The Guide To Stretching In Your Guitar Strings

PDA

View Full Version : The Guide To Stretching In Your Guitar Strings

Butters1989
03-08-2006, 12:15 AM
Most of you are probably thinking "I know how to restring a guitar, why read this article?".

Well. Most people forget one of the most important steps to properly restringing their instrument. Stretching In Your Guitar Strings is EXTREMELY important to the playability of the instrument, and this directly effects how often your guitar goes out of tune.

ON alot of guitars, if you do even a slight bend on the higher strings (G, B, E) the string goes out of tune rather easily. This is because you haven't Stretched in your guitar strings.

Stretching In Your Guitar Strings is very simple, and at the same time, very important. IMPORTANT- YOU NEED TO STRETCH THE STRINGS IN WHENEVER YOU HAVE PUT ON A NEW SET OF STRINGS.

To stretch in your strings, grab one string at a time between your thumb and index finger and pull it up away from the fret board and back down several times. Do this at 3 different positions on the Fretboard. My personal favourites are 5th Fret, 12th Fret, 17th Fret. After you have done this, retune your string back up, and repeat the process. Do this to EVERY string, and then try a solo or a lick that involves Bends. You will notice that your guitar stays in tune after doing all those bends (But always expect it to go out of tune at some point in the bending process)

Even though there is no easy and affordable way to stop your strings going out of tune when doing large bends, This simple process can prevent the string going badly out of tune on the smallest of bends.

Prevention is better then cure.

Scott Watson

xxadamnxx
03-08-2006, 12:22 AM
awesome dude, i had heard of this before but never knew what people meant by it. i was ready to go out and buy new tuners haha thanks bro you saved me a pretty penny!

Butters1989
03-08-2006, 07:36 AM
Your welcome man. I hope more people find it useful

Dirk Gently
03-08-2006, 10:03 AM
What I do to stretch mine is put my thumb under my strings, pull up slightly, then reach my first finger up the string a couple inches and push down, then slide it all the way up the length of the string, keeping constant upwards and downwards pressure. I retune, then do it again. Usually takes 2 to 3 times of doing that per string. I don't do that on my high e-string, though. I just stretch the rest of my guitar and then repeatedly do 1 step+ bends with the high E.

jj1565
03-08-2006, 10:31 AM
u leave the user with the impression that if he chooses not to stretch his strings, his guitar wont be usable.
when in fact, if u play and retune it a few times, they are settled in fine.

just mention that it settles in a new set of strings faster.

Butters1989
03-08-2006, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the tip mate. I look forward to trying it out!

Butters1989
03-08-2006, 10:34 AM
u leave the user with the impression that if he chooses not to stretch his strings, his guitar wont be usable.
when in fact, if u play and retune it a few times, they are settled in fine.

just mention that it settles in a new set of strings faster.

I didnt mean to leave this impression, but if you do not stretch them, They mostly have problems settling and do become very out of tune when you bend. But thankyou for the correction. Im open to all suggestions :)

Scott Watson

jj1565
03-08-2006, 10:46 AM
by the way, you're a hell of a nice guy. :cheers:

Dirk Gently
03-08-2006, 11:02 AM
She's shameless :rolleyes:

rathmusbass
03-09-2006, 04:04 AM
also, with bass strings, its a good idea just to take the strings before putting them on and stretching them ( one hand on each side ) for about a minute at a time then to tune the guitar and hold it by its strings for about 30 seconds each, re-tune, hold for 30 seconds, re-tune, hold, and then re-tune again.

Butters1989
03-09-2006, 04:06 AM
Thanks for all the updates guys. i enjoy your responses and learning even more

johnyapplec2
11-29-2008, 12:59 PM
This is a very old guide,but I have a question:When I play on like a Fender Knockoff(Hey it was Black Friday and it was selling with a gig bag for $60 :D)and I opened it and played the guitar,whenever I like 1 step + bends on all my other string except the High E string,they don't go out of tune. But when I did this to my high e string on the 15th and 21st fret,they both made the tuning go down half a step. I am goign to stretch strings:Should I do it Butters way or jj1565 way?

marchoso
11-29-2008, 06:01 PM
All you need to do is follow the article, it's very simple. Though, I have never felt it necessary to stretch strings.

Flux'D
11-29-2008, 11:39 PM
I always tune up around a quarter step above the tuning I want, and then play scales/songs/etc. and bendy stuff for about 5 minutes. I might repeat this once, retune in correct pitch, and call it good. It's worked pretty well so far haha

DJ2109
02-17-2012, 06:52 AM
I know this thread is old and stuff, but you guys forget to mention the importance of stretching strings on a floating bridge. As you can't just rely on a few hours of playing to stretch in the strings, because all the strings will non stop go out of tune with each other because they haven't been locked in in tune

Flux'D
02-17-2012, 03:10 PM
Why did you necrobump a 3 and a half year old thread for that?
You have a built-in string stretcher with a floating trem. Use it.

EDIT: It's actually a 5 and half year old thread.