Where are ibanez guitars made?

PDA

View Full Version : Where are ibanez guitars made?

h0d0g
02-20-2006, 05:10 AM
Where are ibanez guitars made? I m buyin a new bass...fender or ibanez...or yamaha...........I know fender's r made in mexico/america....yamaha in asia/japan but wht about ibanez...i haf absolutely no idea where they're made....thx guys..

really tell me where like the low range r made in nnnnnnn where the top range r made in

handlerb
02-20-2006, 05:20 AM
Ibanez....made in Japan. General rule is: the closer to America, the better quality. PRS, Gibson, and Custom Shop Fenders are all made in US. The POS guitars are all made on the opposite end of the world (Asia). I'm not a bass player, but those I know swear by Fender basses (or Modulus, but those are pretty costly I'm sure).

Weybl Himself
02-20-2006, 05:33 AM
Ibanez....made in Japan. General rule is: the closer to America, the better quality. PRS, Gibson, and Custom Shop Fenders are all made in US. The POS guitars are all made on the opposite end of the world (Asia). I'm not a bass player, but those I know swear by Fender basses (or Modulus, but those are pretty costly I'm sure).

Must be an american. Ibanez are some of the most kickass basses and gutars in the world, providing (like any brand) you pick the right model. An upper range ibanez bass will easily sound and play a million times better than a mid-range fender. Americans don't always make the best guitars. Gimme an Ibanez or ESP over a Fender or Gibson anyday.

h0d0g
02-20-2006, 05:37 AM
yeah im aussie as well...but wht bout a mid range ibanez, such as RD500 or SR400? still made in america?

Weybl Himself
02-20-2006, 05:38 AM
low range Ibanez are built in Chini (i think) and some mid-range are built in Japan, others in China. Generall they still play really well, the difference will be in the sound.

Bonsaischaap
02-20-2006, 05:54 AM
Upper-range Ibanez guitars are built in Japan (Ibanez is a japanese company), the others in countries like Korea and Indonesia

handlerb
02-20-2006, 06:05 AM
Of course an expensive Ibanez is better than a low end Fender; unfair comparison. Take two comparable guitar/basses from either company, and in terms of quality the American made instrument is almost always better. I have an American strat that's almost 40 years old, and it is much better made, and in better shape than my very expensive Ibanez from 2 years ago. Cheap labor=cheap quality. It's not a question of which country is better, its a question of whether or not the labor is exported.

PS. Not to be a pig-headed American, but we do make the best guitars in the world. There is absolutely no question about that. There may be a few boutique/custom guitar makers throughout the world (I own a Patrick Eggle), but at the end of the day, the best stuff is made in the US.

p2fyre
02-20-2006, 06:09 AM
Yamaha RBX774 is almost as good as a Fender American Precision Bass and it's half the price. Can't go wrong.

Exius
02-20-2006, 06:17 AM

LoL. Japan-made guitars are good. Better than a fair bit of American-made guitars. Fender ISNT the only good guitar brand. Upper-mid range fender basses are good, and i know that Ibanez basses are kickass too, but really, it depends on what style of music you play and if you're looking for value or money. :cheers:

Voldragon
02-20-2006, 06:18 AM
I would take an Ibanez over any guitar at the minute. Just because its my style, they play the way I want them to. Regardless of where they come from. To me the general rule isnt its better from the US cus that is being a pig headed American. The general rule is does it sound and play the way I want it to, do I feel comfortable playing it. I couldnt give a damn where its from.

Croat
02-20-2006, 06:21 AM
Upper-range Ibanez guitars are built in Japan (Ibanez is a japanese company), the others in countries like Korea and Indonesia

ibanez isnt a japanese company, but they are made in japan i guess

shut_up_you_***
02-20-2006, 06:32 AM
ibanez isnt a japanese company, but they are made in japan i guess

err... actually it is! lol

http://www.ibanez.com/news/untold_story.asp

Not every great bass manufacturer is American. Sure, they base a lot of their activities there, because the American market is very lucrative. Yamaha and Warwick are examples of the top of my head.

eastern_riffs
02-20-2006, 06:44 AM
There is an Ibanez factory here in Indonesia if I'm not mistaken..Never seen it though because all factories are usually out of town..Don't really go out of town much.

But I know that all high end Ibanez are made in Japan..

handlerb
02-20-2006, 06:46 AM
I would take an Ibanez over any guitar at the minute. Just because its my style, they play the way I want them to. Regardless of where they come from. To me the general rule isnt its better from the US cus that is being a pig headed American. The general rule is does it sound and play the way I want it to, do I feel comfortable playing it. I couldnt give a damn where its from.

Nor I, but the best playing and sounding guitars (my opinion of course) happen to be from America. Then again, I can't stand modern rock (hair metal makes me cringe). Ibanez's are great for guys like Satch/Vai etc. I just happen to think they (the artists) are lame, preferring myself a more classic sound from guitars. So, in that sense I am biased toward a certain type of guitar (or rather away from a certain type of guitar, toward the rest). I believe Paul Reed Smith makes the best massed produced guitars money can buy. In second place would be Gibson. Third is Fender. Now, these are by far the three largest companies (all American). If being the producer most widely popular and endlessly copied instruments in the world doesn't make you the best what does?

You can hardly argue quality as a factor. The average guitar (not high end, I'll preemptively silence you, haha) made in Asia is of lesser quality than the average American made instrument. I've had squires and other Asian made guitars before, and they were pretty poorly made. Everything I've purchased in the States I still own.

That being said, I make a somewhat unfair argument. Right now, there are basically two places guitars are made: China/Japan/Korea/Indonesia and US/Mexico. Most guitar companies are American (the only popular exception being Ibanez) so naturally they will export their cheaper lines to asian countries for cheap labor. They are still made by American companies. When I originally said American made instruments, I meant those actually made within the US boundaries. This is a sign of quality and craftsmanship, when compared with those same companies foreign endeavors. If you are buying a Gibson, one made in Nashville, TN is probably better that an Epiphone made in Indonesia. Both are American companies (the same company), I'm simply using the production location to indicate quality.

handlerb
02-20-2006, 06:48 AM
Wow, I just noticed this was a bass thread (I linked from the main page). That could be some of the confusion...

Voldragon
02-20-2006, 07:00 AM
Yeah but thats the thing. The big companies, make there cheap guitars in Asia, and to make them cheap, they have to use inferior materials. So it is unfair to say that everything built elsewhere is not to good. I personally think they are built just as well, they just arent allowed to use the quality materials. Plus you ruled out Britain, I know Britain doesnt have a lot of guitar companies, but have you seen them, some of them are crafted excellently. take Burns for example http://www.burnsguitars.com/. I dont like the overall look of them that much, but you cannot fault the craftsmanship.

Exius
02-20-2006, 08:04 AM
Well...As handlerb said, some guitar companies make their guitars in Asia for the cheaper cost, inferior materials, etc. Even so, I still have this thing for Japanese made guitars. The way its put together is just...different from American made guitars. Not in an inferior way.
Of course its all in the parts they use. I guess if you want the best guitar/bass for yourself, you just have to custom-make one with the parts you want.

Bassilo
02-20-2006, 09:28 AM
Ibanez? AMERICAN?!

Bass-wise it's "Made in Korea/Indonesia/China up to the SR1005! (or the new 900) which are made in Japan.
Guitar-wise, it's up until those $500+ RG Series.

handlerb = agree with the best 'tars being made in the US.

Exius
02-20-2006, 11:15 AM
Ibanez? AMERICAN?!

Bass-wise it's "Made in Korea/Indonesia/China up to the SR1005! (or the new 900) which are made in Japan.
Guitar-wise, it's up until those $500+ RG Series.

handlerb = agree with the best 'tars being made in the US.

LoL. Who said ibanez was american!?

hothedgehog
02-20-2006, 12:46 PM
sorry, this is so random how the hell do you pronounce ibanez? I have one and i have no idea how to tell people what type of bass i have... Anyways, i love my Ibanez.. it kicks ass... it would be a really good idea to get one!

MastaBassist10
02-20-2006, 12:54 PM
Of course an expensive Ibanez is better than a low end Fender; unfair comparison. Take two comparable guitar/basses from either company, and in terms of quality the American made instrument is almost always better. I have an American strat that's almost 40 years old, and it is much better made, and in better shape than my very expensive Ibanez from 2 years ago. Cheap labor=cheap quality. It's not a question of which country is better, its a question of whether or not the labor is exported.

PS. Not to be a pig-headed American, but we do make the best guitars in the world. There is absolutely no question about that. There may be a few boutique/custom guitar makers throughout the world (I own a Patrick Eggle), but at the end of the day, the best stuff is made in the US.
You own an Eggle????!!! Lucky!

MetalUpTheAss
02-20-2006, 02:48 PM
Lowest = China
Mid = Korea, but things like the SR500 series will pwn most interests
High = Japan

shut_up_you_***
02-20-2006, 02:51 PM
sorry, this is so random how the hell do you pronounce ibanez?

I pronouce it eye-ban-nes.

Riryoku
02-20-2006, 02:56 PM
Typically, good middle to upper tier instruments are made in the United States, Japan, or Europe. Lower to middle tier instruments are made in other places, like Indonesia, China, etc.

MetalUpTheAss
02-20-2006, 03:04 PM
^ I'd say middle tier instruments = Korea

Lower class is indonesia & china.

But the order of quality goes from Japan, America, Europe in that order.

Jubagel
02-20-2006, 07:00 PM

excuse me did you just call ibanez guitars POS?

you're right.

yep.

they're crap, thats why lots of people use them

and they also sound great

sternobum
02-20-2006, 07:40 PM
^^ Oh, brother! Another one. Ibanez are POS. Accept it.

h0d0g
02-21-2006, 02:30 AM
bak to original point......i luv punk rock n some metal........but like every basser is like holding a fender p-bass....atm it seems fender's the way for most bassers. only famous person i know with an ibanez bass is the offspring dude....so im really not convinced...lol

Riryoku
02-21-2006, 02:36 AM
^^ Oh, brother! Another one. Ibanez are POS. Accept it.

Which one did you play? The top of the line GSR? :rolleyes:

blue_white_bass
02-21-2006, 04:28 AM
Khm... what bout europe? Warwick comes to mind (not a really big fan of those) but they have awesome tone and are well build. But other than that, it's just a matter of workforce, High End - Europe, America, Japan, middle Korea and similar, cheap China, Indonesia. It's just pure capitalisic logic, why spend good and expensive workforce to build instruments out of bad parts for low price, you give expensive and good parts to expensive workers. And let the cheap stuff be used by underpaid workers in china.