Conor Oberst and Bright Eyes

PDA

View Full Version : Conor Oberst and Bright Eyes

CrazyDiamond12
03-13-2006, 09:34 AM
I'm just interested to see anyone's opinions of this lo-fi indie band. I, personally, can respect the songwriting, which is amazing, and Oberst's ability to be unique and yet keep it simple.

But you don't care what I think, I wanna know what you think.

frodoisdead
03-13-2006, 09:53 AM
the only band i can listen to all day every day without getting sick of.

amazing.

but saying that, i can see why people would not agree with me.

also sorry about dresden are pretty.

jallas
03-13-2006, 10:38 AM
I do love Bright Eyes, and most of his songs, there's jsut a few that I can't stand.

erm, that's about all I have to say.

but remember, he doesn't look like jake gyllenhaal guys!

pumpkins_rule
03-13-2006, 10:50 AM
Bright Eyes aren't Lo-Fi. They're indie rock.

dougiecrystals
03-13-2006, 11:02 AM
the only band i can listen to all day every day without getting sick of.

amazing.

but saying that, i can see why people would not agree with me.

also sorry about dresden are pretty.

Same.

Oh and about Sorry About Dresden, is their Let It Rest album any good?

I have their The Convenience Of Indecision album, just was wondering if Let It Rest was worth getting..

Paint
03-13-2006, 11:30 AM
i cant stand bright eyes...i bought that one cd...listening to the ground or whatever it was called because everyone was so hyped up about him. i gave it a few weeks and i couldnt do it. he became very annoying. and then reading about how much of an asshole he is didnt make it easier to listen to the CD. then finding out he's a drunk and was totally oblilerated when i saw him live also didnt help.

he's a douche bag.

starsnostars
03-13-2006, 11:49 AM
isn't he on trial for murder?

he should be for what he's done to music.
--

RobbieMac2002
03-13-2006, 11:52 AM
i can stand some of his songs.... but his voice annoys me... and in fact most of his songs annoy me...

theres a cpl i like on 'Lifted' and some of his mellower acoustic ones... but maybe thats just because he;s quieter?

JET116
03-13-2006, 12:02 PM
yeah hes amazing. Great songwriter

ohdarn323
03-13-2006, 12:49 PM
--

You're so clever.

I think Conor is a pretentious ass, but for the most part I really like his music.

EmO_RuleZ!!
03-13-2006, 02:02 PM
I think that there are two sides to Conor, the passive-nice,shy, sad guy. And then there is the pretentious cokehead asshole.

But, his music is absolutely amazing.

Paint
03-13-2006, 02:18 PM
i really dont think his music is amazing. his lyrics can be clever and witty but folk music is not amazing. and having an awful voice is not amazing.

lo fi nights
03-13-2006, 02:50 PM
now and then he turns a clever phrase...

...but how that makes up for the other 96.2% of the time when he's being a star-****ing, join-every-****ing-liberal-cause-ever-not-cause-its-intelligent-cause-its-liberal, whiny, childlike, drunkard...is beyond me

frd_marshll
03-13-2006, 06:01 PM
but remember, he doesn't look like jake gyllenhaal guys!

oh you know he did in that one picture jallas and you know it

well as you can tell by my avatar i love him in every way

the only bad songs I've heard from him were from the collection but he was like 14 so its forgivable and there are also some amazing songs on there to

his live show can either be amazing or a piece of crap depending on how drunk he is all 3 times i saw him it was amazing

j0nmcc
03-13-2006, 07:13 PM
i think bright eyes are amazing

:)

dougiecrystals
03-13-2006, 08:07 PM
Okay, honestly, where's everyone's getting this "he's a cocky douchbag" thing from?

I've read most of his interviews and he seems pretty modest for the most part.

Really, if you pay attention, it's usually the interviewer trying to make him look like a douchbag?

Interviewer: So we just listened to your album, and it's incredible. In fact, it's the best thing ever created. You are the next Bob Dylan. Your songs are so beautiful with flawless lyrics. You're pretty much God. So .........you're only twenty right?

Oberst :....uh...right, I'm twenty.

:Then editing comes:

Interviewer: So we just listened to your album, and it's incredible. In fact, it's the best thing ever created. You are the next Bob Dylan. Your songs are so beautiful with flawless lyrics. You're pretty much God.

Oberst :right.

You know the funny thing is the people who actually waste their time hating Oberst and telling everyone how they hate him are usually the people who take him so seriously.

Dance-Macabre
03-13-2006, 09:45 PM
I'm a fan, I have seen him twice

lo fi nights
03-13-2006, 09:51 PM
Okay, honestly, where's everyone's getting this "he's a cocky douchbag" thing from?

I've read most of his interviews and he seems pretty modest for the most part.

Really, if you pay attention, it's usually the interviewer trying to make him look like a douchbag?

who said anything about interviews? listen to his songs, for starters try when the president talks to god

Paint
03-13-2006, 10:10 PM
^ and his overall presence

starsnostars
03-14-2006, 04:33 AM
You're so clever.

ouch

Corpus
03-14-2006, 08:34 AM
I can't really enjoy his stuff. His voice doesn't appeal to me and he just comes off as pretentious, whether he is or not. I just don't like his whole delivery. And the hipsters who worship him often bother me for some reason so it just makes me not want to even try to like him.

ohdarn323
03-14-2006, 09:27 AM
folk music is not amazing

That's quite a statement.

.:bleednomore:.
03-14-2006, 09:01 PM
Bright eyes is really good.
I really enjoy Conors lyrics.

lo fi nights
03-15-2006, 03:30 PM
That's quite a statement.

indeed it is, specially since bright eyes aint' folk

Paint
03-15-2006, 05:42 PM
^yes he is.
"Oberst is also guitarist and singer for the band Desaparecidos. The music and lyrics of Desaparecidos differ greatly from Bright Eyes, having more in common with punk rock than folk."

taken straight from wikipedia. bright eyes is folk. but wait, there's even more...

http://www.wweek.com/editorial/3115/6019/

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4467515

"If Digital Ash sounds like indie kids breaking into pop, its sister disc, I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning, is a red-blooded folk album..."

^ taken from www.pitchforkmedia.com

http://www.rhapsody.com/brighteyes << check it. its filed under FOLK

lo fi nights
03-15-2006, 06:19 PM
no, and never use wiki as proof of authority, everything on that site is user submitted, a 12year old in his basement who flunked all his classes has the power to add Bright Eyes to the folk music page of wiki, I could go remove it right now if I wished

leonard cohen, early Dylan, joan baez, woody guthrie, etc are folk

devendra banhart is closer to folk, he's neo-folk, folk revival whatever

bright eyes is just indie. 100% indie, so he uses an acoustic guitar? that makes him folk, noooo.

Hecate
03-15-2006, 06:23 PM
He has quite a few good collaborations, not to mention a lot of music behind him. he's got some talent obviously, but it is personal opinion. Some people can tolerate his voice and shaky style of singing and some can't. I can and I love it.

Paint
03-15-2006, 07:01 PM
and wiki was only one source. what do you have to say about the other ones? nothing? and in one of them he is compared to bob dylan as a folk artist. oh, wait, didnt conor have a guest folk singer on one of his albums? oh why yes he did in fact. every source i cited describes Bright Eyes and folk or having something to do with folk. its distinct in his style of guitar playing and they way he sings.

you call him indie because folk died a long time ago. but no, he is, in his roots, a folk singer and artist.

the_astronaut
03-15-2006, 07:06 PM
He has folk infulences yes, but surely that doesn't make him straight up folk.

cap'nkirk
03-15-2006, 07:36 PM
I think he's a pretty good songwriter... but, i don't think he's a very good performer. His lyrics tend to be really well written and thought out and he does do some interesting things musically. But, I think he's trying to hard to be the next John Lennon, Bob Dylan or whomever. Which he'll never be. I wouldn't call myself a fan, but I don't dislike it. Some stuff is really good or great, but a lot of it to me is boring, a lot of it's been done before.

CrazyDiamond12
03-15-2006, 07:41 PM
Bright Eyes aren't Lo-Fi. They're indie rock.
Lo-fi-
Low fidelity or lo-fi describes a sound recording which contains accidental artifacts, like distortion, or environmental noise, or a recording which has a limited frequency response.
:rolleyes:
Like I said. Lo-fi Indie Rock. They're not separate things, lo-fi is not it's own genre, it's a style of recording. You can be indie and record lo-fi; in fact, alot of indie bands are that way. Although Bright Eyes is moving away from this style, listen to Lua or anything off A Collection of Songs 95-97, and you'll see it's lo-fi indie.

cap'nkirk
03-15-2006, 07:45 PM
^^ Yeah, that's what lo-fi is. Do people really think it's a musical style? The White Stripes also used a lot of lo-fi recording, as did Guided by Voices. Apparently, they've all got different musical styles.

j0nmcc
03-15-2006, 07:54 PM
I always thought bright eyes was straight up emo? ;)

Dance-Macabre
03-15-2006, 08:03 PM
Bright Eyes is indie indeed, Conor Oberst is an indie icon. But indie is more of a lifestyle not a specific genre. Like grunge it was a scene not a genre. Bright Eyes is alternative in the fact he does do folk things for example I'm Wide Awake It's morning. But most of his stuff isn't so folky, he mixes it up.

lo fi nights
03-15-2006, 08:31 PM
to be folk conor would have to be trying to reach back to the music that represented his region. Im sure many Nebraskans rode on cattle with keyboards and wrote songs about Winona Ryder.

he'd also have to write a protest song, topical songs with positive outlooks.
Conor's favorite subjects; himself, and comparing our nations leader to hitler.

verdict: not folk.

as for your sources, pitchfork? right, because if theres anyone who can say "i was there, man" when it comes to folk, its pitchfork. you smurfin nailed it.

You call him folk because you are, in your roots, someone who believes everything he/she/n/a reads.

Paint
03-15-2006, 10:08 PM
no, the lyrics dont make a genre. its the style of which he sings and plays. i've listened to bright eyes. i know what it sounds like. and to me, its sounds pretty folky.

lo fi nights
03-15-2006, 10:52 PM
^what dosnt sound folky to someone who had to google folk to find out what it is!?

Nefro
03-15-2006, 11:10 PM
Pretty good musician. I saw him live with the Faint, and it was pretty cool. I've heard from people who have met him that he is a cocky and pretentious bastard, and he does seem like it.

Also, the whole thing about being the next Bob Dylan is a bit of a joke.

Conor Oberst is good, but nowhere near Bob Dylan's talent.

Paint
03-15-2006, 11:46 PM
^what dosnt sound folky to someone who had to google folk to find out what it is!?

no, you are wrong again. there was no googling of folk.

maybe you should stop eating up your music so much.

Dance-Macabre
03-16-2006, 01:56 AM
I don't think he's cocky, I just think he can be a dick sometimes.

frd_marshll
03-16-2006, 02:48 AM
he's neo folk at times

ChildofBodom
03-16-2006, 04:28 AM
Wow, the entire last page was just two or three people fighting about what genre to put him under.

Let's ask the age-old question: Does it really fucking matter?

Some people say he's folk. Others, indie. Maybe, possibly, he's...Oh, I don't know, indie-folk? What a novel concept!
At any rate, it's totally irrelevant. He makes music. He uses an acoustic guitar. That's all there really is to it.

Anyway, he's enjoyable. I love everything of his I've heard.

frodoisdead
03-16-2006, 10:37 AM
i'm in love with the messenger bird's song at the moment.

it's pretty.

Gurgle!Argh!
03-16-2006, 12:52 PM
to be folk conor would have to be trying to reach back to the music that represented his region. Im sure many Nebraskans rode on cattle with keyboards and wrote songs about Winona Ryder.

he'd also have to write a protest song, topical songs with positive outlooks.
Conor's favorite subjects; himself, and comparing our nations leader to hitler.

verdict: not folk.

as for your sources, pitchfork? right, because if theres anyone who can say "i was there, man" when it comes to folk, its pitchfork. you smurfin nailed it.

You call him folk because you are, in your roots, someone who believes everything he/she/n/a reads.

your understanding of folk music leaves a lot to be desired. for starters, writing a protest song is not a necessity to be a folk artist. and even if it was, id say that 'lets not **** ourselves' comes pretty close.

a lot of bright eyes tracks have folky elements to them. end of.

ohdarn323
03-16-2006, 02:31 PM

I don't care what genre Bright Eyes falls under, but to dismiss an entire genre of music as "not amazing" is silly.

EmO_RuleZ!!
03-16-2006, 03:22 PM
Agreed, his older stuff is indie, and lately he's been flirting with folk.
just get over yourselves

dougiecrystals
03-16-2006, 04:26 PM
So anywus..

I'm pretty sure Bright Eyes stuff from now on is going to be more 'folkly' like the style that is used in I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning.

So you can pretty much say good-bye to stuff like Letting Off the Happiness and Fevers & Mirrors.
Which is a shame.

Well, that's just what I think.
I mean, You can just listen to his stuff and see the style steadily changing to the sound used in I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning.

SilenceEvolves
03-16-2006, 05:56 PM
So anywus..

I'm pretty sure Bright Eyes stuff from now on is going to be more 'folkly' like the style that is used in I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning.

So you can pretty much say good-bye to stuff like Letting Off the Happiness and Fevers & Mirrors.
Which is a shame.

Well, that's just what I think.
I mean, You can just listen to his stuff and see the style steadily changing to the sound used in I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning.

It's good too, IWAIM had the best sound of any album. Fevers had the best lyrics, though, IWAIM is not bad at all in that respect. Lifted and IWAIM are his high points vocally and musically, I think, even though Fevers is my favorite record by him.

However, I wouldn't mind seeing some more Digital Ash either.

He's in my top five artists, by the way.

i_strum_i_drum
03-16-2006, 06:18 PM
I like the music he makes.

(This topic is always so controversial)

dougiecrystals
03-16-2006, 11:26 PM
It's good too, IWAIM had the best sound of any album. Fevers had the best lyrics, though, IWAIM is not bad at all in that respect. Lifted and IWAIM are his high points vocally and musically, I think, even though Fevers is my favorite record by him.

However, I wouldn't mind seeing some more Digital Ash either.

He's in my top five artists, by the way.

Ah, yeah, I actually liked Digital Ash also, I don't see what most people didn't like about it.
I don't know, for me, my favourite record is 'Letting Off the Happiness'. I just love every song.

But other than that, I'd agree with you.
I'd also say high point overall is Lifted.
It was a really easy album to first get into. Once I had heard Method Acting, I was hooked. Same goes for Fevers and Mirrors, all it took was the first listen of "The Calendar Hung Itself...". (Honestly, how can you not like that song?)
Letting Off the Happiness took me a couple listens.
Digital Ash took me alot more listens.
And I'm Wide Awake took me even more.

Don't know why, just happened like that.

I like the music he makes.

(This topic is always so controversial)

Haha, too true, too true.

Griswold
03-17-2006, 10:16 AM
He's sure got some good tunes. I think Digital Ash is his best album. However, he's really not very diverse - when will he get over himself? That's all he ever sings about, the spineless emo.

jallas
03-17-2006, 12:12 PM
I agree that Digital Ash is not so bad as people make out. I bought it after IWAIM and didn't listen to it for a long time 'cause people told me it was crap, but one day I jsut put it on and I did really like it. Gold Mine Gutted is IMO a great great song :)

IWAIM is possibly one of his best IMO, and probably my favourite, or joint favourite with F&M

frd_marshll
03-17-2006, 11:32 PM
i don't see what any body as aginst Digital Ash yeah it wasn't acoustic or have the bright eyes sound but i thought it was just as good as I'm Wide Awake

frodoisdead
03-18-2006, 01:17 PM
digital ash is pretty bad i think.

it has no energy.

it's disappointing cuz gold mine gutted&arc of time are amazing ways to kick the album off.

guitarhero_908
03-27-2006, 09:41 PM
Bright Eyes are awesome indeed, but not lo-fi, listened to digital ash in a digital urn?
Saddle Creek is one of my favourite record labels to listen to. Lots of cool bands.

public_witness
03-29-2006, 06:49 PM
you're all gonna flame me for this, but i can't stand bright eyes.

his lyrics are so self absorbed he makes morrisey look like mother teresa. theyre not very poetic either.
i really hear no musical innovation in his songs, nor do i hear any clever melodic hooks.
i think the only thing that has given him the musical underground's respect is the fact that he plays unplugged.

the reason i like amg more than pitchfork is that they ****ing pan mr.oberst haha.

thepickups
04-01-2006, 04:41 PM

Hah, I could so easily play you 10 songs by him which are evidently folk songs. So, so easily.

i'm in love with the messenger bird's song at the moment.

well the kitchen is warrrrrmmm......

And also, I really don't think IWAIM is anywhere as good as the other albums.It doesn't have the same great feel a few of the others do.

Top two have to be:

Fevers and Mirrors

and

Lifted

Based purely on amount of great songs and how well they fit together so tightly as an album on a whole.

thepickups
04-01-2006, 05:00 PM
my pc isn't letting me edit so here it is:

well the kitchen is warrrrrmmm......

I mean the coffee is warmmm

and finally, the last bit about albums needs a little explaining.

IWAIM I didn't mean it was bad, it isn't, it's great, it just doens't have the same feel and structure that the other two do.

silentsteeples
04-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Does it matter if he's a drunk or an 'asshole.'

Axl Rose was a drunk and an asshole, no one gave him **** about it.

X Alkaline 3
04-09-2006, 04:56 AM
Hey I got a question.

What brand of guitars does Conor use?

Green_Fox
04-09-2006, 08:17 PM
recommendations??
i heard a couple of his songs and i loved them. i want more..so..
recommendations please!

Gurgle!Argh!
04-10-2006, 06:38 AM
^

lets not shit ourselves (to love and to be loved)
make war
haligh haligh a lie haligh
we are nowhere and its now
method acting
waste of paint
bowl of oranges
something vague
going for the gold
feb 15th
the calendar hung itself
spring cleaning (yeah, he isnt the one playing and singing it, but shit, its one of the best songs hes ever written.)

frodoisdead
04-10-2006, 08:00 AM
all of the every day & every night ep.

especially a new arrangement.

i currently listening to i'm wide awake quite a bit so i'd say that as a collective record.

i don't think you can go wrong to be honest

Green_Fox
04-10-2006, 08:04 AM
ok thanks so much!:cheers:

the_astronaut
04-10-2006, 11:30 AM
My favs at the moment:

Waste Of Paint.
A Few Minutes On Friday.
Messenger Bird's Song.
Carrot/Diamond (/Jumpoff? I've seen versions with and without it, I think it's without)

Get those too.

jallas
04-10-2006, 12:24 PM
i have to say right, i have never ever ever been able to see the attraction of waste of paint. sure, it's a good song, i like the lyrics lots, but the song itself just bores me to death. i know people who have that as their favourite ever BE song but i don't get it.

:sad:

my favourites are:
haligh haligh a lie haligh
land locked blues
a line allows progess, a circle does not
arienette
i believe in symmetry
first day of my life
one straw (please)
if winter ends
oh, you are the roots that sleep beneath my feet and hold the earth in place
nothing gets crossed out
saturday as usual
the city has sex.

damn i didn't mean for there to be so many :(

the_astronaut
04-10-2006, 01:59 PM
Haha, well everyone has their different tastes, I just love the lyrics and feel of the song.

EmO_RuleZ!!
04-10-2006, 02:17 PM
sunrise, sunset.

thepickups
04-10-2006, 02:41 PM
How can you pick your favourites?

I have too many to pick a fav from.

X Alkaline 3
04-11-2006, 12:17 AM
hey i have a question.

what brand of guitar does conor play?

Final
04-11-2006, 12:22 AM
I love the music. One of my favorite songs ever is "Hungry for a Holiday".

EmO_RuleZ!!
04-11-2006, 02:04 PM
hey i have a question.

what brand of guitar does conor play?

he writes with his martin, and sometimes plays live with it.
but lately, he's been playing gibson acoustics.
i'm not sure on electrics, i have it in this interview he did for an acoustic guitar magazine, so i'll check it out when i get home.

the_astronaut
04-11-2006, 03:02 PM
Doesn't he use Danelectros for electrics or summat like that?

jallas
04-11-2006, 03:16 PM
he's recording a new album btw, I read today. it's due for release spring 2007.

thepickups
04-11-2006, 03:26 PM
Argh, I used to know the brand, I remembered it yesterday. The other guy's right^, but I can't remember his electro accoustic's brand, it's quite a big name.

And Alice, I heard he was building a house with M Ward and others and he was just gonna relax?!

hah!

jallas
04-11-2006, 03:49 PM
pfft i read it on channel 4 teletext music news page 351.

it's never wrong.

thepickups
04-11-2006, 03:51 PM
haha, I heard they have legends writing for those things.

MattDaviesFFAF
04-11-2006, 06:21 PM
:wtf:

New album new album new album.

M. Ward is really cool... what connections does he have with Conor?

And my favourite songs are;
Tereza and Tomas
Road to Joy
Waste of Paint
Let's Not **** Ourselves
Landlocked Blues
Time Code
Something Vague

EmO_RuleZ!!
04-11-2006, 06:54 PM
Argh, I used to know the brand, I remembered it yesterday. The other guy's right^, but I can't remember his electro accoustic's brand, it's quite a big name.
desaparaciedos?

they did a tour with jim james when i'm wide awake was first released.

thepickups
04-12-2006, 07:23 AM

Good mates, I have some of them together. It's cool.

they did a tour with jim james when i'm wide awake was first released.

Word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepickups

desaparaciedos?

REad my post, it says brand.

EmO_RuleZ!!
04-12-2006, 02:22 PM
I thought it was a typo

EmO_RuleZ!!
04-12-2006, 09:44 PM
sorry in advance for double posting

in Acoustic Guitar magazine, December 2005:

What He Plays
Acoustic Guitars: 1975 Matin 000-18. Late 40's Gibson LG.

Strings: D'Addario phophor- bronze mediums

Pickup: Fishman Acoustic Matrix Natural 1.

Electric Guitars: 1973 Gibson Les Paul Jr., 2000 Danelectro baritone, and "a lot of broken Fender Strats and Teles."

Amp: Vox AC30

Picks: Fingerpicks acoustic with Lee Press-On nails.
Plays electric with .73 gray or red flatpicks.

rockon1824
05-21-2006, 11:11 AM
my favorite songs are Lover I don't have to love and True blue. then again i've only heard like 10 songs but i'm out to buy an album today. I've heard I'm Wide awake, it's morning is the best, what do you guys think?

the_astronaut
05-21-2006, 07:25 PM
I'm Wide Awake is best to get first.

But, Fevers And Mirrors is his best album.

thepickups
05-22-2006, 10:40 AM
I'm Wide Awake is best to get first.

I disagree.

It's probably the weakest album, bar a collection of songs and digital. They're all great; don't get me wrong, but the others are ****ing mind blowing.

Fevers and Mirrors

and

Lifted

for the win.

If you don't get them, you don't get Bright Eyes, in my opinion. Anyone can like the catchyness of I'm wide awake, but it takes a better ear to appreciate the integrity of the others.

dejesus
05-22-2006, 11:33 AM
hm.. i think Im Wide Awake is actually the best start to finish album. It just reels off good song after good song

i love lifted and fevers but i dont think theyre quite as good as Wide Awake

and i agree, if you dont like lifted or fevers, Bright Eyes probably isnt your band. Its a somewhat acquired taste

jallas
05-22-2006, 02:37 PM
I disagree.

It's probably the weakest album, bar a collection of songs and digital. They're all great; don't get me wrong, but the others are ****ing mind blowing.

Fevers and Mirrors

and

Lifted

for the win.

If you don't get them, you don't get Bright Eyes, in my opinion. Anyone can like the catchyness of I'm wide awake, but it takes a better ear to appreciate the integrity of the others.
he wasn't saying that IWAIM is the best album, he said it's probably the best to start off with.

which I agree with.

thepickups
05-22-2006, 03:13 PM
he wasn't saying that IWAIM is the best album, he said it's probably the best to start off with.

I didn't say he was?

I just said that you shouldn't start there, and then went on to say that it's the weakest.

the_astronaut
05-22-2006, 08:13 PM

which I agree with.
Thank-you.

It's probably his most accessible album, meaning it is therefore the best one to get first.

stratstrummer40
05-22-2006, 09:33 PM
Okay this is my opinion on Bright Eyes/ Conor Oberst.

Iv heard Conor is a "prick" but Iv never heard any good evidence of it. I know he gets wasted at alot of his shows and I personally think thats pretty lame for him to do that so often but whatever.

Now for his music, I downloaded a torrent for his WHOLE DISCOGRAPHY. Litteraly every single Bright Eyes Album, Split, you name it. Even all his side projects (desapericidos, park ave., commander venus, etc.). I can safely say the guy can write a good tune with some pretty cool lyrics. But by god hes got so many songs where he just rambles and they blend together and god almighty I get sick of them fast. Those are the songs that make to think hes overrated. Like I said before, hes got skill when it comes to writing good music with some very clever lyrics, but the guy has got a cult behind him where people listen to him and assume hes some sort of a genius after hearing a couple good songs. Hes good, but Iv heard much better in my life and I think hes just overrated. Thats my opinion atleast.

thepickups
05-23-2006, 11:30 AM
It's probably his most accessible album, meaning it is therefore the best one to get first.

That's why I wouldn't agree. People would expect more of the same, whereas his other stuff is alot more varied and different.

It's just my opinion, it doesn't end anything.

thepickups
05-23-2006, 11:35 AM
Hes good, but Iv heard much better in my life and I think hes just overrated. Thats my opinion atleast.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think is much better?

sorry for double posting, but i don't have long!

the_astronaut
05-23-2006, 12:53 PM
That's why I wouldn't agree. People would expect more of the same, whereas his other stuff is alot more varied and different.

It's just my opinion, it doesn't end anything.
I guess, same as it's mine, it's cool :)

Just out of curiosity, what do you think is much better?

sorry for double posting, but i don't have long!
Elliot Smith?

I know it was directed at him, but whatev.

system
05-23-2006, 05:23 PM
honestly, i haven't listened to IWAIM more than 10 times since i bought it, on the day it was released. it never stood out, for me. half the songs are a little boring and i usually skip over them. i've definitely always been a bigger fan of digital ash. less skipping.

DirgeForTheSun
05-23-2006, 05:43 PM
lifted is my favorite, then fevers

favorite songs are if winter ends, sunrise/sunset, and don't know when but a days gonna come....i get chills when the drums come in

thepickups
05-24-2006, 11:12 AM
Elliot Smith

Grr, I thought you were going to say some heavy metal group or something.

EmO_RuleZ!!
05-24-2006, 01:55 PM
lifted is my favorite, then fevers

favorite songs are if winter ends, sunrise/sunset, and don't know when but a days gonna come....i get chills when the drums come in

Sunrise, Sunset may be the hardest Bright Eyes song to sing.

startingline
05-30-2006, 03:22 PM
this is one of the more heated debates i've seen, connor sparks alot of different feelings obviously.

i absolutely love his stuff. you have to give him credit for being original, creative and loyal to his record label and not selling out to badly as of yet. I can see how most people are feeling and saying about his music. It is alittle folk sounding (just listen to 'Lua' or 'At The Bottom Of Everything'), but noone can say that he sucks or that he's not talented.

Gurgle!Argh!
05-30-2006, 03:37 PM
lately ive been listening to a lot of the 'there is no beginning to the story' ep (on vinyl, with the neil young cover and amy in the white coat) and i like it a lot.

that is all.

YoungPilgrim
05-30-2006, 03:44 PM
I like Bright Eyes. I'm from Omaha so I've seen him live a few times (I'm going to see him on June 16th...for free!) and it's always been a good show. He does get drunk on stage (drunker I should say) and it only seems to affect his performance towards the end of the show. He seems nice for the most part. As far as albums go, I think Letting Off the Happiness is one of my favorites.

the_astronaut
05-30-2006, 06:21 PM
Grr, I thought you were going to say some heavy metal group or something.
Why?

EmO_RuleZ!!
05-30-2006, 06:45 PM
connor

At least you could spell his name correctly.

iamjosh
05-30-2006, 09:01 PM
i like him, i was never bothered by his voice and his lyrics are clever. now to call him the new bob dylan is, i would say, an offense punishable by death. his lyrics have, y'know, meaning. connor's are very clever, but they aren't, say, society-changing anthems.

saddle creek records in general is a great place for music if you ask moi, and you didn't

mrFood
05-30-2006, 09:33 PM
I quite like him, although a lot of people say he's emo and the like. Great lyricist. The instrumentations' not incredible, but it works well with his voice/lyrics.

thepickups
05-31-2006, 04:35 AM
Emo my ass.

If he's emo, then emo's the ****ing epitome of good music now a days.

There's nothing worse than people labelling bands.

Who gives a ****?

If the emo's like him, then good, maybe their music taste is improving.

Becuase Oberst isn't some guy writing boring lyrics and sticking a catchy beat to them.

No, he's writing extremely clever lyrics, not repeating chorus' and putting amazing music to it.

Listen to- When the Curious Girl Realises She is Under Glass.

If emo's like that, then they can all suck me off for about 12 years with their bloody wrists cupping my balls.

So stop debating whether it's emo, or folk or rock or hip hop or whatever you people always say.

Let's accept the man's ****ing great and hope that he brings his album out soon.

Neely
05-31-2006, 05:01 AM
^Agreed.
Conor is a great lyricist and a great musician, it doesnt matter what genre it is if its good!

thepickups
05-31-2006, 12:03 PM
Neely!

I like your voice.

ghettohippygrrl
05-31-2006, 08:15 PM
I think he sucks copious amounts of ass. But that dead horse has been beaten enough for me to quantify it.

EmO_RuleZ!!
05-31-2006, 08:42 PM
Neely!

I like your voice.

Ever listen to Tilly and the Wall?

Monkeygone2hvn
05-31-2006, 08:54 PM
favorite album: fevers and mirrors then im wide awake it morning

favorite songs:
if winter ends
messenger birds song
poison oak
land locked blues
touch
theme to a pinata

Neely
06-01-2006, 03:23 AM
Neely!

I like your voice.

haha i guess its kinda obvious where i got my username from then, isnt it?

Zamboni
06-01-2006, 11:03 AM
I really like Bright Eyes, and I'll be seeing him on the 7th. (much to the dismay of Jon :p: )

thepickups
06-01-2006, 11:07 AM
Ever listen to Tilly and the Wall?

You got msn?

Add me and show me some stuff, I like your taste so far.

thepickups@hotmail.co.uk

I really like Bright Eyes, and I'll be seeing him on the 7th. (much to the dismay of Jon )

Where?

Dirk Gently
06-01-2006, 11:08 AM
i like him, i was never bothered by his voice and his lyrics are clever. now to call him the new bob dylan is, i would say, an offense punishable by death. his lyrics have, y'know, meaning. connor's are very clever, but they aren't, say, society-changing anthems.

saddle creek records in general is a great place for music if you ask moi, and you didn't
Some of his lyrics should be clever since his average song is a 6-7 minute free verse whine. After all, if you leave a chimp at a keyboard long enough, he might type a few actual sentences. He's the type of person who seems to be in love with what he has to say but doesn't worry about things like "hooks" or "dynamic variation." I go to a lot of open mics and a lot of people there are all over this guy's balls, but I just don't see it. His singing voice is terrible and the music is taxing to listen to.

Zamboni
06-01-2006, 11:11 AM
He's the type of person who seems to be in love with what he has to say but doesn't worry about things like "hooks" or "dynamic variation."
"Hooks" don't necessarily equal more talent. :rolleyes:

Dirk Gently
06-01-2006, 11:14 AM
No, but they make for a better song. Hell, I'll find myself singing a song to myself that I HATE because the hook is clever. And I think coming up with a good hook or a good chorus is much more "clever" than writing 6 or 7 14-line verses with no chorus. There's a girl who goes to open mic who covers "Landlocked Blues" and "It's Ok We Can Still Be Friends" (or whatever) a lot and by the third or fourth verse it's like *YAWN*

Zamboni
06-01-2006, 11:18 AM
No, but they make for a better song. Hell, I'll find myself singing a song to myself that I HATE because the hook is clever. And I think coming up with a good hook or a good chorus is much more "clever" than writing 6 or 7 14-line verses with no chorus.
In your opinion.

I personally like the depth of a long song with intertwined, unabridged deep meanings. If a hook is the only way you can appreciate a song, it's really too bad.

But I guess it's all subjective.

thepickups
06-01-2006, 11:18 AM
pfft, i disagree.

it's a relief to hear him instead of the other boring waste that's out there.

thepickups
06-01-2006, 11:19 AM
"Landlocked Blues" and "It's Ok We Can Still Be Friends" (or whatever) a lot and by the third or fourth verse it's like *YAWN*

Not exactly his ebst songs though...

In your opinion.

I personally like the depth of a long song with intertwined, unabridged deep meanings. If a hook is the only way you can appreciate a song, it's really too bad.

Well said.

Dirk Gently
06-01-2006, 11:27 AM
In your opinion.

It's not the only way, but let's put it this way to take it out of the realm of songwriting:

I'd rather read Robert Frost than e.e. cummings. Why? Because I think it takes more talent to nail a perfect rhyme every line and still convey meaning than it does to write "artsy" free verse poetry. Of COURSE you're going to get some "meaning" out of something when you prattle on and on endlessly. The truly creative songwriter will convey deep meaning with brevity. Stephen King isn't automatically a great author because he can write books that will give you a hernia. On the other hand, George R. R. Martin writes long novels but he's brilliant. And length doesn't automatically mean deep meanings. For example, in Landlocked Blues, he goes from talking about having sex on the floor in the living room to politics. It's like he doesn't really have one particular meaning, so he's all over the place. To me, this Oberst guy doesn't hold a candle to truly great songwriters like Dylan, Paul Simon, Thom Yorke, Willie Nelson, Warren Zevon, etc. Sometimes convention exists because it works; it doesn't just exist to stifle creativity. So if you think I'm missing something, please, set me in the right direction, because what I've heard thus far doesn't appeal to me at all.

thepickups
06-01-2006, 11:29 AM
he goes from talking about having sex on the floor in the living room to politics. It's like he doesn't really have one particular meaning, so he's all over the place

Ever think that those thoughts and images are linked?

I certainly do.

Dirk Gently
06-01-2006, 11:30 AM
Ever think that those thoughts and images are linked?

I certainly do.
No. How much I hate George Bush never pops in my mind while I'm having sex with my wife. Nor do I watch TV news while I'm doing it.

But thanks for ignoring the majority of my post.

thepickups
06-01-2006, 11:32 AM
No. How much I hate George Bush never pops in my mind while I'm having sex with my wife.

Really?

On a serious note though, it makes sense to me.

While he is having sex, and making loves, others are fighting and killing, therefore destroying families and breaking loves.

I think he's alot cleverer than you think.

But, I do also agree with some things you said, apart from the thom yorke thing, becuase conor is a much better writer in my opinion.

thepickups
06-01-2006, 11:34 AM
But thanks for ignoring the majority of my post.

I read it.

I was just nit picking.

You have some good points.

Zamboni
06-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Where?
Red's in Edmonton. :cheers:

Dirk Gently
06-01-2006, 11:35 AM
I dunno. To me, "Black Star" is an infinitely better break up song than "...Friends." Anything on either The Bends or OK Computer (with maybe the exception of Fitter Happier) pwns anything I've heard from Bright Eyes. Although one of the best break up songs I've heard recently is "Come Pick Me Up" by Ryan Adams.

thepickups
06-01-2006, 11:38 AM
Red's in Edmonton

I'd swaer I've been there, where is it?

I dunno. To me, "Black Star" is an infinitely better break up song than "...Friends." Anything on either The Bends or OK Computer (with maybe the exception of Fitter Happier) pwns anything I've heard from Bright Eyes.

Anyone can do that, pick a great song from one band and then the worst from another.

Listen to Fevers and Mirrors for pure beauty.

I have thom's new album already btw, but i'll buy it when it's out too.

black star is so great though

so is come pick me up

and fitter happier

Zamboni
06-01-2006, 11:41 AM
Dirk, you're spending so much time comparing Connor to people, you forget that he is unlike anyone else in this genre right now.

His musical and lyrical styling is completely different than anyone else. That doesn't mean it's better or worse than any one thing, it just means it's different.

Extreme example: Picasso was doing fucked up stuff with colours and shapes before anyone else even had the inkling of doing so. His art is some of the most brilliant and different stuff ever created. But at the time, it was frowned upon somewhat for it's originality.

Comparisons don't work to analyze or justify a point.

Dirk Gently
06-01-2006, 11:41 AM
Anyone can do that, pick a great song from one band and then the worst from another.
Well, I definitely don't have the catalog knowledge of Bright Eyes to say I intentionally picked "the worst" song; it's just the one I've been exposed to the most. I definitely get your point, though. I'll check out your suggestion. D/L some stuff after I get my home computer situation straightened out. BTW, are there tracks where his voice doesn't do that "I'm dying" warble thing?
Dirk, you're spending so much time comparing Connor to people, you forget that he is unlike anyone else in this genre right now.
Oh please. People have been doing the rambling singer/songwriter thing since the 60s.

Zamboni
06-01-2006, 11:43 AM
I'd swaer I've been there, where is it?

It's on the west side of town inside West Edmonton Mall.

thepickups
06-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Well, I definitely don't have the catalog knowledge of Bright Eyes to say I intentionally picked "the worst" song; it's just the one I've been exposed to the most. I definitely get your point, though. I'll check out your suggestion. D/L some stuff after I get my home computer situation straightened out. BTW, are there tracks where his voice doesn't do that "I'm dying" warble thing?

hahaha, sure.

But buy Fevers and Mirrors or Lifted.

A superb album, one of my favourites ever, by far.

Pure emotion.

And not an "emo" album.

**** that, it's pure music.

thepickups
06-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Oh please. People have been doing the rambling singer/songwriter thing since the 60s.

Please, find me someone as close to decent as he is, it'd make my day.

Zamboni
06-01-2006, 11:49 AM
Please, if you can generalize an artist (with over 15 albums, by the way) to a "rambling singer/songwriter", you're nuckin' futs.

Dirk Gently
06-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Well, I'm new to the whole folk music kind of thing, so I couldn't rip off a long list. But I find Iron & Wine and The Postal Service to be similar, although The Postal Service is a bit hit or miss to me. And of course Bob Dylan started the whole thing. "The Hurricane?" Come on... He's the grandmaster of really long acoustic-driven songs. Of course, it's hard to touch the brilliance of "Like a Rolling Stone" or the aforementioned "Hurricane." And he's actually borrowing a lot from the female singer/songwriter tradition, like Joanie Mitchell.

thepickups
06-01-2006, 11:58 AM
Nice examples, yes.

But he's more contempary than Bob. Don't get me wrong though, I ****ing love Dylan, I have hundreds of his, 289 to be precise, but seen as Conor is making the better music of the moment, I don't see the problem in having a newer version. But it isn't even like they're the same, it's just because he plays some longer songs like Dylan. Who cares, length means nothing, it's what fills the silence.

I think it's silly comparing also, it needn't be done.

If you compare, you usually compromise.

I'd like it if you listen to more of his "better" music, before we dabate any more.

It'll be worth it, if you're open minded towards him. Don't listen to others.

Apart from me maybe...

Dirk Gently
06-01-2006, 12:07 PM
I hear you. I'll be the first to admit that my knowledge of his music is lacking, so I'm just speaking from first impressions rather than encyclopaedic knowledge. And I agree with you on Dylan. But as far as comparisons go, I think people gravitate towards what they're familiar with, and it's a basic part of human understanding to associate something "new" with something familiar. That's why many people are afraid of what they don't understand or something that's completely foreign to them. I personally love discovering new types of music, but at the same time, I'm a very critical listener. There have only been a handful of bands in my life that I listened to and on first listen was like "yeah, this is great." Last one for me was probably when I discovered Jeff Buckley's "Grace" about a year and a half ago.

frd_marshll
06-04-2006, 01:13 PM
so i have a friend and she has never heard bright eyes so what cd should i give her

i was thinking either wide awake, Lifted or Letting off the Happiness

dougiecrystals
06-04-2006, 03:45 PM
Lifted.
Done.

EmO_RuleZ!!
06-04-2006, 08:16 PM
Lifted could sell a non-believer on Bright Eyes by False Advertising

frd_marshll
06-04-2006, 08:23 PM
ok so lifted it is then

YoungPilgrim
06-04-2006, 10:09 PM
But I find Iron & Wine and The Postal Service to be similar

How are Postal Serviced and Iron & Wine similar? :confused:

Iron & Wine is acoustic driven neo-folk and Postal Service is Electro-pop. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just want to know your reasoning behind that comparison.

...And I am aware that Iron & Wine covered "Such Great Heights" but it is completely different from the Postal Service original.

j0nmcc
06-05-2006, 07:38 AM
that's true.

:/

Dirk Gently
06-06-2006, 11:11 AM
Iron & Wine is acoustic driven neo-folk and Postal Service is Electro-pop.
AAAAHHHH I'm drowning in subgenres!!! :wtf:

Anyway, I know the music sounds different, it's more of a lyrical thing. But I get what you're saying. Actually, if the Iron & Wine guy were any more low key, he'd be comatose.

MattDaviesFFAF
06-06-2006, 11:17 AM
sam Beam?

Cool guy.

Conor Oberst looks like Jake Gylllenhalll or however many l's there are.

And I would've said to get Letting Off but whatever.

j0nmcc
06-06-2006, 11:33 AM
Id get Lifted...

its my fave album by him

Zamboni
06-06-2006, 11:56 AM
Id get Lifted...

its my fave album by him
Indeed. :cheers:

dougiecrystals
06-07-2006, 02:31 PM
So I heard Conor Oberst is bring out another Desaparecidos album, anyone else got some back up on this?

I heard from some kid on myspace, but he didn't say where he got the news, I should message him right now...

But it'd make sense right?

I dont' know about the other members, but well, Oberst I believe is taking a break with Bright Eyes except for a few shows here and there in the Summer, but...yeah, leaves lots of time to do other stuff.

system
06-07-2006, 03:13 PM
does anyone else have those like "what happened this year" sections in the end of your yearbooks? where its got just like a little recap of movies and cds and random other **** that happened with everything? well on the music page of mine that i got today conor was in there. i kind of screamed like a little girl. its basically a picture of him on stage and this is the caption:

DO THEY SHOOT LASERS, OR ARE THEY JUST BRIGHT?
Conor Oberst and his band Bright Eyes release three albums in 2005 as part of their attempt at world domination.

pretty lame, i know, but damn. right in between mary j. blige and mariah carey.
and the opposite page has death cab for cutie. yeah. thought i'd share.

Guitarist132
06-07-2006, 03:46 PM
fevers and mirrors yayyyy

thepickups
06-07-2006, 03:50 PM
So I heard Conor Oberst is bring out another Desaparecidos album, anyone else got some back up on this?

I heard from some kid on myspace, but he didn't say where he got the news, I should message him right now...

But it'd make sense right?

I dont' know about the other members, but well, Oberst I believe is taking a break with Bright Eyes except for a few shows here and there in the Summer, but...yeah, leaves lots of time to do other stuff.

I heard he was building a house for a year with M Ward and mates, and won't record this year.

But then Alice told me he's due a CD this summer.

So I'm confused.

I'd be happy with a desa album, the first was superb.

Gurgle!Argh!
06-07-2006, 04:00 PM
i hear there will be another desa album, but not til after the next bright eyes record.

thepickups
06-07-2006, 04:05 PM
Can't wait!

jallas
06-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Conor Oberst looks like Jake Gylllenhalll or however many l's there are.
DOES NOT

But then Alice told me he's due a CD this summer.
wtffff?????? no i didn't. i read on teletext a while back that he was to begin making a new album sometime soon but it didn't say when would be released.

thepickups
06-07-2006, 04:19 PM
wtffff?????? no i didn't. i read on teletext a while back that he was to begin making a new album sometime soon but it didn't say when would be released.

Same difference.

But I did think you said summer.

My mistake then.

system
06-07-2006, 04:50 PM
he's supposed to have it out spring 2007, is what i heard.

EmO_RuleZ!!
06-08-2006, 09:13 PM
I'm not believing any news about a new Desa album because Payola was all set and due but then Conor decided to record two new Bright Eyes albums.

YoungPilgrim
06-08-2006, 10:53 PM
I wouldn't say no to a new Desaparecidos album...

Ona different note:
I hear Conor can barely stand to play old Bright Eyes material anymore. I'll let you know if he plays any new material at the free show on June 16. Sometimes living in Omaha pays off...sometimes.

EmO_RuleZ!!
06-08-2006, 10:56 PM
On the tour that they recorded the Motion Sickness disc on, didn't he play like Something Vague and a whole slew of older songs?

YoungPilgrim
06-08-2006, 11:00 PM
On the tour that they recorded the Motion Sickness disc on, didn't he play like Something Vague and a whole slew of older songs?

Yeah, that was the Wide Awake tour. From what I hear, he got really sick of most of the old songs on that tour and the one after the Digital Ash tour, with the exception of a few from Fevers and Mirrors. He's been writing new material for a few months.

thepickups
06-09-2006, 08:20 AM
Ona different note:
I hear Conor can barely stand to play old Bright Eyes material anymore. I'll let you know if he plays any new material at the free show on June 16. Sometimes living in Omaha pays off...sometimes.

Bastard.

And so he should be writing new material.
Always better to move on than stay still.

YoungPilgrim
06-09-2006, 11:25 PM
Bastard.

And so he should be writing new material.
Always better to move on than stay still.

:p:
Personally, I would rather see a new Desa album than a Bright Eyes one, just for a little change of pace.

thepickups
06-10-2006, 07:26 AM
Don't you love the desa album, it's so intense and hard ringing.

IndieMetalhead
01-18-2007, 04:36 PM
uhm, best place to post this i guess
but i bought digital ash the other day, and wow. seriously, i never knew how good bright eyes were.

STRAT811
01-18-2007, 04:43 PM
I love everything about him. There's quite a large thread on him in the pop-punk/emo forum.

IndieMetalhead
01-18-2007, 04:44 PM
i tried searching and got this one. there was an 'the thread for all things conor oberst/bright eyes' but it didnt appear

2xG
01-18-2007, 05:31 PM
I hope there's more to Bright Eyes than IWA,IM , because that sucked horribly. Should I bother to check out his other stuff?

IndieMetalhead
01-18-2007, 05:46 PM
download some stuff. its worth a shot, if you like it you'll buy them of course ;)

i just bought on impulse really.

anti45
01-22-2007, 04:24 PM
Personally in my opinion he is the artist of our times.
70's had the sex pistols , 80's had bowie and GnR 90's Nirvana. 00's I believe is bright eyes, he (although it is a band we should really just assume conor is the creative mind behind it) constantly changes and evolves his musical direction, not a great guitarist or singer but something is so compeling about him.
Awesome

jackbutt
01-22-2007, 04:32 PM
Thats a pretty massive statement to make. There are many musicians far more talented lyrically, musically and vocally. Oberst hardly makes the grade compared to some of the greater singer song writers/bands.

Dirk Gently
01-22-2007, 04:43 PM
^ I agree. Can you say "Tom Waits," kids? Besides, you're talking about legendary bands/artists who also enjoyed a lot of commercial success and were pioneers of their respective genres (even though I disagree with your picks as definitive artists of a particular decade). Oberst's name isn't really known outside the indie crowd, and he's not doing anything really ground breaking. There are a lot of 14 year old girls sitting in their bedrooms with their diaries setting free-verse poetry to music.

martyr
01-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Thats a pretty massive statement to make. There are many musicians far more talented lyrically, musically and vocally. Oberst hardly makes the grade compared to some of the greater singer song writers/bands.

Are you talking about contemporary artists?

frodoisdead
01-23-2007, 07:51 PM
i find that people who love bright eyes, can connect with it on a level that the casual listener will never understand.

he is up there with dylan, elliott smith + neil young as my favourite songwriters.

dougiecrystals
01-23-2007, 08:33 PM
i find that people who love bright eyes, can connect with it on a level that the casual listener will never understand.

Word, recogniiiiize.

But seriously though, it's true.

And I'm not talking about those wannabe indie girls that think khanur is soo hot as the people that 'love' Bright Eyes.

Dirk Gently
01-23-2007, 08:44 PM
That can be said for any artist from Bright Eyes to the Grateful Dead to Kiss.

IndieMetalhead
01-23-2007, 08:49 PM
That can be said for any artist from Bright Eyes to the Grateful Dead to Kiss.

I think he was just making a point, it is indeed true for most bands. although its definately more prodiminent in bands that write songs, rather than 'write' songs

pumpkins_rule
01-23-2007, 08:55 PM
There are a lot of 14 year old girls sitting in their bedrooms with their diaries setting free-verse poetry to music.

I agree to a certain extent :p:, but I'm WIde Awake it's Morning really does have some exceptional lyrics.

IndieMetalhead
01-23-2007, 08:59 PM
I really do not know where he gets these lyrics from. Thats also what amazes me, how he can even think of things to write about! it's something i've NEVER been able to do

Dirk Gently
01-23-2007, 08:59 PM
^ His lyrics can be interesting. It's his voice that turns me off the most. I don't even know why, since I like Tom Waits and other people without *good* singing voices.
I think he was just making a point, it is indeed true for most bands. although its definately more prodiminent in bands that write songs, rather than 'write' songs
^ I agree. There are bands/artists/groups that can appeal to the lowest common denominator better than others (i.e., boy bands, pop punk, disco, etc.), whereas with groups like Bright Eyes and other indie and experimental rock artists, people tend to have more of a love or hate relationship with. Few purely casual music listeners would pick a group like Bright Eyes, Sigur Ros, or bands along those lines over a mainstream band.

jackbutt
01-24-2007, 12:08 AM
Are you talking about contemporary artists?
Not at all. I'm talking about people performing and writing NOW. I wouldn't even include Oberst on a top 50 of the 2000s, let alone place him at number one. This is definately a matter of opinion, and my number one might not be the same as everyone elses, but I'm pretty sure the votes for Oberst would come from angsty preteens who haven't been into the music long enough to hear what else is out there.

martyr
01-24-2007, 01:01 AM
Not at all. I'm talking about people performing and writing NOW. I wouldn't even include Oberst on a top 50 of the 2000s, let alone place him at number one. This is definately a matter of opinion, and my number one might not be the same as everyone elses, but I'm pretty sure the votes for Oberst would come from angsty preteens who haven't been into the music long enough to hear what else is out there.

Contemporary means parallel to whenever it was refering to, I guess I should have been specific. Contemporary does mean now, just so you know.

I totally understand your view, and appreciate it, because without it, I wouldn't have mine. I do think Conor's an amazing lyricist and composer, and definitely one of the more pertinent contemporary musicians. His music might not be complex, though I'd say a fair deal of his lyrics are, but there really aren't that many musicians that sound the way Bright Eyes does, except An Angle, lolzerz. I don't know you at all, but it seems like you have a sort of pre-determined idea of who should and does listen to his music. Which is fine, I mean we all have been conditioned to think certain ways, but I don't think that "angsty preteens" nessecarily dictate Conor or Bright Eye's career.

frodoisdead
01-24-2007, 12:24 PM
^^exactly.

my dad likes "i'm wide awake" a lot + he's past fifty.

i think the simplicity of his songs is what adds to the emotion he conveys.

IndieMetalhead
01-24-2007, 01:29 PM
Well, it wouldn't be bright eyes if he was pulling off 500bpm shred riffs all over the place.

frodoisdead
01-24-2007, 04:02 PM
mike mogis is blatently the greatest shred guitarist ever.

jackbutt
01-24-2007, 08:32 PM
Contemporary means parallel to whenever it was refering to, I guess I should have been specific. Contemporary does mean now, just so you know.

Sorry, I've always associated Contemporary as a type of furniture, not a type of music. Not a phrase I use very often.

I'm not one to tell people that their taste in music sucks, although I might think so. I also find it difficult to understand how people can listen to something when there's something so much better to be listening to. But thats the way music goes, and you wouldn't catch me dead listening to Conor Oberst or Bright Eyes when I could be listening to Slint, From Monument to Masses, Sigur Ros, Elliott Smith, etc etc. Just the same, I'm sure some people wouldn't be caught dead listening to some of the things I do.

martyr
01-24-2007, 11:43 PM
Sorry, I've always associated Contemporary as a type of furniture, not a type of music. Not a phrase I use very often.

I'm not one to tell people that their taste in music sucks, although I might think so. I also find it difficult to understand how people can listen to something when there's something so much better to be listening to. But thats the way music goes, and you wouldn't catch me dead listening to Conor Oberst or Bright Eyes when I could be listening to Slint, From Monument to Masses, Sigur Ros, Elliott Smith, etc etc. Just the same, I'm sure some people wouldn't be caught dead listening to some of the things I do.
So's the way of life.

:p:

system
01-24-2007, 11:54 PM
anyone heard his new EP yet? it's interesting. i never would have said before that bright eyes "rocks".

trev_smith12
01-25-2007, 01:42 AM
Conor Oberst is definitely not as important or proficient as some make him out to be. He is certainly not in the caliber of the defining artist of the decade, but I think most will agree that he has evolved into a talented songwriter and has written quite a good album.(I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning)

martyr
01-25-2007, 02:27 AM
anyone heard his new EP yet? it's interesting. i never would have said before that bright eyes "rocks".

Yeah, it's really good.

I especially like the title track, Four Winds, lyrically amazing.

nathan900
01-25-2007, 04:55 PM
kinda retarded

NGD1313
01-28-2007, 03:14 AM
The new EP is excellent. It's very bittersweet for me. I love the new sound, but on the other hand I miss the old acoustic guitar/almost crying in the mic thing that Conor did on some of I'm Wide Awake and his older albums. Stray Dog Freedom sounds kinda like something I woulda listened to before Bright Eyes got me into Indie (musically). Also, I don't get the huge hype around Four Winds, it's a decent track but it's not even the 3rd best song on the EP, and apparently Bright Eyes has a set line up now, it's not just Conor and a rotating crew of musicians.

martyr
01-28-2007, 04:03 AM
The new EP is excellent. It's very bittersweet for me. I love the new sound, but on the other hand I miss the old acoustic guitar/almost crying in the mic thing that Conor did on some of I'm Wide Awake and his older albums. Stray Dog Freedom sounds kinda like something I woulda listened to before Bright Eyes got me into Indie (musically). Also, I don't get the huge hype around Four Winds, it's a decent track but it's not even the 3rd best song on the EP, and apparently Bright Eyes has a set line up now, it's not just Conor and a rotating crew of musicians.

Yeah, which I'm really excited about, because I love the overall feel and texture of the EP.

oak
01-28-2007, 10:12 AM
I just listend to the ep and got kind of disappointed.... four winds was the best track without any questions but the rest, i don't no... hope conor has some great tracks on the actual album, even if he doesn't i'll just buy it because of napoleon's hat!

Paris_In_Flames
01-28-2007, 10:01 PM
hasnt the line pretty much been the same for a couple of years?

frd_marshll
01-29-2007, 12:27 AM
there are 3 guys inculeding conor the rest are rotating members

frodoisdead
01-29-2007, 07:36 AM
yeah it's conor, nate walcott + the god that is mike mogis.

uhh_me?
01-29-2007, 05:09 PM
so i finally got a collection of songs and it is all over the place...crazy unfocused
oh and the ep is ok...the violin/fiddle part at the start of four winds is kinda dumb, fav track is tourist trap

DorkusMalorkus
03-08-2007, 10:28 AM
I got Lifted...So far I think it's great. I really love "Lover I Don't Have to Love." Is this song similar to the other less "folky" things he has done, like Digital Ash In A Digital Urn?

I've avoided Bright Eyes for such a long time because a lot of douche bags that I knew went all crazy of Conor, but it is actually really good stuff.

uhh_me?
03-08-2007, 12:10 PM
I dunno, I feel like Lover I Don't Have To Love is different than anything on Digital Ash, but it is still sort of similar...

IndieMetalhead
03-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Which albums are more like digital ash anyway? i'm not too fond of the folk ;)

STRAT811
03-08-2007, 07:44 PM
^Check the b-side "I Will Be Grateful For This Day".

dougiecrystals
03-08-2007, 07:52 PM
Which albums are more like digital ash anyway? i'm not too fond of the folk ;)

The ep split with Her Space Holiday is okay.

The song he did with Dntel is aaaaaaaaaaaaaaawesome.
Best new material I've heard yet.

The song Neely O'Hara is damn good.

Umm...Loose Leaves is damn catchy.

But yeah, there's not much with the electronic feel thing.

And God, I'm disappointed with this folk crap.
:(

uhh_me?
03-08-2007, 11:26 PM
so i just decided that take it easy (love nothing) is my favorite bright eyes song...the whole situation described in that song just makes so much sense to me right now, its like he looked into the future and saw my breakup and wrote a song about it...all the little details are so familiar to me, the girl dumping the guy out of the blue, maturity issues, comfort by hiding in the blanket, the guy making himself feel better by thinking that the girl is just as hurt as him if not more

god, a few hours later and i realize how pathetic that sounds...oh well

IndieMetalhead
03-09-2007, 07:22 AM
^Indepth thinking for the win.

meltinjohn
03-10-2007, 02:01 AM
Why people act like Bright Eyes is the best thing since sliced bread I would like to know.

Sufjan Stevens is where its at.

dougiecrystals
03-10-2007, 02:02 AM
Why people act like Bright Eyes is the best thing since sliced bread I would like to know.

Meh, differ strokes, differ folks.

I find Sufjan boring.

Yeah..

...I said it.

meltinjohn
03-10-2007, 02:04 AM
Whatever. Its just that its so "cool" to like Conner Oburst.

NGD1313
03-10-2007, 02:33 AM
New Bright Eyes video for Four Winds (thisisbrighteyes.com). Good stuff, Conor looks healthy and less skeletal. I'm pretty excited for the new album. Oh, Conor Oberst > Sufjan Stevens, definitely.

AWA
03-10-2007, 03:26 AM
I have Digital Ash. Good album.

IndieMetalhead
03-10-2007, 08:30 AM

Its not the best thing since sliced bread, but its good music.

I guess you've all seen the four winds video?

oak
03-11-2007, 07:30 AM
yeah, i kinda miss the artsy touch to it.... well his hair was taking up most of my attention

TheEndHasNoEnd
04-24-2007, 11:55 AM
I've only just got into Bright Eyes recently, thought I should give him a go after all the hype. What would everyone say are his best songs for a Bright Eyes noob to check out?Cheers.

jallas
04-24-2007, 12:35 PM
^i'd reocmmend his album i'm wide awake it's morning, for a beginner :)

i got the new album yesterday. pretty fantastic, good to finally have an mp3 of everything must belong somewhere :)

Tsunoyukami
04-24-2007, 05:14 PM
Well I just picked up Cassadaga, but I haven't listened to it yet.

jallas
04-24-2007, 05:40 PM
lisssssssteeeeennnnnn to it :)
it's good.

Tsunoyukami
04-24-2007, 05:59 PM
Haha, I'm listenign now :) and so far it's good (even though I'm only on the first track).

sketchy z
04-30-2007, 02:03 PM
his new album is soooo much more mature than his other ones, lyrics and the sound, to me i just hear a more grown up conor. my favorites are lime tree and the first song what is it, kill or be kiled?

culex-knight
05-01-2007, 10:49 PM
Think the new CD is the only Bright Eyes CD I like 100%.

rushmore
05-03-2007, 04:20 PM
i went to the first show on his new tour in milwaukee on the 22nd of april and it was amazing. he played id say 8 songs off of cassadaga. then 2-3 off of digital ash (arc of time, gold mine gutted, maybe one more i dont remember now). 1 off of fevers and mirrors (calendar hung itself. he forgot a lot of the words though) and road to joy off im wide awake. its possible he played a couple more im not remembering but im pretty sure i remember him not playing anything off of lifted cause i was real mad. it was such an amazing show though and he was real trashed and talking about how he got the white suit he was wearing for p diddys party and wahtever and then at the end in the last song he fell into the orchestra and was carried off stage and while they were carrying him off stage he just threw his arms up and everyone went crazy.
one of the best shows, or the best show ive been to

EDIT: fuc.k i forgot he played false advertising off of lifted nevermind, that song was amazing live.

bah humbug
06-26-2007, 08:29 AM
who said anything about interviews? listen to his songs, for starters try when the president talks to god
For an Oberst hater, you seem know your way around the catalogue :p:

Auals
06-30-2007, 11:17 PM
New Bright Eyes video for Four Winds (thisisbrighteyes.com). Good stuff, Conor looks healthy and less skeletal. I'm pretty excited for the new album. Oh, Conor Oberst > Sufjan Stevens, definitely.

I can't stand Sufjan Stevens... it's good but there's something about it that I can't stand

It doesn't connect to anything about me, it seems hollow. But that's just personal opinion so don't go ripping me apart, I have only heard 2 or so songs so it may just be that heard not his best.

Anyway, yes I saw the video, I HATE HIS HAIR... ARGH! It reminds me of my cousins, he's starting to look like my cousin and that's NOT a good thing... he needs to cut it back to when it was shorter...

Oh and to keep with the convo, When The President Talks To God is probably the ONLY bright eyes song i've heard that I CAN'T listen to without turning it off before it's finished (and i've heard the original J-Bone recording so I have a pretty decent acceptance of what he sounds like :p:.)

laika
07-01-2007, 02:51 AM

Thats sad that u feel that way... Conor is a genious. Bright Eyes, my favourite band. Conor, my favourite poet.
Stop giving him **** unless you can find a descent reason to..

dougiecrystals
07-01-2007, 05:44 PM
Thats sad that u feel that way... Conor is a genious. Bright Eyes, my favourite band. Conor, my favourite poet.
Stop giving him **** unless you can find a descent reason to..

Lawlz. I just find it funny that there was a time when I was like this.

frd_marshll
07-02-2007, 05:14 PM
my girl friend got me the out of print box set for me brithday

im also looking for speak spanish Lp i found one on ebay for 50 bucks anybody know where i can get it for less

guitarkid247
07-03-2007, 05:14 PM
i cant stand bright eyes...i bought that one cd...listening to the ground or whatever it was called because everyone was so hyped up about him. i gave it a few weeks and i couldnt do it. he became very annoying. and then reading about how much of an asshole he is didnt make it easier to listen to the CD. then finding out he's a drunk and was totally oblilerated when i saw him live also didnt help.

he's a douche bag.

conor oberst is not a drunk!!!! he is a drug addict. but he is my very favorite drug addict.

frd_marshll
07-04-2007, 02:18 PM
he is neither you fools

ScarletSpider
07-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Ok, so if you like Bright Eyes you might enjoy Darla Farmer (http://www.myspace.com/darlafarmer).
They just finished recording an album at Saddle Creek's studios and apparently Connor has listened to it and likes it. They may be distributed by Saddle Creek. Either way they are friends of mine from Nashville, and put on a really good show.

burntvinyl
07-11-2007, 03:42 AM
i really love them.
it took me a really long time to get into his voice. but after i got passed that point, i just really love it. all of it.

CrashedTheShow3
12-09-2007, 11:57 AM
Conor oberst = responsible for Omaha shootings? (http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2007/12/conor-oberst.php)

Bull****. Goes to show how narrowminded people are

DorkusMalorkus
12-09-2007, 12:45 PM
I've had Lifted for a while, and I've liked it.

My friend let me borrow Letting Off The Happiness, and Digital Ash. I really like 'em.

I really don't give a crap about if he is an asshole or a drunk or an addict in real life. Big deal. I like the music.

uhh_me?
12-09-2007, 01:42 PM
Conor oberst = responsible for Omaha shootings? (http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2007/12/conor-oberst.php)

i'm pretty sure conor is totally responsible. i mean who else do angsty kids in nebraska have to look up to? :rolleyes:

lolmnt
12-09-2007, 01:48 PM

Bull****. Goes to show how narrowminded people areI think the kid that shot those people is responsible for the shootings.

the_astronaut
12-09-2007, 02:09 PM

Is that story serious, or taking the piss?

lolmnt
12-09-2007, 02:11 PM
Is that story serious, or taking the piss?I think it's more of an editorial than an actual news story. You know, one assholes opinion.

bah humbug
12-09-2007, 04:26 PM
i think marilyn manson is

frd_marshll
12-09-2007, 05:03 PM
what does conor have to do with emo
and the guy doesn't even give proof that the kid even listens to bright eyes

Auals
12-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Oh, Letting Off The Happiness = the shiznit of Bright Eyes Albums btw

Oh and that article = quite funny, he's quoting his lyrics so he obviously knows him, he says there's only so much (i'm paraphrasing) crap poetry and stupid music that can hold that angst in which means he's probably joking.

Even if he's NOT joking, it's still really really funny...

Anyway

If Winter Ends...

is almost perfection...

"but i give myself three days to feel better
or else i swear i'll drive right off a ****ing cliff
'cause if i can't learn to make myself feel better
how can i expect anyone else to give a ****?"

Arthur Curry
12-10-2007, 06:50 PM
conor oberst thinks he's the shit and loves to feel sorry for himself.

i think sometimes his writing is brilliant. other times i just think he sucks.

fake_sk8r182
12-11-2007, 09:37 AM
I found that article quite funny.

Sucka' can't really be too aware of well...anything if he's quoting Four Winds as an example of the 'emo' movement.

soul_power
12-22-2007, 08:53 PM
what does conor have to do with emo
and the guy doesn't even give proof that the kid even listens to bright eyes
Well his lyrics are emotional BUT bands that are usually labeled as emo are not anything like bright eyes and usually have **** lyrics and **** distorted chord progressions. I would definitely say its more indie/folk than anything else.

uhh_me?
01-05-2008, 01:53 PM
so folks, anyone of you hear the boots from the Conor solo shows? i'm listening to the one from 12/30 and it is so much better than Cassadaga.

I am Samuel
01-08-2008, 10:02 PM
Always liked them/him casually, but never thought of Bright Eyes as anything particularly amazing.

BUT....I saw them at FIB in Spain last July; they played the opening party, and they were just really uplifting. Brilliant musically.

Thefallofman
01-24-2008, 03:09 PM
I wish the Cassadaga tour would come around Ohio. :(

FreeManson15
01-25-2008, 02:32 AM
I really and honestly dont like his music, I find it horrendously boring.

sorry, I dont even really like his songwriting much either.

but I really love the song "Four Winds" by him, just amazing.

Weaponized
08-02-2012, 12:39 PM
BACK FROM THE DEAD YES

ok so Conor dropped a NEW TRACK that isn't bad!

In fact it's pretty great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=pC2m2IzHPVU

Desaparecidos - MariKKKopa

Is Conor just teasing us or should we expect an entire album? I mean Desaparecidos have been officially back since like May, they have to have recorded more right?

genghisgandhi
08-02-2012, 07:54 PM
Always liked them/him casually, but never thought of Bright Eyes as anything particularly amazing.

BUT....I saw them at FIB in Spain last July; they played the opening party, and they were just really uplifting. Brilliant musically.
Woah, this guy's avatar is cool.

Weaponized
08-10-2012, 03:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYXxgDCI7hU

Even more Desaparecidos! This one's a jab at the music industry.

Weaponized
02-26-2013, 01:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVA5ez-NZUA OMG SO GOOD GUYS FUCK

turncoat60%
02-26-2013, 04:37 PM
that is ****ing awesome. i love that song