Newbie painting a strat body

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie painting a strat body

auranos
02-24-2006, 05:25 PM
Well, I've decided to customize my old strat copy. The body is solid alder, but everything from the neck to the input jack is awful. So I (gently) ripped out all the internals, took off the neck, and now I have a solid alder strat body in an alpine white finish. Now what?

I want to paint it a different color, maybe throw in a racing stripe like the one on the gold John Mayer signature Strat. Since the finish is white already, do I need to sand it down etc. to paint over the top? Or can I get away with spraying a coat or two on top? Anything else I need to know about painting the body I didn't ask about? Remeber, I'm completely new to this whole thing so be patient with me :D

kaplac
02-24-2006, 05:41 PM
Scuff sand the whole body with 220-400 grit paper, and spray your stripe, lacquer.

auranos
02-25-2006, 03:53 PM
Will the scuff sanding prevent the paint and lacquer from running?

SuperAnalytical
02-25-2006, 04:10 PM
Not necessarily, the scuff sand process is more of a time saver than anything. You just scrape up the existing paint to make it accept the new coats.

kaplac
02-25-2006, 05:50 PM
No, it won't stop the paint from running. You have to scuff it so the paint you are spraying will stick to the body and not chip off. If you do get runs however you can sut sand them down and spray it again, not much of a big problem.

HookInMouth
02-25-2006, 06:24 PM
Runs are usually causedby you, the painter.

RevRock
02-25-2006, 09:35 PM
Get a random orbital sander with some 150-200 grit paper and strip that puppy down. Start fresh. Use a good basecoat/graphics/clearcoat system and you'll have a happy finish that won't mess up on you. Remember, basecoats are flat, not gloss.

kaplac
02-25-2006, 10:27 PM
^You at least need a sealer before the basecoat if you take that approach.

auranos
02-27-2006, 02:56 PM
Well thanks everyone. I think I'll try the scuffsanding approach because I don't have anything more sophisticated than a sanding block. If I really get into it, maybe I'll buy a sander and strip it down and start from the beginning. Maybe I'll make a thread about my guitar if I ever get beyond this step!