Gentle Giant

PDA

View Full Version : Gentle Giant

streetcarp19
03-16-2006, 01:54 AM
More prog rock than classic rock, but nonetheless an incredible group of talented musicians. Surprised I've never seen a thread on them. They can do more in five minutes than what many other prog bands could do in 15. I have the albums "In a Glass House"- 1973 and "Octopus"- 1972, and plan on getting many more.

Discuss.

psychodelia
03-16-2006, 11:32 AM
I liked The Power and the Glory.

TheHeartbreaker
03-16-2006, 02:40 PM
I don't believe I've heard these guys. Your claims make them sound good, so if I get the chance, I'll check them out.

I'm into Progressive Rock bands like Yes, and their songs are amazing. Is Gentle Gentle similar to them in sound (ideally) or are they different?

psychodelia
03-16-2006, 03:36 PM
Gentle Giant's prog music that I've heard is pretty out there. There's a couple of more straightforward rock songs, but they use more dissonance. Their instrumentation sometimes includes strings, I think? I haven't listened to them in a while. Very jazzy type of prog, they definitely aren't for everybody.

streetcarp19
03-17-2006, 12:42 AM
Yeah, it is really hard to explain...some claim to have had a terrible time trying to get into them, while I was hooked for the first listen and have yet to find a bad song.

As psycho hit on, they do use a good deal of classical intruments like the violin, sax, piano, ect...and if you are into bands like Yes, these guys will really make you questioned the greatness of those kinds of bands. Not saying that they are better, cause I love Yes, but the different styles suggest that Yes could learn a lot from these guys.

<><
07-24-2006, 01:59 PM
Yeah, it is really hard to explain...some claim to have had a terrible time trying to get into them, while I was hooked for the first listen and have yet to find a bad song.Same with me.
:cheers:

I love 'em. Brilliant band.

self-made_page
07-24-2006, 02:09 PM
Does anyone want to send me some of their songs? AIM geddylee718