Which Fleetwood Mac do you prefer?

PDA

View Full Version : Which Fleetwood Mac do you prefer?

joshsirjoshules
03-13-2006, 02:06 PM
I prefer the Fleetwood Mac with Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham, mostly because they had much better songs in my opinion. I mean, "Rhiannon" is absolutely perfect. Lindsey is an incredible guitarist, to me, more so than Peter Green because he knows when not to play. Stevie also has one of the most powerful voices of all time.

jono034
03-13-2006, 02:08 PM
I love both. . . Peter Green was great as is Lindsey Buckingham. I guess I just love both of them as I grew up with their music (my dad is a huge fan).

Punk Poser
03-13-2006, 03:45 PM
Peter Green era because it was more blues oriented and less pop then Stevie Nicks era. Plus Peter Green is an awesome guitarist.

cap'nkirk
03-13-2006, 03:48 PM
Peter Green all the way. Post Green Mac was ok, they had some good songs, but for the most part it didn't have the same soul. That's just my take on it though.

Calum_Barrow
03-13-2006, 04:04 PM
I like both too. Most of the songs I have are from the Buckingham era, and I love em. And Rhiannon is a great song.

TimiHendrix33
03-13-2006, 05:01 PM
Stevie Nicks/Lindsey Buckingham era.I just like their music better/

TheHeartbreaker
03-13-2006, 05:24 PM
I myself like both eras. As stated, the Peter Green era was a lot more blues-oriented, as Peter Green is an amazing blues guitarist.

When Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham came along, it definetly became more pop-oriented, but I still think that this stuff is enjoyable as well.

The one thing that stood out in the Peter Green/Jeremy Spencer era was the heart and soul that seemed to have gone into the music. Not that the latter era was heartless, but it seems as though the blues is more emotional and such.

Jack_White455
03-13-2006, 06:01 PM
I like the Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks era better myself.

JackWhite1988
03-13-2006, 07:08 PM
Both are great...but I'm gonna be trendy and go with Buckingham/Nicks because Rumors is in my top 20 albums of all-time.

KingBrendan5149
03-13-2006, 07:47 PM
what are some good albums by Fleetwood Mac? i might just check them out after seeing this thread...

ZoSoII_13
03-16-2006, 08:56 PM
Um Buckingham better than Peter Green? Just No. Thats all I can say. Green is one of the best CR guitarists of all time, and we would recognize him as such if he hadn't become psychotic for most of the 70s.

EDIT: KingBrendan get the Blues Horizon Box Set. Its a 6 cd collection of Green Era Mac, with blues jams with some large Chicago names guesting. Also it includes some outtakes that are pretty cool.

joshsirjoshules
03-16-2006, 09:34 PM
Um Buckingham better than Peter Green? Just No. Thats all I can say. Green is one of the best CR guitarists of all time, and we would recognize him as such if he hadn't become psychotic for most of the 70s.

EDIT: KingBrendan get the Blues Horizon Box Set. Its a 6 cd collection of Green Era Mac, with blues jams with some large Chicago names guesting. Also it includes some outtakes that are pretty cool.

Buckingham is much more (how to say without causing controversy) BETTER than Peter Green. There's a reason that when people hear Fleetwood Mac, they think albums such as Rumours, The Dance, Tusk, etc, and songs like Rhiannon, Changes, Dreams, Sara, Go Your Own Way and Peacekeeper. Peter Green, yes, was a good guitarist, but being psychotic got in the way. You can't deny the genius that is Lindsey Buckingham, sure he isn't the flashiest player, that's what makes him great.

EDIT: KingBrendan, if you want more of their more melodic work, I suggest getting their greatest hits, and any of the albums I listed above. To me, that era of Fleetwood Mac means way more than Green's era.

ZoSoII_13
03-16-2006, 09:45 PM
Hmmm youre right, I made it seem like I don't like Lindsey Buckingham, when in fact I like him alot. Personally I see them as 2 different bands, both being great bands. I just find I like the haunting quality of Peter Green's playing so much.

TheHeartbreaker
03-16-2006, 09:46 PM
Buckingham is much more (how to say without causing controversy) BETTER than Peter Green. There's a reason that when people hear Fleetwood Mac, they think albums such as Rumours, The Dance, Tusk, etc, and songs like Rhiannon, Changes, Dreams, Sara, Go Your Own Way and Peacekeeper. Peter Green, yes, was a good guitarist, but being psychotic got in the way. You can't deny the genius that is Lindsey Buckingham, sure he isn't the flashiest player, that's what makes him great.

EDIT: KingBrendan, if you want more of their more melodic work, I suggest getting their greatest hits, and any of the albums I listed above. To me, that era of Fleetwood Mac means way more than Green's era.

The reason most people think of those albums isn't entirely because of Lindsey Buckingham, but also Stevie Nicks. Another thing, the post-Green Fleetwood Mac was a lot more pop based and radio friendly, and released a lot of singles that caught airtime.

Peter Green's era wasn't like this. I don't believe that many singles were released during this time, but even if many were, they definetly didn't recieve the same attention and play.

Also, I might be misunderstanding you, but simply because Buckingham's era of Fleetwood Mac was better known doesn't make him a better guitarist than Green. You even said yourself he wasn't as "flashy", but if popularity mattered, people like Billy Joel Armstrong would be better than say... Paul Kossoff.

joshsirjoshules
03-16-2006, 10:04 PM
The reason most people think of those albums isn't entirely because of Lindsey Buckingham, but also Stevie Nicks. Another thing, the post-Green Fleetwood Mac was a lot more pop based and radio friendly, and released a lot of singles that caught airtime.

Peter Green's era wasn't like this. I don't believe that many singles were released during this time, but even if many were, they definetly didn't recieve the same attention and play.

Also, I might be misunderstanding you, but simply because Buckingham's era of Fleetwood Mac was better known doesn't make him a better guitarist than Green. You even said yourself he wasn't as "flashy", but if popularity mattered, people like Billy Joel Armstrong would be better than say... Paul Kossoff.

True, Lindsey & Stevie were one of the great rock and roll duos that you always hear about. They're up there with Page & Plant, Lennon & McCartney, Townshend & Daltrey, Mercury & May, Bono and Edge, Hynde and Honeyman-Scott, you get the point. They were pop-based, yes, but don't you remember that pop means "popular?"

Peter Green was also very blues-based, something I find gets in the way quite a bit when you're in a band that's trying to write good songs. Blues tends to be too flashy and always wanting to show off. There aren't too many people that have made the two go together.

No, it doesn't, you're absolutely right about that. But, what is the point of having all of those chops when you can't right good songs? I can't stress that enough, that's what Peter Green's era lacked was someone with vision and good songwriting capabilities. When you get a bunch of guys together to jam, it can go anywhere, and it can get boring really quick. Yeah, it's cool and psychedelic and everything to see everyone show off, but the idea of it is so bland, and in the end, it just gets noisy. But anyway, back to the vision and songwriting capabilities, this is where Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham's era wins out over the other. They had a great sense of melody, but they were also very original.

frippogenics
03-17-2006, 03:22 PM
Peter Green. Then Play On is an incredible album.

rocknroll blues
03-18-2006, 06:16 PM
Peter Green. Then Play On is an incredible album.

You really don't need to know anything more than that.

TheHeartbreaker
05-22-2006, 05:55 PM
^^Lol. That is true, though.

Some really great stuff on that album.

Stinging_Acid
05-22-2006, 06:36 PM
Lindsey Buckingham.
The Album "The Dance" was really good.

Derigiberble
05-23-2006, 06:12 AM
I love both eras, but Lindsey Buckinham was no where near as good a guitarist as Peter Green. Peter's blues playing for one of the bunch of white kid players back in the 60s was arguably the best along with Gallagher and Beck. To be honest Lindseys alright, but Peter is much better, just listen to him playing with the bluesbreakers to see what I mean.

Myrdinn
05-23-2006, 01:30 PM
To say Buckinham was better than Green would be to say Buckingham was greater than Clapton. I like Buckingham but at that era just before Peter Green wigged out on LSD it was pretty much known by his peers that he would've been even a better bluesman than Clapton.

Angus76
05-23-2006, 03:57 PM
Peter Green/Jeremy Spencer Era by far, I am not a huge stevie nicks fan by any means.

classrock77
02-13-2009, 11:06 PM
They were pop-based, yes, but don't you remember that pop means "popular?"

but back then pop was actually good, not like the **** today. i mean, Brittany spears is pop, fleet wood mac was back then too, but theres no comparison to todays pop. in the 70's "pop" wasn't a dirty word to people like it is now.

BrainDamage
02-13-2009, 11:10 PM
^^The last post in this thread before yours was made on 05-23-2006. Please use the other thread that you bumped.

***CLOSED***

:)