people realized this song was.
But it got more people to listen to it and to possibly realize that they enjoy the song. That's really all I meant. The more people that hear a song, the more people that'll like it, especially if it's young kids/teens that have never heard Zep before.

Maet
03-05-2006, 08:50 PM
^^Honestly, I don't think that the "Satanic" messages seemed to effect the popularity of the song itself too much. I mean, a lot of songs have "Satanic" messages besides "Stairway to Heaven" - including the "Pokemon Rap".

Henceforth, I move that we simply say Backwards Messages instead of 'Satanic Messages' because some in fact aren't satanic at all. Just suggestive.

And as for Backwards messages affecting the popularity of a song, Stairway To Heaven isn't necessarily a good example because the song's about as popular as it's ever going to be. But backwards messages on other songs, like Empty Spaces by Pink Floyd as you mentioned, do increase their popularity via causing people to go back to it, causing people to listen to it in the first place as it's a lesser known song and causing people to look into other songs by the band. But then again, there's the whole 'crap factor' where their isn't any message at all and it's just hyped up for no apparent reason, but it works none the less.

play th' geetar
03-06-2006, 11:57 AM
Whoever has the Led Zeppelin DVD 'desert'.

Whole lotta love at Knebworth, when the solo is over the band goes into another addition. Can anyone transcribe that guitar that jimmy is playing and pm it to me in a tab? The guitar is really intense their and i really want to play it cause im tired of air guitar.

Thanks!

deenrocks
03-06-2006, 12:04 PM
hay guys...am new here...i jus wanted to find someone who can give me a list of Led Zellelin's best 20 or 30 songs......
coz am new to led zeppelin..am new to rock.....i loved ten years gone and stirway to heaven....

i'd love it if someone can giv the list of the best of Led....coz i cannot get all the songs....

thanx alot

Maet
03-06-2006, 05:00 PM
hay guys...am new here...i jus wanted to find someone who can give me a list of Led Zellelin's best 20 or 30 songs......
coz am new to led zeppelin..am new to rock.....i loved ten years gone and stirway to heaven....

i'd love it if someone can giv the list of the best of Led....coz i cannot get all the songs....

thanx alot

Street Fightin' Man
Sympathy For The Devil
Money
Smells Like Teen Spirit
What I Like About You
Longview
Spirit of Radio
Tom Sawyer
Ohio
Heart of Gold
All My Life
Helena
No One Knows
I love Rock'n'Roll
Crossroads
Tears in Heaven
Come Together
Eruption
Let It Be

CornLord
03-06-2006, 05:39 PM
^ I don't know whether I should laugh or feel bad for deenrocks.

blues_rocker
03-06-2006, 06:47 PM
^ I'm pretty sure maet was joking...I hope...

TheUltimateSin
03-06-2006, 08:07 PM
^ I'm pretty sure maet was joking...I hope...

You obviously have not known Maet long enough then. :p:

And I agree with CornLord. I also can not figure out whether to laugh or feel bad for the guy.

Maet
03-06-2006, 09:01 PM
What?? You mean to tell me Led Zepplin didn't do all those songs?? What the hell kind of crap bands have I been listening to for the last few years?? :p:

KingBrendan5149
03-06-2006, 10:25 PM
^ was that a list of songs that just jumped in your head first or is that stuff you actually like?

deenrocks
03-07-2006, 01:37 AM
guys seriously.......... r they the best songs of Led......????? am gonna download them....thanx maet....
i hope they r the best Led has to offer.....if anyonr thinks that there r better songs....pls pls pls pls pls pls pls pls pls pls pls...giv me the names

deenrocks
03-07-2006, 05:40 AM
guys i asked someone alse for the best of LZ....and this is what he gave me......

1) Stairway to heaven
2) Rock and Roll
3) Fool i the rain
4) Myer Baker
5) Moby Dick
6) Black Dog
7) Good times bad times
8) Dazed and confused
9) The song remains the same
10) Kashmir [Unplugged version]
11) Since i've been lovin' you
12) Babe I'm gonna leave you
13) Whole lot of love
14) What is and what never should be
15) The Lemon song
16) Ramble On
17) Immigrant Song
18) Gallows Pole
19) Tangerine
20) Battle Of Evermore
21) Going to California
22) When the levee breaks free
23) No quarter
24) Nobody's Fault but mine
25) Achilles's Last Stand

not in any order....
i think that this list is more LZ than wat Maet gave me....coz
Smells Like Teen Spirit is by Nirvana....
2112 is by rush as far as i know....

i downloaded all the songs i listed above....
if u guys hav anything else to add...pls be my guest

wil
03-07-2006, 06:49 AM
-That's the way
-The Rover
-Over the Hills and Far Away
-No Quarter
-I cant quit you Baby
-Houses of the Holy
-The Ocean
-How many more Times
-Thank You
-Bron-y-aur
-Bron-yr-aur stomp
-You Shook me

I dont think ive heard 'Myer Baker' though, why not try 'D'yer M'aker' instead?

deenrocks
03-07-2006, 09:52 AM
-That's the way
-The Rover
-Over the Hills and Far Away
-No Quarter
-I cant quit you Baby
-Houses of the Holy
-The Ocean
-How many more Times
-Thank You
-Bron-y-aur
-Bron-yr-aur stomp
-You Shook me

I dont think ive heard 'Myer Baker' though, why not try 'D'yer M'aker' instead?

thanx alot man.....
i think he got the name rong Myer Baker should be 'D'yer M'aker'

knerken
03-07-2006, 09:56 AM
You should really add Trampled Underfoot to the list. That is some real funky sh*t, yo! :p:

crazynickman
03-07-2006, 10:00 AM
^nice inuendo in that song love it

BlueOyster23
03-07-2006, 06:44 PM
Their entire discography is pretty much awesome, especially "Hey Hey What Can I Do".

Also, the unplugged stuff is awesome too.

play th' geetar
03-07-2006, 06:56 PM
who here has the led zeppelin dvd "desert" one

moe_d
03-07-2006, 10:51 PM
I have the dvd and i also have the stuff originated from it. It's too good!

Garf72
03-08-2006, 11:29 AM
the stuff originated from it? explain

knerken
03-08-2006, 11:31 AM
the stuff originated from it? explain

I think he means where the DVD shows short concert clips, he has got the whole concerts, if you understand... ;)

Garf72
03-08-2006, 11:49 AM
lucky bastard, woulda loved to have seen Heartbreaker somewhere on that DVD.

ledhead73
03-08-2006, 03:02 PM
They wanted to use the Heartbreaker from Royal Albert Hall, but half the song is missing starting at Pagey's solo along with visuals to accompany it. However you can hear the first part of the song on the credits of the dvd.

moe_d
03-08-2006, 04:09 PM
Even on my bootleg of RAH there is only half of Heartbreaker.

Maet
03-08-2006, 04:10 PM
^ was that a list of songs that just jumped in your head first or is that stuff you actually like?

Stuff that just came to mind at the time. To be honest, I only like a few of those songs.

CornLord
03-08-2006, 05:43 PM
who here has the led zeppelin dvd "desert" one
I DO! Well, technically, it's my dad's, but I've watched it with him and borrowed it when he's gone put of town for a few days. I LOVE the Danmarks Radio performance.

Windfire
03-08-2006, 07:29 PM
learn the stairway to heaven solo that is like my favorite one but it is kinda easy

knerken
03-09-2006, 09:46 AM
learn the stairway to heaven solo that is like my favorite one but it is kinda easy

hm?

play th' geetar
03-09-2006, 02:44 PM
yea, one of my favorite things on the DVD is the Whole Lotta Love at knebworth

I love the part that they added to the song. Page gets really into it.

Also Bron-Yr-Aur stomp, the ocean, and dazed and confused are all amazing

Does anyone know a tab for the extended part of Whole Lotta Love, Knebworth? I really want to play that it is really cool.

knerken
03-10-2006, 04:20 PM
I really like Whole Lotta Love live versions, better than the studio version. I really hate that LSD-interlude thing! It really ruins the song! Luckily, they don't play that live...

TheHeartbreaker
03-10-2006, 08:13 PM
^^Do you mean the part before the solo with the slide work and weird "bee-buzzing" and "radio-signal" effects? If so...

On all the live versions of Whole Lotta Love I've heard, they do play this part. Also, I don't know why you think it "ruins the song". In fact, it's almost a perfect idea. So you've got this weird, psychedelic, almost scary noise, that, when listened with stereo headphones, makes your head swirl. It's absolutely crazy.

Then, out of nowhere, Bonham has this short fill and the Jimmy starts to solo. IMO, it's perfect. Similar in a sense to what they did in Dazed and Confused, where they would play the bow section live and just **** around for a few minutes before letting Jimmy break loose.

crazynickman
03-10-2006, 09:27 PM
^^and the way the vocals swirl in "Ramble ON" and the end; makes me dizzier than WLL

moe_d
03-10-2006, 09:46 PM
In fact, it's almost a perfect idea. So you've got this weird, psychedelic, almost scary noise, that, when listened with stereo headphones, makes your head swirl. It's absolutely crazy.

Ha, I slept with my walkman on and Whole Lotta Love woke me up and I thought something was happening to me and I was hearing scary noises in my mind I was really creeped out, but then I realised I forgot to turn my walkman off and it was only WLL. It made me love the song even more.

R0CKER1220
03-10-2006, 11:05 PM
I have Zeppelin in my stereo which (attempts) to wake me up, but if the chorus of Babe I'm Gonna Leave You comes on, i'm ****ing awake!

knerken
03-11-2006, 03:08 AM
^^Do you mean the part before the solo with the slide work and weird "bee-buzzing" and "radio-signal" effects? If so...

On all the live versions of Whole Lotta Love I've heard, they do play this part. Also, I don't know why you think it "ruins the song". In fact, it's almost a perfect idea. So you've got this weird, psychedelic, almost scary noise, that, when listened with stereo headphones, makes your head swirl. It's absolutely crazy.

Then, out of nowhere, Bonham has this short fill and the Jimmy starts to solo. IMO, it's perfect. Similar in a sense to what they did in Dazed and Confused, where they would play the bow section live and just **** around for a few minutes before letting Jimmy break loose.

Well, I'm really not the psychedelic kind of guy. ;) I haven't heard too many live versions of WLL, but the ones I've heard, they don't play it I think. My memory isn't the best though.. ;)

Garf72
03-11-2006, 07:24 AM
if you don't like the trippy bit, track down the old edited single or watch it at Knebworth, you'll be blown away :eek:
i personally think it's great for building up to the solo, gives it that extra punch. without it, it only sounds like another part to the song, if you get me

TheHeartbreaker
03-11-2006, 07:49 AM
I have Zeppelin in my stereo which (attempts) to wake me up, but if the chorus of Babe I'm Gonna Leave You comes on, i'm ****ing awake!

Lol. The chorus is so ****ing heavy, it's orgasmic. My friends and I were headbanging to the chorus one day out on the street.

People gave us some really weird looks.

Ha, I slept with my walkman on and Whole Lotta Love woke me up and I thought something was happening to me and I was hearing scary noises in my mind I was really creeped out, but then I realised I forgot to turn my walkman off and it was only WLL. It made me love the song even more.

I've done something similar to that, but the worst time I've ever forget to turn off my iPod was when... (a bit off topic, but, whatever)...

I had this huge exam in one of my classes, and earlier that day, I had been listening to Pink Floyd. I was listening to them on the bus, so my headphones were pretty loud to hear over the people and engine. Anyways, as I was leaving the bus, I turned off the iPod, and proceeded to put it on "Hold", but somewhere in the process, must have accidentally hit the click-wheel to turn it back on.

At this point, I'm assuming it was on "Stop", because I didn't hear anything playing, and if I had, would have turned it off. After about 10 minutes into the test, I hear the sound of a radar "ping", and realize Echoes has just started playing.

The teacher heard the music once the song started up, but I was lucky that it sounded further away from me. He came over to try and find the noise, and left the room to see if it was coming from down the hall. At that time, I proceeded to pull the headphones out of the jack, and got away with it.

If he had known it was me, he wouldv'e took my iPod and either failed me for the exam or have me retake it on Friday, which was a retake day, where if you didn't have to do a retake, you had the day off.

play th' geetar
03-11-2006, 10:19 AM
im guessing that noone knows a tab for the knebworth WLL?

TimiHendrix33
03-11-2006, 01:24 PM
Anyone know any semi-easy Zeppelin songs that wouldn't be to hard to learn?

I already know Stairway to Heaven,Black Dog, Rock and Roll,Four Sticks, and When the Levee Breaks.

thanks

EDIT: I just noticed all these are fom LZ IV.

TheHeartbreaker
03-11-2006, 01:29 PM
To be honest, I think Zeppelin songs are extremely easy to play; the only hard parts possibly being the solos.

However, whats easy to some people is hard to others and so forth like that. I'd recommend you learn Heartbreaker, and after that Livin' Lovin' Maid (She's Just A Woman), so that way, it's sounds like how most radio stations play these songs together because the space between them on the album is so short.

Also, some others...

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
Good Times Bad Times
The Girl I Love She Got Long Wavy Black Hair

Garf72
03-11-2006, 03:52 PM
im guessing that noone knows a tab for the knebworth WLL?

it's easy to work out, work it out yourself :p:

play th' geetar
03-11-2006, 05:05 PM
uumm i tried but i cant get it right (im bad a transcribing)

\please someone tab it!

CornLord
03-11-2006, 06:55 PM
I really hate that LSD-interlude thing! It really ruins the song!
I actually really like that part. Oh well, to each his/her own.

JimiSlashPage
03-11-2006, 07:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh8-ks6FpeE&search=led%20zeppelin

That got a chuckle out of me.

R0CKER1220
03-11-2006, 08:53 PM

you chuckle at nonsense then. . . . . . . . . a saw the same thing done to a fall out boy song, and Zeppelin is more than 999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,
999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999 times the band fall out boy shall ever be! i didn't find it that funny. . .

CornLord
03-12-2006, 12:52 AM

I have to admit that I laughed too.:D

knerken
03-12-2006, 05:09 AM

When I saw that I really forgot the lyrics, and almost thought that those were the real lyrics!

ugh... I'm tired..

CornLord
03-12-2006, 03:03 PM
When I saw that I really forgot the lyrics, and almost thought that those were the real lyrics!
:haha I can see where that would happen.

blues_rocker
03-12-2006, 06:52 PM

Haha that's pretty funny. I got a few chuckles from that :p: .

JimmyPageda2nd
03-12-2006, 08:13 PM

Haha... even though I'm a big Zep fan, that actually made me laugh the whole way through.

D-Fens
03-13-2006, 06:01 PM
Is there any Zeppelin song with a swear word? I could swear that in the Danish TV performance of Dazed and Confused on the DVD, Plant says "send you to hell" instead of "send you the bill, but i don't know for sure.

TheHeartbreaker
03-13-2006, 08:02 PM
^^Yeah, occasionally there'll be words like "damn" and "hell", and there's claims that Plant drops the "f-bomb" in Hots on for Nowhere, but I've never heard it anywhere in it before.

Garf72
03-15-2006, 12:19 PM
he throws in some lines about some cocaine that makes him sick (no pun intended) in dazed and confused live. it's either in the place of another verse or a new one altogether, never checked

BlueOyster23
03-15-2006, 07:43 PM
^Live "Dazed And Confused" he adds a lot of stuff to the verses, like changing the entire rhyming scheme.

Stula1031
03-15-2006, 08:59 PM
I've only heard the cocain makes me sick one.

Greendaytribute
03-16-2006, 08:49 AM
I'm 11 years old, and can play the whole song including the solo. (Stairway to heaven)

I Want Pussy
03-16-2006, 01:43 PM
Led Zeppelin= Best Band Ever

anyone who disagrees has a small penis. a penis so small that you piss on your balls.

TheHeartbreaker
03-16-2006, 03:02 PM
I'm 11 years old, and can play the whole song including the solo. (Stairway to heaven)

:golfclap:

Good for you... :rolleyes:

It's not hard...

CornLord
03-16-2006, 08:17 PM
^^Yeah, occasionally there'll be words like "damn" and "hell", and there's claims that Plant drops the "f-bomb" in Hots on for Nowhere, but I've never heard it anywhere in it before.
Hmm...next time I listen to that song I'll have to listen for it.

OMGIZZLEZ
03-16-2006, 10:33 PM
yeah , and ocassional(sp?) hell or damn, nothing to bad, i havnt heard about that f-bomb in Hots on for Nowhere, i'll check into it.

GotIbanez?
03-18-2006, 08:32 AM
I think Physical Graffiti is the best album.

TheHeartbreaker
03-18-2006, 08:41 PM
^^IMO, it probably is their best album. I believe I stated it before somewhere in this thread, but I beleive this album was where Zeppelin reached its climax. While Presence and In Through the Outdoor, the last two studio albums released before John Bonham died, were great, I think that Physical Graffiti trully was Zeppelin's greatest album.

The band had matured together through their previous five albums with songs of many different influences, and they put these influences together onto one double-disc album to create some of the greatest, and most unappreciated pieces of music (I mean unappreciated in the sense that most people who aren't into Zeppelin are likely to have not heard of the album) ever wriiten.

KingBrendan5149
03-18-2006, 09:43 PM
The band had matured together through their previous four albums with songs of many different influences, and they put these influences together onto one double-disc album to create some of the greatest, and most unappreciated pieces of music (I mean unappreciated in the sense that most people who aren't into Zeppelin are likely to have not heard of the album) ever wriiten.

don't you mean five albums? they had I,II,III,IV, and Houses of the Holy before Physical Grafitti. sorry about being super picking, it was just bothering me. :p:

TheHeartbreaker
03-18-2006, 10:36 PM
^^I feel so ashamed, how the **** did I forget Houses of the Holy, lol.

Thanks for pointing that out, though, I didn't want someone getting the wrong idea because I made a stupid mistake of forgetting one of Zep's great albums.

KingBrendan5149
03-18-2006, 11:52 PM
^^I feel so ashamed, how the **** did I forget Houses of the Holy, lol.

Thanks for pointing that out, though, I didn't want someone getting the wrong idea because I made a stupid mistake of forgetting one of Zep's great albums.

don't worry about it, it happens to the best of us sometimes :p:

moe_d
03-19-2006, 12:31 AM
Who else thinks Ten Years Gone from Knebworth(or almost any live version) rocks!!?
I love how it's unusual that Jones is playing rythm acoustic guitar instead of bass. Adds quite a diffrent feel to the song.

TheHeartbreaker
03-19-2006, 10:58 AM
^^Yeah, it is cool how they performed that song (one of their best and one of my personal favorites, I might add) live, but Jones would have to play this guitar thing while performing it with bass pedals installed...

http://www.harpguitars.net/history/org_images/Multi-neck/JPJ's_triple_neck-sedgwick.jpg

It became sort of inconvienient, so they stopped performing this live after 1977 until they played it (I believe for the last time) at the Knebworth Festival you mentioned, which was in 1979.

moe_d
03-19-2006, 12:28 PM
He used to play an Ovation 12 string on it in the 77 tours.
Heres video of Ten Years Gone from Knebworth, it's not official footage.
Ten Years Gone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlvTP8yhccE&search=ten%20years%20gone%20led%20zeppelin)

OMGIZZLEZ
03-19-2006, 05:09 PM
^^ awsome video. what guitar is jimmy playing in it though? it look slike a telecaster, but im probably wrong, cause i dont think he ever played one.

strateer
03-19-2006, 08:34 PM
in bron-y-aur stomp plant nearly says s**t in the lin "When you're old and your eyes are dim there ain't no more SHEP gonna happen again." He also ennunciates the intentional shep at the earls court in 1975

moe_d
03-19-2006, 11:31 PM
^^ awsome video. what guitar is jimmy playing in it though? it look slike a telecaster, but im probably wrong, cause i dont think he ever played one.

Yes, it's a Telecaster and it's also fitted with a Parson's B string bender, he used that tele especially for that song, and was later used in The Firm. I believe it's his second one in Zeppelin, the first one was used in tours in early 1969 and for the first Led Zeppelin album.

bluewilliams
03-20-2006, 04:47 PM
he also used a tele for most of the first album. and the stairway solo. ten years gone rules, its me fave zep song.

ZoSoII_13
03-20-2006, 05:01 PM
Does anyone think there is a heavier Zep song that Achilles Last Stand? I think this song is their most intense. What do you guys think about ALS?

Schecterman17
03-20-2006, 05:34 PM
:headbang: BBC Sessions defintely, I love III too.

blues_rocker
03-20-2006, 08:09 PM
Does anyone think there is a heavier Zep song that Achilles Last Stand? I think this song is their most intense. What do you guys think about ALS?

I think that it's an amazing song, I love the intro part then the loud riff that kicks in. Overall I think it's my favorite Zeppelin song.

CornLord
03-20-2006, 09:30 PM
He plays one on part of the first disc of the desert landscape DVD.

strateer
03-21-2006, 01:35 AM
the end of wearing and tearing off of coda is pretty heavy

9mmpainpill
03-21-2006, 06:23 AM

Just to name another song he uses a tele in "Dazed and Confused." He used a telecaster in this song because it allowed him to bend the string behind the nut for the harmonics.........cause the tele has a bigger space between the strings and the headstock. I'm moving to Headley Grange!

9mmpainpill
03-21-2006, 06:47 AM
I don't know if i'm including all of them but here is a list of the guitars Jimmy has owned and played with Zeppelin.

1958 Fender Telecaster-gift from Jeff Beck

Gibson "Black Beauty" Les Paul Custom-stolen in 1970

1959 Les Paul Standard- His "Number 1"

1958 Les Paul Standard-Bought from The Eagles Joe Walsh in early 70s

EDS-1275 Gibson Double-Neck-used live for "Stairway to Heaven" and on the record "In Through the Outdoor"

Jimmy's black and white Danelectro-used on "Kashmire"

1971 Martin D28-used for acoustic sets and I think on "Stairway."

Garf72
03-21-2006, 12:30 PM
Just to name another song he uses a tele in "Dazed and Confused." He used a telecaster in this song because it allowed him to bend the string behind the nut for the harmonics.........cause the tele has a bigger space between the strings and the headstock. I'm moving to Headley Grange!

he used the Tele on that whole album, he discovered the Les Paul recording Led Zeppelin II, just before Whole Lotta Love and Heartbreaker were recorded, look it up!

OMGIZZLEZ
03-21-2006, 10:51 PM
thanks for all the info, i never knew he used a tele, looks like he used it alot, i shoulda known

moe_d
03-21-2006, 11:11 PM
Just to add to that list, he had another 1973 Red Les Paul which he used rarely.
He had a lake placid blue Stratocaster which he used on stage for In The Evening.
And he used the second Telecaster (as seen in the video above) only for Ten Years Gone.

OMGIZZLEZ
03-21-2006, 11:27 PM
^ a red lp? awsome.

Eruption_911
03-22-2006, 12:14 AM
is there a solo for the immigrant song? My friends brother says there is but i cant hear it. Someone help pleez!!!

wil
03-22-2006, 05:37 AM
On How the West was Won the 3cd live thing they play Immigrant song and Page does quite a nice---albeit messy---solo over it.

9mmpainpill
03-22-2006, 06:38 AM
he used the Tele on that whole album, he discovered the Les Paul recording Led Zeppelin II, just before Whole Lotta Love and Heartbreaker were recorded, look it up!

I never said he didnt use a tele on that album...I was in fact, as I mentioned, "naming another song" that he used a tele in.

Do you think Bonzo could be my real father? :bonk:

JkHalen
03-23-2006, 10:28 PM
Well, i told a guy(or girl) that I'd post it here, so here you go for your viewing pleasure..
"Stairway to Heaven"(live video)
http://video.google.com./videoplay?docid=-782946580838900284&q=stairway+to+heaven

blues_rocker
03-23-2006, 10:31 PM
^^ That's a pretty cool video.

ridcullylives
03-23-2006, 11:02 PM
Page already is starting to look asian in the Knebworth clip.

TheUltimateSin
03-24-2006, 12:41 AM
Well, i told a guy(or girl) that I'd post it here, so here you go for your viewing pleasure..
http://video.google.com./videoplay?docid=-782946580838900284&q=stairway+to+heaven

You know what's funny? How Plant grabs a tambourine during the solo and starts "playing" it just to look important during the minutes he isn't singing. This is especially obvious since a simple tambourine can't be heard over the cymbols on Bonzo's drum set or Page's playing.

Why Mr. Plant, why?

marvelboy_04
03-24-2006, 09:55 AM
hey, thanks. that was me and my name is marvelBOY

moe_d
03-24-2006, 12:00 PM
You know what's funny? How Plant grabs a tambourine during the solo and starts "playing" it just to look important during the minutes he isn't singing. This is especially obvious since a simple tambourine can't be heard over the cymbols on Bonzo's drum set or Page's playing.

Why Mr. Plant, why?

Now why the **** would you say that.
He had a feel for the music in the song and decided to go along with it by playing a tambourine, he always played it in live stairway to heaven versions. I have many bootlegs of stairway which you can hear the tambourine and it sounds great.

Garf72
03-24-2006, 01:17 PM

Why Mr. Plant, why?

he was just so high, look at his face!