headstock overlay

PDA

View Full Version : headstock overlay

xrawrockkillsx
03-04-2006, 10:05 PM
how do i install a headstock overlay?

Will_Minus
03-04-2006, 10:47 PM
Overlay? Do you mean a vaneer (thin peice of wood), or a decal(logo, model name)?

xrawrockkillsx
03-04-2006, 11:22 PM
im pretty sure its that thin peice of wood.

EDIT: i just searched it up on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Vintage-headstock-overlay-Les-Paul_W0QQitemZ7395827278QQcategoryZ47072QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thats what it is.
do you know how i put one on?

kaplac
03-05-2006, 12:34 AM
Looks like you woudl jsut glue it on, and spray over it with some layers of clear.

xrawrockkillsx
03-05-2006, 12:36 AM
but wouldnt you be able to tell from the side?

dave293
03-05-2006, 03:23 AM
Not really i would just look like a headstock with binding.

That_Pink_Queen
03-05-2006, 03:37 AM
You may have to saw out your current guitar headstock too.

Plus fake Gibsons are just retarded. No shame in having a copy.

AlGeeEater
03-05-2006, 10:33 AM
Glue...clamps...time.

And you're not going to fool anybody by trying to trick people into thinking you have a Gibson when you've got an Epiphone, or ****ty Agile.

xrawrockkillsx
03-05-2006, 02:21 PM
Glue...clamps...time.

And you're not going to fool anybody by trying to trick people into thinking you have a Gibson when you've got an Epiphone, or ****ty Agile.

my friend had a squier and he wanted to know if it was possible to get a fender one on. so calm the **** down.

kaplac
03-05-2006, 02:25 PM
He could just sand off the squier decal, and put a fender decal on it, They should be loads cheaper.

imbackagain2
03-05-2006, 04:58 PM
decals are 20bucks canadian

dave293
03-06-2006, 04:20 AM
my friend had a squier and he wanted to know if it was possible to get a fender one on. so calm the **** down.

For a fender style one you would need to sand the decal off, stick a new one on and spray a few coats of laquer.

It's totally different to putting on the one you posted. Don't be an ass to people trying to help.

Side note: Those overlays wouldn't fit on a epiphone as they have different shaped headstocks.

imbackagain2
03-06-2006, 08:20 AM
^thats good to know. You can buy decals that look like gibson as well.

Fast_Bear
03-06-2006, 09:32 AM
1st thing, inlays are the mother-ofpearl things in the headstock that look like Fret Markers, but in kickass designs, like a red Mother of Pearl flame thing. Logos re nifty words and shapes that are either painted or glued on.

I once saw this cool bit on Project Guitar about logos(Cant find the link, anyone help me?), basically you print the colored lineart of your logo (at a print shop with a high quality printer) backwards on a transpartent sheet. Color it in extremely carefully. Than glue it in right side up (so the ink is on the inside) and put finish on it.

lookie here
03-06-2006, 04:21 PM
1st thing, inlays are the mother-ofpearl things in the headstock that look like Fret Markers, but in kickass designs, like a red Mother of Pearl flame thing. Logos re nifty words and shapes that are either painted or glued on.

I once saw this cool bit on Project Guitar about logos(Cant find the link, anyone help me?), basically you print the colored lineart of your logo (at a print shop with a high quality printer) backwards on a transpartent sheet. Color it in extremely carefully. Than glue it in right side up (so the ink is on the inside) and put finish on it.What this?
http://projectguitar.com/tut/logo.htm

That_Pink_Queen
03-06-2006, 06:32 PM
^The logo can be inlayed, bear boy.

Fast_Bear
03-07-2006, 10:20 AM
^The logo can be inlayed, bear boy.
I know, infact it does look quite cool I can imagie, but I mean unless you have mastered the fine art of the mighty Dremel, than it would take a VERY long time, and LOTS of money...

What this?
http://projectguitar.com/tut/logo.htm
Tankyou! Exactly what I was lookin for!