Concept Albums

PDA

View Full Version : Concept Albums

joshsirjoshules
03-05-2006, 07:34 PM
Could someone list me some concept albums? I only know of Tommy, Pet Sounds, and Sgt. Peppers.

Still Life
03-05-2006, 07:36 PM
The Wall is a good one, as are some other Floyd ones (which I believe, are not as obvious).

I had a name of some other one, but it escapes me...

ZoSoII_13
03-05-2006, 07:40 PM
Quadrophenia- The Who
Tumbleweed Connection- Elton John (amazing album)
Captain Fantastic- Elton John
Dark SideOf The Moon-Pink FLoyd
The Who Sell Out is a broken concept album, but its still reasonably cohesive
Argus- Wishbone Ash

Still Life
03-05-2006, 07:43 PM
Oh, I remmeber it now. Bowie's "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars"

That one is also quite good.

Zoso68
03-05-2006, 07:57 PM
animals-pink floyd

deadhead313313
03-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Dark Side of The Moon is my personal favourite

Sherman901
03-05-2006, 08:07 PM
Frank Zappa - "We're Only In It For The Money"

I'm not suggesting it. You just asked for concept albums. I can't stand that album, it's pure garbage to me. It has pretty much no music. It's just a bunch of ****ed up sounds and stupid, pointless, immature lyrics.

deadhead313313
03-05-2006, 08:09 PM
Oh, forgot Joes Garage by Frank Zappa. Also a good Zappa concept album

Maet
03-05-2006, 08:53 PM
Neil Young - Greendale

A recent album which is fairly raw if you're into that sort of thing.

slinks
03-05-2006, 08:58 PM
Van Morrison Astral Weeks

Black Star
03-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd

Also, some people consider Aqualung by Jethro Tull to be a concept album.

trey-col89
03-05-2006, 10:14 PM
Are you looking for a concept album or a rock opera? The two are different, but people always confuse the two.

Still Life
03-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Are you looking for a concept album or a rock opera? The two are different, but people always confuse the two.
What's the difference?

Tommy is considered a rock opera isn't it?

trey-col89
03-05-2006, 10:16 PM
A rock opera, like Tommy or The Wall is a story.... like a movie or a book, in the form of songs. Its a continuing story. A concept album, like Darkside of the Moon is a bunch of songs that all relate to a common theme, but don't flow as a story.

Still Life
03-05-2006, 10:19 PM
A rock opera, like Tommy or The Wall is a story.... like a movie or a book, in the form of songs. Its a continuing story. A concept album, like Darkside of the Moon is a bunch of songs that all relate to a common theme, but don't flow as a story.
Oh, well then there are quite a few albums that can be considered a "concept album"

Rock1986
03-05-2006, 11:58 PM
Pink Floyd- Animals

FireMoon
03-06-2006, 09:35 AM
Home ... The Alchemist... Nektar ... Journey to the centre of the eye and... Remember the future ... Horslips ... The Tain.. and .. The book of invasions. .... Gong ... The flying teapot trilogy...

DieN
03-06-2006, 09:39 AM
David Bowie: Ziggy Stardust (great album in general)
David Bowie: Diamond Dogs: a really "dark" concept-album
The Who Quadrophenia

Thokk
03-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Thick As a Brick by Tull is a great one. so is The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway by Genesis

psychodelia
03-06-2006, 03:15 PM
A lot of good ones have already been listed. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway by Genesis is alright, not their best work though imo, Genesis was more adept at the Green Day length concept song kind of thing, only they have a lot of extended songs that are like that from previous albums.

DownDark
03-06-2006, 03:58 PM
Tommy - The Who
Quadrophenia - The Who
A Quick One - The Who
Who's Next - The Who
The Wall - Pink Floyd
Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd
Animals - Pink Floyd
Queen II - Queen
2112 - Rush

Maet
03-06-2006, 05:05 PM

Not really. A concept album is an umbrella term. A rock opera is a subdivision. It's kind of like how there's rock in general, and then you can subdivide it into classic, modern, punk etc.

But that's just the way I see it. But I think we can agree that a rock opera is a concept album or 'type' of concept album, but a concept album is not necessarily a rock opera.

deadhead313313
03-06-2006, 06:33 PM
A rock opera or rock musical is a musical production in the form of an opera or a musical in a modern rock and roll style rather than more traditional forms. It differs from conventional rock and roll music, which is often a song that is unlinked in plot or story with other songs, but overlaps considerably with concept albums and song cycles.

A concept album is an album which is pre-planned (conceived), most often with all songs contributing to a single overall theme or unified story, this plan or story being the concept. This is in contrast to the standard practice of an artist or group releasing an album consisting of a number of unconnected songs that the members of the group or the artist have written, or have chosen to perform or cover.

ollerom_mot
03-06-2006, 06:43 PM
How about a lesser known one...
Thin Lizzy's Jailbreak, which although most take as just a brilliant album in itself, did have an underlying theme.
I'm not sure, but was the Court of the Crimson King by King Crimson a concept album?

(and although not classic rock, and in many ways unrelated, Clutch's Blast Tyrant is one of my fave concept albums, if for the songs and not as a concept album)

DownDark
03-06-2006, 06:46 PM
I heard that Synchronicity by The Police is a concept album... yes, I think I can see that now.

JethroTullfan72
03-06-2006, 10:05 PM
Quadrophenia- The Who
Tumbleweed Connection- Elton John (amazing album)
Captain Fantastic- Elton John
Dark SideOf The Moon-Pink FLoyd
The Who Sell Out is a broken concept album, but its still reasonably cohesive
Argus- Wishbone Ash

wow i thought i was the only one who posted about Elton John here. He deserves alot more recognition in this forum. Great choices of albums. And i agree with you that Tumbleweed Connection is an amzing album. (as well as Captain Fantastic)
My Choices:
Captain Fantastic-Elton John
Tumbleweed Connection-Elton John
Ziggy Stardust-David Bowie
Dark Side of the Moon-Pink Floyd
Aqualung-Jethro Tull
Thick as a Brick-Jethro Tull

DownDark
03-06-2006, 10:11 PM
oh ya and The Final Cut by Pink Floyd

BlueOyster23
03-07-2006, 06:48 PM
Paradise Theater-Styx(Their best album)

ZoSoII_13
03-07-2006, 09:05 PM
i personally think that most of Elton John's works in general were conceptual. He and Taupin seemed to have a specific sound for each album.

Punk Poser
03-07-2006, 09:20 PM
The Kinks had a few concept albums but the only one I can remember is Arthur (Or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire).
And on a side note Aqualung isn't a concept album. Ian Anderson even said himself that it was not a concept album.

trey-col89
03-07-2006, 10:26 PM
Not really. A concept album is an umbrella term. A rock opera is a subdivision. It's kind of like how there's rock in general, and then you can subdivide it into classic, modern, punk etc.

But that's just the way I see it. But I think we can agree that a rock opera is a concept album or 'type' of concept album, but a concept album is not necessarily a rock opera.
Sure a rock opera is a TYPE of concept album, but its not the same thing. I'm pretty sure the way which I defined both terms were correct.

DownDark
03-08-2006, 12:17 PM
I know thEy're not Classic Rock but American Idiot, OK Computer, and Kid A

btw, doesn't anyone notice a certain similarity between Meatloaf's "All Revved Up With No Place To Go" and Green Day's "Jesus Of Suburbia"? Listen to "All Revved Up..." at around 3:36, then listen to "Jesus Of Suburbia" at around 6:30 and tell me if you notice the similarity...

Hanzi_G
03-08-2006, 12:50 PM

But concept albums can tell a story, but the story is usually loosely narrated. Like the Mars Volta's De-Loused in the Comatorium (i know its not CR, but I cant think of any other examples)

VoodooChild15
03-08-2006, 05:12 PM
Check out Arthur (or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire) by The Kinks. It's excellent.

thecool
03-10-2006, 12:13 AM
The Elder - Kiss (dreadfully underrated)

ghettohippygrrl
03-10-2006, 06:42 AM
Wy didn't Phish to a concept album? They should've and I bet they could've. Unless you want to argue that they already have and the concept was being on drugs. :p:

deadhead313313
03-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Wy didn't Phish to a concept album? They should've and I bet they could've. Unless you want to argue that they already have and the concept was being on drugs. :p:
Well, yeah, stick to Classic Rock please.

ghettohippygrrl
03-10-2006, 03:53 PM
^ Phish's music dates back to the 80s and is rock -- there isn't a jam band forum and classic rock is the next closest forum that would fit them. So, well, yeah, stop being annoying, please.

Wankmasterwak
03-11-2006, 11:16 AM
S.F. Sorrow by the Pretty Things is considered the first full length rock opera. Kilroy was here by Styx even if the album sucks.

Gabuydachk
03-11-2006, 12:24 PM
concept albums are more prevalent in prog rock/metal

deadhead313313
03-11-2006, 10:35 PM
^ Phish's music dates back to the 80s and is rock -- there isn't a jam band forum and classic rock is the next closest forum that would fit them. So, well, yeah, stop being annoying, please.
Well, if I'm not mistaken, the Classic Rock forum accepts bands that made their first album by 1984/85 (at least, thats what I've heard mods warn people about). Phish's first album came out in 1986. Phish threads have not been accpeted around here, and are always closed. So, please, put Phish in another forum. Or talk to a mod and then I'll shut up.

trey-col89
03-11-2006, 11:17 PM
Trey wrote a rock opera for his senior thesis called The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday... its actually a really cool story and includes songs such as AC/DC Bag, Colonel Forbin's Ascent -> Fly Famous Mockingbird, Sloth, Possum, Wilson, and a few others. It was never actually made into an album and was performed in its entirety only 4 times throughout their 20 something year history...... yeah I'm a Phish-nerd :p:

TheGuitarBoy
03-12-2006, 12:25 AM
^ whatever Trey....

trey-col89
03-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Huh?

TheGuitarBoy
03-12-2006, 04:02 PM
^ what do you mean "huh"?

trey-col89
03-12-2006, 06:00 PM
After I responded to someone, you said "whatever Trey".... I wasn't even talking to you... I'm a bit confused.

Master Shake
03-12-2006, 06:11 PM
What about 'Jeff Waynes Musical Version of War of The Worlds' (if you consider that to be rock, it's more ochestral but it does have an electric guitar)

I Want Pussy
03-16-2006, 01:38 PM
After I responded to someone, you said "whatever Trey".... I wasn't even talking to you... I'm a bit confused.

are you on crack or something?

eckmann88
05-13-2006, 10:26 PM

Also, some people consider Aqualung by Jethro Tull to be a concept album.
aqualung is definitely a concept album...

RHCPhysco8
05-13-2006, 10:36 PM
anything by floyd or the who

Sherman901
05-13-2006, 11:08 PM
Well, if I'm not mistaken, the Classic Rock forum accepts bands that made their first album by 1984/85 (at least, thats what I've heard mods warn people about). Phish's first album came out in 1986. Phish threads have not been accpeted around here, and are always closed. So, please, put Phish in another forum. Or talk to a mod and then I'll shut up.

Christ almighty, does the classic rock only accept bands that made their first album by January 22nd of 1985?

Stop being so damn picky. It's annoying.