EMG 81/85 vs. Seymour Duncan JB/ '59

PDA

View Full Version : EMG 81/85 vs. Seymour Duncan JB/ '59

numbfinger
02-27-2006, 01:55 PM
i know that the EMG is quite the Obvious pick on the two for a super high gain application.....but is it better?

there are plenty of death metal bands that dont use active EMGs..like Lamb Of God, Children of Bodom. and why do they pick non-active EMGs for that type of super high gain music
are the Ducans right for me two???
im not really a big fan of great cleans but i like them there sometimes...but i play like those bands a talked about earlier

(im useing this info for my next guitar)

now can some one explain (in detail) why you would pick the SD JB/ '59 over an EMG 81/85 set for high gain death metal

hairball
02-27-2006, 02:04 PM
now can some one explain (in detail) why you would pick the SD JB/ '59 over an EMG 81/85 set for high gain death metal

you wouldnt, for metal, the EMGs.

fwibble
02-27-2006, 02:11 PM
I've had both sets, and am much more pleasedI stuck with EMG's

mexican_shred
02-27-2006, 02:11 PM
i know that the EMG is quite the Obvious pick on the two for a super high gain application.....but is it better?

there are plenty of death metal bands that dont use active EMGs..like Lamb Of God, Children of Bodom. and why do they pick non-active EMGs for that type of super high gain music
are the Ducans right for me two???
im not really a big fan of great cleans but i like them there sometimes...but i play like those bands a talked about earlier

(im useing this info for my next guitar)

COB uses emgs. Lamb of God and Shadows fall use emgs.

gain comes from amp but pickups can help. the jb and 59 is kidna weak (for me anyways) for high gain.

gpderek09
02-27-2006, 02:34 PM
C.O.B. uses the passive EMG-HZ. not the active one (alexi anyway)

korinaflyingv
02-27-2006, 02:38 PM
well i actually hate the tone of the 81 and the jb, im more of an 85/85 person, or for duncans a custom custom.

mexican_shred
02-27-2006, 02:41 PM
Alex the former memeber used active.

False_God
02-27-2006, 02:53 PM
The jb wasnt great...Until this one Uger made a discovery that if you raise the screws on the JB to a certain way you get a great metal sound off it I.E High gain..So I'd nearly say got for the seymours and search for that thread where he tells you every thing..Emgs arent allways the best choice for metal..look at Megadeth Dave uses that combo Jb/59 and sounds really well..

mexican_shred
02-27-2006, 02:53 PM
^he uses a jazz not a '59

nic_2090
02-27-2006, 03:17 PM
I think that if you play death metal, and don't care about nice cleans, then EMG's are the way to go. They are tried and true pick-ups, and they'll get you the standard death metal tone that you know and love.

numbfinger
02-27-2006, 03:19 PM
and both guitarist for COB uses EMG-HZ

and LOG doesnt use EMGs.....they dont even use metal amps(there blues amp with overdrive pedals)

and i know how to raise pole peices

and megadeth uses the JB and sounds great

nic_2090
02-27-2006, 03:21 PM

and LOG doesnt use EMGs.....they dont even use metal amps(there blues amp with overdrive pedals)

I think you'll find that Jeff Loomis's Schecter C1 Hellraiser is equipped with active EMG's.

numbfinger
02-27-2006, 03:51 PM
so is there anyone that will backup the Duncans?

or are the EMGs just the way to go

Dave_Mc
02-27-2006, 04:00 PM
i'd go with the emg's over that duncan set, in a second. Bear in mind, you need to have a suitable amp (recto or similar!)...

there's other passive pickups i'd take over EMG's, but not duncans...

numbfinger
02-27-2006, 04:07 PM
i'd go with the emg's over that duncan set, in a second. Bear in mind, you need to have a suitable amp (recto or similar!)...

there's other passive pickups i'd take over EMG's, but not duncans...

i will have a recto or similar soon just not now.......

the only reason im picking between the two is beacuze im thinking about a schecter c-1 blackjack or a C-1 Hellraiser

numbfinger
02-27-2006, 04:20 PM
can you mix a Emg 85 & SD LW-HMET Live Wire Metal..with minimal modding

there both active so i was wondering cuz i really like the tone the SD puts out

GNR4EVER
02-27-2006, 04:48 PM
can you mix a Emg 85 & SD LW-HMET Live Wire Metal..with minimal modding

there both active so i was wondering cuz i really like the tone the SD puts out

I think I remember someone asking that a while ago and I think it says somewhere on the SD website that you can't

numbfinger
02-27-2006, 05:10 PM
I think I remember someone asking that a while ago and I think it says somewhere on the SD website that you can't
ill check it out

ihatepigum
02-27-2006, 08:21 PM

alexi and roope both have the passive emgs, but they have a gainboost built into their guitar so that they get the same effects as an active emg. i have no idea why they do this though.

gpderek09
02-27-2006, 08:51 PM

mark morton uses a mesa mark IV, which is in fact, a metal amp. and no boosts.

will adler, i think, uses a tripple/dual recto. (i saw in the ashes of the wake vidio what lookes like those two) so...

Icarus66
02-27-2006, 09:03 PM
is it a must to have a really good tube amp with emgs? what will emgs sound like with a decent solid state amp?

ibanez4life SZ!
02-27-2006, 09:04 PM
They'll sound ok, but they won't sound like you expect them to.....

Dave_Mc
02-28-2006, 11:34 AM
They'll sound ok, but they won't sound like you expect them to.....

yeah. The EMG 81 is pretty trebly, while a mesa boogie dual rectifier is pretty dark sounding- this balances out and sounds awesome, and most people who use emg's use them with a recto or similar amp- but a different style of amp, as ibanez says, won't really sound like you expect with EMG's.

nic_2090
02-28-2006, 02:26 PM
It's true, EMG 81's sound very thin with most brighter sounding amps. Unless you're running it through a Mesa, Peavey 6505, JSX, ect. then you won't get the type of sound you expect. Although, 85's sound a little better.

xxgenocide98xx
02-28-2006, 02:33 PM
The 81s sound absolutely astounding through my ENGL Powerball.. its pretty bright/thin (not really thin lean I guess is the word- its very defined. and punchy)

Dave_Mc
02-28-2006, 02:54 PM
^i'm sure they do, genocide, but (a) you like bright tones (don't you?) and (b) it still probably won't sound like people expect them too...

Still, that being said, i fiddled with my engl's controls recently, and i'm sounding pretty darn close to a recto. Just turned the presence and treble down, lol- man i love engls, they're so easy to dial in! :headbang:

beero
01-26-2007, 05:35 AM
..oh god..i have to take the same discsion ...between the c-1 black-jack and the hellraiser.....and till know i think i'm going for the hellraiser although it is about 100$ more expensive...so guys help on difference between these two pickups combos

mattldm2003
01-26-2007, 10:19 AM
..oh god..i have to take the same discsion ...between the c-1 black-jack and the hellraiser.....and till know i think i'm going for the hellraiser although it is about 100$ more expensive...so guys help on difference between these two pickups combos

I played both guitars recently and I liked the blackjack much better! If you play clean stuff, the '59 in the neck of the blackjack sounds great, and the 5 way switch gives you two single coil like sounds that work great for blues and jazz. If you are only interested in metal then the EMG's are probably the way to go, although I personally liked the sound of the blackjack through a single Recto. The mahogany body and JB work pretty well with the Mesa.

KoskineN
01-26-2007, 10:56 AM
The guys from LOG use SD JB/ '59

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/news/index.php?display_article=18

http://www.espguitars.com/ -> check the Will Alder model

The guys from Arch Enemy use them too!!!

So I think that you can do METAL with those! :-)

Dimarzio Breed
01-26-2007, 12:24 PM
I'd take the duncans over EMGS. Much more versatality and much better cleans.
But if your only gonna play high gain metal EMGS may be the better choice.
JBs can definitely do metal (listen to Kill em all or any Megadeth record)

Jacksonist
01-26-2007, 12:24 PM
Duh, EMG's!
i really dont like duncans... they're sound is ****ing anoying.

aussiemarine
01-28-2007, 02:30 AM
alexi and roope both have the passive emgs, but they have a gainboost built into their guitar so that they get the same effects as an active emg. i have no idea why they do this though.

i have the same thing on my jackson

normally the jackson dkmg's that i've seen have an active emg 81/85 combo, but mine has two emg-hz h4 passive pickups, with a gain switch on it

i haven't played a guitar with emg active pickups, but i like being able to have high gain with the switch, but then being able to deactivate it, and have a nice, clear, tight sound without feedback, and minimal noise

so i think i understand why they use passive pickups

Syn Harvest
01-28-2007, 07:16 AM
OK I have been an Avid User of EMGs for years. But of recent i have started to need a little more articulation to my tone. When doing distorted chords or or single notes the distortion is overbearing and fuzzes everything up. At least IMO. So i myself am probably switching to something else. Possibly check out the Bill Lawrence L500-XL its very nice. As well as BKs i have been exchanging emails with tim from there and hes been extremely helpful so i think im going to go with them. Maybe check some of the stuff i mentioned it helped me out.

Oh also about raising the poles on a JB i thought IBanez4life was the one who mentioned that.

Tarzan_man
01-28-2007, 08:25 AM
I perfer the JB to a 81, and I've played both through a high gain amp. To me the 81 felt a little...not processed, but it felt like the pickup was already being pushed when you were already not picking that hard. I didn't really like that. With the JB I felt the difference as I picked harder and it had more of a natural pushing sound if you know what I mean. And I've always like the Megadeth tone, one of my favorites though is Mickeal Amotts from Arch Enemy on the the Doomsday machine. Skeleton dance around 3:06. Sounds suberb and you can tell the man picks hard.

davedoom
01-28-2007, 09:15 AM
do you want cleans? is what youve got to ask yourself

alexi uses or def. did use a HZ EMG, but with an afterburner 15db or something gain boost pot like K.K uses to really make it an active but with better reliability and (better cleans?)

sheldonplank
01-28-2007, 09:21 AM
Lamb of God use emgs.

Lamb of God use Seymour Duncans, not EMGs.