its gonna be freakin awesome!!!
just hope it comes soon

frd_marshll
08-28-2008, 03:42 PM
im in the middle of listening to yoshimi

its been awhile

SRX700
09-08-2008, 11:36 PM
I thought you guys might be interesting in this: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=954272

sakura'sdarkest
10-23-2008, 03:14 PM
Can anyone recommend me more songs? I've listened to The W.A.N.D and I was wondering if they have any more songs with the same type of 'feeling'.

ohhey9040
10-24-2008, 01:38 AM
Try some mid-90's stuff of Transmissions From The Sattelite Heart and Clouds Taste Metallic. Two excellent albums.

Also, Christmas on Mars is coming to my local arthouse theater on Halloween. I must say I'm stoked.

Bentheemo
11-10-2008, 09:31 PM
I love the Flaming Lips, theyre amazing. The song It Over Takes Me and Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots pt. 1 are amazing.

Andrewbiles
11-11-2008, 12:32 PM
Also, Christmas on Mars is coming to my local arthouse theater on Halloween. I must say I'm stoked.

Is this a proper film? Or is it just another live / documentary piece?
Only heard about it the other day and couldn't work it out.

uhh_me?
11-11-2008, 04:54 PM
i think it is a film film. i haven't had a chance to pick it up yet and i haven't heard much about plot...

Andrewbiles
11-11-2008, 05:50 PM
It's Christmastime, and the colonization of Mars is underway. However, when an oxygen generator and a gravity control pod malfunction, Major Syrtis (the Lips' Steven Drozd) and his team (including the Lips' Michael Ivins) fear the worst. Syrtis also hallucinates about the birth of a baby, and many other strange things. Meanwhile, a compassionate alien superbeing (Coyne) arrives, inspiring and helping the isolated astronauts.

Is it the thing they were talking about briefly in the 'Fearless freaks' documentary?
I vaguely remember him having props in his garden for some alien movie.

ohhey9040
11-11-2008, 06:33 PM
I saw it. It's pretty out there. I thought it was great but it probably won't be to everyone's taste. If you're a Lips fan, though, it's worth checking out.

uhh_me?
11-12-2008, 01:50 PM
i remember hearing something about Isaac Brock being in it, any truth to that?

ohhey9040
11-12-2008, 06:14 PM
I don't know what he looks like, so I can't answer that for sure, but his name is in the credits so I would think so.

Hendrix_fan_14
11-16-2008, 03:05 AM
so i just ordered this t-shirt

http://store.flaminglips.com/sites/flaminglipsstore/files/products/robottee.jpg

can't wait till it arrives.

Monkeygone2hvn
11-16-2008, 03:48 AM
i just ordered christmas on mars from amazon cant wait for it to get here...

myself101
11-17-2008, 12:09 AM
i know i'm probably going to get flamed for this, but does anyone else find yoshimi to be greatly superior to soft bulletin? i think yoshimi is about 1000x better.

Yoshimi is the best.

RaveRock
11-18-2008, 09:28 PM
I saw Christmas on Mars the other day and I have to say I loved it! Funny, crazy, and weird all in one package. Every thing I could have wanted from The Lips!

Andrewbiles
11-19-2008, 11:17 AM
^ Can you follow the plot of it?

I'm sure I'm not the only one that would expect a Flaming Lips film to be impossible to follow.

Does it look incredibly cheap?

ohhey9040
11-19-2008, 06:16 PM
^I thought it was hard to follow at times, but I was able to get the gist of it. It looks cheap, but I think they did it that way intentionally. It seemed like they were aiming to make one of those wierd cult movies, and I think they succeeded.

Monkeygone2hvn
11-20-2008, 03:11 AM
christmas on mars was one of the weirdest movies i've ever seen. i loved it though. the profanity in it made me laugh, just because how ridiculous it was

Blue Motion
11-20-2008, 04:44 AM
i saw christmas on mars over the summer at the 10,000 lakes festival. they had a screening in a circus tent. so i got to watch it with like 50 people including wayne. it was awesome.

weirdest ****ing thing i've ever seen. i loved it.

spunky_chooken
11-21-2008, 12:35 AM

I have that t-shirt
I asked my japanese teacher what it says on the front and he said it was something along the line of "You're happy. You don't need to cry"
something about not needing to cry
and on the back it says "the flaming lips"

Andrewbiles
11-21-2008, 10:46 AM
^I thought it was hard to follow at times, but I was able to get the gist of it. It looks cheap, but I think they did it that way intentionally. It seemed like they were aiming to make one of those wierd cult movies, and I think they succeeded.

It didn't sound like it would have much of a budget and I guess for them it was more of a laugh as they all star in it.
Might have to check it out, don't know if it sounds like it's worth buying without seeing it first though.

RaveRock
11-22-2008, 12:28 AM
^ Can you follow the plot of it?

I'm sure I'm not the only one that would expect a Flaming Lips film to be impossible to follow.

Does it look incredibly cheap?

I could follow the plot pretty well.
1. Baby is being made on mars to see if humans can live in space but the government cuts the funding.
2. With lack of funding and the pure crazy the baby's setting off everyone starts freaking out and starts seeing things.
3. Wayne shows up to help.
4. Main character finds out if the baby dies the universe ends.

Also, VAGINA HEADED MARCHING BAND FTW.

A.RonDon
11-23-2008, 10:16 PM
Their cover of Bohemian Rhapsody is meh at best but other than that they are a great band
the album "At War with the Mystics" is incredibly awesome, and prob. their best

ohhey9040
11-24-2008, 02:23 AM
Hell ****ing yes.

Monkeygone2hvn
11-24-2008, 02:30 AM

agreed thought that was the funniest part of the whole thing, quality film making from the mind of wayne coyne haha

DigUpHerBones
12-03-2008, 07:13 AM
I don't know where the sunbeams end and the star lights begin, it's all a mystery

:heart:

Hendrix_fan_14
12-03-2008, 08:24 AM
I don't know where the sunbeams end and the star lights begin, it's all a mystery

:heart:

YES.

listened to Yoshimi today.
So beautiful.

TheHeartbreaker
12-03-2008, 10:02 PM

A friend of mine has that same shirt. It's awesome.

fightrobbert!
12-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Yoshimi is the best.

This is wrong. Yoshimi is probably one of the least exciting albums by this band. Clouds Taste Metallic is probably their best album, and The Soft Bulletin is close behind.

evanm31
12-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Zaireeka anyone?

ohhey9040
12-12-2008, 11:13 PM
This is wrong. Yoshimi is probably one of the least exciting albums by this band. Clouds Taste Metallic is probably their best album, and The Soft Bulletin is close behind.
I thing Yoshimi is a great album, but I agree Clouds and The Soft Bulettin are better. Of the ones I have, my list goes:
1. The Soft Bulletin
2. Clouds Taste Metallic
3. Yoshimi
4. Transmissions From The Sattelite Heart

Although I'm still missing Hit to Death, In a Preist Driven Ambulance, and Mystics, so my list could end up changing somewhat.

Tweez
12-13-2008, 01:04 AM
Never was a huge fan of them, but I do love The Soft Bulletin.

DigUpHerBones
12-14-2008, 09:39 AM
I like Yoshimi. It's subject matter and just the way the story is presented relates more to me.

daft
12-14-2008, 11:13 AM
Zaireeka anyone?

I have it, haven't tried it properly yet though!

If you can get the Soft Bulletin companian zip-set which is kicking about on the internet, it has each of tracks of the album mastered together. Loads of other good stuff in that set aswell.

guitarguy0153
12-31-2008, 02:33 AM
Lips are amazing. They're even more amazing in concert. Saw them on New Years last year.. sadly won't get to make it this year.

Lookatmegooo
12-31-2008, 02:39 AM
I love the Flaming Lips. Sadly it appears major retailers don't carry their concert DVD, or at least the two I checked.

lushacrous
06-05-2009, 03:08 PM
The Flaming Lips have been my favorite band ever for a couple years now. I'm gonna see them live for the first time at Pitchfork this summer, and I'm super excited! I own all their albums from In a Priest Driven Ambulance on, minus Zaireeka (my friend actually downloaded a torrent for all 4 cds of Zaireeka and we're gonna try it out sometime).

I gotta say that my favorite album is At War with the Mystics, despite what most fans think. I love every song on it, and the sound quality is perfect. But regardless, the Flaming Lips rule :)

Jack Off Jill
06-05-2009, 03:18 PM
The Flaming Lips have been my favorite band ever for a couple years now. I'm gonna see them live for the first time at Pitchfork this summer, and I'm super excited! I own all their albums from In a Priest Driven Ambulance on, minus Zaireeka (my friend actually downloaded a torrent for all 4 cds of Zaireeka and we're gonna try it out sometime).

I gotta say that my favorite album is At War with the Mystics, despite what most fans think. I love every song on it, and the sound quality is perfect. But regardless, the Flaming Lips rule :)
I used my brother's ID to see them with Sonic Youth, and it was amazing. But after I saw some of their more current live shows, it doesn't look like they've changed anything. Good luck getting Zaireeka to work. That thing is seriously a bitch to operate. I thought At War with Mystics was really cool, too. But that might have something to do with preferring the band when they had a lot of guitar playing. That damn Wayne Coyne needs to call Ronald up and tell him there's no more heroin in the band, so he can join again. I wanna see Ronald in the band again. Or at least want him to do something. Anything. It could be forming a band with Kim Thayil, I don't care.

lushacrous
06-05-2009, 03:28 PM
I used my brother's ID to see them with Sonic Youth, and it was amazing. But after I saw some of their more current live shows, it doesn't look like they've changed anything. Good luck getting Zaireeka to work. That thing is seriously a bitch to operate. I thought At War with Mystics was really cool, too. But that might have something to do with preferring the band when they had a lot of guitar playing. That damn Wayne Coyne needs to call Ronald up and tell him there's no more heroin in the band, so he can join again. I wanna see Ronald in the band again. Or at least want him to do something. Anything. It could be forming a band with Kim Thayil, I don't care.
I'd kill to see how they'd do Turn It On or Pilot Can at the Queer of God live nowadays.

Jack Off Jill
06-05-2009, 03:54 PM
I'd kill to see how they'd do Turn It On or Pilot Can at the Queer of God live nowadays.
I couldn't tell you. They didn't really play anything older when I saw them. Fortunately, I didn't listen to older Flaming Lips when I saw them. But I would kill to see Ronald in the band again, I think he could add a lot of cool stuff now that they have more money for him to get really cool equipment with. I agree with what someone said earlier about Yoshimi.. It's cool, but I think it's kind of boring after hearing their old work. It definitely could have used more Ronald Jones on it. And now the reason he quit the band is gone, so they may as well try to get him back.. But Wayne seems like the type of guy to hold a grudge, since he still dislikes Beck so much. I wonder why he doesn't do anything anymore.. like release solo albums or whatever. I know there's the theory that he's got Asperger's Syndrome, but that doesn't seem like a good excuse.. look at the guy from the Vines.

Edit: Oh wow, it's really creepy how much Wayne Coyne used to look like Eddie Vedder.

soundgarden19
06-05-2009, 04:09 PM
I saw them live about a month back, and it was phenomonal.

lushacrous
06-05-2009, 04:27 PM
I couldn't tell you. They didn't really play anything older when I saw them. Fortunately, I didn't listen to older Flaming Lips when I saw them. But I would kill to see Ronald in the band again, I think he could add a lot of cool stuff now that they have more money for him to get really cool equipment with. I agree with what someone said earlier about Yoshimi.. It's cool, but I think it's kind of boring after hearing their old work. It definitely could have used more Ronald Jones on it. And now the reason he quit the band is gone, so they may as well try to get him back.. But Wayne seems like the type of guy to hold a grudge, since he still dislikes Beck so much. I wonder why he doesn't do anything anymore.. like release solo albums or whatever. I know there's the theory that he's got Asperger's Syndrome, but that doesn't seem like a good excuse.. look at the guy from the Vines.

Edit: Oh wow, it's really creepy how much Wayne Coyne used to look like Eddie Vedder.
Yeah, I think She Don't Use Jelly is the only pre-Soft Bulletin song they play live. And I never heard too much of the Wayne and Beck think, I always thought what I had heard was a joke. Care to elaborate? I know they, or at least some of them, hate Radiohead, but I always thought the band was friends with Beck. But yeah, Wayne definitely seems like one of the nicest people ever.

Jack Off Jill
06-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Yeah, I think She Don't Use Jelly is the only pre-Soft Bulletin song they play live. And I never heard too much of the Wayne and Beck think, I always thought what I had heard was a joke. Care to elaborate? I know they, or at least some of them, hate Radiohead, but I always thought the band was friends with Beck. But yeah, Wayne definitely seems like one of the nicest people ever.
The Flaming Lips used to be a backup band for Beck, and went on tour with him. They didn't like the way he treated his crew, I guess. But that might have something to do with the fact that the Lips tend to help set their equipment up, and don't just leave it to their roadies. Apparently they think he's stuck up or something. They think that about several bands.. I think there was a UG article on it recently, except not about Beck, it was about some other band. Kings of Leon, maybe.. I can't remember.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ySL4VgFdIE

Maybe he just hates him cause all Beck would let him do was touch that thing he has in his acoustic guitar. And cause Beck is a better dancer.

DorkusMalorkus
06-06-2009, 12:03 PM
There was some mud slinging between The Flaming Lips and The Arcade Fire too, no?

Jack Off Jill
06-06-2009, 08:58 PM
There was some mud slinging between The Flaming Lips and The Arcade Fire too, no?
That may have been who I was thinking of. Man, that Wayne needs to simmer down. Or at least convert to a career in hip-hop where that kind of thing is acceptable.

lushacrous
06-07-2009, 07:25 AM
I gotta say that Stephen Drozd is one of the most underrated musicians I know of. He's single-handily recorded nearly all non-lead vocals parts in all their songs on the last 3 albums (4 if you count Christmas on Mars, which is a whole different story, I don't know what to think of that movie), which includes some pretty incredible stuff. I don't think I can ever get that awesome drum part to Race for the Prize out of my head.

EDIT: Which reminds me, next album, Embryonic, is supposed to come out later this year, AND be a double-album. I'm extremely excited :D

tpen892004
06-07-2009, 02:22 PM
The Soft Bulletin is defiantly their best work.

Jack Off Jill
06-30-2009, 11:02 AM
The Soft Bulletin is defiantly their best work.
I like In a Police Driven Ambulance and Transmissions from a Satellite Heart better. Mainly because it's such a shock to hear them after you hear the later work. Like.. Oh wow, the cartoon characters can actually get pretty heavy sometimes. Plus, I really like the interplay between Drozd and Jones on Transmissions.

They just need to do a Yes style reunion tour where every member of the band comes back for a really really long show. I'd be so happy.

DorkusMalorkus
06-30-2009, 01:46 PM
MGMT and Karen O on Embryonic??? NICE

Dr Collosus
07-01-2009, 01:08 AM
can't wait for embryonic!

fake_shemp
07-02-2009, 05:43 AM
One of my favorite bands! Im going to be seeing them live in August and I cant wait. My "favorites" list changes now and then, but right now it goes like this:
1. Cloud Taste Metallic
2. The Soft Bulletin
3. Yoshimi tied with Transmissions from the Satellite Heart

Anyone hear the three tracks off Embryonic they released early? "Silver Trembling Hands" is FOOKING AWESOME, ya guys gotta check em out.

DorkusMalorkus
07-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Silver Trembling Hands. (http://hypem.com/track/854419/The+Flaming+Lips+-+Silver+Trembling+Hands)

Enjoy, kids.

madefortvmovie
07-03-2009, 11:53 PM
holy ****. saw them live in april. wow.

their live show absolutely blew me away. i went in with such high expectations, having heard so much about their legendary performances, and even with that they blew my mind. the sound was perfect, the energy on stage, the dancing teletubbies on stage (one of the teletubbies actually proposed to the other during the show), the INSANE light show, huge balloons, limitless confetti, human hamster ball, etc.

definitely a band that everyone should see before they die.

simmy17
07-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Hey guys, I haven't listened to The Flaming Lips pretty much at all, but I heard sound clips from Yoshimi and Zaireeka. I was thinking of picking up Yoshimi next time I go into town, but what would you guys recommend?

MusicalMinority
07-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Get it. You won't regret it.

Hey, madefortvmovie, where did the Flaming Lips come? I live in Tennessee too, but I never heard that they came here.

Monkeygone2hvn
07-09-2009, 11:23 PM
they're from oklahoma city

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flaming_Lips

MusicalMinority
07-10-2009, 12:04 AM
Sorry, my wording was a little misleading... I meant to ask which part of Tennessee they came to while they were on tour.

madefortvmovie
07-10-2009, 01:33 AM
Sorry, my wording was a little misleading... I meant to ask which part of Tennessee they came to while they were on tour.

They played in Nashville at Vanderbilt University. Every year Vandy has a rites of spring festival for two days in April, and the Flaming Lips headlined the second night

Hendrix_fan_14
07-28-2009, 08:10 AM
Seeing them tomorrow!

So unbelievably excited.

panterarocker
07-30-2009, 06:53 PM
I love The Flaming LIps they're probably my favorite band. I've been listening/watching the live UFO's at the Zoo concert a lot but everything is fantastic by them. I've listened to Zaireeka properly twice and I need to do it again soon.

Hendrix_fan_14
07-31-2009, 02:44 AM
http://www.setlist.fm/widgets/setlist-image-v1?id=33d6402d

That's the setlist they played.

Amazing show. Couldn't have been better!

madefortvmovie
07-31-2009, 02:56 AM
http://www.setlist.fm/widgets/setlist-image-v1?id=33d6402d

That's the setlist they played.

Amazing show. Couldn't have been better!

very similar to the set the played in nashville.

the progression of W.A.N.D -> She Don't Use Jelly -> Do You Realize? was just unreal. Total sensory overload :)

soundgarden19
07-31-2009, 10:02 AM
very similar to the set the played in nashville.

the progression of W.A.N.D -> She Don't Use Jelly -> Do You Realize? was just unreal. Total sensory overload :)

Glad to see someone from UG went too. Where were you crowd wise?

Lukin4
08-03-2009, 05:45 AM
saw these guys at Splendour in the Grass just over a week ago....... hadn't really heard much of them previously, but a mate gave me 3 of their albums a few months back so i at least knew some songs before seeing them...

they were amazing!!!!! will definitely be catching them again next time they come to australia :)

DigUpHerBones
08-07-2009, 11:54 AM
:( I left the country and the tickets for the Manchester gig sold out.

JackWhite333
08-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Hi, I have At War With The Mystics so far, and was wondering what my next Lips purchase should be...I was thinking either Yoshimi or The Soft Bulletin, but I can't decide...Any help would be appreciated

Hendrix_fan_14
08-10-2009, 03:38 AM
Hi, I have At War With The Mystics so far, and was wondering what my next Lips purchase should be...I was thinking either Yoshimi or The Soft Bulletin, but I can't decide...Any help would be appreciated

The Soft Bulletin then Yoshimi.

So excited about Embryonic the new songs were so good live! :liplick:

Tsunoyukami
08-14-2009, 12:05 AM
I currently own At War With the Mystics and The Soft Bulletin and I've got Yoshimi on my computer. What should I listen to next?

DorkusMalorkus
08-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Just saw them live last night! So freaking fantastic!

Chuckleberry
08-19-2009, 01:57 PM
hey i just bought at war with the mystics last week. its alright but i hear that isnt even close to their best album. Which album would be for me? i'm looking for a little more guitar useage instead of tons of synth. Yoshimi?

DorkusMalorkus
08-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Not Yoshimi. Go with Clouds Taste Metallic, Transmissions from the Satellite Heart, and The Soft Bulletin.

Or wait until October and get Embryonic. It sounds great.

Chuckleberry
08-19-2009, 05:54 PM
thanks dude i'll look into those

IMABBALLPLAYER
08-19-2009, 11:34 PM
Listening to Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots right now. It's a nice little album. :)

illuminatiano
08-23-2009, 10:51 PM
seeing them with Explosions in the sky in 3 days, cannot wait !

( I will be tripping balls on shrooms aswell )

Jack Off Jill
08-24-2009, 12:59 AM
hey i just bought at war with the mystics last week. its alright but i hear that isnt even close to their best album. Which album would be for me? i'm looking for a little more guitar useage instead of tons of synth. Yoshimi?
In A Priest Driven Ambulance.

taste_the_pain
08-25-2009, 03:51 AM
Any Hit To Death fans here?

Jack Off Jill
08-27-2009, 04:42 PM
Any Hit To Death fans here?
ME! I really like You Have To Be Joking.

Also, I never noticed before... The vocal melody from Fight Test is Father and Son by Cat Stevens.

Hendrix_fan_14
08-28-2009, 07:42 PM
ME! I really like You Have To Be Joking.

Also, I never noticed before... The vocal melody from Fight Test is Father and Son by Cat Stevens.

No wonder my mum said it sounded familiar!

She loved Cat Stevens, can't wait for Embryonic should be amazing.

illuminatiano
08-28-2009, 08:21 PM
they were amazing live

anyone would like to recommend me some music close to theirs ?

and I agree that Embryonic is going to be amazing ! the 3 songs they released as an EP of songs from the new album was excellent, especially Silver Trembling Hands.

Bentheemo
08-28-2009, 09:09 PM
Seeing them and explosions in the sky tomorrow.

illuminatiano
08-28-2009, 10:02 PM
Seeing them and explosions in the sky tomorrow.

prepare to be amazed

Jack Off Jill
08-30-2009, 06:01 PM
No wonder my mum said it sounded familiar!

She loved Cat Stevens, can't wait for Embryonic should be amazing.
Yeah, I was walking around whistling the tune and then when I decided I was going to sing the words, I wound up singing Father and Son. And I was like... Hey, wait a damn second... Must be some kind of hint. Wayne is notorious for having problems with other musicians, so it seems to me, that song must be about how he wants to fight Cat Stevens. But I wonder what for..

Same thing happened with What I Got by Sublime.

Bentheemo
08-30-2009, 07:22 PM
prepare to be amazed
THey were good, but the Lips only got 6 songs in before it was rained out :(

illuminatiano
08-31-2009, 01:22 PM
THey were good, but the Lips only got 6 songs in before it was rained out :(

aw man

when I saw them, it started raining and thundering and wayne said " we don't give a **** if it rains ! ". and then it stopped raining and kept on thundering throughout the entire show it was awesome.

soundgarden19
08-31-2009, 02:23 PM
When I saw them it rained and they made up the **** the rain song.

jimmy_neutron
09-09-2009, 03:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1ajcmMZMNg&feature=related Electric Picnic in Ireland last weekend.

It is now my ambition to see them live.

Fiddelers elbow
09-09-2009, 06:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1ajcmMZMNg&feature=related Electric Picnic in Ireland last weekend.

It is now my ambition to see them live.

It was ****ing gift! Mind you I was having trouble standing up but it was one of the most visually stunning gigs Ive ever seen..

lushacrous
09-17-2009, 12:18 AM
I just want it to be known that all of Embryonic can be listened to at http://www.colbertnation.com/home until next monday. From what I've heard so far, it sounds amazing. I especially like the song with MGMT.

illuminatiano
09-17-2009, 12:25 AM
I just want it to be known that all of Embryonic can be listened to at http://www.colbertnation.com/home until next monday. From what I've heard so far, it sounds amazing. I especially like the song with MGMT.

yup, listening as well

mental_zer0
09-17-2009, 01:22 AM
See The Leaves...

it brings tears to my eyes

:cry:

DorkusMalorkus
09-17-2009, 04:54 AM
Aquarius Sabotage! That song is sick! According to this track list anyway.

1. "Convinced of the Hex" - 3:56
2. "The Sparrow Looks Up At The Machine" - 4:14
3. "Evil" - 5:38
4. "Aquarious Sabotage" - 2:11
5. "See The Leaves" - 4:24
6. "IF" - 2:05
7. "Gemini Syringes" - 3:41
8. "Your Bats" - 2:35
9. "Powerless" – 6:57
10. "The Ego’s Last Stand" – 5:40
11. "I Can Be A Frog" - 2:14
12. "Sagitarrius Silver Announcement" - 2:59
13. "Worm Mountain" - 5:21
14. "Scorpio Sword" - 2:02
15. "The Impulse" - 3:30
16. "Silver Trembling Hands" - 3:58
17. "Virgo Self-Esteem Broadcast" - 3:45
18. "Watching The Planets" - 5:16

soundgarden19
09-17-2009, 11:08 AM
They're going to be on Colbert tonight.

lushacrous
09-17-2009, 11:57 AM
I absolutely love Embryonic and the new direction they're going. I'm gonna be so bummed come Monday when I can't listen to it any more and have to wait until October :(

Monkeygone2hvn
09-17-2009, 04:06 PM
oh my goodness. embryonic is way better than anything i could have imagined them releasing. it makes you wonder what the hell was up with their last album. there's such an amazing vibe to this entire album. upon first listen i think that it's the best that they've done since their 90's heyday.

favorite songs at the moment are either watching the planets, worm mountain, or evil.

tinnitus photo
09-18-2009, 12:39 PM
Here is my review w/ photo gallery of the All Tomorrow's Parties festival that Flaming Lips curated/headlined last weekend:
http://www.prefixmag.com/photos/atp-ny-2009-day-3-picsreview/

http://media.prefixmag.com/site_media/uploads/galleries/atp-day-3-2009/IMG_4701_1.jpg

ohhey9040
09-20-2009, 04:15 AM
Listened to the new album, and it's crazy awesome. It's got a real dark, paranoid vibe to it and it's one I see myself getting more out of every time I listen to it. I don't want to wait til October and I've been quite tempted to find a leak after it's done streaming on Monday, but I won't because I want to support the band. Even taking that out of the equation, I've found that there's no feeling greater going to the record store the day it's released and buying a copy. I don't know what it is, but it just feels so much cooler.

Hendrix_fan_14
09-20-2009, 04:18 AM
Listened to the new album, and it's crazy awesome. It's got a real dark, paranoid vibe to it and it's one I see myself getting more out of every time I listen to it. I don't want to wait til October and I've been quite tempted to find a leak after it's done streaming on Monday, but I won't because I want to support the band. Even taking that out of the equation, I've found that there's no feeling greater going to the record store the day it's released and buying a copy. I don't know what it is, but it just feels so much cooler.

+ infinity.

I think i'll wait till it's released, the new songs they played when I saw them live were great!

illuminatiano
09-27-2009, 05:09 PM
I've been listening to all the new songs for a week now ( since it all streamed, it was obviously leaked into recording ) and it's really really good ! Love the one with MGMT.

SheepDogs
09-27-2009, 05:10 PM
i really liked the whole yoshimi album.

illuminatiano
09-27-2009, 05:48 PM
i really liked the whole yoshimi album.

yoshimi is good aswell...but it's not like their 90's stuff. Embryonic really goes back to their 90's style of music.

estranged_g_n_r
09-28-2009, 04:02 AM
I love Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots.

Really interesting band in my opinion.

Wayne sure must have a pretty massive interest in space and science-fiction.

Mr.Goobles
09-28-2009, 09:05 PM
One of my favorite bands but I recommend going to some of their earlier albums. Everyone on the few pages of this that I've read talk about everything from Soft Bulletin and onward. I would highly recommend Clouds Taste Metallic or Hit to Death in the Future Head. Its a little different from their newer stuff but equally as awesome

tinnitus photo
09-30-2009, 10:22 AM
i like the new record, but they didn't play much off it @ ATP/NY. it was the time i'd seen them since '95 so the big spectacle was a lot of fun, but if you already know what's coming...well, maybe not so much. Wayne needs to mix the setlist up.

review/photo gallery
http://www.prefixmag.com/photos/atp-ny-2009-day-3-picsreview/

http://narlus.zenfolio.com/img/v0/p981717725-4.jpg

more photos
http://narlus.zenfolio.com/p472510389

Yes No
10-15-2009, 04:51 PM
I assume this is an appropriate "bump".

Love this band. A lot. First time I heard them was on Letterman in '07 haha.

My friend just informed me they are playing one of those secret shows on MySpace tonight I think, if your interested.

So how is Embryonic, definitely worth getting?

Monkeygone2hvn
10-15-2009, 08:04 PM
embryonic is the best thing they've released this decade.

thucydides
10-16-2009, 01:12 PM
embryonic is the best thing they've released this decade.

I completely agree, I don't know how they did it but they did.

RockRobster
10-16-2009, 02:03 PM
Maybe I should pick up Embryonic. Didn't even know they had a new album coming out until I heard them on the Colbert Report a few weeks ago. Listened to the some of the samples on itunes. Seems like a complete 180 from "At War with the Mystics" which I wasn't too crazy about.

JackWhite333
10-17-2009, 07:38 PM
From the songs i've heard, Embryonic is AMAZING.

Getting the single disc CD album tommorow, (don't have enough cash for the deluxe version) and I can't wait to listen to it from start to finish...

tpen892004
10-18-2009, 11:55 AM
new album is insanely good

uhh_me?
10-18-2009, 12:15 PM
that is what everyone keeps telling me. i'm sure that i'll get around to picking it up eventually.

mental_zer0
10-18-2009, 02:37 PM
i don't know if this has been mentioned yet so i thought i'd jump in and leave this here...

http://pitchfork.com/news/36828-flaming-lips-to-cover-pink-floyds-idark-side-of-the-mooni/

soundgarden19
10-19-2009, 10:24 AM
I think The Flaming Lips are the only band I'd like to see recreate Dark Side.

jimmy_neutron
10-19-2009, 04:52 PM

I just read a review that gave it two stars.

I haven't really given any of their other stuff a proper listen, so i'm gonna do that before i get my hands on this one.

DonTago
10-19-2009, 06:51 PM
I love it that this thread is being resurrected from more than 3 years ago. The Red House Painters are probably IMO one of the most underrated bands of the 90s. They got absolutely NO LOVE from anyone for years and years despite writing some of the most beautiful at atmospheric songs. It wasnt until 2001 with the Vanilla Sky soundtrack that featured a version of Have You Forgotten that anyone even barely began to take notice. And now finally with Kozelek's Sun Kil Moon project people are finally beginning to realise how great of an artist he is. Except for Mojave 3 and a few other bands, I cant even think of many current bands that capture that same mood and sound that Mark Kozelek is able to create. Anyone got any ideas?

Jack Off Jill
10-20-2009, 09:29 PM
Yeah, but what's the deal with Wayne's vocals? You can barely hear him. Unless maybe there's just something really really wrong with the stereo in my car.. I like the music a lot, though.

uhh_me?
10-21-2009, 09:53 PM
Yeah, but what's the deal with Wayne's vocals? You can barely hear him. Unless maybe there's just something really really wrong with the stereo in my car.. I like the music a lot, though.
i think they are buried in the mix.

really pleasant listen. perhaps a bit overlong and over-ambitious, but that is the Lips for ya.

Hendrix_fan_14
10-22-2009, 01:54 AM
I'm so behind with this, will pick the new one up on the weekend.

The new songs they played live were great so it'll be good.

soundgarden19
11-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Got Embryonic yesterday, only ten bucks, it's really great.

Mister.Y
11-11-2009, 09:13 AM
I saw them monday evening. It was bliss.

Intro
Race For The Prize
Silver Trembling Hands
The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song
Fight Test
Convinced Of The Hex
Evil
I Can Be a Frog
See the Leaves
Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
Pompeii Am Götterdämmerung
The W.A.N.D.
She Don't Use Jelly

Do You Realize??

I Can Be a Frog wasn't actually planned, but someone in the audience shouted it, so Wayne started singing and the band played along, untill Wayne didn't know the lyrics anymore.
I notice the songs on Embryonic are safely within Wayne's vocal range, in contrast to a lot of songs from yoshimi and mystics, though that's a part of his charm obviously that he barely reaches some of the notes. :p:

By the way, any love for Zaireeka in this thread? <3

soundgarden19
11-11-2009, 12:46 PM
I love, I can be a frog, it's a cute song.

IMABBALLPLAYER
11-11-2009, 07:34 PM
So what do you think of the video for Watching the Planets? It was... interesting.

jiminizzle
07-22-2010, 03:11 AM
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/4371/0720002131.jpg
bbbump to show off

crazy8rgood
07-23-2010, 05:49 PM
I might be going to see them in October.

Shit will be so cash. Hoping they play Worm Mountain.

crazy8rgood
11-05-2010, 02:22 PM
I feel the need to bump this thread, and mention how absolutely amazing Embryonic is in every way possible, and probably one of the greatest albums out of the last decade, and one one the greatest albums The Flaming Lips have ever graced our ears with.

You know, just in case anyone forgot.

Also, sorry for the double post, but my last post was almost 4 months ago, so I don't think this counts.

DigUpHerBones
11-05-2010, 05:18 PM
I've been enjoying Transmissions from the Satellite Heart so much recently.

DennisEvans
11-22-2010, 06:24 PM
I just found out about this band last year and it changed everything I ever thought I knew about music...I don't rate their music because compared to other music, quite honestly, it doesn't compare.

Because of The Flaming Lips, I started listening to an exclusive set of bands similar and different in many ways, none are similar to anything on the radio and that's why I love them so much. Hope they are at Bonnaroo again next year because there's no way in hell I'm not going.

steve_muse
04-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Anyone excited about the Record Store Day release of their first 5 albums in the warner bros label?

lushacrous
04-01-2011, 01:26 PM
If I didn't already own them, yes...

EDIT: Wait, are they being released on vinyl!? I may have to get Transmissions then (which is most def their best), for my future vinyl collection that I will have once I get lots of money.

steve_muse
04-04-2011, 07:59 PM
If I didn't already own them, yes...

EDIT: Wait, are they being released on vinyl!? I may have to get Transmissions then (which is most def their best), for my future vinyl collection that I will have once I get lots of money.

Yeah, on vinyl. :p: I have mountains of cash since it was my 18th recently so I'm hoping for this and lots more. Transmissions is indeed lovely.

bradulator
06-23-2011, 05:47 PM
Bumping, because of the originality of the Lips.

TheReverend724
07-29-2011, 03:03 PM
So stoked for the new EP / Split with Lightning Bolt

Tracks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKcFo4r23-E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMejnaORP9Y&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HGPGAGctew&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ8ZpETteR4&feature=related

Joshua1207
07-29-2011, 04:54 PM
They're going to be playing at my local fair in a month. I wonder if I should go

TheReverend724
07-29-2011, 05:01 PM
You should

Joshua1207
07-29-2011, 05:21 PM
Have you seen them live? If so how are they?

uhh_me?
07-29-2011, 05:32 PM
wish that the shows they are doing right now were Lightning Bolt + Lips. two of my favorite live acts.

i covered 4 posts there!

TheReverend724
07-29-2011, 06:12 PM
Have you seen them live? If so how are they?
Ummm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BatjCj88Q1g

Joshua1207
07-29-2011, 07:05 PM
Ummm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BatjCj88Q1g

lol well I'm not a big fan of them but I know that they're p popular so I thought I'd go to the concert. But yeah, looks like they're good live. I think I'll end up going.

TheReverend724
08-01-2011, 02:06 PM
I WANNA GET HIGH BUT I DON'T WANT BRAIN DAMAGE

steve_muse
08-01-2011, 02:41 PM
The Lips are so good. I seen Telepathic Surgery on vinyl the other day but it was quite expensive and I'm stingy.

uhh_me?
08-01-2011, 03:06 PM
hoshit! i just learned that there were only 500 copies of the first EP pressed on green vinyl.

i happen to have one that i got for free a while ago.

TheReverend724
09-22-2011, 12:04 AM
Guess who released a six hour song?

Yep

http://soundcloud.com/slowonerveoaction-3/the-flaming-lips-i-found-a

turncoat60%
09-22-2011, 12:32 AM
let me know when you finish it

TheReverend724
09-22-2011, 01:10 AM
it's great so far, i'm 45 mins in

genghisgandhi
04-28-2012, 01:29 AM
Ayyoo what song is playing in the background? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnjKfDEf394&feature=youtu.be&t=1m57s

Nevermind http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_926389&feature=iv&src_vid=Aacl6KCaCmE&v=jcFKlEfu_eU

Joshua1207
04-29-2012, 01:28 PM
So I finally gave this band a full album listen, The Soft Bulletin, and its pretty much perfect. Now I'm pissed that I didn't end up going to see them at my fair a while back.

institutions
04-29-2012, 01:32 PM
I've really only listened to Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, but I like it.

Also, Do You Realize?? appears to be my state's "official rock song", whatever that means :|

TheReverend724
04-29-2012, 02:22 PM
Listen to The Soft Bulletin man, and watch the Pitchfork documentary on it, it's great

Heady Fwends is really awesome

bradulator
04-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Also, Do You Realize?? appears to be my state's "official rock song", whatever that means :|

:five:

edit: I still think The Soft Bulletin is overrated but i'm going to listen to it again right now and see if my mind has been changed since I last listened to it.

institutions
04-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Every time I listen to Yoshimi, the vocalist reminds me more and more of Jim James of My Morning Jacket. They have similar vocal qualities.
Example 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OMpaFvTOFk), Example 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEgkgCgRFII)
:o

I'll check out The Soft Bulletin soon, rev. Lately i've been in a j-pop only mood.
Doubt i'll watch the Pitchfork documentary tho. I can't stand pretty much anything they do.
Will The Soft Bulletin 5.1 remaster work? It's the only one I can find in good quality.

genghisgandhi
04-30-2012, 06:25 PM
Can someone explain what the right tracklist for the Soft Bulletin is? I couldn't give two shits about the remixes.

uhh_me?
04-30-2012, 06:41 PM
Vinyl release

1. "Race for the Prize"
2. "A Spoonful Weighs a Ton"
3. "The Spark That Bled"
4. "The Spiderbite Song"
5. "Buggin'"
6. "What Is the Light?"
7. "The Observer"
8. "Waitin' for a Superman"
9. "Suddenly Everything Has Changed"
10. "The Gash"
11. "Slow Motion"
12. "Feeling Yourself Disintegrate"
13. "Sleeping on the Roof"

i believe that skips all of the remixes, but i'd say that those are a matter of personal taste whether you want to use 'em or not (to me, the original "Buggin'" is too busy). and you could just skip "Slow Motion", some people seem to hate it being there. it is a huge mess, isn't it?

am getting much more bother by this now than i've ever been before. some places seem to say that the 5.1 version is definitive, but it seems weird to listen to it in that order.

steve_muse
05-01-2012, 08:08 AM
The Pitchfork documentary is actually pretty cool.

I bought Embryonic the other day. I'd say it's one of their best.

institutions
05-01-2012, 09:38 AM
Vinyl release

1. "Race for the Prize"
2. "A Spoonful Weighs a Ton"
3. "The Spark That Bled"
4. "The Spiderbite Song"
5. "Buggin'"
6. "What Is the Light?"
7. "The Observer"
8. "Waitin' for a Superman"
9. "Suddenly Everything Has Changed"
10. "The Gash"
11. "Slow Motion"
12. "Feeling Yourself Disintegrate"
13. "Sleeping on the Roof"

i believe that skips all of the remixes, but i'd say that those are a matter of personal taste whether you want to use 'em or not (to me, the original "Buggin'" is too busy). and you could just skip "Slow Motion", some people seem to hate it being there. it is a huge mess, isn't it?

am getting much more bother by this now than i've ever been before. some places seem to say that the 5.1 version is definitive, but it seems weird to listen to it in that order.

i'll just listen to the 5.1 version, but rearrange the tracks in this order.

Thrashtastic15
05-02-2012, 11:13 PM
Somebody told me to pick up a split they did with somebody else (fairly recently IIRC) when I mentioned I enjoy the soft bulletin. Can't for the life of me remember what it was called though..figure this is the place to ask to fill in the blanks. :p:

due 07
05-02-2012, 11:16 PM
What do you all like about The Soft Bulletin? I can't get into it, it sounds way too dad-rocky I guess for lack of a better term. Maybe I could listen to it again w/ a different preconceived framework or something. Are their earlier albums worth investigating then?

█▐▌█▐▌
05-02-2012, 11:29 PM
I never liked the Flaming Lips cuz they're too dynamic and the vocals are really lame. Except I sorta like "She Don't Use Jelly." If all of their songs were dumb and simple like that I'd like them better.

institutions
05-03-2012, 12:39 PM
fantano gave heady fwends a strong "i wish time machines existed so that i could go back in time and force myself to buy this on vinyl like i should have on record store day"

genius.

crazy8rgood
05-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Someone give me 2,500 for the bloodvinyl.

What do you all like about The Soft Bulletin? I can't get into it, it sounds way too dad-rocky I guess for lack of a better term. Maybe I could listen to it again w/ a different preconceived framework or something. Are their earlier albums worth investigating then?

I really like the instrumentation on TSB, especially on "Race for the Prize", it's crazy. Their earlier albums are definitely worth investigating, too. In a Priest Drivin Ambulance, Hit to Death in the Future Head, Transmissions From the Satellite Heart and Clouds Taste Metallic are all fantastic albums. I've never been able to get too into Hear it Is or Oh My Gawd!, though.

Zaireeka is also really, really good. I've never listened to it with 4 stereos, but the single stereo mix you can get is pretty awesome.

I also forget that Telepathic Surgery exists a lot, so I haven't checked it out yet, don't really have a comment on it.

TheReverend724
05-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Every time I listen to Yoshimi, the vocalist reminds me more and more of Jim James of My Morning Jacket. They have similar vocal qualities.
Example 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OMpaFvTOFk), Example 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEgkgCgRFII)
:o

I'll check out The Soft Bulletin soon, rev. Lately i've been in a j-pop only mood.
Doubt i'll watch the Pitchfork documentary tho. I can't stand pretty much anything they do.
Will The Soft Bulletin 5.1 remaster work? It's the only one I can find in good quality.
Pitchfork really has nothing to do with the documentary stylistically, it's really just a bunch of Lips interviews and stuff into a movie, Pitchfork just produced it

and Jim Jones is on this track off of their newest release

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0hQaDXn8SI
Somebody told me to pick up a split they did with somebody else (fairly recently IIRC) when I mentioned I enjoy the soft bulletin. Can't for the life of me remember what it was called though..figure this is the place to ask to fill in the blanks. :p:
The Flaming Lips With Heady Fwends is a collaboration between the Lips and a bunch of other featured artists, which include Ke$ha, Bon Iver, Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band, and Nick Cave)
It's like dad rock if your dad was really cool

Clouds Taste Metallic is their only pre-Soft Bulletin album I really care for, even though some of their earlier albums have some great tunes

I'm generally a New Lips > Old Lips kind of guy
Someone give me 2,500 for the bloodvinyl.
Me too :(
I really like the instrumentation on TSB, especially on "Race for the Prize", it's crazy. Their earlier albums are definitely worth investigating, too. In a Priest Drivin Ambulance, Hit to Death in the Future Head, Transmissions From the Satellite Heart and Clouds Taste Metallic are all fantastic albums. I've never been able to get too into Hear it Is or Oh My Gawd!, though.

Zaireeka is also really, really good. I've never listened to it with 4 stereos, but the single stereo mix you can get is pretty awesome.

I also forget that Telepathic Surgery exists a lot, so I haven't checked it out yet, don't really have a comment on it.
How did I forgot Zaireeka? I managed to score all four disks off of a friend of mine. One of CD box sets

TheReverend724
05-04-2012, 07:11 PM
God bless Wayne Coyne

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPcF_j8CKjk

crazy8rgood
05-04-2012, 10:37 PM
God bless :daisy:

spitonastranger
05-04-2012, 11:08 PM
I love how he actually pronounces it 'heady fwends'

steve_muse
05-05-2012, 09:21 AM
I reckon I'd be too freaked out to own that.

crazy8rgood
05-06-2012, 10:56 PM
Embryonic
Clouds Taste Metallic
Heady Fwends
In a Priest Driven Ambulance
Christmas On Mars OST
At War With the Mystics
Hit to Death in the Future Head
Zaireeka
Transmissions from the Satellite Heart
The Soft Bulletin
Hear it Is/Oh My Gawd!!!/Telepathic Surgery

I made this list today you guys can have it.

uhh_me?
05-06-2012, 11:19 PM
is that your rankings? putting The Soft Bulletin that low makes you a huge goon. one on par with someone that says things like
I never liked the Flaming Lips cuz they're too dynamic

i am fine with Embryonic being on top. i get that.

genghisgandhi
05-06-2012, 11:26 PM
Embryonic
Clouds Taste Metallic
Heady Fwends
In a Priest Driven Ambulance
Christmas On Mars OST
At War With the Mystics
Hit to Death in the Future Head
Zaireeka
Transmissions from the Satellite Heart
The Soft Bulletin
Hear it Is/Oh My Gawd!!!/Telepathic Surgery

I made this list today you guys can have it.
2/10 lost some points by not putting DSotM somewhere in the middle.

turncoat60%
05-06-2012, 11:26 PM
is that your rankings? putting The Soft Bulletin that low makes you a huge goon. one on par with someone that says things like
lol

crazy8rgood
05-06-2012, 11:29 PM

i am fine with Embryonic being on top. i get that.
I adore The Soft Bulletin, don't get me wrong. The only albums of theirs I don't adore are the first three, hence the ranking.

Those three. I just can't.

2/10 lost some points by not putting DSotM somewhere in the middle.

I decided not to include that since it's not technically a Flaming Lips album. I quite liked it though.

steve_muse
05-08-2012, 09:39 AM
I actually quite like Oh My Gawd!!!!

WhiteStripesIII
05-22-2013, 08:53 PM
The Terror. Thoughts? I absolutely love it.

IntCos
03-09-2014, 07:09 AM
Regarding the albums mentioned at the start of thread... For me:

The Soft Bulletin -9/10
Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots- 8/10
At War With The Mystics- 7/10

Zaireeka- I don't know! I never had the facility to play all 4 Zaireeka records simutaneously

Personally I'm a big fan ot their recent work; Embryonic and The Terror are two fascinating albums (if not classics) - where the Lips wilfully break away from pop, and back intp the exmperimental and very creative groove they had around the time of Zaireeka...