Lynyrd Skynyrd

PDA

View Full Version : Lynyrd Skynyrd

jewishosama
03-01-2006, 01:18 AM
i searched and didnt find a Skynyrd thread... ****ing blasphemy.

favorite classic rock band, and i think, personally, that theyre are on the whole underrated. When people talk about Skynyrd, i think that they look at them as second fiddle to Zeppelin or something. Personally, i think they own Zeppelin. Anyway, your thoughts, whatever you wnat to say.

Diceman42
03-01-2006, 02:06 AM
skynyrd are good, but not zeppelin good.

personally i prefer the underrated "The Last Rebel" ..that album really rocked.

rustedjustin
03-01-2006, 03:47 AM
i don't know lynard skynard, so what do i know? Led Zeppelin is my favorite band, and Neil Young is my favorite artist. i hope mr Young will remember. i spit on cover bands when they play that song and i also bag the **** out of lynard skynard for being racist when i do my radio show. so many positive thoughts on this band.

China Groove
03-01-2006, 11:29 AM
With hits like , That Smell, Simple Man, Whats Your Name?, Sweet Home Alabama, Call Me the Breeze, and Freebird??? How could anyone not like them?

Derigiberble
03-01-2006, 12:25 PM
skynyrd are good, but not zeppelin good.

personally i prefer the underrated "The Last Rebel" ..that album really rocked.

there are bands other than Led Zeppelin :rolleyes:

Personally i think Skynyrd are much more talented than them, first album is the best, I ain't the one is a classic.

Liam Alan
03-01-2006, 12:35 PM
Never a big Skynyrd fan. I like them and can listen to them but I havr only owned maybe 3 of their albums.

To any that gripe about Young Vs. Skynyrd you need to stop. Or at least do some research. Neil and the guys in Skynyrd were fans. Here...

Here (http://hyperrust.org/General/Skynyrd.html)

It is on the first page of from googling Neil Young Vs. Lynyrd Skynyrd. Not hard at all to look up and get educated.

mojorisin58
03-01-2006, 01:04 PM
and i also bag the **** out of lynard skynard for being racist when i do my radio show. so many positive thoughts on this band.

Dude your a dumb a** Ronnie Van Zadnt was not racist and niether were any of the members of skynyrd, Ronnie was a huge fan of Neil Young AND Jimi Hendrix, oh ya and in case you werent aware Jimi is black

terrencemaddox
03-01-2006, 02:10 PM
They are too damn good. I know its an obvious choice, but Freebird...I mean, come on. Not too mention other classics like I know a Little and Tuesday's Gone. The three guitar attack kills me everytime.

slinks
03-01-2006, 03:09 PM
I like them quite a bit, though I have to say I side with Neil Young on that little "feud" of their's (realize it was really not much of anything, but whatever). Favorite song is probably "Gimme Back My Bullets".

Rock1986
03-01-2006, 03:25 PM
I love Skynad, but God they are overplayed on my local classic rock station at work.

Glass
03-01-2006, 03:46 PM
who here (if any) are angry about the cover of Simple Man?

ledhead73
03-01-2006, 04:08 PM
Yah, Skynard did some great stuff. A lot of it was redundant, but still, I'll listen to Tuesdays Gone anyday. FREEBIRD!!

Hanzi_G
03-01-2006, 04:10 PM
With hits like , That Smell, Simple Man, Whats Your Name?, Sweet Home Alabama, Call Me the Breeze, and Freebird??? How could anyone not like them?

My thoughts exactly.

Skynyrd are a great band. 'Nuff said.

KingBrendan5149
03-01-2006, 05:45 PM
i'm going to see them live August 10th.

slinks
03-01-2006, 05:53 PM

Not I, I thought it was a pretty damn good cover actually; assuming you're talking about the Shinedown cover and not some other band.

jewishosama
03-01-2006, 06:05 PM
Dude your a dumb a** Ronnie Van Zadnt was not racist and niether were any of the members of skynyrd, Ronnie was a huge fan of Neil Young AND Jimi Hendrix, oh ya and in case you werent aware Jimi is black
"you dont have to be black to be a ******" - Ronnie Van Zant

and he's right too...

Sherman901
03-01-2006, 06:46 PM

I'm absolutely stunned they were able to record and release that.

greysonsmith
03-01-2006, 10:27 PM
Skynyrd...God what a great band...so underappreciated

Guitarplaya27
03-01-2006, 10:35 PM
Lynyrd Skynyrd is great!!!!
I tried makig a thread like this but it got closed

rustedjustin
03-01-2006, 11:32 PM
i know my neil young lynard skynard history. i know it well. and my mind is still as steadfast. led zeppelin **** all over lynard skynard, in pretty much every way possible. i am no dumb arse. and i know for damn sure i dont burn crosses on peoples front lawns. is that a pre-requisite to liking lynard skynard?

WOW! did that just throw more petrol on the fire?

Palfrey
03-02-2006, 01:52 PM
^^ No, it just proved that you are an ass.

trey-col89
03-02-2006, 02:45 PM
Skynyrd is great... I happen to be wearing a Skynyrd shirt right now.

Glass
03-02-2006, 03:04 PM
I'm absolutely stunned they were able to record and release that.
Thank you! Finally someone else cares.......

And not to talk down to slinks, I was just disappointed. Yes, I am talking about Shinedown's cover. But it sounded to me like he should have been singing to a pop song, because of all the embelishments he did.

dudus_remanet
03-02-2006, 05:42 PM
i know my neil young lynard skynard history. i know it well. and my mind is still as steadfast. led zeppelin **** all over lynard skynard, in pretty much every way possible. i am no dumb arse. and i know for damn sure i dont burn crosses on peoples front lawns. is that a pre-requisite to liking lynard skynard?

WOW! did that just throw more petrol on the fire?

You are a dumb arse. 'The Ballad of Curtis Loew' is far from a racist song and I'm very certain that no member past or present of Skynyrd has ever burned a cross on anyone's yard. Just because some white supremecists happen to listen to Skynyrd and be bigots doesn't justify stereotyping a band and its fans.

Ronnie Van Zant routinely sported a Neil Young shirt casually and I believe on stage. He respected Young's music but disagreed with some of the lyrics of Southern Man, it was hardly a feud.

Skynyrd is a great band that fully deserves the attention given to them even today. Sadly I saw the Skynyrd tribute band led by Ronnie's brother this past summer and was pretty dissappointed. They rushed through their set, sounded horrid and beer wasn't served at the concert. Southern Rock and no beer, blasphemy!

rustedjustin
03-02-2006, 07:53 PM
yeah, and billy talbot (the bass player from crazy horse [the band neil sometimes tours with]) wore a lynard skynard t-shirt on the rust never sleeps tour. you can apparently see it on the live rust dvd. its a black t-shirt that looks like a jack daniels (?) t-shirt, but really says lynard skynard.

like i mention in a previous post. i know alot about the neil young lynard skynard history. i also heard that when lynard skynard played at night they'd sometimes wear white cloaks so that people in the audience could see them clearer. and i also heard that in closing numbers, so the audience could see them clearer, they would iluminate the stage by igniting a giant cross. oh wait, that wasn't a concert, that was a klan rally.

ok, i promise i wont go reving you all up again about the whole racist thing. but you all bite so well.

Angus76
03-02-2006, 08:10 PM
I'm as freeee asss a biirrd nowwww!!!!! WHoa man, do I love southern rock and skynyrd.

mojorisin58
03-03-2006, 12:53 PM
yeah, and billy talbot (the bass player from crazy horse [the band neil sometimes tours with]) wore a lynard skynard t-shirt on the rust never sleeps tour. you can apparently see it on the live rust dvd. its a black t-shirt that looks like a jack daniels (?) t-shirt, but really says lynard skynard.

like i mention in a previous post. i know alot about the neil young lynard skynard history. i also heard that when lynard skynard played at night they'd sometimes wear white cloaks so that people in the audience could see them clearer. and i also heard that in closing numbers, so the audience could see them clearer, they would iluminate the stage by igniting a giant cross. oh wait, that wasn't a concert, that was a klan rally.

ok, i promise i wont go reving you all up again about the whole racist thing. but you all bite so well.

Retarded!!!!!!they werent even racist, so stop being ignorant, you just think that since they come from the south "oh they're racist" ya well your highly ignorant

greysonsmith
03-04-2006, 11:31 AM
rustedjustin u sir are the biggest prick i have ever seen

psychodelia
03-04-2006, 11:48 AM
Skynard is alright, I like some of their stuff, but really the extended Freebird solo is just too much, and everyone always asks me to play Sweet Home Alabama.... so I get a little sick of them.

Glass
03-07-2006, 03:10 PM
Ronnie Van Zant routinely sported a Neil Young shirt casually and I believe on stage.

Did you hear (most likely) about the 'fans' who dug him up to see if he was really buried in a Neil Young shirt?
His wife informed everyone that he was burrued in a flannel shirt and jeans.
I saw this on, I think, VH1.

get-born
03-07-2006, 04:01 PM
led zeppelin > lynyrd skynyrd

but still skynyrd does rock, its so pure yah know? i mean like it just comes out and hits you, my favorite song is probaly saturday night special, i dont really think them and neil young batteled too much, and i love neil young too, but its too bad ronnie died...

get-born
03-07-2006, 04:04 PM
rustedjustin youre an asshole

jesusgonewrong
03-07-2006, 04:07 PM
Ah Lynard Skynard, Great band. I'm not a Huge fan, but they ahve some pretty catchy tracks & who can forget the Anthem Freebird? To bad there was that plane crash.....

slinks
03-07-2006, 04:52 PM
Thank you! Finally someone else cares.......

And not to talk down to slinks, I was just disappointed. Yes, I am talking about Shinedown's cover. But it sounded to me like he should have been singing to a pop song, because of all the embelishments he did.

I didn't necessarily mean it was awesome or anything, just that they did a respectable job covering it. It's always tough covering a classic like "Simple Man", and I'm not really a Shinedown fan, but you have to admit that guy's a pretty damn good singer. He did the song justice imo. Of course, any cover will never be better than the original but I do commend them for their efforts.

Glass
03-08-2006, 03:09 PM
I didn't necessarily mean it was awesome or anything, just that they did a respectable job covering it. It's always tough covering a classic like "Simple Man", and I'm not really a Shinedown fan, but you have to admit that guy's a pretty damn good singer. He did the song justice imo. Of course, any cover will never be better than the original but I do commend them for their efforts.

Very good point. He is a very talented singer, I definately give him that. But just as a Skynyrd fan, I was disappointed that it was covered.

jewishosama
03-08-2006, 04:14 PM
^well, that song in particular is hard to cover and live up to the original, much less better it. its just one of those songs that really shouldnt be touched, IMO

rustedjustin
03-09-2006, 12:21 AM
rustedjustin youre an asshole

i also liked "rustedjustin u sir are the biggest prick i have ever seen" (even though you havent seen me. internet forums, at least in the way you an i communicate, are a written media, we don't see each other. but i knew what you meant, so semantics aside).

but my favorite was the person who wrote that i thought because lynard skynard were from the south they were racist, and this was due to my ignorance.

from the get go my reasons for thinking lynard skynard are racist was due to the lyrics to sweet home alabama. my ignorance lies in the intepretation of these lyrics and my seeming lack of ability to see past this testiment to their racist views, to other less racist songs. For those who criticize my posts, and call me an arsehole and a prick because i have less than flattering views on your precious lynard skynard, i think you are stupid and that your comprehension skills seem to be a little on the dull side. For those who called me ignorant, you are alright with me.

Also, while i'm at it, so long as people keep making fun of poor old justin he will keep making fun of lynard skynard and their racist ways.

jewishosama
03-09-2006, 01:16 PM
^well then, can you explain to me why "Sweet Home Alabama" is racist? i dont quite understand why one would be led to think as such?

play th' geetar
03-09-2006, 02:56 PM
Skynyrd is awsome i love their stuff.

Favorite is freebird, i can play the whole song now. (not to be bragging)

mojorisin58
03-09-2006, 04:16 PM
ya exactly what part of Sweet Home Alabama Refers to any racism????

greysonsmith
03-09-2006, 05:27 PM
yeah i'd like to hear about this as well

R_H_C_P
03-10-2006, 01:35 PM
Great band, especially Call Me The Breeze and Free Bird.

He's got the greatest name ever though...

gunsnspaghetti
03-11-2006, 08:04 AM
I only just got into skynyrd, and have been meaning to ask someone... what are their best tracks?
I bought the album 'Lynyrd Skynyrd, the collection', but havent listened to it yet!

Glass
03-13-2006, 11:44 AM
I only just got into skynyrd, and have been meaning to ask someone... what are their best tracks?
I bought the album 'Lynyrd Skynyrd, the collection', but havent listened to it yet!

It really depends on the person. For example, there are many fans who love 'Free Bird' but there are also fans who think the solo is annoying. You kinda gotta listen and see which ones you like best.

Jack_White455
03-13-2006, 12:00 PM
Lynyrd Skynyrd are a pretty good band. My favorite song by them would probably be Simple Man, followed by Tuesday's Gone. I do have to say that the solo to Free Bird is kind of annoying.

curtis loew
05-20-2006, 09:00 PM
what is your favorite song. i'd have to say ballad of curtis loew or saturday night special

Lukeisonfire
05-20-2006, 09:31 PM
Some neat trivia that i bet you all knew: Sweet home alabama was written to neal young becuase he wrote a song dissing the south.

jcthomasva
05-20-2006, 09:45 PM
Luke - what are you doing in this forum? Get back over to Modern Rock where you belong!

Sweet Home Alabama was written as a rebuttal to Neil Young's "Alabama" which Van Zant thought typecasted all Southerners as slave-beating hate mongerers. They also allude to Young's more prominent song "Southern Man."

I do find it kind of amusing that so many of you non-Southerners are discovering Skynyrd. Just goes to show that great music knows no geographic boundaries, but we Southerners are the best at it. :D

curtis loew
05-20-2006, 10:11 PM
a family friend of ours went to school with the van zants and she knows where curtis loews house is in jacksonville

freewheelinbird
05-20-2006, 10:27 PM
i don't know lynard skynard, so what do i know? Led Zeppelin is my favorite band, and Neil Young is my favorite artist. i hope mr Young will remember. i spit on cover bands when they play that song and i also bag the **** out of lynard skynard for being racist when i do my radio show. so many positive thoughts on this band.

How can an idiot like you run a radio show?

-Sweet home Alabama is one of the greatest rock songs ever written
-Tell Neil Young you hate Skynyrd. He'd probably spit on you. He respects and admires Skynyrd.
-And Skynyrd respect him. They responded to Southern Men as a joke, because they're the opposite of racist rednecks. Mr. Saturday Night Special is an anti-gun statement.
-The lead singer was buried in a Neil Young shirt.
-They pioneered an entire genre of music (Allman Brothers hardly tapped into southern rock until Brothers and sisters)
-Probably one of the finest groups of lead guitarists you'll find.

Neil Young: "Lynyrd Skynyrd almost ended up recording Powderfinger before my version came out. We sent them an early demo of it because they wanted to do one of my songs."

Neil Young: "Oh, they didn't really put me down! But then again, maybe they did! (laughs) But not in a way that matters. ****, I think Sweet Home Alabama is a great song. I've actually performed it live a couple of times myself. "

Consider yourself Sweet Home Alabamowned.

freewheelinbird
05-20-2006, 10:48 PM
OH and when he says "In Birmingham they love the governor" that line is followed directly by "BOO BOO BOO!"

and also theres a line in the song thats "Montgomery got the answer" Montgomery was a march led by Mart Luther King jr.

curtis loew
05-20-2006, 10:52 PM
ronny van zant was exumed by someone and they think it might be neil or someone close to neil because they supposedly had a big fued according to vh1. think about what they could have done if they hadnt been on that plane

freewheelinbird
05-20-2006, 11:54 PM
ronny van zant was exumed by someone and they think it might be neil or someone close to neil because they supposedly had a big fued according to vh1. think about what they could have done if they hadnt been on that plane

then vh1 is full of shiit. neil, even if he did hate skynyrd, wouldnt dig up his fuccking grave to get back at them.

jewishosama
05-22-2006, 10:00 AM
then vh1 is full of shiit. neil, even if he did hate skynyrd, wouldnt dig up his fuccking grave to get back at them.
+1

Matt1643
05-22-2006, 09:05 PM
The old Skynyrd was unbeatable, but I think the current band sucks. 2 guitars instead of the classic 3. The old band played with burning intensity and did'nt play the exact copy of the song from the records. They mixed it up, making every concert different. These days the band is trying to play like the old Skynyrd, and can't. They're also playing every song the same. They need to create some new songs with the intensity of the original Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Email me at matt234501@aol.com