which is better?
which is more important?
which is more difficult?
why do u think so?
which one do you play?
why does one of these instruments suck?

PICKS r4 DICKS
03-03-2006, 07:24 PM
the bass is better. they are equally important. the bass takes more talent if you play more than root note basslines. the bass takes more talent because almost every bassist combines all of their favorite styles into one style. the guitar is harder to play if your just learning, but if you start from the guitar it will be more difficult to learn. after the guitar basics are learned then theres not much more to lean exept making riffs and learning new songs. for every 7 guitarist theres probalby only 1 bassist. and talented bassist are alot harder to find. guitar sounds good even if you dont have good technique, for example, if i played A, C, G, D power chords its sound great. but A, C, G, D notes on a bass sounds boring. to make the bass sound good you need talent, which is why the bass is a harder instrument to play.

aintlifegrand
03-03-2006, 07:33 PM
^ i agree, even though i play guitar, that's exactly right, and it's so hard to find a good bassist now a days.

Killibinizik
03-03-2006, 08:28 PM
There isn't anything inferior or superior about guitar or bass guitar. Everything you are asking about applies to guitar and bass players, thus you should consider to reevaluate the title. Both instruments have their diffculties that make both challenging to play in their own way, its not the instrument to judge, its the instrumentalist.

heavymetal13
03-03-2006, 10:16 PM
I find they are both equally important... but the guitar gets more attention becauses of its hight pitche sounds and solos

The Iron Man
03-03-2006, 10:29 PM
Sometimes im in the mood for deep sounds sometimes im in the mood for high pitched squeels. Thats it.

auranos
03-03-2006, 10:48 PM
No instrument is easier than the other (no, the kazoo doesn't count). It all depends on the dedication of the musician. For example, I used to think that the oboe was the ugliest and worst instrument of all time until I heard a great jazz oboe player.

Punk Rocker
03-03-2006, 11:07 PM
They both have their hard parts to them. Of course in bass I just started and so im only playing those basic bassline ****ty things. But both are important for making music, of course you could use one without the other but its better to use them together. And even though a lot of famous people are guitarist bass still has dozens of heros, just look at gene simmons.

System of a Dog
03-04-2006, 10:35 AM
1. The guitar is better, obviously. Why? Well once you learn guitar, you can literally just play bass without needing to be taught.

2. Depends what you mean by important, but I would say the guitar. It has unlimited melodic qualities, there are no limitations to what you can play. More people play guitar than bass, and who's ever heard of a solo bassist?

3. Guitar. Anyone who learns guitar to a post grade 2-3 level will have absolutely no trouble learning how to play bass.

4. & 5. I talk from an impartial opnion as I play both.

6. I don't think either suck, allthough some people play bass because it's easy, which really annoys me. So they suck :peace:

Yertle
03-04-2006, 11:30 AM
1. The guitar is better, obviously. Why? Well once you learn guitar, you can literally just play bass without needing to be taught.

2. Depends what you mean by important, but I would say the guitar. It has unlimited melodic qualities, there are no limitations to what you can play. More people play guitar than bass, and who's ever heard of a solo bassist?

3. Guitar. Anyone who learns guitar to a post grade 2-3 level will have absolutely no trouble learning how to play bass.

6. I don't think either suck, allthough some people play bass because it's easy, which really annoys me. So they suck :peace:

Ignorant moron. There are tons of solo bassists. Victor Wooten, Jaco Pastorius, Stanley Clark, all extremley accomplished musicians with vast knowledge of theory and experience. Bass is just as capable of carrying a melody as a guitar. Bass is not an easy instrument. It is only as easy as you make it. If you only play simple classic rock lines or stick to the root note, yea, you can pick it up from guitar. But that does nothing to prepare you for any level of skilled playing. Thicker, heavier strings make any type of speed you had on guitar untransferable, and you need much more finger strenght to tap.

I don't think either instrument is better or more important, I just want to make sure all sides of the argument are present and it isn't dominated by biased fools.

I hate these threads anyway, hardly anyone ahs any valid point, and they all end up being "Guitar is better as bass is easy".

Farewell.

auranos
03-04-2006, 11:51 AM
Bass is just as capable of carrying a melody as a guitar.

I believe it was Duke Ellington and Jimmie Blanton who popularized the use of the bass for the melody in "Pitter Panther Patter" (smithsonianjazz.org). I play guitar, and while guitar is used for melody more often than bass, both can be melodic instruments. Guitar > Bass for chords though :D

pukeboy66
03-04-2006, 12:08 PM

jesus christ you're a moron

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1158095372160188114&q=stu+hamm

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1378150752230253005&q=victor+wooten

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1234513755225657627&q=flea+jam

have fun kid

System of a Dog
03-04-2006, 12:45 PM
Don't get all haughty... what I meant was there are more solo guitarists than bassists... succesful ones anyway.

I resent the fact you're calling me a moron, people. Seriously, I might be "dissing your trade" here, but get over yourselves.

EDIT: Stu Hamm? Best bass player ever? Haha.

And yes I know who flea is thank you.

seljer
03-04-2006, 01:01 PM

He went to Berklee College of Music and played with Steve Vai in various bands (as well as with Frank Gamabale and Joe Satriani)

he is a very proficient bassist

red star
03-04-2006, 02:54 PM
Don't get all haughty... what I meant was there are more solo guitarists than bassists... succesful ones anyway.

I resent the fact you're calling me a moron, people. Seriously, I might be "dissing your trade" here, but get over yourselves.

Go shove your guitar neck up ur ass. You can't automatically be a good bass player just by learning how to play guitar. There are different techniques to play bass. ANother thing, you obviously dont listen to funk and ska. They have good basslines. Your probably just a beginner guitar noob in a band with a guitar dropout that plays bass because he thinks its easier. You can have a bass solo, its just that rock groups have guitar solos because they're bassists sometimes aren't very talented and guitar solos are sometimes more appealing to the hear. Also the stereotypical part of the bass in a rock band is to provide rythm and melody along with the drums so that the guitars dont sound bland. This is the pattern that most groups follow which is why many rock bands don't have bass solos. Guitar and Bass are equally important if you can play them right.

Now go change your title to UG's Ignorant Ass Turkey

kirbyrocknroll
03-04-2006, 09:09 PM
Any instrument is as hard as you make it. Heck, Rhythm sticks can be harder than bass and guitar if you can make it.:peace:

Yertle
03-04-2006, 10:44 PM

"Who's ever heard of a solo bassist". To me, and many others, that sounds like "There are no solo bassists", not "I admit there are solo bassists, but there are more sucessful solo guitarists".

I resent the fact you spew out insults to a particular instrument without backing up your points.

You find guitar harder because you play it more and try new things on it. I guarentee you've learned a few simple basslines, decided it was easy, and called it a day.

BAcONMaN
03-05-2006, 01:36 AM
which is better? I depens on your playing skills.
which is more important? Bass, they are the back bone of a band how ever you cant do solos wher on a guitar you can, and chicks dig guitar players.
which is more difficult? Hands down guitar.
why do u think so? Because solos take alot of work. You play whole chords. stuff like that.
which one do you play? Guitar.
why does one of these instruments suck? Neither do thats a stupid question.

-Garrison :)

Striketalonx
03-05-2006, 02:03 AM
lol.
GOD
I have been playing guitar for since i was 9..
now you guys make me want to buy a bass.
This just makes me want a double neck guitar/bass fusion.
where one neck is a six string bass and the other is a guitar.
of course i believe the importance of the instruments depends on the genre,
metal for example, wouldnt be half the beast it is if there were no gutairs,
but jazz, blues, etc wouldnt be nearly as good if there was no bass.
i think bass and gutiar really complete each other, and only then
are they utilized to the fullest

Yertle
03-05-2006, 09:33 AM
Just to throw something out there - bass is an instrument used in every genre of music. Guitar is not.

This doesn't make bass any better, but it is just as important.

fleabass
03-05-2006, 10:52 AM
which is better?they are both different, there is no "better"
which is more important?bass
which is more difficult?bass
why do u think so?i play both, and bass if played at a high level incorporates slapping popping and two hand tapping.2 hand tapping on guitar is bloody easy compared to bass
which one do you play?both
why does one of these instruments suck?who said they did

imalwaysbanned
03-05-2006, 11:25 AM
hi
http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/6632/bassguitar7se.gif i think this proovs that guitar is btetter
bye.

seljer
03-05-2006, 11:45 AM
I see this thread is filled with many smartass guitarists

Each instrument is just as good as the other.

Everyone and their mother plays guitar

A Subtle Dagger
03-05-2006, 01:12 PM

First off: Not true. At the very least, it goes both ways. I've played bass for 2 years, and in October started playing guitar with no lessons needed.

2. Solo bassists are EXTREMELY common, and don't ever say that bass can't be melodic.

3. Like I said before, it can easily go both ways.

Bass and guitar can both be as hard as you make them. Neither is easier, neither is harder. It's as simple as that.

A Subtle Dagger
03-05-2006, 01:13 PM
hi
http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/6632/bassguitar7se.gif i think this proovs that guitar is btetter
bye.

Or it just proves that you're wicked ignorant. :rolleyes:

fleabass
03-05-2006, 01:57 PM
yes because the amount of people looking on a forum clearly dictates which is better.each instrument is as bad or as good as you make it

Lee.S07
03-05-2006, 02:22 PM
well, i agree with most people, they are equally as important, BUT, I would take the bass side as oh my dear god, my fingers did hurt when i started, never got a problem with a guitar, so, the bass bullied me into picking it , i think if you pick a bass, you have to be prepared for pain, so you have to percivere, and therefore, i personally found it harder.

(and im not a big girl who thought of packing it in just because i got sore fingers incase anyone thought that.!)

Captain Chaos
03-05-2006, 03:44 PM
yes because the amount of people looking on a forum clearly dictates which is better.each instrument is as bad or as good as you make it

No it doesn't, maybe you were trying to say which one is more popular you fool.

People download these songs and educate yourselves.

Dream Theater - Flight Of The Bumblebee

David Lee Roth - Elephant Gun

Iron Maiden - Genghis Kahn

Iron Maiden - Charlotte The Harlot

Mr.Big - Addicted To That Rush

Metallica - Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth)

AND SOME MOD CLOSE THIS THREAD

seljer
03-05-2006, 03:55 PM
No it doesn't, maybe you were trying to say which one is more popular you fool.

I think he was being sarcastic ;)

kirbyrocknroll
03-05-2006, 04:13 PM

Umm...no. What about slapping and popping?

And let's not turn this into a flame fest:peace:

Wanttobebetter
03-05-2006, 04:21 PM
Or it just proves that you're wicked ignorant.

Exactly what I was thinking. Just because theres more posts on guitar forum doesnt make it better. Theres WAY MORE guitarists out there compared to bassists. On top of that, very few guitarists are actually good. Same with bassists, but not so many posers.

I've been playing bass for a short amount of time and I completely love it compared to the guitar. So much effort is needed to play the bass, especially when you've got fairyly small fingers like me :(.

So, instead of posting right away completing the only task of being an idiot, think about what you want to say, and then just dont say it at all :)

PICKS r4 DICKS
03-19-2006, 07:22 PM
which is better? I depens on your playing skills.
which is more important? Bass, they are the back bone of a band how ever you cant do solos wher on a guitar you can, and chicks dig guitar players.
which is more difficult? Hands down guitar.
why do u think so? Because solos take alot of work. You play whole chords. stuff like that.
which one do you play? Guitar.
why does one of these instruments suck? Neither do thats a stupid question.

-Garrison :)

wow i think i like that guy.
except guitar isnt harder. i wanna know how many people can even play using the same style as victor wooten. hes simply amazing.

PICKS r4 DICKS
03-19-2006, 07:28 PM
hi
bye.

i think this "proovs" why that jackass is always banned.

just cause more people like AC/DC doesnt make then more musicly talented than led zepelin. cause acdc would be **** without angus. but if u take out a member of led zeppelin they suck... and that is a proven theory

JET116
03-19-2006, 09:11 PM
yeah this all comes down to the artist. its not that one of the other is particularly harder and whoever plays that one instrument has to overcome more to play well. its all in the artist

k3vin70
03-05-2009, 04:31 PM
guitar is like 20x's harder
i have a rouge 5 string for a bass
wich i know sucks but still guitar
a lot more complex more strings more varitey
more varitey more hard
guitars are better
espically jackson king v's (****in dope!!!)

satcre3
03-05-2009, 11:44 PM
both are awsome and fun to play
anyone who badmouths any of them
i give them a firm hard slap in the face!

technical death
03-05-2009, 11:47 PM
which is better?
which is more important?
which is more difficult?
why do u think so?
which one do you play?

-Guitar is better imo
-Both are equally important, but without guitar the song would sound like ****
-Bass because when you practice its like playing drums. You have to have the song backing or else its just bang-bang-bang-bang lol
-look up ^
-I play guitar
-neither suck. Only the people who can't play them right suck :P

satcre3
03-05-2009, 11:49 PM
haha there are songs where bass is the lead and the guitar is just some crappy powerchord played over and over
eg brand new

technical death
03-05-2009, 11:50 PM
lolol that's cool

bass sounds cool though. listen to necrophagist's Only Ash Remains. The intro is played by the bass.

bender424
03-06-2009, 12:56 AM
guitar and bass are musical instrument
they are all DIFFERENT
they can't be better or worst
it's only how they are played that mather
exemple : I play guitar correctly, then grab the bass of my friend and play a whole song, just like that, then my other friend start to say : ''look bass suck and guitar rule'',
if I could have slap him ... the song was smells like teen spirit, I mean, c'mon
any bassist or guitarist can play this song on bass without pratice
it's not because I need to pratice hard to play solo on guitar and that I can play an easy bass line the first time I touch a bass that bass suck, it's only mean that this bass line was really easy , people tend to think that because most of the song have easy bass line, bass suck
how false it is ! listen to Victor
there you go

millerdrr
03-06-2009, 06:24 AM
I love both. Played well, both are a crucial part of the band, genre dependent of course.

That said...........................

A guitarist screws up on stage. Most of the audience doesn't notice. The bass player screws up, and fifty thousand tapping feet know instantly. :shrug:

Johnny_Ibanez
03-06-2009, 07:20 AM
guitar and bass are musical instrument
they are all DIFFERENT
they can't be better or worst
it's only how they are played that mather
exemple : I play guitar correctly, then grab the bass of my friend and play a whole song, just like that, then my other friend start to say : ''look bass suck and guitar rule'',
if I could have slap him ... the song was smells like teen spirit, I mean, c'mon
any bassist or guitarist can play this song on bass without pratice
it's not because I need to pratice hard to play solo on guitar and that I can play an easy bass line the first time I touch a bass that bass suck, it's only mean that this bass line was really easy , people tend to think that because most of the song have easy bass line, bass suck
how false it is ! listen to Victor
there you go

Is it just me who couldn't help reading this with an imaginary Borat accent? [/racist]

leephan
03-06-2009, 09:07 AM
It all comes down to what style you play.

steven seagull
03-06-2009, 09:59 AM
guitar is like 20x's harder
i have a rouge 5 string for a bass
wich i know sucks but still guitar
a lot more complex more strings more varitey
more varitey more hard
guitars are better
espically jackson king v's (****in dope!!!)
Why did you bump a retarded 3 year old thread?

ChemicalFire
03-06-2009, 10:01 AM

With a super arrogant and uninformed answer at that.

l3vity
03-06-2009, 10:15 AM
which is better?
It depends on the type of music, generally I prefer guitar as melodic rock is more of my style, but chilling out to some jazz/blues is also good.

which is more important?
Once again, depends on the genre. Bass in a metal band playing roots is just to pad out the sound of the guitar, but in a jazz band, its the key instrument (though i much prefer double bass).
which is more difficult?
Depends how you play each. I'd say that guitar is harder to fret (chords etc) whilst bass is harder to pluck (slap bass etc). If you used a gitar for power chords and a bass for the melody, bass is way harder, but its true the other way too.
which one do you play? I play guitar mostly. I can only fit one in my room at uni and decided to take my guitar, though im desperate to buy an acoustic lol
I'd say its not the instrument, but the players which suck, but bass. Simply because of the 'drones' who settle with playing bass notes rather than expressing creativity.

Johnny_Ibanez
03-06-2009, 10:43 AM

Heh I didn't even spot that! I guess if someone tries opening a new thread, some a-hole comes up with "SEARCHBAR TOOL, TOOL." Sometimes you can't do right for doing wrong.

Gr33n
03-08-2009, 05:31 AM
I find bass harder than guitar eg: when I come around is alot harder to play on bass than it is on guitar.

SoreFingers3799
12-28-2013, 06:10 PM
It honestly depends on how much your willing to learn. I mean, almost anyone could play a G chord on the guitar, but only the dedicated ones could play something like stairway to heaven. And for bass? Sure, it's easy if your just playing the root notes, but if you really want to call yourself a bassist then find some more challenging bass lines.

Sources: played guitar since grade 4 and bass since grade 6. (Seriously, my grade seven band class had better baselines then some of the songs today!)

IgnoreThis
12-28-2013, 06:37 PM
http://i.imgur.com/4Zeah.jpg

steven seagull
12-29-2013, 04:40 AM
Why has this been bumped again?

More to the point, why was it even allowed to exist in the first place?

Oh well I'm a mod now so I can lock it :)