fingerstyle or pick

PDA

View Full Version : fingerstyle or pick

3d_guru
02-25-2006, 11:05 AM
1. on acoustic guitar (narrow neck), is it better to play with a pick or fingerstyle? i mean, it seems kinda hard to use fingers because of such small spacing between the strings?

2. how about on a classic guitar?

3. does Al di Meola use a pick or fingerstyle? :D

The Pickle Man
02-25-2006, 11:19 AM
Well...

1. You should learn and master both styles of playing. Different songs use different styles of playing, and you are limiting yourself if you stick to only one style.

2. I don't believe I've ever seen a classical guitar played with a pick. Fingerstyle seems to be the fastest way to play there, since the strings are so far apart it would be hard to jump back and forth between strings accurately and quickly.

3. Weird Al Yankovich? He doesn't play guitar.

3d_guru
02-25-2006, 11:35 AM
yea i know it would be best if i master both styles. i'm planning on learning fingerstyle also, but not just yet i guess.

i practice on the classical guitar with a pick, EXACTLY because the strings are so far apart. so picking is then a lot easier when i finally switch to my acoustic.

Weird Al Yankovich?? :p: wuz that all about?

is it impossible to play with a pick on classical guitar?
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/4585/468tx.th.jpg

jjbennett
02-25-2006, 02:39 PM
Al Di Meola finger picks an Ovation, he is a guitar god though, listen to meditterranean sundance, thats a finger picked acoustic, he has stone for fingers.

As for flat pick or fingerstyle, learn both - buy unplugged by Eric Clapton, theres a mix and it shows how each style suits different songs.

J.

3d_guru
02-25-2006, 07:05 PM
yea man i listen to this song all days long, i just can't stop pressing the PLAY button over and over again :) it really is awesome performance, not just speedwise but the composition is so fluent and easy to "digest".

but isn't it hard to finger pick an acoustic guitar? i mean, the strings are so close to each other it's hard to get the tip of a finger in the right position.

Al Di Meola IS a guitar god i agree on that one. Paco De Lucia is also one of my fav

jjbennett
02-26-2006, 06:57 AM
Its a little harder on an acoustic but thats why Martins with a wider fretboard were invented!

poordoggie
02-26-2006, 07:27 AM
I can't pick with my fingers! :( It hurts!

halfpast2
02-26-2006, 09:50 AM
it only hurts until you develop the callices on your finger tips. i developed these after a couple days of strict finger picking.

jjbennett
02-26-2006, 02:14 PM
Just dont play fingerstyle on acoustics when yuo get out of the bath, i did and as such i have no fingers for the time being!

Just practice is all it takes. Try and learn black bird by paul mc cartney, its easy, sounds good and is finger picked in a style that develops your technique.

J.

fsb_ben
02-26-2006, 02:47 PM
I can't pick with my fingers! :( It hurts!

I purposely leave the nails on the thumb, index and middle finger so i fingerpick with those. Ever try that?

underpants
02-26-2006, 04:11 PM
I started playing with a pick many years ago, until I realised all the best guitar tunes are played fingerstyle.

ALSO (and this is important)

If you develop your fingerstyle on your guitar now... you'll be able to play the STICK with ease...

WHAT??? YOU HAVEN'T HEARD OF THE STICK!!!

CLICK HERE AND WATCH THE VIDEOS OF THE STICK IN ACTION!! (http://www.stick.com/method/)

guitartherapist
02-26-2006, 07:15 PM
Personally, I've always enjoyed fingerstyle more than picking. To me the pick--if not done right-- can sound a bit plasticy. Finger picking, gives the guitar a warmer sound.

blu_flame34
02-28-2006, 11:23 PM
1. on acoustic guitar (narrow neck), is it better to play with a pick or fingerstyle? i mean, it seems kinda hard to use fingers because of such small spacing between the strings?

My guitar is pretty narrow-necked and I prefer to fingerpick. I don't find it difficult at all but I've been used to it because I've had it since 8th grade.

2. how about on a classic guitar?

My mom has a classical so I grew up with it and started messing around on it sometime when I was younger. I don't think picks are very suited to classical guitars, and I've never seen it done successfully.

golfskip
02-28-2006, 11:37 PM
It's a good idea to learn both. Even when playing with a pick,there are times when you will want to hit some notes with the fingers.(there is a huge difference in tone whether a string is picked with a pick,or pulled with a finger)

3d_guru
03-01-2006, 05:03 AM
Al Di Meola finger picks an Ovation, he is a guitar god though, listen to meditterranean sundance, thats a finger picked acoustic, he has stone for fingers.

i've downloaded Al's concert in Montreal, 1998. first few songs he played on Ovation, and i'm definately sure he was using a pick.
follow this link... http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7090390871482877555&q=al+di+meola

the finger position doesn't really suite fingerstyle, and you can see the action when playing fast parts.

btw...i've started learning fingerstyle yesterday. it's definately great i must say. eventhough i'm just a fingerstyle beginner, i can only imagine how much better the control of the strings is. I LIKE IT :)

I purposely leave the nails on the thumb, index and middle finger so i fingerpick with those. Ever try that?

i've heard a lot of people growing nails for that purpose but, it seems kind OUCHish!

blues_rocker
03-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Yngwie uses a pick on is classical guitar :o

But seriously, fingerpicking is way better for classical, and on acoustic I've seen both so it would be wise to learn both.

soroush
03-02-2006, 01:27 PM
I love finger style but pick is better

3d_guru
03-03-2006, 04:46 AM
yea well fingerstyle IS cool, there's no doubt about that.
but i still find pick a better tool for picking strings. the sound is much cleaner, while when playing with fingers, the sound is kinda dull and too soft.

3d_guru
03-03-2006, 04:47 AM
yea well fingerstyle IS cool, there's no doubt about that.
but i still find pick a better tool for picking strings. the sound is much cleaner, while when playing with fingers, the sound is kinda dull and too soft.

as for fingernails, i dunno bout that :) i've seen some guys with long fingernails but maaan that looks so...NOT good :D