Jim Morrison and other poets

PDA

View Full Version : Jim Morrison and other poets

mojorisin58
03-03-2006, 01:05 PM
hey ok i havent found any threads really dedicated to Mojo Risin' so i thought it would be good to make a thread dedicated to Jim and all the other poets in Rock and roll History, so heres a place to just talk about jim his poetry and others like dylan, young, so forth

Manzo
03-03-2006, 01:11 PM
Jim has given me some very good dreams :cool:

mojorisin58
03-03-2006, 01:12 PM
Jim is the reason i started writing

igotabcrich32
03-03-2006, 04:03 PM
Jim is awesoem and a great poet, i really like An American Prayer.

and Mojo, you should share some of your written stuff.

TimiHendrix33
03-03-2006, 04:46 PM
Jim is one of the greatest songwriters ever. Personally I think Bob Dylan is better. And for comic relief, Frank Zappa can not be overlooked.

ź├Fire¤nside╗
03-03-2006, 04:53 PM
Unreal Songwriter. Love his stuff....I don't have An American Prayer however, though I'm extremely interested in getting it soon.

Messer
03-03-2006, 05:57 PM
I love The Doors. They are one of my all-time favorite bands. Jim was an amazing poet and song writter. He is one of the main reasons I started writting poetry and songs. He has had a huge influence on me. The stuff he writes is unreal. One of the best poet/song writters ever. I love him.

fenderfreak101
03-03-2006, 07:27 PM
Honestly, i think Morrison is the most over-rated writer next to Gerard Way.

None of his stuff has ever really impressed me at all.

any suggestions to change my mind?

ledhead73
03-03-2006, 10:46 PM
Personally I think that Morrison was just a drunken dolt. But I can't really argue with that fact that so many people like his work, I guess I just never got it. I guess what I didn't like about him was the fact that I thought he was a total spaced out idiot, yet he acted like he was this great poet, such a noble being. What a crock of sh*t. That of course is only my opinion.
I also hate Bob Dylan, but I do think he is a great lyricist. He is a terrible singer, but I have yet to hear better lyrics from anyone else in rock music. Got to love Zappa as well. I am watching out where the huskies go, believe me.

fenderfreak101
03-04-2006, 12:06 AM
Personally I think that Morrison was just a drunken dolt. But I can't really argue with that fact that so many people like his work, I guess I just never got it. I guess what I didn't like about him was the fact that I thought he was a total spaced out idiot, yet he acted like he was this great poet, such a noble being.

:cheers: to that.

TimiHendrix33
03-04-2006, 12:17 AM
[QUOTE=fenderfreak101]Honestly, i think Morrison is the most ove -writer next to Gerard Way. [QUOTE]

Off topic,but MCR doesn't write there own songs.

EDIT:I can't quote right.

sirpsycho85
03-04-2006, 02:57 AM
^who writes them?

i am not an enormous morrison lyrical fan (or ppl who share the root of his last name, i like morrissey more) but the doors are a very unique and excellent band.

TheHeartbreaker
03-04-2006, 07:12 AM
The Doors are one of my favorite bands, and while I respect Morrison as a songwriter, I try not to let his lyrics overshadow the talent of the other band members. I do listen and try and understand what, if anything, Morrison is saying, but Morrison isn't the reason I like The Doors; I like them because of everyone from the band - Jim Morrison, Robby Krieger, John Densmore, and Ray Manzarek - and what they contribute to the music they make.

Also, to stay more on topic, while I do still believe Jim is a great songwriter, I do feel as though there are better, and they have been given their respect so far in this thread, such as Bob Dylan.

KingBrendan5149
03-04-2006, 11:15 AM
The Doors are one of my favorite bands, and while I respect Morrison as a songwriter, I try not to let his lyrics overshadow the talent of the other band members. I do listen and try and understand what, if anything, Morrison is saying, but Morrison isn't the reason I like The Doors; I like them because of everyone from the band - Jim Morrison, Robby Krieger, John Densmore, and Ray Manzarek - and what they contribute to the music they make.

Also, to stay more on topic, while I do still believe Jim is a great songwriter, I do feel as though there are better, and they have been given their respect so far in this thread, such as Bob Dylan.

:cheers:

mojorisin58
03-04-2006, 02:05 PM
Personally i think Dylan is highly overrated, Zappa I think is a complete fool, and shouldn't even be put in the category as a poet, i think the reason some people dont enjoy jims writing is because they are too closed minded to understand the deeper meaning behind his words

Jarrett Moore
03-04-2006, 05:54 PM
Yeah. many people don't understand. In fact the majority doesn't.

Jarrett Moore
03-04-2006, 06:01 PM
Yeah. many people don't understand. In fact the majority doesn't.

Jarrett Moore
03-04-2006, 06:05 PM
wups

Messer
03-05-2006, 10:34 AM
^^^But when you do understand, you get the full meaning behind his lyrics and poems. I'm just glad I can understand them. But like you said a majority of the people can't understand them.

Jarrett Moore
03-05-2006, 02:45 PM
You'd be surprised how many people understand.

Messer
03-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Have you ever read his book?

Jarrett Moore
03-05-2006, 04:06 PM
i've read the poems of "An American Prayer".

Messer
03-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Did you like those?

Jarrett Moore
03-05-2006, 04:49 PM
Hell ya, I especially like The Movies.

Messer
03-05-2006, 04:53 PM
Right the f**k on man. One of my favorite, too.

What do you think about Dylan's stuff, man?

Jarrett Moore
03-05-2006, 04:56 PM
Dylan's not bad. I don't know enough of his stuff to say much but what I've heard I've liked. He would fall behind in my list of favourite musicians. He's not bad though

Messer
03-05-2006, 05:02 PM
What did you think about him lyric wis, tho?

deadhead313313
03-05-2006, 05:02 PM
Well, ok, lets get this straight. I appriciate and respect The Doors for what they;ve done. Now that thats out of the way, I'll say this: Jim was alright.

Don't get me wrong, Jim Morrison had talent, no doubt. I just think he relied alot of "chemials" to help aid some of his creativity. And some of his stuff was just a little too out there for me sometimes. I'm sure a hardcore Doors fan can prove me wrong on the chemical thing, but I don't want to get into an arguement here, and I'm just stating my opinion.

As for Dylan and Young, those guys were a little more down to earth, and I appriciate thier work far more than Morrison's

Jarrett Moore
03-05-2006, 05:07 PM
Dylan lyric wise is ok. It seems insighted. Now to the post ahead of mine. Jim did not necissarily rely on drugs for his creative mind. He did do them an aweful lot and spent most of his time before forming the doors spaced out on acid and writing poetry. Although i can't think of anything at the moment to change your mind all I can say to your statement is. not really. When in begin to think again maybe I'll write why.

Messer
03-05-2006, 05:07 PM
^^That's what a lot of people say but for some odd reason The Door's stuff just speaks to me better then theirs. Jim's poems/lyrics just relate to me better for some weird reason.

Jarrett Moore
03-05-2006, 05:13 PM
I know what you mean. his Poetry is amazing(by poetry I mean Lyrics)

Messer
03-05-2006, 05:18 PM
Yes, they are.

ZoSoII_13
03-05-2006, 07:11 PM
I personally think that Neil Young is in the same tier as Dylan and Morrison, placing ahead of Morrison and about the same as Dylan. Also, Neil is such a down to earth person, and as my friend who is related to him has stated, spending time with him, he's just an ordinary shy person who just happens to have exceptional musical talent.

Sherman901
03-05-2006, 07:36 PM
hey ok i havent found any threads really dedicated to Mojo Risin' so i thought it would be good to make a thread dedicated to Jim and all the other poets in Rock and roll History, so heres a place to just talk about jim his poetry and others like dylan, young, so forth

In my opinion, I think Morrison is a bit overrated. I can't find anything that compares to Bob Dylan's poetry and lyrical mastery in any Doors songs. To me he was just a really drunk celebrity that died early. I hate seeing shirts that say 'American Poet'. I don't understand how he gets more attention than Bob Dylan. Not alot of people have heard much Dylan in my school and it frusterates me because Dylan has really important things to say and they transcend through the generations which is amazing.

Mr. Mojo Risin
03-06-2006, 11:01 AM
I agree that Dylan is better, but Morrison is my second favorite when it comes to lyrics. My favorite lyrics are The Severed Garden. I don't understand why new bands can't write like this, most lyrics for new songs are so weak.

Messer
03-06-2006, 08:20 PM
That's true. There are some bands out there that have some decent lyrics. The Vines and Stone Sour, IMO, have some decent lyrics. But they are nowhere as near as good as Morrison's and Dylan's.

I have another question. The other day my buddy and I were talking and he was trying to make a point that Kurt Cobain's lyrics were as good, if not better then guys like Morrison and Dylan. Now I'm a big Nirvana fan and I told, no that they weren't, even though some of his stuff was pretty good. Do you guys think is stuff was anywhere compariable to the greats like these guys?

mojorisin58
03-06-2006, 09:00 PM
alright i think it was a bad idea for me to even bring up morrison and dylan in the same thread because of the fact that they are both such different styles, jim is more out there and tends to step over the bounds of reality, bob is more everyday situtations put into poetry and music, now if your going to say you havent seen any good jim stuff then you obviously have only listened to his music he is also a poet and has out two or three poetry books that is what you should read

Jarrett Moore
03-06-2006, 09:18 PM
That was a good explaination between Dylan and Morrison.

keefo
03-08-2006, 06:58 PM
The doors were a great band, better than great but I don?t see Morrison as a poet, its nonsensical drug induced rambling from what I can hear not that there is anything wrong with that, but it was the doors that were great not just Morrison

Jarrett Moore
04-04-2006, 11:27 PM
most people tend to like dylan and young more than Morrison cause they're more related to things everyone can understand. Morrison did more 'higher things' and some people can't understand them, it seems.

Darthblackwell
04-07-2006, 06:58 PM
Jim is one of the reasons I started writting as well. He was a mad genious, in my opinion.

HendrixEdge
04-07-2006, 09:05 PM
In all honesty; Morrison wasn?t that great of lyricist, nevertheless he was integral to The Doors songwriting process and as such should be given due respect.

However, the typical counter argument employed throughout this thread; that those who dislike Morrison?s lyrical meanderings do not understand his work, is complete and utter crap.

There?s little complexity to his writing, and even within the confines of contemporary music there have been many; who in my opinion, wipe the proverbial floor with him poetically.

The likes of Dylan and Springsteen are obvious candidates; with their understated eloquence and impartiality, creating pertinent and relevant odes to modern life; at times both elegant and effortless.

Conversely though; there is only one man within popular music who has been consistently comparable to the actual great poets of our age, Leonard Cohen.

In my opinion he is as much a contemporary of Heaney as he is of Reed, providing a passage from quality poetics to lyrical balladry; a passage oft left unattended; save the occasional bout of inspired writing from various individuals.

AdayTripper
04-07-2006, 10:36 PM
A true American poet, Morrison is great. A huge inspiration to me.
I love The Doors they are wonderful. :D
Nothing more to say.

RadioHead22
04-11-2006, 07:51 PM
[I]this is gonna piss you guys off....as it pissed me off......so i did a little research at my school....and i asked a bunch of ppl "do you know who Jim Morrison is?" and ..get this; only 1 PERSON KNEW!!...i am disgusted...but then again.....its cool to be unique.. thats my opinion

Jarrett Moore
04-15-2006, 02:11 AM
[QUOTE=HendrixEdge]In all honesty; Morrison wasn?t that great of lyricist, nevertheless he was integral to The Doors songwriting process and as such should be given due respect.

However, the typical counter argument employed throughout this thread; that those who dislike Morrison?s lyrical meanderings do not understand his work, is complete and utter crap.

I could almost buy that part

There?s little complexity to his writing, and even within the confines of contemporary music there have been many; who in my opinion, wipe the proverbial floor with him poetically.

The likes of Dylan and Springsteen are obvious candidates; with their understated eloquence and impartiality, creating pertinent and relevant odes to modern life; at times both elegant and effortless.

but then you say that and you're point of not understanding is blown to ****. I really don't want to get into this now, cause im kinda drunk and a little tired but man by that last remark you, uh, kinda stabbed your first statement through with a skewer.

Darthblackwell
04-15-2006, 06:31 PM
the simple lyrics are what makes the doors a great band. If you overcomplicate something so simple, it might suck.

Punk as atticus
04-15-2006, 07:38 PM
i love roger waters' poetry in his lyrics, my favorite songwrite by FAR
jim morrison's poetry is amazing too
this is the end my only friend

KingBrendan5149
04-15-2006, 09:01 PM
the reason i like Jim Morrison a lot (definitely in the top 5 for favorite lyricists) is that he THOUGHT OUTSIDE OF THE BOX. i think everyone can agree on that.

youreallygotme
04-15-2006, 10:32 PM
yo TheHeartbreaker how do i join this most awesome of religions?

Jarrett Moore
04-17-2006, 12:59 AM
the reason i like Jim Morrison a lot (definitely in the top 5 for favorite lyricists) is that he THOUGHT OUTSIDE OF THE BOX. i think everyone can agree on that.

he pretty much ripped his box to shredds

mojorisin58
04-17-2006, 01:24 PM
Springsteen? springsteen? are you f*** kidding me springsteen, jim morrison is a genious he lived and died testing the bounds of reality, and luckily for our sake he expressed what he saw through lyrics