BB King songs sound the same?

PDA

View Full Version : BB King songs sound the same?

stevevaiguy
02-27-2006, 10:16 AM
Doesnt every else in here agree that BB king songs all sound the same or begin the same

drunken_master
02-27-2006, 12:59 PM
"needs some imagination"

obviously bb king could do with takin a leaf out of steve vais book

jayr123guitar
02-27-2006, 01:46 PM
you need some education in the blues

stevevaiguy
02-28-2006, 09:48 AM
Yeah hes good, and hes awesome, but u can tell when its a bb king song the first 2 seconds of the song because he starts out with some pentatonic bend thing

tom_ledzep
02-28-2006, 10:14 AM
blues is not about being really creative. stevevaiguy and drunken_master you sure do need some education in blues. not everyone is like steve vai.

drunken_master
02-28-2006, 11:09 AM
^ I wasn't agreeing with him, I love BB Kings music...he's one of my favourite guitarists. I can't stand Steve Vai becuase he produces unemotional, boring and repetitive "music". I was being sarcastic, but I can see how my post seemed to be agreeing with him about BB being boring.

Johnsonville
02-28-2006, 12:08 PM
Doesnt every else in here agree that BB king songs all sound the same or begin the same.....but hes still O.K. i guess, just needs some imagination
no

Johnsonville
02-28-2006, 12:12 PM
Doesnt every else in here agree that BB king songs all sound the same or begin the same.....but hes still O.K. i guess, just needs some imagination

nine

hippy12
02-28-2006, 02:01 PM
you need some education in the blues

i agree, you seriously need to consider why you call yourself a blues fan.

Allyhibs
02-28-2006, 02:10 PM
he he B.B King needs imagination... thats a classic. Steve Vai's guitar playing does nothing for me, I far prefer a nice blues solo. :)

Steve Cropper
02-28-2006, 02:46 PM
I think you need a bit of imagination.

slinks
02-28-2006, 05:06 PM
He may not shred like Vai, but he sure as hell is a lot more musical and enjoyable to listen to (at least to me). B.B. King is a blues legend and to say he has no imagination is an unbelievable insult. How dare you, sir? :mad:

Oh, by the way, I'm seeing B.B. live March 16. ;)

enfilade
03-01-2006, 07:02 AM
he's very distinctive (a good thing), but not repetative

sirpsycho85
03-01-2006, 07:34 AM
it's the nature of blues that the changes are going to be the same, but BB king is one of the greatest blues vocalists, which is why i can listen to more of his songs in a row than most any other blues artist.

stevevaiguy
03-01-2006, 10:13 AM
OK OK OK i just ask people what they think

Sure Steve Vai may shred but he still shreds melodically.

BB King has done lots of things and i was just saying that when his song starts it sounds the same, I didnt say anything abt Steve Vai ...thats just my name on here, so u have problems if u just started insulting Steve Vai because this is abt BB King, not him.

BB King is definetly one of the top most influential guitarest though in my book

Needs Imagination was the wrong thing to say

RhoadsSRV8290
03-01-2006, 03:12 PM
BB did kinda start, if not start influence TREMENDOUSLY, the whole bending and fast vibrato thing so wouldn't it be expected for it to be everywhere in his songs.

BB is not boring and yes you need some education in blues. Yes blues is generally repetitious but its so much more that a I-IV-V pattern.

Edit: Sorry if this sounds harsh; this isn't directly solely at you because many people feel the blues is the same thing over and over. :cheers:

stevevaiguy
03-02-2006, 08:51 AM
yall suck all of u

stevevaiguy
03-03-2006, 10:35 AM
As an alternative for BB King, listen to Jimi Hendrix, never ges boring, but not as classic i guess

StratRat13
03-03-2006, 12:15 PM
yall suck all of u

We dont need any pre-prubestant 12 year old kids coming in here and being immature. So please for the sake of the Blues and Jazz forum, just leave. :)

psychodelia
03-03-2006, 02:18 PM
We dont need any pre-prubestant 12 year old kids coming in here and being immature. So please for the sake of the Blues and Jazz forum, just leave. :)

While I'm not a regular on this forum, you're quite right, his responses are completely unnecessary and immature.

Steve Cropper
03-03-2006, 03:05 PM
We all see the light at the beginning of the tunnel in time, give him a break.

Gabuydachk
03-03-2006, 06:19 PM
the only reason he sounds uncreative is because he uses the same progression (he is a blues musician) for most of his songs
he's actually pretty creative to be able to play over the same progression w/o making it boring, imo

Capitol Murder
03-05-2006, 07:11 PM
man you should have never said anything like that about BB KING. Look at the last name. He is not the KING of blues for nothing. And like we all say King vs. Vai ; man come on thats like the houston texans againts the pitt steelers. 2 different styles. Both on top of thier game and ranks in music but clearly a fact... King has sold more albums dvds sold out more shows ect... Sounds the same well if you knew anything about blues and the man himself he has a zone of comfort and he plays within that and that is called the BB box. Sig notes on the fret board *** BB scale** Next time look at the artist in dept before you pop off. Entitled to your opinion but I fell you need to study the history of music and you will find that it all... Rock pop country soul and gospel all come from some form of blues.

Steve Cropper
03-06-2006, 02:19 PM
Like I said you will find true enlightenment in time my young friend.

PooKoo
03-06-2006, 02:20 PM
man you should have never said anything like that about BB KING. Look at the last name. He is not the KING of blues for nothing. And like we all say King vs. Vai ; man come on thats like the houston texans againts the pitt steelers. 2 different styles. Both on top of thier game and ranks in music but clearly a fact... King has sold more albums dvds sold out more shows ect... Sounds the same well if you knew anything about blues and the man himself he has a zone of comfort and he plays within that and that is called the BB box. Sig notes on the fret board *** BB scale** Next time look at the artist in dept before you pop off. Entitled to your opinion but I fell you need to study the history of music and you will find that it all... Rock pop country soul and gospel all come from some form of blues.

says the man with the shreddin till i die title. Just chill, noone needs to be this harsh over something so dumb.

sirpsycho85
03-06-2006, 11:06 PM
the thing to admire about the good bluesmen is what they are able to do in such a simple context. you have three chords to work with and not a lot of scales that work. the art comes from forcing yourself to try new things with your limited resources. in the same way that writing a poem in a strict form such as sonnet will force you to think of anything you can to make it work, a strict musical form also counterintuitively welcomes a lot of improvisation.

chickenfire315
03-06-2006, 11:16 PM
i love bb king to death too but i agree with stevevaiguy just a little. bb's songs might sound the same, but it works, they sound great and theres some different ones to not be totally boring to someone who doesnt listen to blues a ton (me).

Capitol Murder
03-07-2006, 07:40 AM
didnt mean to come arcoss so harsh, just a B B king die heart and I wanted to shed a lil education on the kid as to why the intros and song have the same sound. Hell I love listening to Kurt Cobain as well and many of his songs sound the dame but that is just the style of that artist and its a form with in itself that is built by that person.

psychodelia
03-07-2006, 03:10 PM
the thing to admire about the good bluesmen is what they are able to do in such a simple context. you have three chords to work with and not a lot of scales that work. the art comes from forcing yourself to try new things with your limited resources. in the same way that writing a poem in a strict form such as sonnet will force you to think of anything you can to make it work, a strict musical form also counterintuitively welcomes a lot of improvisation.

Blues is as simple as you want it to be, but it can be made more complicated with a lot of chord substitution, I'm not an expert on chord substitution, but some jazz guys really go crazy with blues progressions and pull out some weird stuff.

But you are right in other ways too, a good way to test a person's creativity is to see what they can come up with in a very controlled situation, I mean put anyone in a room with a hundred effects and any weirdo can make unusual sounds.

Steph Bets
03-07-2006, 05:05 PM
i love blues but i think bb king is boring. im sorry for those of you who love him, but his musix doesnt excite me.
its a matter of preference.

Sgt. Pepper19
03-07-2006, 09:07 PM
Im sure every song sounds the same when you have your head up your ass.

MusicIsMyLife-
03-11-2006, 01:55 PM
B.B. King is big guitarist...
To claim that he sounds the same on his songs is a stupid statement...

stevevaiguy
03-11-2006, 11:37 PM
yeah the guy earlier was right abt agreeing with what i said, he is very distinct with his music, but unlike eric johnson, hendrix, and clapton, he doesnt pull off stuff that is unique because they always improvise and when they do they make sure that they do something different and that has a unique style to it even though it is all bluesy stuff.

and im not 12 years old and i dont have my head up my ass ....you're too agressive

VulgaritySocks
03-12-2006, 01:49 AM
I was about to post some scathing sarcastic remark... hell I just signed up to yell at this guy. But then I put one of my B.B. King cd's on, and listened to it, and I'll be goddamed if he's not right. Not ALL of the songs start the excact same, but man... there are a few, like five on "The Ultimate Collection", that start very similarly. I can see how someone who doesn't listen to the whole song will get that impression to be honest. But still, I love B.B. Does it really matter if the song starts somewhat similarly but changes after to something that consistantly is fantastic? Most great bluesmen work like that, look at Robert Johnson. But oui,I do love B.B. King, but a few of his songs do actually start with that one riff. Touché vaiguy.

stevevaiguy
03-12-2006, 10:19 PM
ah geez i should have never made this forum, but is makes for damn good discussion so keep going

TNfootballfan62
03-14-2006, 11:31 PM
Okay, to say that BB King doesnt improvise is just plain stupid. I want to be nice, but that was ridiculous. Maybe i just assume you implyed that when comparing him to Clapton, Johnson, and Hendrix.........who knows. Anyway, i think you judge way to much by the first few notes. Yes, some songs are similar, but you just need to get into his songs, and the blues in general a little more. Every song and every note BB plays portrays an emotion. If you can't understand or feel the emotions he's trying to get across, you will probably find his music boring, but i happen to find BB King a very exciting, creative player.

slinks
03-15-2006, 05:13 PM
^ As do I, very well said.

Seeing B.B. live tomorrow! :D

cap'nkirk
03-15-2006, 07:17 PM
Doesnt every else in here agree that BB king songs all sound the same or begin the same
If you mean that all his stuff sounds great... then yes...
Every blues man has got his own signature sound. You can tell a B.B. King song from the first note, same goes for Albert King, Buddy Guy, Muddy, Robert Johnson, Blind Lemon, Pink Anderson, Howlin', well, you get my point. The same could be said for the new school electric bluesmen ie. SRV, Derek Trucks, even Clapton...
EDIT: Something else... when you've been playing blues music for 65ish years. You're bound to use some of the same licks and riffs every now and again, but when your B.B. King it's all going to sound good. He's got more soul in his pinky than the rest of the music industry these days.

cap'nkirk
03-15-2006, 07:31 PM
I done gone pissed every one off

PISSED

Sorry, i guess i just like dream theater and think that they are the best band inn the entire world and john petrucci is god himself

Dream Theater are good, Petrucci is good, but not God. haha, You've gotta listen to stuff in context though. Prog-metal or whatever is completely different from the blues. if you want blistering solos, listen to Dream Theater, if you want soul and an insight to a lifestyle, listen to the blues.

one more thing, guys like Vai, Satriani, Petrucci and guitarists of the type really can't pull of the blues. I've heard their live 'blues jams' and it's just disgraceful. They're great players, but they don't have what it takes to be a bluesman...

stevevaiguy
03-16-2006, 10:23 AM
i didnt say BB King sucked total balls and i hate him and everyone else should hate him too, i just said his songs sometimes start the same

TNfootballfan62
03-16-2006, 07:19 PM
^^^It sort of came off as an insult, though, and this is the wrong forum to insult him. ;)

stevevaiguy
03-17-2006, 10:47 AM
oh, how was.....ummmm...................ok.

Four-Sticks
03-17-2006, 03:46 PM
and this is the wrong forum to insult him.

I'd say this is the best place to insult a blues or jazz man.
A lot more feathers will russle this way.
And maybe even a decent discussion might come from it, who knows?

Slurgi
03-17-2006, 08:31 PM
Actually Four-Sticks isn't too out there, it's not really all bad, as some good discussion HAS come from this thread.

Only thing that won't really get much accomplished would be blind flaming such as "ALL JAZZ PLAYERS SUCK, THEY CANT PLAY 112312 NOTES PER MINUTE LIKE VAI!" or something.

Anyway,
:cheers:

zep123
03-17-2006, 11:01 PM
To the original message: pesonally, of the bb king songs i've heard, they don't exactly sound the same. If you're talking about his songs consisting of a 12-bar blues format, sure. Other than that, I haven't come across two songs that sound alike.

hippy12
03-19-2006, 02:30 PM
Sorry, i guess i just like dream theater and think that they are the best band inn the entire world and john petrucci is god himself

how irrelevant.

stevevaiguy
03-19-2006, 02:42 PM
listen to "aint no body like my baby" "too good to you baby"

they r the exact same intro but one is higher

Kartman
03-20-2006, 02:13 AM
^ I wasn't agreeing with him, I love BB Kings music...he's one of my favourite guitarists. I can't stand Steve Vai becuase he produces unemotional, boring and repetitive "music". I was being sarcastic, but I can see how my post seemed to be agreeing with him about BB being boring.
Come on, man. I love both guys, in different ways. BB King is awsome because he is a legend and an amazing blues player that has been around forever, but I also like Steve Vai becuase of his vast musical knowledge and intelligence in theory, and his amazing shredding. You gotta have an open mind, man!

drunken_master
03-20-2006, 08:18 AM
Come on, man. I love both guys, in different ways. BB King is awsome because he is a legend and an amazing blues player that has been around forever, but I also like Steve Vai becuase of his vast musical knowledge and intelligence in theory, and his amazing shredding. You gotta have an open mind, man!

Yeah i agree, Vai is an amazingly talented guitar player, a true expert. But....his music does nothin for me. I can't listen to it for more than about 15mins. I appreciate it but don't like it :)

stevevaiguy
03-21-2006, 10:42 AM
listen to "aint no body like my baby" "too good to you baby"

they r the exact same intro but one is higher

they prove that some bb kings songs start the same.

TNfootballfan62
03-21-2006, 01:54 PM
^^^We all saw that post the first time. ;)

stevevaiguy
03-22-2006, 10:45 AM
yeah but notice how no one said anything

and dont diss vai, we r talking abt BB king

Steve Cropper
03-22-2006, 09:04 PM
A good speaker is not valued for the rate at which he can speak, but for the potency of the statement he makes. Unless he is an auctioneer.

Steph Bets
03-22-2006, 09:10 PM
Good point! If the rest of UG could realise that^^ it'd be a much nicer place to discuss music.

stevevaiguy
03-23-2006, 10:41 AM
how irrelevant.

How gay

talk abt being irrelevant, people keep dissing Vai and that has nothing to do with what we r talking abt, so , just leave.

RhoadsSRV8290
03-23-2006, 01:23 PM
B.B. King himself said "Blues is like southern cooking. You don't have all the ingredients so you've got to be a really good chef."

I think B.B. is a pretty damn good chef.

TNfootballfan62
03-23-2006, 02:41 PM
^^^Concur'd! :cheers:

Mikeoman
03-26-2006, 03:25 PM
B.B. is one of the great live performers of the last 50 years. I saw him live 5 months ago, and he was amazing. I mean, he was sitting down in his little chair, but it was still the best concert I've ever seen!

hendrix513
03-26-2006, 03:43 PM
Guys, stevevaiguy isnt saying BB King sucks, he's just saying all his songs start the same. Now that is obviously not true, not all his songs sound the same in the intro, but some do sound alike. Also, Steve Vai was not brought into this by stevevaiguy, you guys started dissing him and using him as an example. Don't get me wrong, I love the blues and listen to it a lot, and have probly listened to one Vai song in my life...but just cut the guy some slack.

ALSO, it's kinda funny how when stevevaiguy makes a valid point to prove his argument, and all of you dismissed it.

radiantmoon
04-03-2006, 06:49 AM
Yeah hes good, and hes awesome, but u can tell when its a bb king song the first 2 seconds of the song because he starts out with some pentatonic bend thing

you can tell its him coz of his amazing tone and stinging vibrato. He can say in 2 notes what steve vai says in a hundred notes

Erc
04-03-2006, 07:32 AM
you can tell its him coz of his amazing tone and stinging vibrato. He can say in 2 notes what steve vai says in a hundred notes

Oh yea, sure :rolleyes:

Some of these posts in this thread = amazingly retarded.

Anyways, BB King always sounding the same? Meh, a little. Hes recognizable. Boring at times though. He doesn't exactly have a large bag of different licks.

stevevaiguy
04-03-2006, 10:09 AM
when i say something true everyone just ignores it

radiantmoon
04-03-2006, 09:32 PM
when i say something true everyone just ignores it

are you being sarcastic and referring to my post as being retarted?

stevevaiguy
04-04-2006, 09:44 AM
no

INDUSTRIALMETAL
04-04-2006, 10:57 AM
BAH!

Nothing can be said at this point that will further the thread. Stevevaiguy has made his points, whicih at times have been very Valid. Many others have also made valid points. But the Validity of these points seem to be lessened by childish pandering. He made his point, several others have made their points, and no further discussion is going to add to these points.

stevevaiguy
04-07-2006, 10:36 AM
Yeah you have a point in that no one in here will except valid points

radiantmoon
05-07-2006, 12:24 AM
Oh yea, sure :rolleyes:

Some of these posts in this thread = amazingly retarded.

Anyways, BB King always sounding the same? Meh, a little. Hes recognizable. Boring at times though. He doesn't exactly have a large bag of different licks.

I knew someone would pull the oh yeah roll your eyes card.Maybe guitar playing to you is how many notes you can play in x amount of time :rolleyes: bb uses only a few notes but his phrasing and vibrato are **** hot.

Steve Cropper
05-07-2006, 04:30 PM
BB can get stale is what the whole thread is about. Anyone can get stale, but people still eat him because thats how darn tasty he is.

Stinging_Acid
05-13-2006, 07:14 AM
Blues isn't about skill, creativity, or even guitar, when you get right down to it. The Blues is about expressing your feelings. It is meant to be a genre where only the creator of the music should hear, and should be a release of the soul. So, if you find a blues player's songs unimaginative, It's not the artists falt, it's just they feel comfortable playing the way they do.

jp141
05-14-2006, 10:16 AM
^^Definitely, and the guitar is only half of the story with BB (and the blues in general), his voice conveys so much emotion.

Stinging_Acid
05-19-2006, 06:32 PM
And besides, when you go into your room alone, and play the blues on your guitar, it probably sounds very similiar to the last time you played, but to you, it's like a whole new expression

Erc
05-20-2006, 02:58 PM
Maybe guitar playing to you is how many notes you can play in x amount of time

You are stupid.

First off, you draw this conclusion out of the air. It is retarded, and I can not think of anybody I know that has ever said "that song isn't cool because its fast enough." 2nd "good" phrasing is relative. What does that mean you ask?

It means that bb king says "nothing" to me in his music and steve vai says "something."

So not only is a statement like "He can say in 2 notes what steve vai says in a hundred notes" blatanly wrong and assuming fact. It also implies a very close-minded elitist mentality of the referrer. Stating such a phrase indicates that you think that a phrase by BB King should universaly be accepted as "better" then one composed and played by Steve Vai.

On a side note, King and Vai arn't even saying remotely the same things, they are compeletly unrelated. They are both musicians and both play the same insturment, thats is about as similair as they get. Comparing them is stupid.

Moeson
05-21-2006, 02:38 PM
Not sure what the other pages said, but in blues it's not so much what notes you hit but rather how you hit the notes, which is what makes blues such a deep, entrenching genre.

stevevaiguy
06-10-2006, 11:52 PM
So basically what u are saying is that he isnt talented, he's just expressive....well ur wrong....and btw, dont diss shred , bb king said in an interview himself that he liked shred, but he was just getting to old to do it.

Resident Rocker
06-11-2006, 12:03 AM
blues just isn't for everyone man. BB king rocks forever.

jp141
06-11-2006, 04:55 AM
I can't believe this is still going.... you asked for what people thought about your view of BB King and EVERYONE said they disagreed with you and gave perfectly valid points. Your reply each time has been "you're wrong." How mature. You've made your point perfectly clear; you don't like one of the most influential musicians of the 20th century and think all his songs sound the same.

Don't think that BBs music is easy and he cannot play guitar just because he doesn't play a million notes a second - it is deceptively simple. I very much doubt you could even come close to playing like BB. Yes his licks have a similar feel to them - that is because amazing players like BB develop a style . His phrasing, his vibrato, his tone, and his voice are all unique to BB.

Go listen to "Live at the Regal"

stevevaiguy
06-15-2006, 07:46 PM
yeah but no one even pays attention to my posts, maybe if u would read my posts u would understand where im coming from

TNfootballfan62
06-15-2006, 07:53 PM
^^^Being the starter of this whole thing (you were the threadstarter werent you?), im sure everyone has paid attention to your posts.

CheckOutSerafin
06-19-2006, 08:06 AM
Yeah BB's music is all the same.

But so is sex, and we still like it.

ss311
06-20-2006, 07:49 AM
When I look at B.B King's face when he plays guitar I feel like crying, the man is so full of emotion and it really shines out.

TUMFP
06-20-2006, 06:37 PM
^amen...thats wat its about, his soul shines through when he plays

IrishBlues
06-20-2006, 08:42 PM
"People wanna know why I sing the blues .... "

http://www.projectphotography.com/museum-show/media-images/images/bb-king.jpg

http://www.nga.ch/img/Blue%20Img/B.B.King_1.jpg

Sorry If that is to big Ill delete it.

TNfootballfan62
06-20-2006, 11:22 PM
^^^Nice pictures. :cheers:

Just_a_picker
06-21-2006, 08:59 PM
Well sure, alot of B.B. Kings songs sound similar, but it is part of his style. He has crafted his style throughout his years years of playing and has made his living from it(and those commercials for the blood sugar testing thingys). Saying that his songs sound the same is just pointing out his style.

Now, just to be a jerk and put my foot in my mouth: Saying that two of his songs sound exactly the same but one is higher?

What???? It's the exact same, but different? Then they are different. They seem similiar, but they are not identical.
[/being a jerk]

ss311
06-23-2006, 07:55 AM
What's so sad is that he'll probably pass away before I get to see him... It's depressing.

stevevaiguy
07-12-2006, 10:19 PM
READ THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( and at least consider it ) :)

btw, this isnt abt rather i like blues or not, i enjoy blues just fine ( i like jazz just a tad more) but its more abt how i said that the beginnings of bb's songs sound a little similar, so dont say "blues is abt expression man" because any average musicians already knows that all music is abt expression. I just dont like how his expression is at the first bar (measure) of w/e song u listen to by him, but other than that, BB King is an amazing and influential guitarist that will live through his music for generations to come

paul87
07-13-2006, 01:03 AM
let's face it, if you know anything, blues is all really the same.

Duane_Allman
07-13-2006, 01:25 AM
Let's face it, you're a gimp.

guitarhero?
07-13-2006, 02:28 AM
a lot of BB's music is similiar but thats how the blues often is and I love it for that and BB King is one of the best

TNfootballfan62
07-13-2006, 12:44 PM

You, sir, are an idiot. Either that, or you haven't heard enough blues for your own good.

paul87
07-14-2006, 01:28 AM
You, sir, are an idiot. Either that, or you haven't heard enough blues for your own good.
Sorry assh*le, have you ever heard of a I IV V chord progression? You must know nothing about music theory.

Duane_Allman
07-14-2006, 01:38 AM
Sorry assh*le, have you ever heard of a I IV V chord progression? You must know nothing about music theory.
Blues ain't about no theroy son, it's all about emotion.

TNfootballfan62
07-14-2006, 01:43 AM

Yes, i've heard of a I IV V progression, and i fully understand what it is. Go listen to Charley Patton then listen to Stevie Ray Vaughan and come back and tell me that all blues is the same.

paul87
07-14-2006, 01:43 AM
Blues ain't about no theroy son, it's all about emotion.
That's what everyone says. All music has emotion, so that's a lame answer. You'd be surprised to learn that the blues has a lot of theory to it. By the way, don't think I dislike the blues, b/c I don't.

Duane_Allman
07-14-2006, 01:46 AM
That's what everyone says. All music has emotion, so that's a lame answer. You'd be surprised to learn that the blues has a lot of theory to it. By the way, don't think I dislike the blues, b/c I don't.
I know it has to do with theroy, but you could have studied theroy for 30 years play a blues song, but have no feeling. Feeling is what people listen to blues for, not technicallity.

paul87
07-14-2006, 01:46 AM
Yes, i've heard of a I IV V progression, and i fully understand what it is. Go listen to Charley Patton then listen to Stevie Ray Vaughan and come back and tell me that all blues is the same.
I don't know any Charlie Patton, but Stevie Ray's songs pretty much all have underlying I IV V chord progressions.
The blues is great, but it can get boring real fast in my opinion.

Duane_Allman
07-14-2006, 01:48 AM
I don't know any Charlie Patton, but Stevie Ray's songs pretty much all have underlying I IV V chord progressions.
Then why are you in a blues fourm?

paul87
07-14-2006, 01:49 AM
I know it has to do with theroy, but you could have studied theroy for 30 years, play a blues song, but have no feeling, and feeling is what people listen to blues for, not thechnicallity.
I know what you're saying, but you really can't tell who's playing with emotion and who isn't, b/c it's all about how the player is feeling, and you may not be able to relate to his/her playing b/c you aren't the player.

TNfootballfan62
07-14-2006, 01:49 AM

Many of SRV's songs do have the I IV V, yes, but not all. Look at his songs such as "Life by the drop." It's not a pure I IV V. And the fact that you dont know Charley Patton means you aren't educated in the blues enough to make a statement such as "blues is all really the same." Vast generalizations are made even worse when you dont fully understand what you're talking about.

:peace:

Duane_Allman
07-14-2006, 01:50 AM
I know what you're saying, but you really can't tell who's playing with emotion and who isn't, b/c it's all about how the player is feeling, and you may not be able to relate to his/her playing b/c you aren't the player.

Are you kidding? Of course you can tell whos playing with emotion, and if they are a good player you will be able to relate.

paul87
07-14-2006, 01:51 AM
Then why are you in a blues fourm?
It's alright b/c I'm spicing up this thread, and I never said I don't like the blues.

Duane_Allman
07-14-2006, 01:52 AM
^^^Many of SRV's songs do have the I IV V, yes, but not all. Look at his songs such as "Life by the drop." It's not a pure I IV V. And the fact that you dont know Charley Patton means you aren't educated in the blues enough to make a statement such as "blues is all really the same." Vast generalizations are made even worse when you dont fully understand what you're talking about.

I think this pretty much sums everything up. :golfclap:

paul87
07-14-2006, 01:54 AM
^^^Many of SRV's songs do have the I IV V, yes, but not all. Look at his songs such as "Life by the drop." It's not a pure I IV V. And the fact that you dont know Charley Patton means you aren't educated in the blues enough to make a statement such as "blues is all really the same." Vast generalizations are made even worse when you dont fully understand what you're talking about.

Do I have to hear every blues musician to be educated in the blues? Maybe you don't understand...

Duane_Allman
07-14-2006, 01:55 AM
Do I have to hear every blues musician to be educated in the blues? Maybe you don't understand...

Well no, but Charley Patton is a pretty well known blues player. So you should know who he is if you know blues.

paul87
07-14-2006, 01:55 AM
Are you kidding? Of course you can tell whos playing with emotion, and if they are a good player you will be able to relate.
I don't know about that, it's hard to see sometimes how someone is feeling inside.

TNfootballfan62
07-14-2006, 01:56 AM
^^^No, it would be impossible for you to hear every single blues musician, obviously, but to say that all blues is the same is to infer that you've heard all blues. So since you havent heard all blues, dont make assumptions about all of it.

EDIT: Damn you guys are fast, this was to the post where he quoted me. :p:

Duane_Allman
07-14-2006, 01:57 AM
I don't know about that, it's hard to see sometimes how someone is feeling inside.

Listen to BB King, Stevie Ray Vaughan, John Lee Hooker, and Muddy Waters, your opinion will change drastically.

paul87
07-14-2006, 02:01 AM
What I am trying to say is that the blues playing(chord progressions,scales) is mostly the same, with some exceptions like chords (ex. 9th chords, diminished, dim7) ans some use of other scales like mixolydian b/c of its b7. Don't think that I'm saying every blues player and song are the same. I'm making a generalization b/c I've heard quite a bit of blues myself.

Duane_Allman
07-14-2006, 02:02 AM
What I am trying to say is that the blues playing(chord progressions,scales) is mostly the same, with some exceptions like chords (ex. 9th chords, diminished, dim7) ans some use of other scales like mixolydian b/c of its b7. Don't think that I'm saying every blues player and song are the same. I'm making a generalization b/c I've heard quite a bit of blues myself.

Its not if they play the same thing, it's how much feeling they put into it.

paul87
07-14-2006, 02:03 AM
^^^No, it would be impossible for you to hear every single blues musician, obviously, but to say that all blues is the same is to infer that you've heard all blues. So since you havent heard all blues, dont make assumptions about all of it.

EDIT: Damn you guys are fast, this was to the post where he quoted me. :p:
you're right there, actually, b/c I did infer that I've heard it all, but you knew what I was trying to say, right?

TNfootballfan62
07-14-2006, 02:04 AM
I do see your point, but there's more to blues than the I IV V. Listening to people like Charley Patton prove this point. He rarely, if ever, used a I IV V, and he's the father of Delta Blues.

paul87
07-14-2006, 02:04 AM
Its not if they play the same thing, it's how much feeling they put into it.
Ya, I guess it's a matter of opinion though...

paul87
07-14-2006, 02:05 AM
I do see your point, but there's more to blues than the I IV V. Listening to people like Charley Patton prove this point. He rarely, if ever, used a I IV V, and he's the father of Delta Blues.
I'll look into him I suppose...

Duane_Allman
07-14-2006, 02:07 AM
Listen to Charley Patton, Robert Johnson, Blind Willie Johnson, Blind Lemon Jefferson, and Son House, then try to tell me all blues sound the same.

TNfootballfan62
07-14-2006, 02:07 AM
I'll look into him I suppose...

I hope you enjoy it. :cheers:

paul87
07-14-2006, 02:09 AM
Listen to BB King, Stevie Ray Vaughan, John Lee Hooker, and Muddy Waters, your opinion will change drastically.
I've heard BB and Stevie, but John Lee Hooker and muddy Waters I've only heard OF.

TNfootballfan62
07-14-2006, 02:12 AM
^^^You should seriously check out the latter two, then. They are both amazing artists. John Lee Hooker is a personal favorite of mine.

paul87
07-14-2006, 02:12 AM
Listen to Charley Patton, Robert Johnson, Blind Willie Johnson, Blind Lemon Jefferson, and Son House, then try to tell me all blues sound the same.
I've actually have a robert johnson cd of his old recordings, though he only recorded like 20 something. Obviously these guys will sound different that more modern players b/c of electric guitar, distortion, etc.

Duane_Allman
07-14-2006, 02:13 AM
I've actually have a robert johnson cd of his old recordings, though he only recorded like 20 something. Obviously these guys will sound different that more modern players b/c of electric guitar, distortion, etc.

The guitar he played has nothing to do with it, he plays a compleatly different style all together.

paul87
07-14-2006, 02:14 AM
^^^You should seriously check out the latter two, then. They are both amazing artists. John Lee Hooker is a personal favorite of mine.
yeah, I think John Lee Hooker had a big influence on led zep b/c they mention him in some live songs. same w/johnson (traveling riverside blues)

paul87
07-14-2006, 02:16 AM
[QUOTE=Duane_Allman]The guitar he played has nothing to do with it, he plays a compleatly different style all together.[/QUOT
he played slide mostly i think...

Duane_Allman
07-14-2006, 02:18 AM
[QUOTE=Duane_Allman]The guitar he played has nothing to do with it, he plays a compleatly different style all together.[/QUOT
he played slide mostly i think...

Yeah he played silde on some tunes.

IrishBlues
07-14-2006, 10:47 AM
On How the West Was Won, Led Zep plays a John Lee Hooker tune.

As far as the B.B. King argument goes, I have the same argument with my brother who listens to mainly metal and plays bass. The way I look at it, and this is coming from a huge B.B. King fan, he may use an assortment of similar licks but thats just his style.

For example look at Stevie Ray's slow songs. Many of the licks are very similar but I dont care at all becuase the feeling put behind them reflects and changes the song completely. He could solo for an hour in the first position of the penatonic minor, but it would never get boring. Stevie, like B.B. King, play with so much emotion they have a "channel" to send that emotion through the insturment that in turn creates some kick ass blues.

So basically to an avid blues listener Im looking for the feeling that they put behind the lick not the actual lick itself. Whereas a non-blues listener that isnt moved by the feeling and sheer power of the song is just hearing guitar and nothing more.

Duane_Allman
07-14-2006, 12:16 PM
^ Thats excatlly what I was trying to say, thanks for wording it better.

A Spoon Supreme
07-14-2006, 03:10 PM
ITT: Anyone who's never understood Blues it seems like to me has said it all sounds the same.

paul87
07-15-2006, 01:50 AM
It's really a matter of opinion though.

thetearsibleed
07-17-2006, 04:11 PM
i find blues is sort of a love it or hate it thing too

like anyone i know who likes blues...REALLY digs it

and everyone else cudnt give a ****

and to irishblues...you wanna write my english essay for summer skool ;)

IrishBlues
07-17-2006, 04:45 PM
:D Whats the topic on?

thetearsibleed
07-17-2006, 06:43 PM
lol nothin i was jokin i stay away from summer school at all costs, even if it means actually studying for exams lol :D

IrishBlues
07-17-2006, 09:58 PM
Studying !?!?! Thats Crazy Talk

stevevaiguy
12-31-2006, 09:11 PM
Okay, i started this thread about a year ago, and i have a few things to address.

I still think BB Kings start the same, but he is still an amazingly musical guitarist

Steve Vai is equally as musical and the fact that sometimes he may have an elaborate sweep or legato run doesn't effect him being musical because if you play those notes slow, i would still sound good. Notes are the same notes when played in context whether they are played fast or slow.

NOW, lets talk about the beginning of BB King songs

Steve Cropper
01-01-2007, 10:52 PM
B.B. King does get boring. He plays the same set of licks alot and people eat it up. I do enjoy him in limited doses. I've grown alot fonder of the various country blues styles since I posted on this thread like a year ago.