PDA

View Full Version : Feedback: Hollowbody Remedies

SuperAnalytical
03-03-2006, 09:41 PM
Hello accessorizing UGers. :)

I have an Ibanez AFS75 (full) hollow body guitar. I have never experienced issues with turning on my distortion pedal on and getting any type of feedback. But just recently (rather, today) I got this feedback. It not only creates unwanted excess noise when playing, but when I'm not, it makes the strings rattle (particularly the low E and B strings).

I know I can use foam to stop squealing feedback, but could I also be able to use this same remedy to stop the type of feedback I described?

Also, I have EQ'd it many times and it still does this no matter what settings. I attempt to match similar levels of volume, mids, treble, highs, and bass on my amp and pedal but yet I still get the feedback.

Any help is appreciated!

EDIT: I troubleshooted each of my cables just now. My god damn Monster Cable crapped out on me. Looks like I'll have to get a new cable.

I would still like suggestions for cutting out feedback with the hollow body and all. Just making sure that foam isn't my only option.

utsapp89
03-03-2006, 10:27 PM
Stuff a t-shirt or a newspaper in there.

SuperAnalytical
03-03-2006, 11:01 PM
Aha. Creative. Thanks (like usual, it seems) utsapp!

Erock503
03-03-2006, 11:18 PM
how are the stock pickups on that guitar? I know most other Ibanez take very nicely to a pup change.

jammin
03-03-2006, 11:25 PM
Is it a buzzing sound? You described it as not being a squealing sound, so it may be a grounding issue.

SuperAnalytical
03-03-2006, 11:47 PM
It would be quite a predicament if it were a grounding issue. Since there is no control cavity and you'd have to desolder from the outside in.

As I edited, it's most likely coming from the cable that got the noise. 2 of them work fine with it, but when the other is mixed in, it creates the noise.

SuperAnalytical
03-03-2006, 11:49 PM
how are the stock pickups on that guitar? I know most other Ibanez take very nicely to a pup change.

All I know is that they're ACH-1 and 2. It would be difficult for a pickup change due to it's construction.

Erock503
03-04-2006, 12:09 AM
yes, I see what you're talking about, no control cavity. I never really hear about anyone changing the pups on the hollowbodys.

I wonder if you could cut the wires at the pups, so it would leave a hot and ground. That's if you didn't care about the stock pups of course. It would give you a hot and ground, so you could just solder the coil split wires together for any 4 wire conductor pups you wanted to add. Have you seen if there is any extra or slack lead wire for the stock pups, where you could pull them out a little?

utsapp89
03-04-2006, 01:01 AM
The best way to wire a hollowbody is to try to do as much as you can with the parts not mounted in the guitar i.e. making all of the connections between the pots/switch/jack before mounting them, then wiring in pickups. It is a bitch, though.

Erock503
03-04-2006, 01:31 AM
Yeah, you're right. I wouldn't want to mess something up on a nice guitar like that. Wouldn't be worth the agrivation trying to work without a control cavity. Let go of one wire, and bye bye, into the hollowbody. Yucko. :(

utsapp89
03-04-2006, 08:09 AM
Yeah, I'd just as soon pay 40 bucks for a guy at a shop to do it. I'd probably end up smashing it over my work table after about an hour.

SuperAnalytical
03-04-2006, 04:23 PM
yes, I see what you're talking about, no control cavity. I never really hear about anyone changing the pups on the hollowbodys.

I wonder if you could cut the wires at the pups, so it would leave a hot and ground. That's if you didn't care about the stock pups of course. It would give you a hot and ground, so you could just solder the coil split wires together for any 4 wire conductor pups you wanted to add. Have you seen if there is any extra or slack lead wire for the stock pups, where you could pull them out a little?

Yeah, I won't go for a pickup swap any time soon, I like the sound. You could also cut the wire at the pickup just enough to be able to strip it then resolder it to another wire to go onto a new pot though.

fronkpies
03-04-2006, 06:24 PM
i have a semi and it can suffer from feedback.

BB king i belive used a towel stuffed down there

JJBrad2323
03-05-2006, 02:30 AM
I have an Ibanez AFS75T and can suffer from some terrible feedback, so much so that im considering selling it. I don't want to stuff anything in the holes because that defeats the purpose of the hollowbody. Damn feedback.

I may just go for a Les Paul.

MastaBassist10
03-05-2006, 02:59 AM
i have a semi and it can suffer from feedback.

BB king i belive used a towel stuffed down there
Lucille dosn't have sound holes
http://www.musicalnet.com.tw/images/gibson/b.b.%20king%20'lucille'.jpg

fronkpies
03-05-2006, 06:08 AM
Lucille dosn't have sound holes
http://www.musicalnet.com.tw/images/gibson/b.b.%20king%20'lucille'.jpg

ahh it must of been john lee hooker (or one of the old blues men :D )

SuperAnalytical
03-05-2006, 11:10 AM
Either that or BB King used a towel in an ES-335 (or similar) which was the basis for Lucille.

And I just broke another high E string. I think I may have a sharp saddle.....

MastaBassist10
03-05-2006, 12:43 PM
^Haha, random.

evilfretmelter
03-05-2006, 12:50 PM
I read in Guitarist that George Benson uses clear parcel tape on his Ibanez to cover the sound holes when he has feedback issues. Worth a go?

utsapp89
03-05-2006, 01:20 PM
I don't see how covering f-holes would do much.

SuperAnalytical
03-05-2006, 07:08 PM
Update on E-string breakage: I have broken 3 E-strings in 2 days. I now have a B string in place.

Only this time, it broke near the nut. :eek: WTF IS UP WITH THIS GUITAR!?!? :wtf:

utsapp89
03-05-2006, 07:41 PM
^File everything.

SuperAnalytical
03-05-2006, 08:00 PM
^I'm taking it tomorrow to have it set-up and filed if it needs it.

My mom already bitched at me for continuously changing strings, so she's not trusting me in filing anything down...

Weez
03-05-2006, 08:13 PM
well...A. Monster cables have a lifetime guarantee. Bring them to guitar center with no reciept theyll give you a brand new one.

B. Have you tried simply facing a different direction? usually is you point hte amp at your back...youll reduce feedback a ton.

SuperAnalytical
03-05-2006, 08:59 PM
^I figured out it's just what I do with my amp and pedal. It's something weird but I know how to get rid of it.

And the feedback, I don't get it, but just for the future.

utsapp89
03-05-2006, 09:09 PM
I personally find some feedback sexy. But usually stuffing a shirt in there will rid you of most problems. I've seen 'feedback busters' for use with acoustic electrics, I wonder if they would be effective with a hollow-bodied electric?

SuperAnalytical
03-07-2006, 03:58 PM
If anyone else could please assist me, it would be greatly appreciated. I got some foam from my dad's work today, but I'm not sure it will do what I want it to do. It's sound proofing "single-plane" (aka flat) foam. I was expecting the the cone one (aka to my dad, conveluted). Any ideas of how I'm supposed to put it in the soundholes, vertically or horizontally, rolled or unrolled?

utsapp89
03-07-2006, 05:09 PM
I'd try to get it as close to the center of the guitar as possible, centered under the bridge and pickups like the block of wood in semis.

SuperAnalytical
03-07-2006, 05:17 PM
It's doubtful that would be fully possible to get out once I put it in.

Steph Bets
03-07-2006, 05:28 PM
acoustics use rubber circular mat type things in the soundhoel to stop feedback, maybe you could make some for the f holes? or stick the foam in but so you can get it out tie some string to it and tape it just under the f hol so you can reach in and pull it out, but it doesnt look ugly.

just a suggestion. nice guitar btw. theyre way cool.

utsapp89
03-07-2006, 05:45 PM
It's doubtful that would be fully possible to get out once I put it in.
If it can go in, it can come out. Even if you have to end up pulling it out bit by bit and cutting it, if it'll fit inside an F-hole, it should be flexible enough to come right back out. Just experiement, though. Try it right underneath the holes and see what difference that makes.