Good Sounding Chords

PDA

View Full Version : Good Sounding Chords

PsycicPillow
03-06-2006, 07:25 PM
I've been playing guitar for about a year and I'm not the best. I mainly like to strum chords and make it look like I know what I'm doing :p:

I've been having problems coming up with good chords to use for "new" style music. I cannot make them sound full when I only use 3 or 4 strings. Should I use alternate tunings? It almost seems like using alternate tunings is "cheating" in the guitar world so I'm pressured not to touch my pegs.

I have looked online and found multitudes of sites full of chords but they stick you with awkward chords that are hardly used along with the most basic ones used... Em E7 A Am C G G7 D etc...

I'm just looking for something that sounds full that I can use just for strumming along. Maybe a good sequence or two...

ckellingc
03-06-2006, 07:29 PM
a full G sounds good in my opinion

G D B C

schitz
03-06-2006, 07:55 PM
I vi ii V-- something like C, Am, Dm, G works nicely. You can play all of those chords with only four or five strings (A cheat way to play G, is hold the 3rd fret on the high E string, and strum the D,G,B, and (high) E string). Nice simple chord progression.

one trick pony
03-07-2006, 12:26 PM
Learn some of the basic slash chords if you don't already. For example, play your D chord but with a F# bass note. These are fun to learn in open position and add some excitment to more common played out progressions.

But honestly, I think what you're calling "new style" chords are the same ones we've been using for hundreds of years. The rhythm probably accounts more for the modern sound than the chords. You can really make any chord progression sound like a lot of different styles if you understand the rhythm to that style.

neilpan
03-07-2006, 04:54 PM
here...

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=325567

acoustic_guitar
03-07-2006, 09:01 PM
as a "warm up" play Em, C, D, G while using the DDUUDU strumming pattern. sounds pretty nice. well gotta go play with the quad out in the shop.........

PsycicPillow
03-07-2006, 09:15 PM
Thanks alot guys...

All have been helpful.

PM me any lyrics you want critic'd because that's where I'm best at... to be modest.

But I'd like to return the favor.

:cheers:

Dan Steinman
03-19-2006, 11:34 PM
no clue what "new" music is supposed to mean... do you want to learn new chords? a cool little vamp with some easy jazz chords based on the I vi ii V progression that schitz mentioned is goes like this: Gmajor7, Em7, Am7, D9

kpasa01
03-21-2006, 02:14 AM
I like the way this one sounds. I bought a book that has 20 something pages of chords in it and there is like 8-9 chords on each page. I can't remember the name of it b/c I don't have my book with me here at work but it sounds kinda jazzyish.

el-----------------
bl------2----------
gl------1----------
dl------2----------
al------------------
el------------------

mr_chinnery
04-18-2006, 08:22 PM
I've been playing guitar for about a year and I'm not the best. I mainly like to strum chords and make it look like I know what I'm doing :p:

I've been having problems coming up with good chords to use for "new" style music. I cannot make them sound full when I only use 3 or 4 strings. Should I use alternate tunings? It almost seems like using alternate tunings is "cheating" in the guitar world so I'm pressured not to touch my pegs.

I have looked online and found multitudes of sites full of chords but they stick you with awkward chords that are hardly used along with the most basic ones used... Em E7 A Am C G G7 D etc...

I'm just looking for something that sounds full that I can use just for strumming along. Maybe a good sequence or two...

Could try an open tuning, then you can make chords by just barring all the strings. Would sound pretty full.

Akyo
04-19-2006, 02:40 PM
what's supposed to be wrong about alternate tuning???
it expands the range of what one can play and so makes room for creativity,so there's nothing wrong with it,period.

I always think Cadd9 sounds nice and dreamy... :) But really it depends loads on the combination a chord is played in to find it especially nice

cellomaster
04-20-2006, 09:41 PM
kpasa, is amaj7, good thing about that is ya can barre it up fret board and it always sounds cool and jazzy.

roamingbard13
04-21-2006, 03:18 AM
Here is my favorite chord, and to get off topic, lets see if you can say where it comes from:

E-2
B-2
G-0
D-2
A-2
E-0

Akyo
04-21-2006, 04:58 AM
Good sequences are imo the ones lauryn hill uses in her unplugged concert,not really complicated or so but they sound great...
@roamingbard13: wonderwall :) but we dont wanna get offtopic....

Edit: And the chord progression in coldplays don't panic are nice
(Am C F, Dm Am G Dm F)

dr00pa
04-21-2006, 01:15 PM
Cadd9 is my favorite

CurtisJay
04-21-2006, 03:19 PM
wonderwall has some nice sounding chords, I personally prefer Em variations, check out One Half Lovesong by Die Aerzte, that has some good strumming, also, the acoustic version of Closing Time by Semisonic sounds good. ( G D Am C )