Bass into P.A.?

PDA

View Full Version : Bass into P.A.?

fatboy023456
02-22-2006, 08:56 PM
If I were to play a bass directly into a P.A. would there be any chance of the P.A. breaking (speaker blowing out etc.), or would it just not sound as good as if I were to play it into a bass amp?

Bumper
02-22-2006, 09:03 PM
It will sound fine. What size is the speaker, and how many watts is the power amp running?

fatboy023456
02-22-2006, 09:13 PM
I'm not sure what the size of the speaker is but I know it's 350 watts.

Bumper
02-22-2006, 09:15 PM
It should be fine. I really doubt that it will hurt it at all....unless you play at super high volumes it could crease the speaker (but playing anything through it that high will do that).

MANNY13
02-22-2006, 11:32 PM
hahaha the first time the band im in played a show at our school the school let us borrow their p.a. and we played master of puppets as a encore ....lol bad idea halfway thru the song the cab on the left started smokin like crazy!!!!! we got all scared but everyone was clapping and cheering so we kept going till the assistent principal said to stop ...but as long as you mike it right or plug in direct you should be good

83lespaulstudio
02-23-2006, 12:01 AM
running the bass direct into the P.A. board is a standard practice. i have learned from a different forum, about running a line direct, and mic'ing the amp, on a different channel, for a more rounded tone. i haven't tried it yet but, seems like a good idea.
:cool:

bassplayer33333
02-23-2006, 12:07 AM
It should be alright. I've had to do it for a couple of school concerts (I'm in the school jazz band).

shut_up_you_***
02-23-2006, 04:29 AM
If you have an active bass, it's best to use a DI box to regulate the signal.

John Swift
02-23-2006, 06:12 AM
running the bass direct into the P.A. board is a standard practice. i have learned from a different forum, about running a line direct, and mic'ing the amp, on a different channel, for a more rounded tone. i haven't tried it yet but, seems like a good idea.
:cool:
Quite correct as usual, what some of the other replies seem to miss is that it is not the wattage alone that counts, first of all you must have a speaker system that will handle Bass and bass drum.
15" speakers are the minimum size to run the Bass through the PA, idealy you should have a separate bass section crossed over to take the low mids downwards, I like to send evreything below 120hz to the bass bins this allows the top 15s to accomodate vocals without having to handle deep bass frequencies, for this you do need a separate power amp and an electronic crossover to split the signal.

FunkMaster
02-23-2006, 02:28 PM
Quite correct as usual, what some of the other replies seem to miss is that it is not the wattage alone that counts, first of all you must have a speaker system that will handle Bass and bass drum.
15" speakers are the minimum size to run the Bass through the PA, idealy you should have a separate bass section crossed over to take the low mids downwards, I like to send evreything below 120hz to the bass bins this allows the top 15s to accomodate vocals without having to handle deep bass frequencies, for this you do need a separate power amp and an electronic crossover to split the signal.
Also quite correct as usual :)

I doubt that your PA will be an active two-way system... So unless you do that, the sound won't be that great. And to run the bass trough the PA, it's best to have at least 15" speakers.
What you could do is this: connect your bass to the PA, and pan it hard right or left (wherever you're standing on stage), and pan the mics hard to the other side...
This way bass and vocals won't mix up and the vocals will sound pretty clean. This however, is not an ideal way of working...

As far as micing/DIing goes:
a DI is quickly placed, easy to set-up on the FOH-desk, and gives you a nice sterile tone to work with, with a lot of definition, and easy to shape the tone on the FOH.
a mic is more work with placement, takes a bit more to set-up, but gives you a very warm tone wich I like.
So the best way is combining both. I've used this quite some times (both when I was playing, as when I was doing the FOH-mix) and it sounds very nice when done properly.
But if you don't have much time for setting it up, or if you don't feel confident, just use a DI. Most people won't notice, it sounds good and is easy to work with. But do use a DI and not a line-out.

aviantiefling
02-24-2006, 01:42 PM
the way we had it set up for the Battle of the Bands at my school was having the bands bring in their own amps and then micing those into the PA. you get more control over the sound of your bass that way, and if you have effect pedals and other things of that nature, having your own amp that you're used to would come in handy. it's best to keep as many constants as possible, and if you can count your sound as one of those, i think you're better off.

rockerc
02-24-2006, 05:09 PM
I'm about to join a band, and we're gonna use a PA. Because neither I nor the guitarist has a loud enough amp. Going to get them next month. When we have enough money. But I could mic my amp. But I have the Shure Beta 58A mic. Which is used for vocals. Jacoby Shaddix from Papa Roach, MCR's singer, Velvet Revolver's singer sometimes uses it. It's made for vocals. Would that be good enough to mic my amp? At least until we get those louder amps? Or would it just sound better plugging into the PA directly since the mic isn't an instrument mic?

mong12345
02-24-2006, 06:18 PM
^^that depends on which sounds better your amp or the PA?
if u have a cheapy 10watt amp then you may aswell plug it direct into the PA or it's going to sound horrible i'm not sure what would be loader though
oh and if you have a 5 string bass bad idea using a PA thats how i damaged mine

Pysmone
02-24-2006, 06:23 PM
Meh, random fact.

The bassist for Death From Above 1979 put PA speakers in his bass cab for the high-end, electric guitar sound he gets. He uses and acoustic head too.

:liplick:

Bumper
02-25-2006, 10:57 AM
I use a guitar head with two PA cabinets. Or at least I used to.

FunkMaster
02-25-2006, 11:45 AM
I've used two 12" PA speakers underneath my bassamp once, and it works just fine...
PA speakers are pretty much the same, but a different combination of speakersizes.
15" and 18" enclosures are the built the same way as bassreflex subwoofers...