How can I get some direction with my unexprienced friends in our jamming?

PDA

View Full Version : How can I get some direction with my unexprienced friends in our jamming?

PhoeglePott
03-15-2006, 09:21 PM
I have a couple buddies I have been jamming with for a few years now. One plays drums and is still kinda newby but can keep simple beats and I've found ways to work around it. My other friend plays guitar and knows no theory and really shows no desire to learn any of it when I try to explain it to him. He's one of my best friends and I pretty much taught him evrething on guitar. But when it comes to jamming they just freak out and crank up and all that comes out is a bunch of white noise. I've got them to settle down and get serious on some rare occasions and we actually got some stuff worked at now that we can do if we're all on the same page. But frankly and I don't blame em, they get tired of me tring to correct them all the time, and I do feel bad about it, but in the same sense if we are ever going go get anywhere we need some discipline and I'm the only one who realizes it. Another thing is my friend that plays guitar has wrote a few really cool songs but the for the few good ones he's wrote he's got a bunch that dont make any sense that he thinks are awsome. And I know exactly where he's coming from because when I was younger and started playing I did the exact same thing but still dont know how to tell him that the riffs and stuff just dont add up into a song ya know. I mean I'm not tring to sound like a pompas asshole or nothing if thats how Im coming across to people but on the same level, sense I'm the only one with a strong music background I think It's my duty to try and keep them coraled ya know so if we do ever get a gig; we're not getting boo'd or laughed off the stage. Please give me some help!!!!!

hobo467
03-15-2006, 09:28 PM
When I was in another band, this was my situation everyday. I would ask if they really want to do this at all; if not, find a different one who have the same motives as you. That's the most I can offer; I understand that they're your friends, but in some cases you gotta be willing to get really serious.

thegreatindoors
03-15-2006, 09:28 PM
how old are they?

PhoeglePott
03-15-2006, 09:33 PM
we are all 21

thegreatindoors
03-15-2006, 09:41 PM
there's the problem :p:

PhoeglePott
03-15-2006, 09:53 PM
I think I'm ready though to be playing music professionally. And most people that here me play or listen to the songs I write say, "Why aren't you in a band man?". Making I'm just putting to much pressure on my buddies to do something they are incapable of for the time being I guess it took me almost a lifetime of music to get where Im at and they haven't even been playing for 5 years yet.

I also have a desire to go to college for music theory and education and get some credintialls behind me so I can maybe get a head start in the career.

Subliminal_Daze
03-15-2006, 09:54 PM
To be honest, it normally takes seperate practice sessions for each person. You sit them down and let you know what you want done for a certain part, and just work at it for like an hour. If it's already written, then you can teach it to them. If not, you can combine ideas and write together. Make sure you have around 4 hours practice time before you get in and try and get everyone together (depending on how difficult the music is,you might be able to half that practice time, but at a moderately difficult level, a good amount of practice time is needed). A good way to do any of that is to work with each for a half a day or so on and off, and then pull everyone together while it's still fresh. The finished product with sound much better, and will hook them on your stuff. I learned an album's worth of my last band's material in about 4 or 5 weeks time with this method, so this is coming from someone who's used it teaching and learning. It just seems like it's the best way to go.

That_Pink_Queen
03-16-2006, 05:01 AM
Give up. I mean really, if they show no interest, why force them into it? Find some real musicians ;)

kpasa01
03-16-2006, 05:09 AM
I don't know what kind of stuff your guys are doing when you play together. Is it that they play out of key or something. I know one thing you could do is have your friend that plays guitar to play while you do some solo riffs and make it interesting by having him change keys throughout the song. You have to kinda take control. If your drummer can at least keep that beat like hes keeping up with a metrinome then work it from there. Make sure your friend can stay with your drummer and just work it. If they aren't serious I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem finding people who are. Then if something happens with your group they will wish they had taken you seriously.

PhoeglePott
03-16-2006, 08:26 PM
Give up. I mean really, if they show no interest, why force them into it? Find some real musicians ;)

Musicians in this city are verey far and few : (

And since we try to play hard rock, blues rock, and some jazzy sounding hip hop stuff at times I've got them to hold down a chorus or AABA pattern and been able to solo. Even lately I've taught my buddy who plays guitar some scales and he's starting to develop into a soloist (and I can say It's cool watching him discover new stuff; it takes me back lol) and I'm even playing a lil rythm for him now. I'm also starting to realize since he can play simple enough leads that I can keep rythm better and lead the band better that way too. Should I compromise my soloing and lead for a better sound in the rythm section? I can also keep up fairly good on bass and have one available to jam on if needed. And having played trombone in jazz bands I know the role of the lower note rythm instruments actually leading the beat more than the drums do and stuff, but I love soloing and going crazy on the guitar. LOL WHAT DO I DO?