sonic youth

PDA

View Full Version : sonic youth

boredretard
03-02-2006, 04:59 AM
who here likes these guys? my favourites frome them are goo and dirty

edit: oh yeah i got washing mashine yesterday and the first song was teenage riot and on the tracklist it doesnt say anything. is teenage riot first?

seljer
03-02-2006, 05:16 AM
try over in the alternative/indie subalbum

Teenage Riot is off Daydream Nation for what I know

cool band :)

boredretard
03-02-2006, 09:17 AM
hmm really weird, maybe the dumbasses at the cd shop put the wrong one in, i turned to the next song and is not like daydream nation

seljer
03-02-2006, 09:20 AM
hmm, really weird.

tracklist for Washing Machine:
1. "Becuz" ? 4:43
2. "Junkie's Promise" ? 4:02
3. "Saucer-Like" ? 4:25
4. "Washing Machine" ? 9:33
5. "Unwind" ? 6:02
6. "Little Trouble Girl" ? 4:29
7. "No Queen Blues" ? 4:35
8. "Panty Lies" ? 4:15
9. "Untitled" ? 2:49
10. "Skip Tracer" ? 3:48
11. "The Diamond Sea" ? 19:35

and Daydream Nation is
#1 Teen Age Riot ? 6:57
#2 Silver Rocket ? 3:47
#3 The Sprawl ? 7:42
#4 'Cross the Breeze ? 7:00
#5 Eric's Trip ? 3:48
#6 Total Trash ? 7:33
#7 Hey Joni ? 4:23
#8 Providence ? 2:41
#9 Candle ? 4:58
#10 Rain King ? 4:39
#11 Kissability ? 3:08
#12 Trilogy: ? 14:02

DorkusMalorkus
03-02-2006, 10:09 AM
hmm really weird, maybe the dumbasses at the cd shop put the wrong one in, i turned to the next song and is not like daydream nation
Are you sure? Maybe you were just thought the song Becuz was named Teenage Riot?

What does your CD look like?

That is weird.

Anyway. Sonic Youth. My favorite band. Ever. I need 6 more albums to finish my collection, although it won't stop there.

They have reissues coming out on the 8th, of the EP, Ciccone Youth's (Side project band) the Whitey Album and The Psychich Heart's (Thurstons solo project) self titled album.

_stalemate_
03-02-2006, 12:09 PM
Is there a new Sonic Youth thread every 2 weeks?!

Good band, but attempt a search first.

lo fi nights
03-02-2006, 03:17 PM
I love sonic youth, Schizophrenia is one of my favorite songs of all time

boredretard
03-02-2006, 03:57 PM
Are you sure? Maybe you were just thought the song Becuz was named Teenage Riot?

What does your CD look like?

That is weird.

Anyway. Sonic Youth. My favorite band. Ever. I need 6 more albums to finish my collection, although it won't stop there.

They have reissues coming out on the 8th, of the EP, Ciccone Youth's (Side project band) the Whitey Album and The Psychich Heart's (Thurstons solo project) self titled album.

no i have daydream nation and i know what teenage riot sounds like. i got 2 cds with washing machine so im really confused with the tracks. i m gonna take a picture of the cd later, but can you find a picture of the daydream nation cd? i have a copy of daydream nation so i dont know what the cd looks like. porbably they swapped the cds

DorkusMalorkus
03-02-2006, 05:51 PM
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/lp/lp06s.jpg

That is what the DDN disc looks like. I'll upload Teenage Riot for you in a second, so that you know what it really is.

2 CD's with Washing Machine? Doesn't sound right to me.

http://s7.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0VWVR32UN6B1Q1G1QINK5I25F1

sydbarrettsaves
03-02-2006, 08:53 PM
sorry dude but teenage riot isnt on wm

DorkusMalorkus
03-02-2006, 09:14 PM
I think he is getting mixed up, big time.

Okay, you bought Washing Machine, with the 2 guys with the Washing Machine shirts, right? The song that plays first is Teenage Riot? And you got a copied version of Teenage Riot? I think that what you think is Teenage Riot is actually Becuz, the first WM song..

boredretard
03-03-2006, 04:20 AM
no, its not, i have all of daydream nation copyed so i know, and yea the guy with the shirts and it ad 2 cds in it. i just played the second one and kim starts singing trough one of those talk voice modulation thingies. is that becuz? so the 2nd one has like a big black circle on the cd

boredretard
03-03-2006, 04:26 AM
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/lp/lp06s.jpg

That is what the DDN disc looks like. I'll upload Teenage Riot for you in a second, so that you know what it really is.

2 CD's with Washing Machine? Doesn't sound right to me.

http://s7.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0VWVR32UN6B1Q1G1QINK5I25F1

the cds not like that, is grey and with loads of black blocks that say sonic youth in grey. thats the 1st one

the 2nd one is just a circle darwn on the cd and everything is black

Geek_Aus
03-03-2006, 04:52 AM
I wanna buy a Sonic Youth cd, but no idea which I should get first? which would you say is their best?

boredretard
03-03-2006, 04:54 AM
i like goo the most

GrungeMonkey
03-03-2006, 02:36 PM
Daydream Nation, Goo or Dirty are the best to start at.

DorkusMalorkus
03-03-2006, 06:36 PM
Dirty...not that great. The only good songs are Wish Fulfillment, Chapel Hill, and Genetic (why the hell was this not on the LP and only a B-side? Why the **** was nic fit in the LP? Genetic is probably the best from the Dirty era)

Oh and Sugar Kane is pretty good too.

GrungeMonkey
03-10-2006, 04:57 PM
Dirty...not that great. The only good songs are Wish Fulfillment, Chapel Hill, and Genetic (why the hell was this not on the LP and only a B-side? Why the **** was nic fit in the LP? Genetic is probably the best from the Dirty era)

I would have to disagree. It is not their best album, but its a very good album to begin with, as its more commercial sounding and has clearer production than most of the other albums, so is a bit more accessible. I'd start with Daydream Nation though. Genius.

DorkusMalorkus
03-10-2006, 05:49 PM
You are right. In fact Dirty was one of the first albums I got.

My suggestions to start with though would be:

Daydream Nation
Sister
Evol

As I typed this, I just found out 3 SY cd's have arrived for me (SYR 4 A Thousand Leaves and NYC Ghost and FLower) Only 3 more to finish the collection.

Nefro
03-10-2006, 06:18 PM
Sonic Youth is currently my favorite band. I've got Daydream Nation, Dirty, Sonic Nurse, and Goo. I love them.

I have a question about Thurston moore though. He uses a big muff pi sustain/distortion pedal, right?

DorkusMalorkus
03-10-2006, 07:09 PM
Sonic Youth is currently my favorite band. I've got Daydream Nation, Dirty, Sonic Nurse, and Goo. I love them.

I have a question about Thurston moore though. He uses a big muff pi sustain/distortion pedal, right?
I believe he has...but also a proco rat...

# In the early-mid 80s, Sonic Youth rarely used effects pedals. They relied on sheer volume for their distortion, and preferred to let their sound remain pure and free of too much processing. Towards the end of the decade they began to experiment w/ fuzzboxes, volume pedals, and of course, Lee discovered delay. Thurston typically relied solely on several distortion pedals before branching out to wahs & phasers & octave dividers in the mid 90s, while Lee had more freedom to roam about with modulation effects.

Below is the information I can confirm for sure -- where there are gaps in years and the same set-up appears on either side of the gap, you can infer that it was continuously used thru that period.

# Dearmond volume pedal
# MXR Blue Box
# Proco Turbo Rat
# DOD Fuzzbox
# Proco Turbo Rat
# Sovtek Big Muff
# Mutron Fuzz/Wah (70s)
# Mutron Phase Shifter
# Proco Turbo Rat
# Mutron Wah/Vol
# Ludwig Phase II Guitar Synthesizer

View the Phase II (used for Diamond Sea).
# Sovtek Big Muff
# Proco Turbo Rat
# MXR Blue Box (Dunlop)
# MXR Phase 90
# Dunlop Hendrix Octave Fuzz
# Mu-Tron Wah/Vol
# Mu-Tron Octave Divider (not in tour rig)

Thanks to the now defunct original SY supersite evol.org, I can provide you with some photographs of SY's effects gear from the '98 "A Thousand Leaves" tour, specifically the 5/21/98 Portland, OR gig. Many thanks to Michael McCullough for taking these.

# Sovtek Big Muff & Turbo Rat
# Turbo Rat
# Phase 90 & Blue Box
# Mu-Tron Wah/Vol, Big Muff, Turbo Rat & Hendrix Octave Fuzz

# Sovtek Big Muff
# ProCo Turbo Rat
# MXR Phase 90
# MXR Blue Box
# Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Octave Fuzz
# Mu-tron Wah/Vol
# No pedals for "nyc ghosts & flowers" LP
# Tour effects very similar to '98
# Mu-Tron Wah-Vol
# Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
# ProCo Turbo Rat
# Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Octave Fuzz
# MXR Phase 90
# MXR Blue Box

That is from the SY gear guide: http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/eq/gear.html

lo fi nights
03-11-2006, 09:43 AM
start with sister

sponj
03-12-2006, 11:15 AM
I will die without seeing them live ._. Dorkus, do you count the SYR as SY albums? I don't ._. I need to get Confusion is Sex, NYC ghosts and flowers and sonic nurse. I've heard a new track on youtube.com called mirror and it... well, it's okay, nothing special.

warm machine
03-12-2006, 01:55 PM
I like drunken butterfly.

DorkusMalorkus
03-12-2006, 06:45 PM
I will die without seeing them live ._. Dorkus, do you count the SYR as SY albums? I don't ._. I need to get Confusion is Sex, NYC ghosts and flowers and sonic nurse. I've heard a new track on youtube.com called mirror and it... well, it's okay, nothing special.
I consider them part of the collection.

I hope you get to see them live at some point...

Cirrus Minor
03-12-2006, 07:22 PM
I'm beginning to get a little deeper into them. Some of their songs just don't anywhere for me though.

DorkusMalorkus
03-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Doesn't go anywhere?

What have you been listening too thus far?

starsnostars
03-13-2006, 12:58 AM
they're playing bonnaroo this year. i bought tickets the first day for radiohead and others, and finding out sonic youth is now on the bill makes it that much better.

DorkusMalorkus
03-13-2006, 08:46 AM
I heard about that...it made me want to move to Tennessee. But SY are touring with the Flaming Lips this year, so I'll get to see them when they come around California.

Who is psyched about the reissues coming out tomorrow?

crawlingfaster
03-13-2006, 10:00 PM
do they still manufacture sonic youth cds that arent remasters? just the original album? cuz i want to find the original goo album but i cant find it anywhere...

Dance-Macabre
03-13-2006, 10:08 PM
I really enjoy Sonic Youth, but I don't really like many of Kim's songs. Kool Thing is really cool, but most of her other ones aren't bad they're just okay, I don't knwo am I the only one? I think Thurston's are brilliant. But whoever is singing the guitar playing will always be amazing.

DorkusMalorkus
03-14-2006, 12:00 AM
do they still manufacture sonic youth cds that arent remasters? just the original album? cuz i want to find the original goo album but i cant find it anywhere...
Most people say it was crappy crappy production...But if you do enough searching online or at a store you can find them.

I saw a copy at the Vigin Megastore the other day.

I really enjoy Sonic Youth, but I don't really like many of Kim's songs. Kool Thing is really cool, but most of her other ones aren't bad they're just okay, I don't knwo am I the only one? I think Thurston's are brilliant. But whoever is singing the guitar playing will always be amazing.

I think it is an acquired taste. I didn't like her songs so much at first. But I like them loads more now, than I did 2 years ago.

Btw, Lee's songs are the best... :D

sponj
03-14-2006, 08:39 AM
Yeah Lee's are really the best, the most poetic.
I think I have an original Goo album, it isn't the deluxe version and doesn't say remastered anywhere. It's not crappy crappy production.

DorkusMalorkus
03-14-2006, 09:05 AM
Yeah Lee's are really the best, the most poetic.
I think I have an original Goo album, it isn't the deluxe version and doesn't say remastered anywhere. It's not crappy crappy production.
A lot of people on the SY message boards say it...I wouldn't know, though.

DorkusMalorkus
03-14-2006, 10:01 PM
Damn it!

I just went to pick up the new reissues. They had the EP and Ciccone's Whity album. No such luck with the Psychic Hearts. Anyway...I got home and started ripping. The whitey album was a success. The EP, I can't say the same for. I started ripping. I noticed a burning smell coming from my computer, it had had problems were it overheated before. I only had 2 more songs left to rip, I figured I could make it through. It got to the last song, and it just shut down. It overheated, and the other times it's done that I wait a while and turn it back on no problem. I wait, press the on button and all I get is the sound of the button. I need a new power supply. What is worse is that I can't get the CD out. The button that is on the drive for 'emergency open' (for lack of a better term) only works when the computer is on. GRRRR! My dad won't take me to besbuy until tomorrow.

Nefro
03-14-2006, 10:54 PM
I got Goo off of Amazon the other day. Not the remastered edition or deluxe edition. I've been wanting to listen, but I was watching their video, The Year Punk Broke, and it was an awesome video.

Dance-Macabre
03-15-2006, 02:22 AM
Hey since this is a guitar forum and I am a little new at guitar. Does anyone have any little tidbits or advice on sounding like thurston moore. Because we all know he does the drumstick on the guitar but I still don't see how they make some of these noises.

DorkusMalorkus
03-15-2006, 10:34 AM
Go to the Gear Guide (http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/eq/gear.html) and Tab Archive (http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/tab/index.html)

The tabs have some good detail...you can look there for tips....but the best advice would be to experiment on your own.

slinks
03-15-2006, 05:07 PM
I just ordered Confusion is Sex/ Kill Yr Idols last night, so I'm really looking forward to that. I still don't have nearly as much SY as I would like, though (I only have Washing Machine and Dirty). I'm hoping to get EVOL shortly too.

DorkusMalorkus
03-16-2006, 10:27 AM
I just ordered Confusion is Sex/ Kill Yr Idols last night, so I'm really looking forward to that. I still don't have nearly as much SY as I would like, though (I only have Washing Machine and Dirty). I'm hoping to get EVOL shortly too.
Definitly...get Evol, Daydream Nation, Bad Moon Rising, and Sister next.

mothercruncher
05-19-2006, 07:25 PM
SY- all time fave band. Sister all time fave SY album. The production doesn't matter when there is that much depth. Love Goo too and some of the albums where they started to branch out into other areas like the Ciccone Youth stuff, Experimental Jetset etc.

I prefer just making my own stuff up, but even if I didin't, I don't know where I'd start with Sonic Youth- haven't they always used some weird tunings?

DirgeForTheSun
05-21-2006, 02:36 PM
daydream nation

wow

DorkusMalorkus
05-21-2006, 03:15 PM
...All I need is SYR 5 and 6, and come June 13th Rather Ripped...

The album is streaming on their site.

sponj
05-21-2006, 03:24 PM
what do you think of the new album dorkus? i didn't like most of what i've heard..

slinks
05-21-2006, 03:54 PM
As much as it hurts me to say, I'm probably not going to be getting Rather Ripped. What I've heard of it, to put it simply, has just been bad. It seems to be a misstep for SY IMO.

sponj
05-21-2006, 03:56 PM
yeah exactly my thoughts.. but im still gonna buy it. cause i love them

slinks
05-21-2006, 03:59 PM
I like them a lot as well, but I think I'm going to use that same money to round out some of my SY back catalog.

DorkusMalorkus
05-21-2006, 04:07 PM
Well of course I am going to buy it. I think it is okay. I only listened to it once, and to my suprise I liked a lot of the Kim songs more than the Thurston songs. Good for Kim. The album isn't their best. Certainly no Murray Street or Sonic Nurse. The weakest of that 'triology'.

chrus
05-21-2006, 08:14 PM
havent heard the new album, in fact i just found out about it right now in this thread but i recently came across their cover of the carpenters' 'superstar'. woah. definately one of the most badass songs i've heard.

uhh_me?
05-22-2006, 12:06 AM
havent heard the new album, in fact i just found out about it right now in this thread but i recently came across their cover of the carpenters' 'superstar'. woah. definately one of the most badass songs i've heard.

Oh yes, that cover owns...so good

As for opinions on the new album, its ok. Nowhere near Washing Machine (which I think is the peak of SY), but I've only listened to Rather Ripped once. After a few more listens I'll give a real opinion.

sponj
05-22-2006, 03:35 PM
murray street and sonic nurse are like, not the best sonic youth stuff ever. i wish they would rock the ****e out like in the old days.

DorkusMalorkus
05-22-2006, 07:49 PM
murray street and sonic nurse are like, not the best sonic youth stuff ever. i wish they would rock the ****e out like in the old days.
Of course it is not the best stuff, but in this era of SY, Rather Ripped is the weakest.

sponj
05-23-2006, 09:19 AM
yes i agree.